Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Stories

Stories Write a story to catch Pokemon. A Grader will then decide if it catches or not.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Tamer Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Tamer Send a message via MSN to Tamer Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer
Default << How to Write Stories >>

by: Ygseto

- A Tutorial (by Jag- Former Head Grader)

The following is the common ground recommended that all writers use in their stories. It will utilize the basic categories upon which grading should occur.

Grammar/Spelling/Form-

Follow the basic rules of English grammar as much as possible. This means using correct sentences as best you can. Use paragraphs. Start new paragraphs when there's a new speaker or to transition into a new line of thought or to go to a new idea. Remember to proofread your stories BEFORE submission. This means that you go over your story for mistakes in any areas. Use whatever resources are necessary to correct errors (dictionaries, grammar books, etc.).

Storyline-

Two posts is the ideal minimum for a story. Make at least half of it the back-story and the other half involved with the capture. Remember to include why you're doing what you're doing in the story. Expand BEYOND the "find pokemon-battle-capture" routine. Make the story more complex. Remember, you only have to have ONE battle with the target pokemon, and the pokemon need not be captured at that time. In terms of battle, make sure it's not too one-sided, short, or unrealistic. Utilize realism and imagery in writing out the battles.

Use of Literary Elements-

Description and realism are the most important here. Make your descriptions lively and vivid. Use similes, metaphors, personification, and whatever other literary tools you can to liven things up. Describe the setting, describe the involved pokemon and characters, describe everything, basically. Be as concise and lively as possible with the descriptions.

With the above clarified, the following is an introduction to writing in our little RPG.

Form

Generally, we want to see a novelized format of your story. However, you may use a hybrid format of novel-script.

Novelized

Everything happens as you would read in a good novel. Use of paragraphs and good sentence structure, a strong storyline, and description are key to a successful capture. In the posting, include unrelated/off-topic comments at the beginning or end of the story in clearly marked sections. (Think of it as an OOC or OFF section in an RPG.)

In the story section, treat it as writing a portion of a novel (especially if you intend to link them all together somehow). Make setting and characters clear. Define and describe time and place. Identify and describe involved characters (including pokemon). Bring back-story into play. Create a general, overriding story arc for all your stories or individual, stand-alone storylines for each story.

Use quotation marks (and paragraphs where appropriate) to identify speech. Distinguish characters' thoughts (put into words) in some way (i.e. single quotes).

An example of the writing:

The late afternoon light hung low in the distant mountains, cradling them in its golden beauty. The sky burned a light orange and the sounds of night life were beginning to come out. A sharp wind blew from the north, sending a chill down Jason's spine as he lay on his stomach playing his game. The battle sounds easily resounded in his ears as he found his offensive line units being hammered by the overwhelming Allied defences at the heart of the United States capital. Suddenly a window popped up on his screen. The Microsoft Network (MSN) window displayed a business heading from Creative Communications in Utah. Jason quickly maximized the window's viewable area to the full screen and quickly read over the message. As he finished off the final sentences his eyes lit up. He rolled off his stomach, rubbing dew and dirt on his navy blue jacket and beige cargo jeans, and stumbled on his hands and feet over to where Christine lay in a light sleep. He shook her excitedly, whispering her name in a definitely not monotone voice. Her hazel eyes fluttered open with a shade of worry and her muscles tensed with anticipation of an impending attack on her.

"Guess what?" Jason inquired of her.

"Do I have to guess? You'll tell me anyway!" she replied teasingly.

-"A Shadow of the Future" by Jason Wolf

Hybrid Novel-Script

This is very akin to the novelized format, with the exception that all speech is done with the name of the speaker, a colon/dash, and the speech--in that order. If you include actions in between speech, do it as follows:

The late afternoon light hung low in the distant mountains, cradling them in its golden beauty. The sky burned a light orange and the sounds of night life were beginning to come out. A sharp wind blew from the north, sending a chill down Jason's spine as he lay on his stomach playing his game. The battle sounds easily resounded in his ears as he found his offensive line units being hammered by the overwhelming Allied defences at the heart of the United States capital. Suddenly a window popped up on his screen. The Microsoft Network (MSN) window displayed a business heading from Creative Communications in Utah. Jason quickly maximized the window's viewable area to the full screen and quickly read over the message. As he finished off the final sentences his eyes lit up. He rolled off his stomach, rubbing dew and dirt on his navy blue jacket and beige cargo jeans, and stumbled on his hands and feet over to where Christine lay in a light sleep. He shook her excitedly, whispering her name in a definitely not monotone voice. Her hazel eyes fluttered open with a shade of worry and her muscles tensed with anticipation of an impending attack on her.

