Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: The Chronicles of the Shards

I'm really glad you like Odd! Yes, he really is out there, expect to see a lot more of him in the future.

I generated the name "Oddweed" on an online generator designed to produce names for Treeants from LoTR. I'm not a fan, but I was looking for names for a Bayleef character. I picked Bayleef, as it seems underused, and once I lay eyes on the name "Oddweed" I just had to make him a strange character. I actually had him portrayed as more of a hippy before I named him, but I'm so glad I didn't stick with that.

Other than Odd, I tend to base my characters on people I know. Rae is based on a male friend of mine at school that, yes, really does act like that. I watched Pirates of the Carribean, and that's part of what made Salty. Amethyst... is a typical hero mold, really. I tried to develop her in such a way that it's not that obvious, and I guess it's working.

I'm really glad you all like this. I'm working on the time traveling bit right now, so expect to see that soon.

~Darth

Murkrow
Done: 800
Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Wow, I wrote this up really quickly. There's a lot here (six pages in Word), I became a little carried away with the emotions. I was thinking I could devote a chapter to each of the sisters, which would probably seem a little repetitive and dragging, but I'm hoping to give Amethyst more of a developed purpose as to acquiring these shards and putting them to rest.

Details of Salty's past with Vapor are revealed.

Probably a little late now, but pretty graphic, minor curses towards the end.

I really enjoyed writing this (not the actual graphic stuff, but you should know what I mean). It was emotionally exhausting, though. Again, expect the next really soon.

Chapter 16

“Are you ready?” Celebi asked. I nodded, then looked at Rae, who nodded weakly. I hoped he would be all right with time traveling. I had never actually done this before, either, so there was a part of me that feared for my own safety. Celebi looked up at Odd and Salty.

“You two stay here until we get back,” Celebi told them. Salty nodded, his expression grave, and Odd continued to pout, throwing himself at the ground, as though trying to charm Celebi into letting him come. Celebi either ignored this or never noticed to begin with, and her eyes glowed a light green color that looked almost white. Instantly, the world around me became a blur of color, and I felt myself pulled forward, my heart, stomach, and lungs left somewhere behind me. There was no breeze, but my ears were forced against my head, and I shut my eyes in an effort to relieve them of the discomfort of the trip.

There was no solid surface beneath my paws, but I didn’t feel like I was floating, either. I knew that I was made of matter, and I could feel Rae’s grip on my mane. I opened my eyes, and I could feel my feet hit the ground suddenly.

I staggered forward as my insides suddenly caught up with the rest of me, tripping over my paws as I did. Rae, who still had not let go of Celebi or me, had fallen over me, and with a screech, Celebi followed shortly. I had to wait until those two clambered off before I could even move.

“Stay close. No one will be able to see you, because we’re in limbo right now, but there’s a chance I won’t be able to find you if we become separated,” Celebi warned us.

“Limbo?” I asked.

“The route between the living and the nonliving. Normally souls that travel here are from the dead, waiting to be reincarnated into a new life. My powers allow me to exploit a part of this to travel,” Celebi explained. Just after she explained this, I noticed that Umbreon’s gem no longer had the same pulsating feel to it.

“Umbreon?” I whispered, feeling at the gem. Celebi glanced at me.

“Right now, Umbreon’s in the past. The Eon Sisters were trapped on earth after their deaths, supposedly,” Celebi told me with a casual shrug. I had the feeling that no one except me knew that Umbreon’s spirit was alive within the gem, and I assumed that no one was supposed to know, either.

“Look, it’s the shore!” Rae piped up, testing out his voice again. Celebi gripped us both, and, against our will, went underneath the water. I closed my mouth and held my breath, but I could feel Rae’s quick, frightened breathing beside me, and I realized that I could breathe underneath the water, because I wasn’t actually physically present.

“Here comes Vapor,” Celebi warned us. I looked up upon hearing loud giggling, and a deep chuckle shortly after. In a flurry of bubbles, a laughing Vaporeon with a bright blue gem around her neck and a Kingler appeared before us. My heart skipped a beat as I recognized the Kingler as Salty, albeit years before I had first met him. Vapor’s sleek, light blue figure twirled in midair, and she flapped her tail to perform a graceful flip around Salty, laughing again.

