Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Default The Chronicles of the Shards

This is my first real attempt at a fic, so bear with me please. There is some violence and peril, so it would be about a PG-13-ish story that comes in chapters. And yes, I know the couplet prophecy thing is a bit of a stretch as far as rhyming goes. Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Thank you.

The Chronicles of the Shards

Prologue

In a time before humans ruled the earth, there was Mew. Mew, the original Pokémon, was small and precious but held within her an amount of power that could be entrusted to no other being. Her pointed ears, long hind legs, and long, swishing tail were splashed with a shade of light pink that starkly contrasted with most of her environment.

Mew swooped up to five small brown fox-like creatures. Creations of her own, descendants from her immortal self, that she dubbed Eevee.

“Sister!” one of the Eevee yelped happily. The rest perked up their heads and leaped at Mew, Mew allowing the hyperactive creatures to tackle her to the ground. After several minutes of gleeful face licking, Mew levitated out from under them and bowed her head, about to announce something grave.

“What news do you bring, Sister?” one of them asked, curiosity visibly bubbling out from her eyes.

“I bring you word from the other Legends,” Mew began. “Their powers are strong, but not strong enough to govern every user of their element on earth. That is why I come to you,” she told them.

“But—What would we do to help the Legends?” a third Eevee asked, inclining her head to one side. Mew conjured several stones with her psychic powers, each glowing with its own unique energy: Blue, red, yellow, purple, and black.

“Take these, but once you do, you will fuse with their powers. You will transform permanently into the avatars of these gems,” Mew told them. Each hesitated.

“But why?” the more naïve and normally carefree of the five asked.

“…Because there is a power arising after the Legends. This is a power of darkness that threatens to overwhelm the entire world if we do not stop it. And stopping it begins with your transformations. Right now, as Eevee, you are a normal type. By assuming the powers of these gems, blessed by the Legends themselves, you will become the first Pokémon of any type other than normal to walk this earth. Sisters…” Mew’s voice broke, knowing exactly what she was doing. She was forcing them to assume a role they were not ready for yet, and in doing so would threaten their existence. Regardless, she knew, it had to be done.

The first Eevee sister realized this as well and placed a paw on the purple stone. She began to glow and shift, the mane around her neck and her bushy tail becoming less, her fur thinning out all over except for two tufts below her ears. Her tail split into two at the end, and when the glow ended, she was a beautiful cat-like Pokémon. Mew smiled at her.

“Espa.” Mew smiled, tying the gem around her neck. The rest eagerly gripped their respective gems and transformed into avatars of water, fire, electricity, and darkness.

“I’m sorry, Umbra,” Mew told the black Pokémon, tying the last gem around her neck. “In order to counter darkness, we need to have our own source of darkness.” She hugged Umbra. “But darkness is not necessarily evil, and it takes a strong Pokémon to be able to handle such strong power. Use your powers for good, Umbra.” She pulled away, the darkness Pokémon looking at her as her eyes were tearing from either pride or despair, even she didn’t know.

Mew backed away, looking at the new Pokémon she had created. These Pokémon would change the world, she knew. Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Espeon, and Umbreon. Avatars of the gems, Guardians of the Earth; known forevermore as the Eon Sisters.

“Be careful.” Mew flew off without another word.

That was before.

Times have since changed. Pokémon have changed, grown, evolved, and morphed into beings that are seen to this day. And the five Guardians have carried out their duties well.

Along came the humans, then. Bipedal creatures who imprisoned Pokémon in balls and used them as tools of war, social symbols, and a means of competition. There was a team of particularly evil human beings, called Team Diabolus, who used Pokémon for a particular kind of evil. Diabolus, Latin for “devil,” was exactly how they acted. Specializing in the enslavement of dark and fire-type creatures, they sought the gems that Mew created and the Pokémon that protected them.

One by one, each of the Eon Sisters was defeated and the gem around her neck stolen. Despite the help of the legendaries, the gems were taken, but their powers could only be used if they were all together. Umbreon, the Sister who embodied darkness, rose up and ferociously fought those who embraced it in an effort to prevent the last of the gems from being stolen.

Umbreon pushed her limits, refusing to give up, trying in vain to retrieve the gems. In a desperate attempt to retrieve them from around the neck of the Diabolus member that held them, she used a particularly ferocious Crunch attack, one which missed the man completely but shattered the four gems into twenty shards, each of them absorbed by one of the Legends. The evil from Team Diabolus became absorbed into the shards and corrupted the legends, transforming them into evil versions of themselves. Umbra’s own gem, however, was claimed from her dead body by the man whose cobra-like purple Arbok strangled the life from her.

As this man tried to take the gem back to his boss, however, a Noctowl grabbed it and flapped away, sensing the urgency behind the gem's absence from its owner's neck and rushed to return it to Umbreon. He saw on the wall above Umbreon's dead body a scratched prophecy, written in an ancient dialect that he could understand and illuminated by orbs of fire.

Five sisters were born centuries ago
Mew came to them with a tale to show
Embodiments of water, fire, and thunder
Psychic smarts and darkness’ plunder
The gems of power kept ‘round their necks
Until the day no one expects
Should the gems be snatched away
By evil powers that turn white gray
Then up from the shadows arise one of us
Who, though quite timid, will become a must
Flareon, Espeon, Vaporeon,
Jolteon and Umbreon
An unsung hero rise from our midst
We call to duty the Eevee Amethyst

Murkrow
Done: 800

Last edited by Darth Murkrow; 06-13-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Suicune's Child Offline
Master Trainer

Default Re: The Chronicles of the Shards

...I'm impressed. I like this, it's different. It's also well written and interesting. I look forward to the next chapter. ^_^
Ripped from my world and tossed into the role of savior, I can't decide what's harder, ending a war destined to leave this world in ruins or fighting against my longing for home. I hate this world, I love this world, but it isn't mine. Why must I save it? Faye

My Completed Fan Fictions
My Cause|An Innocent's Revenge
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

I'm glad you liked it. And I'm glad you're looking for the next chapter, because it's right here! It starts out a little slow, but it will get better. Hopefully.

Chapter 1

“Amethyst! No fair!” I narrowed my eyes at the younger Eevee desperately trying to climb the tree I was in. “You just don’t want to play!”

“You’re right. I don’t. You’re a hyperactive, annoying ball of fur. Please leave me alone,” I told my neighbor flatly, hiding any outward expression of irritability. The creature growled at me.

“Don’t do that, Elonur. It’s not exactly nice,” I warned her.

“But your momma told you that you need to play with me!” Elonur sniveled, sitting on the ground. Holy Ho-Oh, I thought, the girl’s going to start crying.

Sure enough, the wailing began. It was a horrible, shrieking sound accompanied by a small shower of tears that gave the dying grass around the tree something to appreciate. I flattened my ears against my head and growled, hackles raised, and my tail swished back and forth. That was about it. I sprang down from the tree next to her, surrendering any pride that I had left within me.

