Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Pokemon Main Boards Pokemon: Games Fourth Generation

Fourth Generation Discuss the fourth generation Pokemon games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Eiyoko Send a message via MSN to Eiyoko
Default A Guide on Super Contests

A Guide on Super Contests

By Eiyoko

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What is a Super Contest?
Super Contests are competitions held in Hearthome City. Think of them as a variation of those Miss America pageants or something, if you will.

Are there different kinds of Super Contests?
There are five categories to choose from that affect your success, but other than that, all Super Contests run on the same system.

They sound pretty boring.
Well, there's more to it than dressing your Pokemon up all fancy-like; there's also a dancing and acting competition.

On with the guide.

The Basics

All Super Contests have different elements to them. First, I'll discuss the five contest categories.

Tough
This is the contest category for showing off toughness, as is obvious. To improve your Pokemon's performance, feed it sour poffins.
Cool
For showing off all those cool moves. When it comes to poffins, spicy ones are the way to go.
Beauty
Looking good? Then this category is for you. Dry poffins will help you out the most here.
Cute
You know your pokemon is adorable. Enter it in this category. Sweet poffins are good to have.
Smart
For all the brainiacs out there. You'll be wanting bitter poffins.

Big freaking woot, you say. What separates each category from the next? Two things.

1. If you feed your pokemon the appropriate poffin, their score in the costume round will go up.
2. Voltage will either increase or decrease depending on what moves you use in the acting round.

Poffins are obtained by expending Berries in the poffin-mixing house in Hearthome City (Right near the Contest Hall - how convenient!). You can do this solo or with other players for better poffins. Upon your first visit, talking to an NPC at the front counter will earn you a Mild Poffin (a very, VERY good poffin; use it on your best contest entrant) if you have a Poffin Case (the guy at the Pokemon Fan Club...in Hearthome city, again...will give you one).

Got that? Good. Now then, on to some tips!

THE INTERMEDIATE COURSE

There are three rounds in any Super Contest: The costume round, the dancing round, and the acting round. Let's walk through it step-by-step.

The Costume Round
After being introduced to the audience, you will be sent backstage to dress up your pokemon according to a theme. This is the only time where poffins come into play.
There are different themes to the costumes. Here are a few hints from KitsuneMaster223:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneMaster223 View Post
"The Created"
You should use accessories that are unatural (so use things like the crown, flag, masks, ribbons, ect. BUT DON'T use natural things like Leaves, flowers, ect)
"The Flexible"
Things that can bend (like the Green Barrete)
"The Natural"
Things that occur naturally such as feathers rocks and trees and flowers........
"The Colorful"
Colorful things
The Dancing Round
One of the easier parts of Super Contests. Listen to the music, get the feel of the beat, and copy the moves of the pokemon before you. When it's your turn to decide the moves that the other contestants will follow, try to do something tricky (something that doesn't follow the beat at all can REALLY screw some people over, even though it makes no sense to dance in such a way).

The Acting Competition
Those attacks aren't just for battling, you know. You can also use them in contests, where they work very differently. Every move has a category and a certain base score, and most moves have latent effects.

More coming soon!

Last edited by Eiyoko; 10-31-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: A Guide on Super Contests

Reserved for Costume Theme List

Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Reserved for Acting move list

Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Special Thanks to:
shadowlink32
KitsuneMaster223

Last edited by Eiyoko; 10-31-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Groudon_fan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Groudon_fan Send a message via Yahoo to Groudon_fan

I have some good combos.

Quick Attack/Agility + Aerial Ace

Focus Energy + Stockpile
Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 PM
shadowlink32 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Great guide! But you should say where to get Poffins.
Friend Code: 4381 9417 2454

~If you want to show you've been on other forums and are used to them use capitals and proper grammar~ Put this in your signature if you agree with me. And please give me credit as well. xD
Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

I added a tip on Poffins; when I get a chance I'll try out those combos.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Doctor Hectic Offline

I'd find it really helpful if you shed some light on the costumes, especially when they ask you to dress to a theme...I keep getting owned in this part at the Ultra and Master ranks
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hectic View Post
I'd find it really helpful if you shed some light on the costumes, especially when they ask you to dress to a theme...I keep getting owned in this part at the Ultra and Master ranks
I don't have any information of my own to present on that part, I'm afraid - I have no idea how to figure those parts out. I'll have to ask around or something...see if I can't find something...then I'll test whatever I can to see if it works, and post the results asap.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:57 AM
KitsuneMaster223 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiyoko View Post
I don't have any information of my own to present on that part, I'm afraid - I have no idea how to figure those parts out. I'll have to ask around or something...see if I can't find something...then I'll test whatever I can to see if it works, and post the results asap.
I read in the Pokemon Fan guide thing........ basically th themes means what accssories you use.