“Aye, ye win again, Vapor,” the past Salty laughed, his dialect still there but the harshness completely absent.

“You’re just letting me win, aren’t you?” Vapor giggled childishly, grinning from one fin-like ear to the other. Salty looked jokingly resentful, and he shoved her gently, making her break into hysteric giggling again.

“Vapor was the most carefree of the sisters. She was just like the water element she embodied; go with the flow. She never held on to one negative thought or feeling for long,” Celebi explained, and Vapor guided her body to the seafloor and inclined her head to one side, raking her paws through the sand. She exposed a bright pink pearl, and she let out a small gasp. With a delighted squeal, she removed it from the sand and displayed it to Salty.

“I’s a Clamperl pearl. They only create tha one, an’ then they evolve,” he explained to her. Vapor examined it all over in both of her paws.

“Salty?” she started, looking at him. The Kingler looked up at Vapor in response. “…Do all Pokémon leave something behind when they change? Is there always a part of them somewhere?” The deep question pained me greatly, perhaps because I already knew what was to happen to them. They were all going to be left behind on earth, trapped in perpetual solitude in their gems, while those they loved were still alive and aching. And Vaporeon seemed so carefree; it was hard to… imagine her dead. I could feel tears springing to my eyes, and Salty at once seemed to recognize the situation.

“I d’know, lass. I cannae tell ye,” he answered honestly. Both of them smiled warmly at each other, Vapor with a slight blush, and swam off. We followed them into Vapor’s rocky home, and I gasped.

Several undersea treasures sparkled at me, ranging from interesting colored rocks to fascinating seashells. Vapor appeared indecisive for a moment, and then floated up towards the top of her collection, where several human artifacts rested. They were composed of miniatures, many of undersea Pokémon, and utensils that I supposed were used for eating. She repositioned them compulsively before deciding that the pearl would best fit between a sparkling miniature Kyogre and a coiled, miniature Milotic that seemed ready to swim away at any moment. Satisfied, Vapor waved goodbye to Salty with an enthusiastic flip of her tail and surfaced, curling up on a rock with a great yawn and falling asleep.

“Now, I’ll be taking you to the final three days of each of them; the day before their death, the day of, and the day after. You’ve just seen what happened the day before Vapor died,” Celebi explained to me. I nodded, bracing myself. The environment around us shifted, and Vapor was just about to leave her cave. I wanted to shout something to her, to warn her of what was going to happen, but I knew that I couldn’t. She wouldn’t hear me, anyway.

We followed her out of her cave, and I interpreted each of my own heartbeats as one closer to Vapor’s demise. I felt a shadow fall over us, and Vapor looked up just as I did. It was a frighteningly familiar shape, one that I had seen some time before.

“It’s a boat,” Rae murmured from beside me, startling me badly. I was so engrossed in the vision that I forgot that he was even there.

“Yes. A boat of Team Diabolus,” Celebi started. I began to tremble, and Rae’s paws flew to me and clung to my fur, and I knew he was scared for her as well. Two figures splashed down, and Vapor immediately slunk back to her cave, frightened by the approaching bipeds. They were dressed in some sort of diving suits with fins that allowed them to swim to this depth, and at least three Pokéballs clung to belts outside of their suits.

One of them pointed to Vapor, specifically to the gem around her neck, and the other nodded. The one that pointed drew one Pokéball, exposing a tailless Sharpedo. The other released two creatures, another Sharpedo and a winding, fanged Huntail. Vapor let out a growl and swished her tail, prepared to fight.

The Huntail moved first. Its speckled turquoise length flashed forward at Vapor, who pushed off of the sandy seafloor, moving so fast that she seemed to dissolve into the water. She reappeared on the opposite side of the Huntail, then rocketed at her foe, her quick attack succeeding in sending the Pokémon into several of the seabed rocks.