Wolf: Guess what? ::sits to Christine's right, leaning against the tree trunk::

Avalar: Do I have to guess? You'll tell me anyway! ::teasingly flicks Jason's left ear::

-adaptation from "A Shadow of the Future" by Jason Wolf

An outline of the generic format (no matter what form of writing you use):

TITLE

BY LINE (these first two could also be satisfied with the post SUBJ and your id underneath)

OOC (introduction)

STORY (body)

OOC (conclusion/end thoughts)

END (copyright/disclaimers/miscellaneous)

Other ways of writing (by blackjaguar_amazonrainforest):

I believe there are many styles of writing a story, it is something you shouldn't copy, its something that comes from inside you and changes to better as you get used to writing. My style in writing pokemon captures is always that of a first person point of view. This makes it easier for me to introduce myself in my character, and therefore it helps me with my descriptions at the time of describing feelings. However this doesn't work for everyone, others are better in a first point of view, and others are better in a third point of view. In my opinion, each person must find that style which is most suitable without worrying about other people’s opinion.

However, by saying this I don't mean people should write any crappy thing and post it claiming its your style, you must have the tiniest but of pride to think “this is my story, I can do this, its my challenge, I must do it as best as I can”. Also, ALWAYS remain in your style as long as the story is good enough to introduce the reader INTO it, to make the reader feel as if inside it, as if s/he was the character, or was walking next to it.

How to manage that? Description, as previously mentioned, description and imagery, as long as there is a good description and a good imagery, the story should be good. And talking about descriptions, don't just go describing what you see, like, “and the great blazing dragon emerged from the dark thickness of the cave, a thunderous roar emitted by him made the earth beneath me and vaporeon tremble, and continuously shutter into pieces...”. You say it was good? Yes, but it lacks something, the description of feeling, that is as important or more than describing the physical nature, without feelings you don't know what is exactly the situation, you don't know if to fear or laugh at it, now imagine this: “and the great blazing dragon emerged from the thick darkness of the cave, I felt a shudder climb up my spine tickling as my mind full of razing thoughts hopelessly tried to calm down. Fear overtook me as the creature emitted a thunderous roar, and I felt his poisonous hot breath wrap me and my loyal friend, the water dog vaporeon. The roar made the earth beneath us tremble, and I tried to overcome fear and scanned the area in search of a rock or something in which to hold, nothing was available however, and a nervous fear and deception overtook me. The floor in which me and vaporeon stood started to shutter in tiny pieces, and my first reaction was to hold my loyal friend protectively...” now, wasn't this better? Longer, yes, but its worth it.

Another point, DON'T RUSH THE STORIES, the pokemon will not run away if instead of posting the story the same day you wrote it, you post it two weeks after, it is not only going to be better, but it will increase drastically your chances of capturing the story, as it also increases the chances of instead of capturing a bulbasaur, you capture venasaur. Take your time, because great things weren't made in one day, and so weren't stories, most of the best ones you have read have taken months or years of writing, and even then, entire chapters have been changed because the author disliked them

Last edited by Jack of Clovers; 12-04-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:01 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

- A Tutorial by Jack (current Head Grader)

First, a little history about Jag. She was a great, great writer back when the URPG was at Yahoo Groups. Deep plots and a length outmatched by any. Personally, I never got to read one of her stories (our old place was deleted). Everything above in her tutorial is true but maybe it's too advanced for you. It's also not very specific on what we (Graders) want to see in your stories. So follow along and I'll help you out.

- Ideas -
Where do they come from? Everywhere. Watch the Anime, play the video game, look at one of the cards in the TCG, maybe the picture tells a story. In general, ideas are all around you, just watch your surroundings and something will come. If anything, look at other stories poster here for great ideas.

- Story -
Your story is about your character as a Pokemon Trainer (or Breeder or Watcher, etc..). It's basically an adventure you would have if you were in the Pokemon world. What would you do in that world? What kind of Pokemon would you have? How did you get your first Pokemon? There are many more questions and too many answers for them. Below, I will explain what a story should look like, going in detail to help you in writing.

Introduction--> The Beginning
At the very start of your story, you need to address who, what, where, why, when, and how. Who your character is... Where they live... What they look like... How old are they. Those are some examples. After defining those questions, then you detail his/her surroundings. Does he/she live at home? What is his goal in the Pokemon world? Who are the close relatives/friends in his/her life?

