Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Diesel 34 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Default What is with It

Whats with the forum lately. Its become a daily thing where the forum keeps going down for a short amount of time.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Shozuka Offline

Send a message via AIM to Shozuka Send a message via Yahoo to Shozuka
Default Re: What is with It

Yeah. It's becoming a problem. I'm concerned.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Its probably just all the new people (who came here for D/P obviously) are overrunning the server.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Yggdrasill Offline

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasill

Has everyone noticed that it always happens around the same time? Usually when it jumps from there being around 80 members online to around 120.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM
-PK Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Maybe the forum shouuld only allowed 10 guests online. I think they are the cause.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Yggdrasill Offline

I don't think Ryan would be able to do that though, and because a lot of the guests are Search-Engine spiders it might stop some REAL people from viewing the forum and eventually joining.

Ryan pruning some of the old, inactive users which haven't posted in years, or users which haven't posted at all could be a possible solution. I'm not entirely sure if that would speed up the server though.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
-PK Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill View Post
I don't think Ryan would be able to do that though, and because a lot of the guests are Search-Engine spiders it might stop some REAL people from viewing the forum and eventually joining.

Ryan pruning some of the old, inactive users which haven't posted in years, or users which haven't posted at all could be a possible solution. I'm not entirely sure if that would speed up the server though.
That would be a good idea. They only joined to say one thing and they never came back, or they just joined because they were told to.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Pikablu Pie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:

He COULD delete clone accounts that have been found. No harm done, and more room on the server.

Click here to take a stupid test.
Quote:
Help Reduce Forest Fires. Stop Flaming Now!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Shozuka Offline

Send a message via AIM to Shozuka Send a message via Yahoo to Shozuka

Quote:

Yeah. All they say is Hi. then they never come back.

And I think it's all the members that come in at the same time. It's making everything worse that so many members are coming in every minute. Most of the new members at this time just come here to ask a question about D/P, then leave for the next 5 years.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Yggdrasill Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikablu Pie
He COULD delete clone accounts that have been found. No harm done, and more room on the server.
It's not really practical for Ryan to have to search through IPs and compare them while remembering the fact that some people share IPs.

Since there is so much wasted space on people who have registered, not made one single post in 2 years and practically left forever; it would be much more effective if he just pruned them.

Last edited by Yggdrasill; 07-27-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

...The last two threads about this were closed. There's a reason why: it's a daily thing, and we don't need somebody to make a thread every time it goes down. More members = slower server. Simple as that. We don't need to constantly make threads so we can say:
"forum's down."
"yeah, it's the DP n00bs."
"They stink."
Every time a thread is made. It's pointless.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 PM
WifiFX Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to WifiFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeking1 View Post
Maybe the forum shouuld only allowed 10 guests online. I think they are the cause.
That's crazy.
1. You were a guest once, what happens if you never get a chance to sign up?
2. Guests aren't the problem, it's tens of people who make less than 200 posts, then move on to another forum.

There's no reason why we shouldn't allow guests to see our slowly depriving forums.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:44 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekaboo Pikachu View Post
Yeah. All they say is Hi. then they never come back.

And I think it's all the members that come in at the same time. It's making everything worse that so many members are coming in every minute. Most of the new members at this time just come here to ask a question about D/P, then leave for the next 5 years.
Quote:
It's not really practical for Ryan to have to search through IPs and compare them while remembering the fact that some people share IPs.

Since there is so much wasted space on people who have registered, not made one single post in 2 years and practically left forever; it would be much more effective if he just pruned them.
One thing to point out:

What is on a server and what overloads it are not the same.

See it as a cup being filled with water. The cup resembles server and the data like posts, member accounts, people viewing etc.
The thing causing the overloads is the rate at which the water gets emptied from the cup. If that rate is the same as the rate the cup is being filled, it's stable. Once you go over that rate, the server shuts itself down.

Ok, maybe not a perfect analogy, but it gets the point across. There is none to limited gain from cleaning up the database. What could help is control the peaks or widen the server capacity, of which the latter is a better thing to do.

And I recall a similar situation last summer for some reason where pe2k would go AWOL every day at the same time.

-]DU[-

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 PM
BeserkerFury Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Well, if the server keeps going down, I think there should be a back-up server, if thats possible.

Closed Thread