Both Sharpedo, though, would be harder to dispatch than the Huntail had been, and I could see Vapor flinch, as though realizing this for herself. She opened her mouth and launched a rainbow beam from her mouth, both of the Sharpedo dodging the attack. One darted past her body, creating a red, bleeding scrape across the entire left side of her body and some of her chin where the creature’s rough skin had scraped her raw. The other Sharpedo grabbed Vapor in its mouth, and she released her acid armor in a valiant attempt to counter, bubbling fluid secreting from her pores.

The Sharpedo roared in pain and released her, and Vapor took this chance to swim away, and I flinched as her wound flashed before my eyes. It looked excruciatingly painful, but she couldn’t stop fighting. Both Sharpedo swam up beside each other, and then rocketed at Vapor. Vapor feigned a dive but swam up between them, more of her skin scraped off by the Sharpedo. She caught and balanced herself, launching another aurora beam attack at them. One of the Sharpedo dropped after being hit; the second swimming up and opening its mouth. From its mouth emerged a white orb, the occasional yellow fleck flying off, and then it launched into a hyper beam attack at the escaping Vapor. Vapor was struck, and the powerful attack had disabled her for several seconds.

Huntail swam up to grab Vapor and carry her weakened form back. Both Sharpedo and the Huntail looked up at their trainers, waiting for a sign. The trainers assisted each other in removing the gem from Vapor’s neck, and it instantly turned dull and darker. They then both backed away and flashed the three Pokémon a thumbs-down. They eagerly bit into Vapor, blood instantly spurting from her wounds and drifting into the water, and she let out a final scream of pain before the Huntail clamped onto her neck, silencing her permanently. Tears formed in my eyes as I watched them, their bloodlust now satisfied, leave Vapor’s half-eaten corpse on the seafloor as they returned to their trainers, who called them into their balls. They vanished, and I took this time to look at the body of the Vaporeon.

Her blue skin was bloodied and scraped up badly from the fight. The fins on her head were lopsided, and half of her tail was bitten off. The bones on her right foreleg were fully exposed, with only the sinewy fibers Huntail failed to sever holding them in a recognizable form. Her eyes were rolled up in her head, exposing nothing but white. As I looked into her face, I could almost hear her serious question again.

“…Do all Pokémon leave something behind when they change? Is there always a part of them somewhere?”

“Vapor? Vapor lass?” I heard Salty call out.

“No, no, oh, Celebi, no!” I moaned, backing away, turning my head in toward the Legend. She placed an understanding hand on my shoulder and guided me to watch. I was disgusted by how these Diabolus humans had treated the Eon Sister; I couldn’t imagine what went through Salty’s head when he saw her.

“Vapor? Lass, I see blood. Have ye been fightin’?” I heard Salty call out. I kept mouthing the word “no,” hoping that, somehow, my words would bring Vapor back from the dead, even though I knew it was impossible. Salty spotted Vapor’s body, and seemed to see the blood from her wounds afterwards.

“Vapor? Lass, yer hurt! I should get ye help! I’ll get yer sisters, yer goin’ ta be—.” Salty saw her bones and leaped over her, skidding to a halt that kicked up a lot of sand, resting a claw on her body, as though to feel a pulse. He looked into her eyes, swallowing hard.

“Ye—Yer gone,” he murmured in shock. He swallowed hard again, looking extremely ill. “NO! VAPOR! I CAME TOO LATE FOR YE! I’M SORRY!” Salty sobbed.

My eyes were locked on Salty and Vapor even as the scenery swirled around me, changing to the shore the next day. The rest of the Eon Sisters were sitting in line beside one another, all wearing the gems that changed them, the gems they were charged with protecting.

“She’s in a better place now,” Espa announced coolly, bowing her purple-furred head. Jolt’s fur crackled with sparks of electricity as she stood up, growling fiercely at her own sister.