{For the sake of sanity, im going to use him instead of writing him/her all the time.}

Detail--> That Little Extra Info
If I say "Billy walks over to the counter and orders fries" I get a picture of a little kid in a green t-shirt and short white shorts with yellow hair and blue eys, standing on his tip-toes to see over the counter, shyly ordering small fries at McDonald's. But that's not what the reader sees. Maybe the reader sees a red head pre-teen in baggy clothes barking orders for food at Burger King.
Details are very important and change the way the reader and writer view things. The writer has the picture for Billy but the reader has a different picture. You don't want that. You want the reader to see the same thing you see when writing.
Personally, I'm a detail hog. But people don't think how important it is. Without detail, your story is a choppy summary that won't get much credit. Detail everything you can. Persons looks, a room, the forest, the dark castle sitting above a dank and stale pool of slimey green water. Details connect the reader and the writer, and by doing this well your story will be graded better.

Plot--> What is going on
This is where the action develops and your character involves himself somehow. Plot drives a story and is what makes it interesting to read. Plot also connects one part of the story to the next so it fits together, like a puzzle piece. It can be where he is directly involved or maybe he overhears something. Something happens and somehow your character reacts to it.

Action Force--> Intensity
The Plot moves the story until you hit a climax where your character has to fight whatever it is he got himself involved in. This is where your capture battle will come in. You will fight hard and long to defeat the Pokemon battling you. Even though this is the battle scene, keep in mind that plot and detail are very important. Detail the battle, make the reader see exactly what you see.
"Flareon used flamethrower and hit Bulbasaur." --> Boring!
"Flareon growled intensely, breathing hard to create the fire inside. The stirring heat fires out of its mouth, flowing nicely in a buring line at Bulbasaur. The plant animal blinks as the fires ember the body, burning the Pokemon into fainting." --> Better!
No detail is too much durring a battle, write it down.

Conclusion--> le finale
You've battled your Pokemon to be caught and now it's time to catch it. Here's the type of ending we want on all stories to be graded:
"Jack throughs the Pokeball across the grassy field. It surrounds Bulbasaur and sucks it inside. The Pokeball wiggles, and wiggles..."
Leave the conclusion to be continued by the Grader. NEVER, NEVER say you caught the Pokemon in your story.
If you choose, you may finish up the plot after catching the Pokemon (this is optional).

- Grammer -
English is a tough language, especially for those who don't speak it. English scores are always lower than they should be (in most state exams). Hopefully, this little information will help those writers.

Paragraphs--> Enter Button is King
Paragraphs are the most confused. When exactly do I cut off for a new Paragraph? Here are some guidlines listed in bullet forum below.
  • When a new speaker talks, they get their own paragraph.
  • Pokemon action sequences don't go in the same paragraph as the speaker. It's too confusing this way.
  • Only your character's actions may be in the same paragraph. {ex. "Hi," Billy says happily. Martha remains silent. "How are you?" She sighs back at him.} There are four paragraphs there, each sentence is a new paragraph.

Capitalization--> Give me an A
All Pokemon and Pokemon related items are to be capitalized. Pokemon attacks need to be capitalized too. Names and places should be CAPS.

Spelling--> Wats Rong
If you don't know how a word is spelled, use the dictionary. An easier method is to use a Word Program. The most popular is Microsoft Word, but there is Acrobat Reader, Corel WordPerfect, and many more. Just use the dictionary to correct the word that might be misspelled. It's not to hard.

Commas--> Common Comma Complications
Going through some of my old school papers, I found this guide. These are the 8 General Rules for correct comma usage. Click the link below to take you to the page. It may be hard to see, so save the picture on your computer for better viewing.
How To Use Commas

Misc Link--> Take a Look
For a good and detailed way on grammer and other properties, check out the link below.
Guide to Grammer and Good Writing

- The Basics and Beyond -
What kind of story should you write? The absolute basic story is as follows.
{Meet Trainer, small intro, some background, go out and look for Pokemon, find one easily, battle it, try to catch...}
That is the absolute basics and not very interesting, but it is still acceptable to write.
Graders like an interesting story. Pokemon don't just pop out waiting to be captured, it is harder than you think. Maybe instead of you going to look for a Pokemon, maybe it finds you. Find new and different ways to get the Pokemon you want.
ex. You battle Bulbasaur but get distracted and it runs away. Now you must find it again but something else happens as you're searching. You get past that obsticle and miraculously find Bulbasaur again. Battle and catch.

- Helpful Hints -
-Your first story is graded a bit easier but the rest are tougher. You should always improve each story you write until the Grader doesn't say anything negative. Then you know you're doing it right.
-Don't give up. Keep trying. Maybe you failed to catch the Pokemon, don't let it get to you. We've all failed some time or another (I have). Get back in there, edit your story according to what the Grader said, and try again.
-Have fun. What's the point in writing if you don't have some fun.
-Learn something. Listen to the Graders, take their advice for your next story.
-When writing a second story, keep the outline I have listed above (Intro, