Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:35 AM
Lord Mullet Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Lord Mullet
Default The Video Game Crash 2.0

In his most (and only) sensible article ever, David Wong details how the end of the VG Industry is nigh. His arguments are sound and he raises some quite good points:
Quote:
A plan was hatched to just roll out a new machine every five years, spending half a billion dollars in development each time, moving from colored blocks to 2D figures to cartoonish 3D to realistic 3D.

Which brings us to today. We've now advanced from realistic 3D to slightly prettier 3D and... even slightlier prettier 3D with slightly better reflection effects and slightly better animated water ripples and - oh, look! This game has the most realistic fog yet!

See the problem?
Quote:
Luke's X-Wing approaches the surface of the Death Star.

"Red Five, begin your attack run."

Luke swoops down into the trench. "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back ho-"

Turret laser bolts tear his X-Wing apart.

----------------------------

Luke swoops down into the trench. "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home!"

Turret laser bolts miss by inches. He skims along the trench.

A Tie Fighter drops in behind him and blows his ship to ten thousand flaming pieces.

Luke swoops down into the trench. "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home!"

Turret laser bolts miss by inches. He skims along the trench.

A Tie Fighter drops in behind him, shoots and misses. Luke approaches the exhaust shaft... fires a photon torpedo...

...and misses. The Death Star destroys the rebel base.

Luke swoops down into the trench. "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon ba-"

Turret laser bolts tear his X-Wing apart.

Ah, Rogue Squadron. How pretty are your graphics, how immersive the feeling of fantastic space battles. And how infuriatingly repetitive the experience. "It's just like living a movie! A plotless ten-hour movie edited by Michael Bay's retarded brother and running on a skipping DVD player!"
Find it here.

Last edited by Lord Mullet; 11-12-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:42 AM
VenusaurTrainer Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via MSN to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to VenusaurTrainer
Default Re: The Video Game Crash 2.0

Uh... what is this for exactly?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Dragonair Offline
New Trainer

Yep I read the entire article and I know where's he's coming from, more recently I felt my interest in games waning and I had a feeling with this generation gaming itself technologically and creativity-wise are hitting a peak.

All the while I wonder why I spent over $400 on systems I rarely ever play?
Old 11-07-2004, 03:45 AM
Lord Mullet Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusaurTrainer
Uh... what is this for exactly?
???
It's an article detailing why the videogame industry will fail over the next few years. It's an interesting and humourous read, and is relevant to the board topic. People can discuss why they agree or disagree with it.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:02 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

It's humourous but points out the main arguement: there's no more technology to advance from. So where to go now? Either RPGs (ie like a movie), or platformers...

There is however a slight problem that RPGs justuse practically the same type of storyline over and over again...:-/

Platformers? After Mario 100, I don't think you can get anymore variations...
Old 11-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Lord Mullet Offline
Amateur Trainer

There's nit really much arguing with the idea that we will soon see a technological plateau, and within 10-20 years it will be hard to come up with original plots and ideas, given the limited number of genres in a game. It can be broken down into:

Character-building
Hack'n'slash
Jump'n'run Platformer
Sports/Driving
Puzzle-Platformer
Strategy
Puzzle
Kart

I don't think I've forgotten any.

There will be innovation in what you can do, for example, there will be an increasing amount of manipulatable environments, in which you can pretty much smash up anything, and larger world size. In RTS games, new units will be just about all there is. There will probably be an increasing number of licensed games based on movie titles, but that won't necessarily make them any better. Sports and driving games, however, should retain a decent following, since the innovations people want are quite easily reached in the next few decades - more realistic control, more tracks (driving), all this will keep buyers satisfied. For everything else, though it's quite easy to see how only the occasional novelty game will attract consumer's attention. I have to say I agree with the article, as it looks pretty bleak for the industry 20 years from now.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:15 PM
VenusaurTrainer Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via MSN to VenusaurTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to VenusaurTrainer

Nah video games will still be around 200 years from now.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

yeah... we somehow become more hi-tech everyday... almost anything can become a video game nowadays... there's videoke... there was a Disney Dance Revo... there's the voice-activated game in PS2 (4got the name)... DS and PSP will be out soon, and the 2 screen thing is really making other people curious on how it works. who knows, maybe there will be a game about political figures, or other famous artists... there's already a brittney spears game (gawd that was weird), maybe there's gonna be a william hung game too XP