“You damned emotionless psychic-element! She was our SISTER! How can you be so calm when she’s been torn apart and eaten by—by—by trained Pokémon? Her corpse is lying under that water, why don’t you use your powers to lift her out of there and show me she’s in a better place, Espa? Why don’t you do that? She’s been desecrated beyond dignity, and we’ve been so wrapped up in protecting these damn crystals that we’ve never even laid eyes on her since we’ve evolved! Try and explain that, damn it!” Jolt barked at her, leaping up and sending bolts of electricity everywhere.

“Stop it, stop it, stop it!” Flare shouted, her red body leaping between them and her yellow mane and tail crackling fiercely. Jolt continued to growl, and Espa merely stared beyond the two, as though seeing Vapor’s spirit behind Jolt. “Vapor would never have wanted us to fight! If she were here, she would tell us that life should go on without her, and she would want us to celebrate the life she lived, not be angry about how she died! Please, don’t fight.” Flare’s voice broke towards the end, but she never once allowed herself to cry. Espa bowed her head again, and Jolt let out one final snarl before she backed away.

During all of this, Umbra merely sat off to one side, staring into the sea in shock. Her ears drooped down, and she blinked her red eyes, tears trailing from them. I knew that the Sisters were extremely close to one another, and I knew that Umbra lived on her own in a cave not too far from Vapor’s.

“Where’s… Salty?” Rae asked. Celebi touched both of us, and we were transported into Vapor’s cave, where Salty was mourning her. Just outside of her cave Salty had dug her a small grave, and was looking for an object to mark it with other than the rock he had there presently. He looked up at the pearl sitting in between the statues, and his face set into a scowl.

“YE TOOK HER AWAY! YE DAMN HUMANS, YE TOOK HER AWAY! WHY DO YE ENJOY KILLING?” Salty shouted, swinging a glowing claw forward and knocking several of the human-made miniatures over, the pearl slowly sinking in the water. Tears streaming from Salty’s face merely joined the water around him, and he dove for the twisted bits of plastic and metal.

“YE DON’T UNDERSTAND! YE TOOK AWAY AN INNOCENT LIFE! WHY? WHY DID YE TAKE THE ONE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME?” he shouted, too caught up in his rage to realize what he was doing. He was destroying the treasures that belonged to them both, and that Vapor loved collecting. My lip quivered, and I couldn’t hold back my sobbing any longer. I could feel Rae’s chest heave as he hyperventilated, and I remembered that this was the first time he knew of Salty’s connection to the Eon Sisters.

Salty’s rampage continued, figures shattering into bits of painted glass and porcelain, rocks knocked loose from the wall, loosing more treasures into the water, where they were demolished instantly by his furious crabhammer attacks. The pearl, at this point, rested on the ground, and Salty, blinded by his rage, brought down another claw and crushed the pearl.

I let out a gasp, tears continuing to flow. Salty lifted his claw, seeing the bits of pearl embedded in it. He looked down at the crushed pearl, likely recalling the previous day that they went out and acquired it together. He had likely counted on seeing her alive the next day, and never expected that she would be taken and left for dead like the flotsam and jetsam that Vapor enjoyed collecting. His legs shook their way out from underneath him, and he collapsed on the ground, heaving with huge sobs. The scene went black before colors started swirling.

“We’re going to see Flareon’s last days next. Are you sure you want to go on?” Celebi asked. I pictured Flareon clearly in my head, and her behavior on the shoreline. She seemed to be the caring one, the mediator, and the gentle sister. I remember Celebi mentioning that Flareon had children; a part of me didn’t want to see what happened to this caring mother, but a part of me wanted to see what became of her children and her mate, and whether or not they were able to see Flareon before she was gone forever.

“I’m sure,” I croaked weakly, swallowing hard. Celebi looked ahead, and I lurched forward again, bracing myself for what lay ahead.

Murkrow

Last edited by Darth Murkrow; 07-30-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Send a message via AIM to Stinky

*cries* Poor Salty. I feel really bad for the old crab. And don't worry about getting carried away with the emotions, it really showed how much Salty cared for Vapor.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

That was...so sad...I literally felt tears when I read the last part.. :(

The emotions were great and not overdone, it all fit perfectly and made me see clearly what was happening.

I wonder about Flare's three days and how her children and mate will feel...

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

I found that disgusting how the humans treated her! Very well written chapter, nice and balanced. I felt like crying towards the end, and my favourite Pokemon just sat there... Depressed... =[

I can't wait for the next one! And I can't express how much I love this Fan Fic.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

I kinda left off reading this, but I went back through and finished it. The last chapter was so sad... I'm almost scared to see what happens to Flareon...

Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Exclamation Re: The Chronicles of the Shards

Okey-doke, good news and bad news.

Good news: New chapter. Not nearly as emotional, as I have never actually tried to write in small children as characters, but it works to demonstrate Flare's last days.

Bad news: I go to band camp in less than a week, and school starts in a little less than a month. This means limited internet access, limited computer time, and, therefore, limited updates of Chronicles. This doesn't mean I'll stop writing, by any stretch of the word; it just means I'll be a little slow, and after doing hours of homework in my more advanced classes in addition to practicing I probably won't feel like writing (because it's usually three in the morning by the time I get done). Therefore, my schedule is pretty much packed until next summer. I'll try to update once or twice a week, maybe more if there really is some sort of higher power working in my favor. I apologize in advance for any dissapointment that may result.

Chapter 17

I braced myself, managing to keep standing even as my insides lurched forward. I decided then that I disliked time travel; the constant lurching and involuntary movement, in addition to all of the things that I was seeing, made me strongly want to return to my own time. I blinked the tears out of my eyes, taking in several deep breaths to both calm my stomach and to calm my nerves.

They’re already gone. I know they’re dead. I have known since I was a pup that they were all murdered, I tried to assure myself. I jumped and backed away as soon as a yellow and black-streaked figure darted by.

“That must be her mate. Come,” Celebi told us. I knew that Celebi knew this, and that she was just trying to talk for the sake of breaking the silence between our trio, but I didn’t say anything. I trotted after her, Rae taking up the rear.

…Why doesn’t the fact I know make this any easier? I wondered, the long and low-set figure stopping suddenly, revealing himself to be a Quilava. He stood over a small crater in the dry ground, and we approached.

“Flare, I’m home! I brought dinner!” the Quilava called down to her after setting the object clamped in his mouth on the ground. A Flareon, three Eevee, and two Cyndaquil crawled out of the hole.

“Ugh! Magikarp again?” one of the Cyndaquil groaned, sitting on the ground pouting, turning his long nose up at the long since dead Pokémon.

“Mommy! Mommy! Cooper’s badmouthing Daddy again!” the other Cyndaquil blurted suddenly.

“I am not, Riley! I just hate Magikarp! Why can’t we eat something else?” Cooper complained, both of them staring up at their mother with wide eyes. Flare sighed and approached the fish.

“Cooper, your father worked very hard for this meal, especially because Mommy and Daddy can’t be near water,” Flare told him without raising her voice, striding up beside the Quilava and nuzzling him, licking his cheek gently. “Riley, don’t tattle on your brother, especially if you’re not telling the whole truth.” Both Cyndaquil pouted, and the Quilava rolled into a submissive position as all of the Eevee pups climbed all over him.

“Got you!” one of them piped up.

“We win, Daddy!” the second chirped. The third broke into giggling and rolled off of him. Flare opened her mouth and summoned a flamethrower attack, cooking the Magikarp evenly.

“Mom, why can’t I do that?” Cooper asked her.

“Because I’m the better Cyndaquil, that’s why! You couldn’t make a smokescreen if you tried!” Riley told him.

“Mommy! Riley thinks he’s better than I am! Tell him it’s not true!” Cooper whimpered, nuzzling his face into his mother’s mane, his fire-type allowing him not to be burned.

“Will you two stop fighting this instant?” Flare asked, using her forepaw to gently hold Cooper close to her. “Neither of you is the better Cyndaquil, and in all honesty I wouldn’t trust either of you to try and cook something evenly. Now be quiet and eat your Magikarp. Yes, Chloe, even the organs. Those are the best part!” Flare told the Eevee that was trying to discreetly hide the liver under some skin. She then turned to her Quilava mate, and both of them nuzzled each other.

“Were you bargaining with the Pidgeot again?” she whispered carefully at him. The Quilava looked away uneasily, and Flare frowned. “Coale! You know how I don’t like you doing that! The Pidgeot are going to expect payment soon, and if you can’t provide, they could attack the children!”

“I know, I know, but food’s been getting really scarce lately, and the Pidgeot hunt them anyway! I figure, I ask them for a few favors, maybe they’ll forget by the time they need something! I’ve never told them my name!” Coale offered. Flare sighed and turned away from her mate, ears drooped. Coale fell silent suddenly. “Flare, honey, I’m sorry, but—I—”

“No, Coale, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have blown up at you. With Vapor dead, her crystal gone, the humans… I have responsibilities there too, Coale, and if I can’t even control what’s going on here… with you, and the children…” she started. Coale stepped up beside her.

“Honey, I’m sorry. I know Vapor’s death hit you and your sisters, and I understand you need time to heal,” Coale told her. He hesitated for a moment. “Maybe that’s what you need, Flare. Some time to think. You should go out to Tyranitar Ridge, it’s a really nice place to think, the Tyranitar actually like being visited…”

“Coale, I can’t afford to leave you alone. If the humans killed Vapor, who knows what they’ll do to me! To all of you! I don’t want to leave my family, what if you get killed?” Flare told him.

“Are Mommy and Daddy fighting?” Both of the parents looked at a young Eevee, who had her head tilted to one side, a piece of Magikarp skin dangling from her chin. Flare smiled at her.

“No, sweetie. Mommy’s just been… a little sad lately. It’s ok, it has nothing to do with Daddy,” Flare told her, wiping the food off of her daughter’s face with a single paw. The pup seemed to believe her and trotted back to her siblings to play-fight. “Don’t play rough!” Flare called to them. I found myself smiling at the family and how they functioned, and as Flare muttered something about sleeping I remembered that this was the day before.

We reappeared early enough in the morning that it was still dark out, and Flare was nestled in one of the deeper crevices with Coale and the five children between them. I looked behind me, a human vehicle of transport that Rae identified as a jeep pulled to a screeching halt. A human got out, and a door slammed shut. I looked back over to Flare and Coale, both of the parents waking up. Flare hopped up the edge of the crater, peering over it, then gasped and leaped back down, passing directly through my body. Though it didn’t hurt, the feeling still made me shudder.

“Coale, there are humans here!” she hissed at him. Coale gasped and glanced at the children, still sleeping, and looked back up at her.

“Humans? Here? But it’s in the middle of the desert, the river is several miles from here!” Coale wondered, carefully getting up so as to not disturb the children. Flare looked like she was in deep thought.

“Coale, it’s me,” she realized. “They’re after me.”

“Flare—How can you say that? Why would they be after you?” Coale asked her.

“It’s this! My crystal! They found the legend behind the crystals, and they think that it will allow them to control all Pokémon!” Flare told him, gesturing to the bright red gem around her neck. She glanced up at the top of the crater, then began to climb.

“Flare? Flare, what are you doing?” Coale asked.

“I’m going to fight,” she told him.

“You can’t! Stay here! You’re giving them what they want if you go out there! Don’t be the next Vapor!” Coale hissed at her, lowering his voice more when the youngest of the Eevee began to stir.

“You leave my sister out of this!” Flare snapped at him. She glanced at the human, who had heard her and Coale arguing and was approaching faster. I shifted my weight uneasily, finding myself falling into Rae’s arms, which despite his trembling felt strong and comforting. Flare turned back to her mate. “Coale, if I don’t make it out alive, I love you. Tell the children Mommy loves them very much,” she told him, voice breaking more than it did at Vapor’s funeral. Coale let out a gasp and leaped up beside his mate.

“No! I’m not sending my mate out there to get killed! I love you too, and I love the children as much as you do! We’re going to fight together!” Coale decided. Flare looked at the children uneasily, then nodded. Both leaped out of the crater, growling at the approaching human. The human backed away uneasily, then pulled out a Pokéball.

“I may not have a type advantage, but I’m definitely stronger than both of you! Ninetales, go!” she commanded. The creamy, nine-tailed fox materialized in red light, growling fiercely. A scar crossed the right side of her face, and the eye on that side was completely white, something that I’ve only seen on Pokémon that get into severe fights; she was blind in one eye. Flare’s natural maternal instinct must have sensed this and she gasped, ears down, backing away; Coale did no such thing.

“Flare, this is not the time to be caring! She’s going to kill you if she has to!” Coale warned her.

“Your little sweetheart’s right. I suggest you give up the gem before my trainer commands me to take it by force!” Ninetales warned Flare, growling and staring at her through her left eye.

“Ninetales, use imprison on the Quilava! It’s the gem we want! Boss doesn’t want any others getting in the way!” the human commanded her Pokémon. Ninetales’ one eye flashed red, and Coale began to glow a similar red.

“Coale!” Flare whimpered.

“Flare! Look out!’ Coale struggled to speak, trying to get his words out due to the effects of imprison, which kept his muscles from working fully. Flare ducked underneath Ninetales as she sprang over her, running towards the crater where Flare’s children lay sleeping.

“You leave my babies alone!” Flare yelled at her, flames bursting into all directions as she unleashed a flamethrower attack on Ninetales, who let out a howl and absorbed the fire. It crackled against her fur before dissipating in the air, her flash fire ability using this to fuel her own power. Flare growled and sprang at Ninetales, both of them yowling as they rolled over one another, Flare to protect her children, Ninetales to obey her trainer.

Ninetales finally grabbed the gem in her mouth, yanking it off of Flare’s neck.

“Give that back! I need to protect that!” Flare yelped, springing at the Ninetales. Ninetales leaped backwards to dodge, holding the gem triumphantly in her mouth.

“Ninetales, bring the gem over here!” her trainer commanded her.

“Don’t do it if you really care about the world’s balance!” Flare warned her. The Ninetales trotted over to her trainer and dropped the gem before her. She smiled and picked it up.

“Ninetales, let the Quilava go. We need to get moving.” The Ninetales nodded and began to trot away, but Flare had already sprung.

“Flare!” I called out in fear, knowing that this is where she was going to die; her mate was watching, unable to help her, and her children were all asleep. I wanted to prevent this from happening; I didn’t want so many Pokémon to suffer because of these crystals!

“Flare, don’t!” Coale yelled out to her, released from the imprison attack.

“Iron tail!” the human called out. Ninetales’ tails stiffened, her fur flattening, and she swung all nine of her tails whistling through the air toward Flare. The next sound I heard was a snap, and Flare’s body hit the ground hard, neck bent at an unnatural angle.

“FLARE!” Coale shouted, rushing to his mate’s side. I swallowed hard, and watched Coale hold her gently in his front paws. “Flare! Flare, say something! Please!”

The human looked astonished at what her Pokémon had just accomplished. I couldn’t see her face in the darkness, but I could see her expression twist into one of disgust. She trembled, collapsed on the ground, and wretched until a small amount of vomit issued from her mouth. She wiped off her mouth with the back of her hand, muttered something to the Ninetales, and then returned her to her Pokéball in a flash of red light. She picked up the crystal, now a darker, more dull red, and climbed into the jeep, driving off to leave the mourning Quilava with the rays of sun to greet him.

“It… It was an accident,” I murmured quietly. “She didn’t mean to kill her. It was—It—”

“Self-defense on the trainer’s part, obedience on the Ninetales’. She is still responsible, though, and watch how it tears the family apart,” Celebi explained.

“Celebi, I don’t to, please,” Rae pleaded quietly, his protests unheard by the Legend. Coale looked over to where their children were starting to wake up, calling for their parents.

“Mommy! Daddy!” they cried in unison, rushing to tackle their father, who mustered a hurt smile. The youngest Eevee seemed to sense her father’s trouble and stopped, inclining her head at him.