“Elonur, shut up and come on. There’s an open field we can play Pounce on Each Other in,” I announced with false happiness through bared teeth. Elonur let out a cheer and leaped on my back, and it was no easy task trudging my way to the field with a furry growth about half of my weight enthusiastically crawling all over me and chattering incessantly.

“…And then we can play Run Around and Around and Around and Around the Tree! Oh, oh, and then we can tease the Quagsire living in the pond over there and throw things at them, and then, and then, and then…”

“Hey, watch it, those Quagsire are my friends,” I warned her, not even bothering to look at the embodiment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

“Oh! Fruit!” Elonur piped up, leaping up at a tree branch but missing by about ten feet and falling on her face. I sighed and looked up. It was too high even for me to leap up. “Get it,” Elonur barked at me, standing and shaking her fur out, nodding at the red fruit dangling on the branches.

“No,” I told her without a second thought.

“Get it. Now,” she commanded me sternly, trying to look imposing. I raised my brow at her, eyes narrowed in a defiant expression.

“Perhaps I could be of some help.” I looked behind me, seeing a very familiar, if somewhat absent-looking face.

“Kiro!” I greeted the Quagsire happily, bounding up to him and nudging him. He wrapped a single light blue flipped around my body. I felt his moist slime run off onto me, but it never bothered me; Kiro and I were friends ever since he was a Wooper. Although half of the time I had to remind him who he was due to short-term memory loss triggered by falling or solid objects, he was still very loyal and kind.

“What do you need, Miss Amethyst?” he asked, oblivious to the lisp and effeminate voice in which he spoke. Elonur giggled, and I growled at her viciously.

“Leave him alone,” I warned her sternly.

“It’s fine, really Miss,” Kiro said. He looked up into the tree’s leafy branches, evidently spotted the red fruit, and looked back down at Elonur. “You want that, Little One?” he asked, Elonur nodding.

“Kiro, don’t, she’s a spoiled little—” I began, but his wide blue bulk had already pushed me gently out of the way. Once his dark blue-streaked back and tail were facing Elonur and I, the young Eevee stuck her tongue out at me, as though his reaction ultimately proved her right.

Kiro opened his wide mouth fully, forcing water up through his throat with his diaphragm. The small jet of liquid hit the fruit, knocked it from the tree, and hit him in the head. He let out a yelp and clutched at his head, Elonur letting out a gleeful cry and eating the fruit, completely ignorant of the plight of the Quagsire.

“Kiro!” I ran over to him, careful not to be in the way of his flippers or tail as he staggered. “Kiro, are you hurt?”

“Wha…? Who am I?” he asked, looking at me. “Look, an Eevee!” I sighed, rubbing against the Quagsire, forgiving him for his daily amnesia.

“Your name is Kiro, remember?” I reminded him. “And I’m Amethyst, your best friend?” I offered.

“Ame… Oh! Oh, yes!” He lisped slightly more than usual due to the impact of the fruit on his cranium. “Yes, Miss Amethyst, I will be fine, yes, very fine, yes, yes, ye—” he rambled, starting to walk away, eyes closed to display extreme cheekiness, but he walked into the tree and fell over again, more fruit tumbling down onto him.

“Ouch… Who am I?” I sighed and guided the amnesiac Quagsire back to the pond, into which he slipped on a wet, moss-covered rock with an enormous splash that had me soaked.

“What’s up with that thing?” Elonur asked rudely upon my return, the sweet juice from the fruit running down her chin into her fur. I could only imagine her ensuing entanglement on nearby plant life and nesting material. Mainly to spite her, I shook out my waterlogged fur, scattering droplets everywhere. “Hey!”

“Be quiet. That’s just how Kiro is,” I told her sternly, lying down on my stomach, sunning myself in the comforting rays of the sun. I was not hungry this morning; hungry for peace and quiet, rather, I wanted desperately to lose the younger member of my species. I came up with, internally, several ways in which to dispatch Elonur, but kept them to myself, only smiling widely.

I was on the verge of falling asleep, my subconscious creeping its way into my mind, when a fluttering of wings woke me up. I looked up, Elonur growling viciously and trying to tackle the target, which was dozens of feet above her. I stood up, stretched, and trotted over, looking into the tree.

The Noctowl in the tree appeared to be very old. His plumage was bright gold in his youth, but was now browner with some residual shimmer. The feathery crown on his head was white and frayed, as though he had been in many fights and struggles. His claws were gnarled and thin but still incredibly strong, able to secure the owl-like Pokémon to the thick branch on his he was perched. A few bald spots on his back proved his age, but his orange eyes were still as sharp as ever.

“Hello kind sir,” I greeted the elder Pokémon in the usual formality in which I was taught to address my elders. I already had a pressing question for the Noctowl that I never verbalized: What news brings you out in the daylight?

“Fairest ma’am, can you please inform me of the current location of the Eevee who is named Amethyst? I was told she lives in the grove not too far from these parts,” he spoke with some difficulty, being old and having flown for what appeared, based on his condition, to be several days.

“I am she. What is it you want?” I called up into the tree. He ruffled his feathers and flew down at me, inclining his head as he used his wingtip to guide my eye level up to him.

“You… You are really the one they call Amethyst?” he asked me.

“With all due respect, sir, I feel it is safe to say I know what it is others call me,” I told him coolly. He let out a chuckle that seemed to echo in his chest and rang louder than his speaking voice.

“Come, Amethyst, there is much I must explain to you,” he told me, turning away and starting to take off.

“But—What of Elonur? I have been charged with her safe return,” I explained, nodding at the Eevee chasing her own tail at such a rate I feared the sound barrier would break. She then fell over, genuinely confused as to why the earth around her was spinning.

“We will not go far. As long as she is entertaining herself she will pay no mind to the information that I am about to disclose to you and you alone,” the Noctowl told me gravely. My stomach gave a slight lurch, making me feel violently ill; his news could not be good.

“Me… alone? What is the matter? Who are you?” I tried to demand, my queries coming out more like frightened whispers.

“Amethyst! Make it stop!” Elonur cried out, tumbling down the hill and barreling over the Noctowl. I sighed, hiding my face for several moments. Whatever earth-shattering, cryptic, life-or-death message he had to deliver, it could not possibly compare with the humiliation I felt right now as I was now associated with Elonur.

But the expression that the Noctowl gave me as he struggled up by himself told me otherwise.

Murkrow

Last edited by Darth Murkrow; 06-14-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Suicune's Child Offline
Master Trainer

Well, as long as they tie up Elonur before she can cause further damage, the message should be delivered fairly easily. Great chapter. I'm interested to see how Amethyst is going to take the news.
Ripped from my world and tossed into the role of savior, I can't decide what's harder, ending a war destined to leave this world in ruins or fighting against my longing for home. I hate this world, I love this world, but it isn't mine. Why must I save it? Faye

My Completed Fan Fictions
My Cause|An Innocent's Revenge
Old 06-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Chapter 2

“Forgive me for not introducing myself, Amethyst.” The Noctowl realized his error, seeming more awkward now that he knew who I was and dropping some of the formality. “My name is Horus.”

