Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:14 PM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

Default This is rediculous!!

I was listening to the radio today (news program, btw) and it said that Kerry might lose the election just be cause he speaks French!! No doubt this is because "France betrayed the United States" If this were true, we (the US) have betrayed almost all African and Central American nations, just to start.

*sigh*
Old 08-25-2004, 12:59 AM
Inferno Offline

Send a message via AIM to Inferno
Default Re: This is rediculous!!

I can't truthfully say that this statement is false, because the U.S. is a very fickle and irrational place. But I do not see the intelligent people in the nation caring whether Kerry speaks french or not. To me it shows that he's a very intelligent man, very educated and cultured.

So, yes, this bit about "Kerry losing the election due to his capabilities and knowledge of the french language" truly is "rediculous"
Old 08-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Champion Lance Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*KhrypticCello*~
I was listening to the radio today (news program, btw) and it said that Kerry might lose the election just be cause he speaks French!! No doubt this is because "France betrayed the United States" If this were true, we (the US) have betrayed almost all African and Central American nations, just to start.

*sigh*
I doubt he will loose the election over the fact that he speaks french.

:The Master of all Dragons has arrived in Hoenn:
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Isn't it rediculous? The mindless and baseless opinions of the ignorant masses in the United States about the French are, but one can't easily change them.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
liquid crystal Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion Lance
I doubt he will loose the election over the fact that he speaks french.

Actually, most Americans are that ignorant. >.<"

Eh, mostly the swing voters...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Matt & Vulpix Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Matt & Vulpix Send a message via Yahoo to Matt & Vulpix

I find that extremely insulting that the radio person said that. I speak French, I'm from Canada, and I find that offensive. What a stupid statement, a language shouldn't influence anything. A truly educated voter would vote based on the issues at hand.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:08 AM
VenusaurTrainer Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via MSN to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to VenusaurTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt & Vulpix
I find that extremely insulting that the radio person said that. I speak French, I'm from Canada, and I find that offensive. What a stupid statement, a language shouldn't influence anything. A truly educated voter would vote based on the issues at hand.

Meh, my two cents, I hate the French. Go Freedom Fries.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 AM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusaurTrainer
Meh, my two cents, I hate the French. Go Freedom Fries.
Please tell me you're being sarcastic... -_-
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Matt & Vulpix Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Matt & Vulpix Send a message via Yahoo to Matt & Vulpix

What have the French ever done to you? Did they attack some national monument, or did this information completly pass over my head?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 AM
VenusaurTrainer Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via MSN to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to VenusaurTrainer

No I wasent kidding I really do hate the French. I dont want to list the reasons becasue I dont want to make you French people mad.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Matt & Vulpix Offline
Banned

List 'em. Nothing can scare me, I'm Canadian need I remind you, American.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 AM
VenusaurTrainer Offline
Banned

Ok then, we asked France to help us out in Iraq and they refused, and France was also supplying gadgets and money to help Iraq build there weapons of mass destruction. So bleh. =P
Old 08-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

As a Canadian, I don't care about the French-speaking population (they're just people). I, however, do hate the french language in general.

The main problem with this issue is that pop culture in America just doesn't support anything non-American. Take professional wrestling for instance. When a Canadian group called "LA RÉSISTANCE" goes in to wrestle, the typical American audience would boo the wrestlers, attempt to interrupt our national anthem, cheer when the "good guys" interrupt our national anthem, and cheer for the "good guys" or cheer "USA" as their chants. It's just that the French already has this "bad guy" persona attached to them within pop culture, and that alone makes this ridiculous.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:00 AM
Matthew Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Send a message via Yahoo to Matthew

OMG... I can't beleive they said that... I hate how ignorrant American's are... and yes, I am an American... I don't like how thick-skulled we are... It is rather embarrasing... and I can't beleive you said that VT... You should also hate Americans because we are the ones who supplied Iraq with money and weapons and put Sadam in power (I think anyway)... Before we went to war with them in the first Gulf War....

Anyways... I am not interested in this election... I think both of the 'major' candidates are... bleh...
Old 08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Inferno Offline

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusaurTrainer
Ok then, we asked France to help us out in Iraq and they refused, and France was also supplying gadgets and money to help Iraq build there weapons of mass destruction.
Did we ever find weapons of mass destruction? I stopped paying attention, so I probably missed when USA busted in and unloaded the large nuclear bombs and whatnot.

And I think everyone that bought oil from Iraq (or any middle east country for that matter) helped them out. So that list goes on for a while, and I'm pretty sure the U.S. is on that list.

Hating a group of people because their country doesn't want to go to war with you, is as childish as hating a kid because his/her parents won't let him/her out to play with you. You have a right to ask someone for help, but in the same note they have the same right to answer Yes or No. Don't get upset and try to change the name of your fries.