“Daddy, why do you look so sad? Why is Mommy lying so still?” she asked. Coale looked at the ground, eyes struck with panic, and all five of them looked up expectantly.

“Mommy looks dead,” Riley started, voice breaking, staring into his mother’s face.

“Daddy, Daddy, tell Mommy to wake up!” Cooper commanded his father.

“Stupid, dead Pokémon can’t come back,” Riley murmured.

“Daddy, what’s dead mean?” Chloe, one of the Eevee from before, asked him. All five fell silent and looked intently at their father, who cleared his throat.

“…Dead… means… It’s like sleeping, only you sleep forever,” Coale attempted to explain.

“But why is Mommy sleeping forever? Doesn’t Mommy want to wake up?” Cooper asked. Coale took in another breath.

“It’s not…It’s not a choice, Cooper. Sometimes bad things happen, and that makes Pokémon die, and they never come back. Mommy… Your mother loved you all, very much. She told me that. She told me to tell you she loved you,” Coale finally collapsed on top of Flare’s body, his chest throbbing with tearless weeping. In turn, each of the five children began to realize that their mother would never return, and that the warm fire of motherhood that raised them was gone forever. They all joined their father in mourning their great loss.

“Mew should have known the risks. She shouldn’t have trusted them to protect the gems for this long. Jolt’s the next victim of her serious lack of judgment,” Celebi spat bitterly. She didn’t sound at all upset by this display of mourning; she sounded angry, as though she felt that focusing her anger at Mew would somehow make the problem fix itself. And as we were yanked off to our next location, I secretly felt that way as well.

Murkrow
Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

*cries* Poor Flare. I feel even worse for the children. Great chapter Darth, I like how Amethyst wants to help them even though she can't.

...And sorry about your schedule. I'm taking Honors Algebra and French this school year, and maybe AV Club which takes up my Study Hall period. Don't feel rushed to do Chronicles; schoolwork should come first.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Aw, thank you.

I have summer homework for my AP class that I tried to start this morning at, like, 5 in the morning when I couldn't sleep. I ended up with a headache and snuggled with my dog before she decided she was done.

I made a banner for Chronicles. *Pokes* Kind of quick, really, and not that great, even for being done on MS paint.

Murkrow
Old 08-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Murkrow View Post
Aw, thank you.

I have summer homework for my AP class that I tried to start this morning at, like, 5 in the morning when I couldn't sleep. I ended up with a headache and snuggled with my dog before she decided she was done.

I made a banner for Chronicles. *Pokes* Kind of quick, really, and not that great, even for being done on MS paint.
Is it in your sig? My computer won't load it.

But to stay on topic, the next chapter needs more Odd. :p
Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Yeah, it's in my sig. Sorry you can't see.

I know, but Odd's not traveling through time with Ami right now. It was really stupid, the way I set that up. (20-20 hindsight)

Murkrow
Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

*pouts* Oh well. I'm happy to see that Jolteon is next, I've always had a soft spot for it.

Last edited by Stinky; 08-03-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Eternal Moonlight Offline
The Luna Diviner

Send a message via AIM to Eternal Moonlight

Super job it was so cool i couldnt stop reading till i finished and i mussed say im very impressed. You do a great job discribing the events and the emotions of ur characters. You have a fan in me. Keep up the good work !

PS Will u include Leafeon or Glaceon later on in the story ( just curious )

{Activity will likely be off} {Paired with Sam }
Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

-tears up-

Poor Flare, poor children, and poor Coale (I love Quilavas, as well). I loved it all the way through.

Don't worry about not being able to update like right now, school takes up a lot of time especially when taking advanced classes (I'll feel that pressure soon, as well).

Keep writing, Darth. :)

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

To answer your question, Moonlight, at the time I started writing this I wasn't horribly familiar with Sinnoh region Pokemon and, therefore, didn't include them originally. I might incorporate them into the epilogue, if I remember.

Hooray for sun burns! Whoo!

Murkrow