For example:

"The Created"
You should use accessories that are unatural (so use things like the crown, flag, masks, ribbons, ect. BUT DON'T use natural things like Leaves, flowers, ect)

"The Flexible"
Things tha can bend (like the Green Barrete)

"The NAtural"
Things that occur naturally such as feathers rocks and trees and flowers........

"The Colorful"
Colorful things

are you starting to get it now?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Eiyoko Offline
Experienced Trainer

That makes perfect sense! I'll add that in, thanks. ^^

Old 11-04-2007, 12:53 PM
shakierarox Offline

here's a costume theme list http://upokecenter.com/games/dp/guid...estthemes.html
Old 12-31-2007, 02:03 AM
Stubby Boardman Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Stubby Boardman

nice guide
thanks for making it

Old 12-31-2007, 02:09 AM
Gym Leader Flannery Offline
Banned

Thanks for this amazing guide. I love contests.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 AM
16BitAlex Offline
Experienced Trainer

A guide to which Berries make the best Poffins:

Spicy: Petaya, Spelon, Figy, Tanga, Enigma
Dry: Apicot, Pamtre, Wiki, Charti, Micle
Sweet: Liechi, Watmel, Mago, Kasib, Custap
Bitter: Ganlon, Durin, Aguav, Haban, Jaboca
Sour: Salac, Belue, Iapapa, Colbur, Rowap

However, the first berries listed are all very rare (Salac in particular is useful on Endrevver/Endflailer/Belly Drummer sets, and Liechi works wonders on Endrevver Speed Boost Yanmega, possible by breeding Endrevver Heracross with a Yanma), the second can be exchanged for accessories which will help far more in the contests, and the fifth can't be gotten legitimately (except Enigma on movie Darkrai, and the only people who have it are world travelers/stingy Japanese kids who wouldn't give the Darkrai up even if you paid them $hundreds). The third row though is easy to get and grow in D/P, though, so use those.

Remember: Pokéblocks made from the second column in R/S/E were best, they made Gold Pokéblocks (which were level 51) when you did a perfect job with the machine with three people around it, and were lower-sheen. The Poffins made from those same berries only are around level 25 when you did a perfect job solo.

Do a good job. Cooking the poffin in 40 instead of 60 seconds multiplies your resulting level by 1.5x, I believe.

Great choices for multiplayer poffins (order is for a Spicy/Dry/Sweet/Bitter/Sour Poffin respectively) but my calculations might be wrong:

Two players: Petaya/Apicot/Liechi/Ganlon/Salac with Nomel/Tamato/Cornn/Magost/Rabuta (respectively) to produce a pure flavor Poffin. (Apicot provides some Sour flavor, but Tamato cancels the Sour out and adds some Dry.) If you do a decent job the Poffin will be lv 40-60.
Or: Spelon/Pamtre/Watmel/Durin/Belue with Leppa/Oran/Persim/Lum/Sitrus, which will produce a lv. 30-45 Poffin, lower smoothness (which is good), but will have the secondary flavor.
Three players: Take the first 2-player Poffin and add Figy/Wiki/Mago/Aguav/Iapapa respectively. Poffin will be a level 55-80 pure flavor.
Four players: Take the 3-player Poffin and add Tanga/Charti/Kasib/Haban/Colbur respectively. Poffin will be level 75-99 and pure flavor.

It's better to raise one contest stat at a time. Example: Salac raises Tough and Cute alone, so canceling the Sweet is crucial. Who wants a Cute Palkia/Aggron/Regirock (trying to think of Tough stuff)? (Never mind that the Jolly nature for physical Palkias makes the Cute stat go way up)

Also: "The Relaxed" means stuff with dull colors will work great. Gray Fluff, Eerie Thing, etc.

Dragon Dance+Outrage, while a great battle combo, also works in the Cool contest well.

Last edited by 16BitAlex; 02-10-2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: More Poffin info