“All right… Horus,” I began, wagging my tail so Elonur could play with it and be suitably distracted, “…Why do you need me? I’m just an Eevee.”

“An Eevee who is destined for greatness,” he corrected me. I gave him a skeptical raise of my brow, ignoring the fact that Elonur had just torn a clump of fur out of my now motionless tail.

“Destined for greatness? How so?” I asked him, inclining my head to one side.

“Have you heard the legend of the Eon Sisters?” he asked me.

“Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Espeon, and Umbreon?” I asked him.

“Yes,” he confirmed.

“I know a part of it. I never heard the end, though,” I explained.

“Ah. And that is why it is crucial that I came to you as early as I did,” he told me, taking in a deep breath and coughing.

“Sir, would you like anything? There is a pond over there, and we have plenty of fruit, surely you must need something after your journey,” I offered, concerned for Horus, who seemed like he was bound to collapse at any given moment.

“No, I will be fine for the time being,” Horus assured me. “What is more important is that you know what I have come for.”

“Have you gotten to the part where humans take over and try to take the gems?” I nodded, now intrigued, sitting down and relaxing, preparing for the news.

“Long story short, Umbreon fought for the gems, and they ended up shattering. She was destroyed—murdered. The shards of the gems were absorbed by the Legends, and there was a prophecy made. One Eevee would take this—” He reached back as though to preen himself, but exposed a sparkling black gem on a thick collar. I gasped and peered into it, not seeing my reflection, but rather seeing a faint glow from within. “—retrieve the shards from inside the Legends, and restore the balance of the world.” He fluffed out his feathers and offered the gem to me.

“You are that Eevee, Amethyst.”

My jaw unconsciously dropped, even though the impact of the words had not entirely hit me. It took me several moments to realize that I was the only Eevee named Amethyst that I knew. I would be responsible for the gem that Umbreon protected with her life. I would have to fight every single Legend—each transformed into a darker and more powerful form—and somehow remove an object that could fit into my paw from their bodies. I would be competing with humans, armed with bigger, stronger, and better-trained Pokémon, technological advances, and the want to control all of the elements of nature.

I started shaking. I couldn’t do this. I forced the gem away from me.

“No! I can’t live up to all of that!” I yelped, trying to sound calmer to no avail. Horus watched me shake and struggle to regain my composure, and he spoke again.

“Your name is written on the wall, Amethyst. You have to take on this role. It was decided long before your time,” he told me.

“Why? Who says that because my name is Amethyst I have to do this? Just because my name was on some wall doesn’t mean I’m entirely qualified to—to—I can’t!” I told him, collapsing on the ground, unable to see because my eyes were clouded with tears.

“I don’t know,” Horus confessed softly. I felt the gem rest on my paw, and looked up. I felt its warmth radiate through my paw, as though Umbreon’s very essence were trapped within the black crystal.

Something occurred to me then; Umbreon was an Eevee at one point, just like me. She was charged with the responsibility of embodying darkness, a choice not her own, and she fought bravely in spite of all odds. When I heard the first half of the legend as a child, I always felt sorry for Umbreon. Now, I would have the chance to take on her traits, and, in essence, to become her.

I adjusted myself, sitting up and peering deeper into the gem. I felt mysteriously drawn to it, like I felt a connection to the crystal. I shook my head, and then looked at Horus.

“All right. Help me get this on,” I told Horus. Horus picked up the gem and helped me put it around my neck, and I felt it tighten. It wasn’t uncomfortable, but I still felt the weight of my new responsibility.

“I’m sorry, Amethyst. Take Elonur home and rest yourself. You leave tomorrow.” At that, Horus flew away, struggling to stay aloft.

“…I’m tired,” Elonur told me, meaning to make a demand more than a subtle hint, but the yawn interrupted her.

“So am I. Let’s go, Elonur,” I told her, leading the way back to the grove.

I looked around the grove once I arrived, realizing it might be my last time seeing it. It was fairly shady, except for a large oval of sun in the center of the thick tree-lined meadow. The nesting areas were shaded by the trees, and the Eevee children, younger than I but older than Elonur, were daring one another to climb trees and playing roughly with one another. Elonur’s mother and my own, both a little larger than myself, bounded up to us.

“Thank Celebi you’re safe!” mine cried out. She then saw the gem around my neck and nearly burst out crying. “No. No, Ami, not you! Not now! You can’t!” I bowed my head, peering up at her with only my eyes, flashing an awkward smile. “Ami, remove that gem this instant! You are not leaving me!”

“Mother, I’m not a pup anymore. I can take care of myself. This was decided long before my birth,” I explained flatly, internally enjoying my mother’s display. She would rather have me stay at home and be a perpetual child than see her only daughter save the world’s balance. There was something about that I found incredibly humorous.

“No! You’re not leaving me! Stay with me, Ami!” I sighed, now more annoyed than anything.

“Mother, I’m sorry. I have to leave, and nothing you say can stop me. It’s for the greater good,” I told her, turning around and walking away, completely ignoring what Horus told me about resting myself at home.

“AMI!” my mother screamed after me. “Ami, you’re my greatest good! Stay here with me!”

My heart gave a jerk of empathy and I stopped in my tracks. I was my mother’s greatest good. I was her only pup; her mate, my father, disappeared long before I was born. She had no other thing left to love. I was the only other Eevee in this world that she loved unconditionally, and she expected the same from me. Had I realized that before… I turned to my mother, who was held back by several of the other Eevee in the community.

“I love you,” I called to her, trying not to burst out crying. It would be horribly unbecoming of the future world savior to cry at a display of affection from her mother. “I’ll come back, I promise. Don’t forget about me before then.”

I then turned and walked away slowly, tears running down my face. No one could see, so it wouldn’t matter. The screams of a grief-stricken mother echoed in my head until I could look back and barely hear them. At that point, I, Amethyst, the Eevee charged with a duty larger than any being could comprehend or explain in words alone, did the one thing I could; I collapsed on the ground and sobbed.

Murkrow
Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

I absolutely LOVE this Fan Fiction!!!!

This is just amazing to read...

I love your descriptions... This is so original...

It's great to hear the Pokemon's side of the battle between good and evil...

I can't wait for the next part!

AMAZING!

I'm planning on writing a Fan Fiction myself...

This has really inspired me!

Your grammar is good too!

Djax94
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

I'm so glad you like it that much!!!

Now we're getting into some action. Enjoy.

Chapter 3

I opened my eyes slowly, lifting my head. The sun had set, and I could hear the soft humming of bug Pokémon as they fluttered back to their nests to sleep the night away. I leaped to my feet, startled. How had nighttime come so fast?

I must have cried myself to sleep. I shook out my fur, embarrassed. I yawned and started up the foothill I had just approached, struggling to see in the darkness, wishing that I had waited until daylight like Horus told me to.

It just then occurred to me; Legends are recluses. How on earth was I supposed to find them, battle them, and remove the shards? I collapsed, defeated, on the ground. Horus didn’t tell me how to go about doing this part. All he did was give me Umbreon’s gem and tell me to get moving. I put my paw on the gem, feeling its warmth circulate through me.

“Umbreon, how am I supposed to do this?” I asked, not expecting any real answer. I let out a defeated sigh and stood up, moving to continue my hike, before I heard gravel crunch. I looked up, some pebbles striking me from above. I shielded myself from them, and then looked up to see three grey wolf-like Pokémon leap down and circle me. Their eyes pierced through the darkness, locked on me, and I could smell a rusty odor from their shaggy black fur. I could hear their sharp nails click on the solid rock we stood on as they hungrily paced.

I turned in a small circle, ears flattened against my head, trying to not keep my back to any of the Mightyena, but it was impossible. I could try to climb the foothill, but they could climb and leap faster and farther than me. I could leap down over the edge, but they could too, and I would surely be killed on impact with the ground as high up as I was.

“Look at this, boys,” one of the Mightyena chortled, his breath putrid with the same rusty odor that permeated his fur. I realized, sickened, that it was blood. “We’ve got ourselves some meat.”

“Are you sure? She’s awfully small,” the second asked the first, doubtful but still speaking with the air of a predator.

“Who cares?” the third snapped at him, making him back down. All three resumed their fixation on me, and the first stepped up to me.

“What brings you out here by yourself so late? Don’t you little ones stay in the grove down there? You could get hurt,” he spoke with such a false air of assurance that I wanted to maul him, if only I were slightly larger. I refused to answer him, unsure of what to say, really. I narrowed my eyes, tail wagging back and forth stiffly, and it took all of my effort to ensure that my legs were not shaking. He chuckled.

“Ah, look at her. She’s trying to act so brave. Trust me, kid, if I were you, I would be running,” he continued.

“It’s a good thing you’re not me, then,” I told him, my voice breaking in spite of all of my efforts. All three threw their heads back in laughter, and I saw the chance to make a break for it. I was on the ground before I knew what happened, a black blur over me, and I let out a yelp as I felt sharp canines sink into my back.

“You think you’re so clever, don’t you, Eevee, you mutant scourge of the earth?” the first asked. I hit the ground painfully, the air rushing into my wounds, making them sting. I let out a hiss of pain, trying to stand, but held down by a large paw.

“Hey, Boss, check out the shiny thing on her neck,” the Mightyena that held me told the leader. He looked at the gem around my neck, and I growled at him.

“Stay away from that!” I barked, struggling to get out from under his paw with no avail. The leader was taken aback for several moments, and then laughed.

“Is that your precious sparkly thing? What happens if I touch the sparkly thing?” he ran his claw down the center of the gem. “Hey, boys, I touched it. I touched the mutant’s sparkly thing!” he laughed loudly, as though he found the situation incredibly humorous.

“You don’t know who you’re messing with,” I warned them with a guttural growl, which, coming from an Eevee, must have sounded extremely amusing to them, because they could barely contain themselves. I forced myself free and darted away as fast as I could, but the leader leaped in front of me.

“And just who am I messing with?” he taunted me. I narrowed my eyes, crouched down, and prepared to attack.

“Amethyst the Eevee!” I anchored my front legs and kicked my hind legs around, sending a cloud of sand into the Mightyena’s eyes. The sand attack was enough to deter him long enough for me to leap up the rocks on the foothills. The second and third Mightyena were gaining on me, and I forced myself onto a large rock and opened my mouth, preparing a trick I had picked up on my own.

I could feel the lump of cold, writhing shadow materialize just outside of my mouth. I kept my eye on the Mightyena closest to me, forcing more of my energy into the attack. I then released the shadow ball, which struck the Mightyena in the chest. The attack would not work very well, but it certainly shocked him.

I was knocked off of my rock by a tackle attack from the third, which leaped up onto my rock and prepared to pounce on me. There was nowhere to move.

Umbreon, help me! I found myself pleading. The gem warmed up so suddenly I was caught off guard, but I soon found inspiration. I closed my eyes, finding an internal place where I was most powerful. Once I had found my center, I opened my eyes, feeling power coursing through my entire body. The Mightyena sprang, and I sprang as well.

We collided in midair, and right at the moment of impact I released my hidden power attack. I forced all of my power into his body, sending him flying backwards. I landed on the rocks, feeling lightheaded from my attack. I would definitely need to train before I tried that again. It was too late to think about training, though, for the remaining two were advancing fast.

“I’ll admit,” the leader growled, glaring at me, “you are a lot more than I expected. But look how weak you are, from an attack you aren’t strong enough to use! I would suggest you surrender quietly, and I promise we’ll make your death as fast and respectable as possible.”

“I’m not going down without a fight!” I snapped at him, but I knew he was right that I wasn’t strong enough. If I couldn’t fend off three Mightyena, how was I supposed to defeat Rayquaza or Lugia?

“As you wish. Farewell, Amethyst the Eevee.” Both of them sprang at once. I ducked out of the way and tumbled down the edge, grabbing for a stone to hold onto. I clung to the stone for dear life, my forepaws about to give, and the leader stood over me. He smiled, the cruel fanged grin of a ruthless predator, and then lowered his head next to me. He opened his mouth as though to speak, then let loose an extremely loud roar.

I let out a small scream, startled badly enough to release the rock. I hit the ground hard, looking up as the two were flying down at me. I heard something lash out at the two, and looked over at the Bayleef that had just attacked with a vine whip. The Mightyena ran off, the third joining them, and a small yellow sauropod Pokémon stood over me. I could smell the spicy aroma from the green buds, the leaf on his head swaying gently from side to side.

“That was quite a fight! Are you hurt?” the Bayleef asked me, nudging me to my feet, then retracting his vines.

“No, I’ll be fine, thank you,” I told him, hissing in pain from my wounds as I tried to stand on my own. I looked up at the Pokémon with a sheepish grin.

“No, no, please, don't move!” he piped up, lifting me onto his back with his vines.

“Thank you,” I told the Bayleef in spite of the uncomfortably bumpy ride on his back. I tried to ignore this and sat up. “What is your—?”

“QUIET!” he hissed sharply at me, stopping dead in his tracks. I held my breath. Did he hear something that I didn’t? What if the Mightyena had come back? My stomach lurched from fear, and I began to tremble again. He tilted his head, as though listening for something, and then relaxed, continuing to walk.

“You really need to be careful,” he warned me in a whisper. “The trees have ears.”

“The trees—? What kind of reason is that?” I asked him quite seriously, but he glared at me. I fell silent and sighed. I had survived a fight with three Mightyena, which would be something to be proud of, but I had to be rescued by an insane Bayleef who believed that trees could hear and understand speech. This was going to be a long night.

Murkrow

Last edited by Darth Murkrow; 06-17-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

I am not going to be online tomorrow, so I'm providing Chapter 4 early. If you need me to explain anything, or see something odd, don't be afraid to tell me.

Chapter 4

After what felt like hours of being mounted on the Bayleef’s back, I was finally dropped—not placed, literally dropped—in the middle of an open clearing. It very much resembled the grove, except that all the plant life was dead or in the process of dying, and I could see my breath before the end of my face. As I moved, I could feel dry, brittle grass crunch under my weight.

“We’re safe here,” the Bayleef confirmed with a relieved sigh, sitting down and smiling as though extremely proud of himself. I gave him a skeptical glance.

“…What are we doing here? Wait, first off, who are you?” I asked him. The Bayleef leaned his head over backward, as though the question required intense thinking. He seemed to remember his name and gasped, then frowned again.

“Oddweed. Everyone just calls Oddweed Odd,” the Bayleef told me.

“Who is everyone?” I asked him, tilting my head. He bowed his own head, then peered up at me with a sorrowful expression.

“…Everyone. Every Pokémon that sees Odd. They just say Odd.” He rocked back and forth, peering around at the dead plant life. I had no clue why the grass-type Bayleef wasn’t the least bit unnerved, being surrounded in the cold and the dark by the death of the foliage, but it was seriously starting to make me uneasy.

“Well… Odd…” I started. “…I think I should be leaving… now… I have to save the world…” I told him, getting up and starting to walk away.

“No way!” Odd leaped in front of me, which was a distance I thought no Bayleef could jump, and I screamed from shock. Odd gave me a confused look, then continued. “Is that why you have the magical shiny?”

“Magica—Oh, you mean this,” I realized, pointing at Umbreon’s gem with one paw. Odd nodded so furiously I feared that his head would roll off of his neck.

“Yes! The darkness Pokémon held that years and years ago! And you’re Amethyst?” he asked me.

“I am…” I confirmed, slightly scared that a Bayleef I had never seen before knew my name and my destiny long before I did. He leaped on me and nuzzled me with his face.

“Yay! Amethyst the Eevee is speaking to Odd! Odd is not so alone after all!” he cheered. I pushed him away and rolled out from underneath him.

“Odd, calm down!” I told him, wincing in pain from my wounds.

“You’re hurt, Amethyst. Let Odd help!” the Bayleef piped up, standing over me. He opened his mouth and exhaled deeply over my back, and I sighed, feeling like warm water had just rushed over me. I felt my wounds close off and my muscles regain their strength.

“Odd…” I gasped, standing up. I leaped into the air, landing, and then flexed my muscles. I felt completely rejuvenated, as though I had never once strained my muscles. “Odd, how did you do that?”

“Odd only did what all Bayleef can do. Sweet scent is something all Bayleef use to heal those they like,” Odd explained. In spite of the semi third-person speech Odd used, he was very good at explaining things. I smiled at him gratefully.

“Thank you.”

“You’re going to save the world, Odd needs to help as best as Odd can. Amethyst, you are very welcome,” Odd explained, bowing to me. Flattered, I looked around.

“Odd? Where is your family? Why are all of these plants dead?” I asked him. Odd swallowed hard, and then frowned at me.

“Odd will tell you,” he began sadly, motioning with his leaf for me to sit down.

“Odd once lived in a herd of happy Chikorita, Bayleef, and Meganium. They all thought Odd was weird, but otherwise were happy. There is a mountain, not far from here, where Articuno lives.” He nodded at the horizon, where the sun was rising behind a mountain. “Articuno never bothered the herd until the shards were scattered. Then things went bad.”

“Articuno used his powers to capture Pokémon and take them back up to his mountain. He would often take Chikorita, and Odd was caught one day. Odd got away, but Articuno was furious. Articuno blasted this forest with an attack, and no plants will ever grow here again. The herd went away, and Odd has not seen them since.”

My ears drooped, and I felt my heart sink. The shards had even touched his life, the life of this innocent, traumatized Bayleef. My journey wasn’t about the Legends; no, my journey was about the ordinary Pokémon, the innocent beings that did nothing wrong and who lack the power to defend themselves against the monsters created by the shards. I nuzzled the Bayleef gently and licked his cheek gently in a display of sympathy, tasting the salt water from his tears.

“I’m so sorry, Odd. I’ll help you find your herd, ok?” I promised him. He looked at me, eyes tearing but otherwise overjoyed.

“You mean that? You’ll help Odd?” he asked eagerly, and his facial expression accompanied by his hopeful eyes melted my heart. There was no way I could refuse.

“Of course I mean it. I promise.” I told him. “But let’s get some sleep, ok?”

“Fine by Odd. Good night, Amethyst,” he piped up, falling onto his stomach and dropping his head onto the ground, neither of which seemed to hurt him in the slightest. I found myself giggling, but then cleared my throat and stopped.

“Good night, Odd,” I smiled, curling up in a tight wad beside him. I could feel his head and neck curve around me, and it made me feel secure. I closed my eyes, and suddenly felt Umbreon’s gem grow warm. It felt nice, considering the frosty environment and colder temperatures, and it lulled me to sleep.

I was surrounded by silvery mist, and I felt the ground underneath me, but I could not see the ground below me. I jumped and backed up, looking around the rest of my surroundings. I was… in oblivion. There was nothing to serve as backdrop but a blue color so deep it appeared black. The mist was the only thing that I could use to discern up from down. I looked straight ahead, seeing the mist part for a single figure.

Her cat-like figure was thin but well built, and every step she took was elegant and called attention to her smooth, rippling black coat. Transfixed, my eyes were stunned by the appearance of yellow rings on her legs, tail, ears, and body that sharply contrasted with the otherwise flawless coverage of black. Her eyes, red and slit, gave her an almost demonic appearance, but there was nothing otherwise threatening about her. She looked directly at me, and I instinctively dropped as low as I could in her presence.

Umbreon continued her steady, rhythmic gait toward me. She looked down at me and smiled reassuringly, and I could feel confidence building within me. I stood up carefully, and then looked up at her.

“Don’t try speak, Amethyst,” she said suddenly. I opened my mouth to say something, but couldn’t. What happened to my voice? “Fear not, your voice will return upon your exit. This is not a dream you are experiencing.” If not a dream, then what was it? Umbreon must have seen my confusion, because she smiled at me. I expected her to laugh, but she didn’t—it was almost like she had lost the capacity to.

“You are inside of the gem that you carry around your neck.” I would have let out a startled yelp if I could, but I had lost complete control of my voice. How did I get inside of the gem? Was Odd ok? Umbreon smiled again, as though reading my thoughts.

“Your conscious mind is within the gem, but your physical body remains outside. That is why you cannot speak. Fear not, you are still alive, and Odd is as well. How do I know about Odd? You and I have a psychic link, and this gem is the reason.”

“My sister Espeon predicted that, in the future, you would come and assume the necessary role to save us. She could never guess, though, that they would be murdered and their gems shattered. I did not mean to shatter the gems; it was only my attempt to prevent the balance of the world from coming apart due to the humans. After the man’s enslaved Arbok murdered me, my spirit became trapped within my own gem; the gem I was charged with guarding now protected me. I have been in here for many years, using what limited powers I had to seek you out.”

“Regardless, after my sisters died, as we were the original Eon Sisters, they must all have become trapped within their gems as well, and my crunch attack shattered their gems as well as their spirits. They reside now in different pieces within the Legends, and their powers were fused with the Legends in addition to the evil in the gems themselves. In order for us to be at peace, the gems must be repaired and, though we will be trapped in them for eternity, we will be together, doing the job we were destined for those many years ago.”

I looked up at Umbreon in awe. There was more than just the gems; the five original Eon Sisters were trapped inside of the Legends! I felt overwhelmed by this task; so many lives were relying on me, and even the afterlife of the Eon Sisters!

“I understand, Amethyst. It’s overwhelming to be influenced by powers you cannot control. I know, because I embody the darkness I had to fight against. I failed, but you will not, I feel it. I used this gem for meditation; it is a very peaceful place to be. You may come here whenever you wish. You can also use my powers through the gem, and my energy will fuel you, but it is extremely draining for the both of us. All you have to do is summon me with your heart when you have no other choice,” Umbreon explained.

That’s what powered up my hidden power attack, then! And that’s why I felt so weak after using it! I gave Umbreon the most grateful expression I could, and she smiled back.

“You’re quite welcome. It is almost time for you to wake up and return to your world. I’m always with you. Good luck, Amethyst.” At that, my surroundings became a nauseating blur of color, and a rushing sound made my ears pop as I saw Umbreon, the only stable object in the scene, stare after me. She closed her eyes, and I was surrounded in the comfortable void of my subconscious.

Murkrow
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

This chapter was really hard for me to write. I don't know why, it just was. Enjoy.

Chapter 5

I woke up slowly, feeling too lethargic to do anything. I inhaled deeply through my nose, and then drank in the scenery with my eyes and ears. I was no longer inside of the gem. But Umbreon was, and would remain forever. I shuddered as I remembered the void of the gem’s inside, nothing but swirling mist and the imprisoned spirit that was Umbreon, trapped for eternity.

I looked down at the gem, which sparkled even in the sparse sunlight. Not even shattering the gem would set her free. My heart gave a sudden jerk. Why did the Eon Sisters need to be trapped? They never chose to be bound to these gems of power for eternity! They performed their jobs as guardians well enough for one lifetime, why must they bound to earth forever?

I looked over at Odd, who had been awake before me. He whipped his head forward and jerked back, the leaf on the top of his head slicing into the bark of the tree he was attacking. He repeated the gesture, but I could think of no practical reason as to why. I carefully stepped closer to him, being careful to avoid the sharp leaf.

“Odd?” I asked him. He jumped, leaf spiraling and launching a razor leaf attack at me. I let out a shriek and leaped out of the way, several small shrubs being trimmed from the sharp blade-like leaves he had launched.

“Amethyst! Odd is very sorry,” Odd murmured to the ground upon realizing it was me.

“Odd? Are you ok?” I asked him carefully. He looked up at me and nodded violently. “What happened to you?” No answer. I sighed, watching the Bayleef continue to slice at the tree.

“We’d better get moving, Odd,” I started carefully. “I have a job to do, and if I don’t—” I started before realizing that Odd still wasn’t listening to me. I took a closer look at the tree, seeing that it was scratched in multiple places from Odd’s attack. All of it was scratched except for some of the bark, which had a small blue tinge to it.

“Odd, duck!” I cried, tackling the Bayleef to the ground as the tree was coated in a thick layer of ice. I heard a loud screeching sound overhead and looked up, blinded by the light that reflected off of the ice, once it cleared, I saw a Pokémon that I knew only through mythology.

Articuno was a stunningly beautiful bird Pokémon, but also held about him an aura of danger. His feathers were varying shades of blue and seemed to move of their own accord, as though the winds at this level were not fit to ruffle them. His long, thin legs held sharp talons, which I could tell were incredibly strong despite their looks. However, the dangerous aspects of him were magnified, and his feathers varied in shades from dark blue to purple, and his talons were longer. Articuno did not resemble himself anymore.

I allowed Odd to stand up, backing away from the Legend hovering over my head. He let out a shriek and swooped down at me so quickly I wasn’t sure of how to react. I felt his claws strike me.

I was thrown several feet away, only stopping my flight when I painfully struck a tree. Shaking loosened chunks of bark out of my fur, I let out a fierce growl and sprang, Articuno seeing me and effortlessly swinging his wings at me, sending me flying again.

“ODD!” I screamed, struggling to my feet and leaping out of the tree I had become caught in, striking the ground below me and catching my fur on some thorny brush. I struggled free, then looked up to see Odd being lifted up by Articuno’s ominous claws.

“ODD, NO!” I shrieked as loudly as I could, opening my mouth and summoning a shadow ball attack. I tripped over a root, disrupting my attack and twisting my right hind leg out. I didn’t care; I wanted Odd back. I couldn’t let Odd be taken by evil!

I forced myself to my feet and continued at a gallop, my leg hurting so badly I had to stop. I summoned a shadow ball to my mouth, glaring at Articuno as I felt the ethereal energy draw its powers from my own strength. I released the dark purple ball of darkness, panting from exertion, feeling lightheaded again. I looked up at Articuno, who had just been struck by the attack. My heart sank, though, as I realized what had happened; Articuno shook off the attack as though it were nothing.

I closed my eyes, trying to find my center, but I was too scared and weakened to begin trying to bring peace to myself. I opened my eyes to see Articuno diving straight at me. I screamed and pulled myself away, leg throbbing, and Articuno thrust Odd forward, claws aimed at the ground. Impact was made, and I heard Odd scream, the shockwave from the hit knocking me onto my side.

I stood up and kicked up a sand attack, which Articuno shook off like a harmless cloud of gnats. I looked up in fear, Articuno glaring at me. He let out a loud screech; it wasn’t the melodious sound I would imagine that a Legend would sing out in, but a garish noise that resembled a Gyarados’s roar. My ears flattened back instinctively, hurt by the loud, rasping sound.

I shivered and forced myself up, seeing Odd still clenched in the corrupted Legend’s talons. I let out a growl, trying to intimidate the creature, then leaped up, tackling his chest. I was encountered with a rock-hard area of flesh that gave me a throbbing headache, Articuno laughing at me.

“Fool,” he chuckled, spreading his wings. “You, harmless little Eevee, think you can hurt a Legend? You’re nothing but a little mutant, you know that, don’t you?” he taunted me. I bit my lower lip and tried to think. How could I attack Articuno, free Odd, and remove the shard?

“I was charged with this quest long before you were around,” I growled, referring to the darkened Articuno. He let out a long, genuine laugh.

“Really now? What prophet would ever, in their right mind, pick an Eevee to fight me?” he asked skeptically.

“Articuno, please, fight it! You’ve been corrupted! This isn’t who you really are! You save humans and Pokémon from the mountains when blizzards strike! You’re a beacon of hope, not of destruction! The evil humans made you what you are!” I shouted up at him.

“If this is the sort of power humans have, I should cooperate with them more often!” he laughed, starting to fly off with Odd.

“Put him down!” I cried, launching another shadow ball. Articuno seemed somewhat startled by the blast, shrieked, and flapped at me. I leaped onto his back—which took a lot of effort on my part—and bit into his neck, gripping his feathers with my paws.

“Let go, you infernal creature!” Articuno barked, performing an odd barrel roll to try and make me fall off. I clung to his feathers for dear life, feeling sick from the sensation.

“Not until you let him go!” I shouted back, trembling from fright and fatigue.

“What does the life of one Bayleef matter in the grand scheme of things?”

“He matters to me!”

“Get OFF!”

“NO!”

Our fighting continued, and Articuno flew while arguing with me, taking the time and effort to try and knock me off of his back. I clung on as tightly as I could, tears streaming down my face. There was no way I could let Odd or Umbreon down! I had to fight until my last dying moment, and even then keep pushing myself!

I was forced to peer over Articuno’s back and nearly became ill. I was so high up that the snowcaps below me looked like dew droplets. I had imagined the foothills as being high; however, a fall from this distance would surely kill all three of us. It was incredibly cold up this high, and I noticed that ice was forming on Odd. Odd wouldn’t survive long up here; I had to get Articuno to land without hurting him!

I found my center, focused as hard as I could, and put all of my remaining energy into a hidden power attack that I forced into Articuno. Articuno let out a screech and tumbled, and I almost fell off. He was plummeting down to earth, which was encouragement to me to use more power. The ground below me blurred, and my vision was blacking out. I could taste the blood running into my mouth from my nose, and I knew that I had pushed it way too far.

Articuno slammed into a rocky side of the mountain, and I leaped off just as he fell. When he made impact with the ground, I saw a small sliver of blue emerge from his chest and hover in front of me. I reached for it with one paw, forcing myself up with the other, but it was just beyond my reach. I collapsed on the ground, my fur stained with blood, sight completely gone, and fatigue like I had never experienced before poisoning every single fiber of my being. I closed my eyes and ceased to be awake.

Murkrow
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

It's okay, everyone has a time when they get writer's block. Sometimes it's for no apparent reason. One good way to oversome it is to read your fanfic over again, get thinking about it and what'll happen next.

In any case, I like this a lot. It's intriguing, and a fun read, not to mention the Eeveeloutions involved in the plot. I can't wait to see more. ^^

Old 06-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Is a writer's block when you get stuck for ideas?

It doesn't matter if you have that!

I'm not surprised with a plot that deep and descriptive!

I love this Fic!

When's the next chapter?

It must be hard to write this stuff, man!

I can wait...

LMAO

You're totally awesome!

Djax94
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

ASB|URPG

Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

You are all too kind...

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. The next chapter will be up soon, I promise!

Murkrow
Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

I'm surprised that you don't think I'm a kissa**!

Like someone else said...

Roughly, how long does it take you to write a chapter?

And how long did it take you to come up with this idea? Plus the rhyme in the first chapter?

Your #1 Fan,

Djax94

ASB|URPG

Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Yay! I have a #1 fan! Gah, I sound like an egomaniac...

On a good day, once I know what direction I want to take, it could take several hours to write a chapter and make sure that it is good enough for others to understand. The chapters are roughly four pages on Microsoft word.

My ideas just come to me over time. It's nothing that I come up with instantly, but rather a meld of ideas that didn't work before combined into one large story that just seems to work. I'm not a writer who uses complicated plot webs or brainstorms for long periods of time, I just sit at my computer, explore some websites (Seventh Sanctum is my primary brainstorming source) to try and generate some ideas.

On a generator website, I rolled up something along the lines of "Five plates that are components to a larger device" and tried to work that into a non-Pokemon story without success. Then, I realized there were five eeveelutions (not including Leafeon and Glaceon at the time), and a lot of the legendary Pokemon had matching types. Eevee is a rather versatile Pokemon on its own, able to evolve into any of these types, and I always thought it would make a good hero Pokemon, and one that doesn't seem to be used often in comparison to other species like Pikachu.

As far as her name goes, Amethyst is my birthstone, and it just sort of stuck. I have no clue why.

As far as the overall idea, it sort of stewed in my brain for... a month, probably?

And the rhyme... it took me about two days to get it to that point. Rhyming was never a strong point of mine, and poetry is even worse. I finally just decided to leave it like that.

I hope I've answered your questions.

~Darth

Murkrow
Old 06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Chapter 6 took a really long time, too, and it nearly became five pages!

Chapter 6

“Amethyst?” I opened my eyes and blinked, trying to stop seeing triple. I looked up, seeing three Bayleef standing over me. I closed my eyes and shook out my head, looking up. There were only two Bayleef this time.

“Odd?” I asked.

“Ami! Odd thought you were dead!” he cheered, leaping over me and nuzzling me, obviously overjoyed with the fact that I was not dead.

“Odd, sir, please let Amethyst breathe.” Odd shrank away, and I looked up at Articuno, restored to his former self. I gasped and tried to get up to bow, but could barely move. “Amethyst, rest yourself. You had quite a battle, and I am impressed, considering that you are an Eevee. No offense,” he added as an afterthought.

“Not a problem, but… how long was I out?” I asked them.

“Days,” Odd said simply.

“Days,” I repeated, skeptically raising my brow. Odd nodded violently. Articuno nodded at the ground before me, and I looked to see a small blue shard. I reached forward, yelping in pain from my strained muscles, then lay backward again, internally cursing.

“Please, rest! You’ve pushed yourself way too hard! We need to make sure you’re ok!” Aritcuno half-laughed, amused somehow at my determination.

“Yes! Odd was very worried,” Odd assured me, laying down next to me. Articuno sat on the other side of me, careful to avoid the shard.

“I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you did. If you had not removed that accursed gem from me, who knows what other wrongs I would have committed. I truly am in your debt,” Articuno told me, bowing his head. I smiled at the Legend.

“It’s not a problem, really,” I assured him.

“I only ask that you take the shard away from me as soon as possible.”

“Oh, of course!” I reached for the gem, holding my breath and dragging it to me, clutching it in both of my forepaws, letting out my breath in a hiss. The shard took on an odd glow and was siphoned out of my hands in a beam of light, drawn into the black gem around my neck.

“Where’d it go? Umbreon?” I asked, not hearing any answer. I sighed, making a mental note to contact her later tonight.

“Come. There is something I must show you,” Articuno said, standing up. Odd scooped me up and placed me on Articuno’s back with his vines, then Articuno bent down to allow the Bayleef up. He flapped carefully around the mountain, the cold air making me shudder. I looked over at the sun and realized, from its position, that it was noon. I looked over as soon as I felt Articuno adjust his position in the air, approaching a bubbling pool of water several miles beneath our former location.

Articuno landed, bending over to let Odd and I off of his back. Both of us, just beside the pond, were blasted with steam.

“The magma running under this mountain heats the mineral water, and it created this spring. I don’t use it personally, but many of the Pokémon that pass through here do. I figured, as a reward for saving me, that I should show you its location so you could bathe in it for a while. It will help heal your injuries,” Articuno told us.

“Thank you!” I gasped, mainly because Odd had just tilted his body and submerged me in the water. I gasped as I came up, Odd leaping in and splashing me. “Odd!” I laughed, splashing him, already feeling much better. The warm water immediately penetrated my skin and relaxed my muscles, and I sighed in contentment.

“Oh? We have a visitor,” Articuno began. I looked up, seeing a small, shivering figure collapse. He glanced at us again. “I am afraid I must leave you. Farewell, and may you have good luck with the rest of your journey,” he told me, bowing his head, then flying off.

“Artic—!” I began, but he was already gone. Why did he need to leave so quickly? I looked back at the figure, who was stumbling this way, and gasped out loud.

His pointed ears were drooping, his small, furry body trembling from his travels. His cheeks, normally crimson in color, were now a pale pink from poor health. His lightning bolt tail lifted up and down with every breath, and he was obviously in need of help. I pulled myself from the spring, wincing when the cold air struck my wet body, and hobbled over to the Pikachu, grateful that I could walk.

“Are you ok?” I asked him, offering my back to the Pikachu to lean on so he could support most of his weight. He winced away from me, and I looked into his face; he held an apprehensive look, and seemed incredibly shy. I smiled at him, and he only seemed more intimidated.

“No, no, I don’t want to trouble you…” he murmured, embarrassed, scratching at an ear with one of his front paws.

“It’s not a problem, really! Believe me, I’ve had a lot of those lately!” I told him with a laugh. The Pikachu mumbled something under his breath. “What?” I asked. The Pikachu jumped and shrank back into the shadows, shaking. I looked over at Odd, who looked ready to drag the Pikachu into the spring, but I gave him a look telling him to stay there. He obeyed and proceeded to pop the bubbles in the water with the tip of his leaf. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the electric rodent before me.

I sat down next to the Pikachu, who looked exceedingly uncomfortable with my presence. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. Embarrassed, I shook my head and tried again.

“…What’s your name?” I asked him. He looked up at me, and I noticed that his coloration was more orange than the yellow of most Pikachus.

“Rae,” he told me quietly.

“I love that name,” I told him, wrapping my tail around his body to try and keep him warm and make him feel comfortable. I still felt him shaking under my tail, but I wasn’t sure whether it was from cold or from fear.

“…Really?” he whispered, looking at me. I nodded at him. I saw a hint of a smile creep onto his face. He looked at the gem around my neck. “Umbreon’s gem… You’re Amethyst. The story… it’s real?”

“I’m afraid so. Come on, I’ll explain. You can stay with us tonight, Rae,” I told him, standing up and smiling at him. He smiled back and allowed me to lead him back to Odd, who proceeded to aggressively welcome the newcomer to our group.

“Amethyst, I know what you want to ask me.” I looked up, seeing Umbreon sit before me. “The shard is safe in here with me. Once all of the gems have regenerated, it will be your job to deliver them safely to Mew. Only Mew will know what to do with them.”

I nodded, suddenly thinking about the world outside of the gem and how much Umbreon was missing. Umbreon sat next to me and stared up into the void, as though trying to will the stars and moon into existence.

“I’ve almost forgotten what the stars look like,” she sighed, and I looked into her eyes. Inside of the red eyes was a hint of sadness that I had never noticed before. She looked down at the ground. “Katana was the first to teach me to see the beauty in darkness.” I gave her a confused look, and she took it upon herself to explain.

“I was in love once, Amethyst,” she began. “It was inevitable. When I saw Katana for the first time, he won me over. The fact he was a Sneasel had nothing to do with it, even though my sisters insisted that it did.” I tried to imagine Umbreon paired with a Sneasel, a dark-colored creature with sharp claws and a red feather on its head. She saw my skeptical glance and smiled at me.

“Katana would come to me every night, and we would sit outside the dark cave I called my home and look up at the stars and the moon. He made it a point to compare me to these celestial bodies, and when, frustrated with my predicament, I asked him what was left for me to live for, embodying darkness against my will. He told me, then, something I could never forget:

“There is some light in all darkness. Even if things look bad, remember that there is always someone who will love you and care about you, no matter what.”

“At that, he left me there to ponder his words. At the time, I never realized that it would be the last time I would ever see him, so I trivialized his words, taking them for granted as a lover’s way to make their partner feel better about themselves. The very next day, I was killed.” Tears began to form in her eyes. She turned her face toward the ground, closing her eyes and letting the tears roll down her face, but never allowing her voice to break for an instant.

“Amethyst, please, hold those you love close to you. Odd and Rae mean more to you than you will ever realize, and you to them. If you were to die, and never see them again, all of you would be crushed, and the reverse would also be true. I have been cursed, having my conscious mind trapped on earth forever to feel guilt over what I will never see or feel again. Please, as you retrieve the shards, don’t ever for an instant think that Odd or Rae doesn’t mean anything they say to you.”

She looked up at me, and I could see the familiar feeling of being pulled out of the gem into my world.

“If you see Katana, tell him Umbra-Chan wishes her best!” she called to me, and I wondered about this for a moment before I was startled awake.

I looked around the cave our trio had taken refuge in, and then squinted into the wide opening, where a hard rain was coming down. Why would it be raining? We were still in Articuno’s mountain territory; it should be snowing! I ignored this for the time being and looked at Odd and Rae, who were both sound asleep. The Bayleef mumbled something in his sleep about flowers, and Rae trembled and kicked at the air with an occasional whimper. I smiled at the two Pokémon, both so… different in the eyes of others. I curled up between them, wrapping my tail around Rae to keep him warm, and I could feel his trembling lessen almost instantly.

“There is some light in all darkness. Even if things look bad, remember that there is always someone who will love you and care about you, no matter what.”

Katana’s words were well intentioned, and I was thankful that Umbreon had told me about him. He cared for her deeply, just as I cared for these two Pokémon, dropped into these circumstances by fault not of their own, their destinies intertwined with mine.

“Good night, guys,” I whispered to them, resting my head on my paws and listening to the sound of the rain, waiting for the rays of sunshine to signal a time to begin our trip again.

Murkrow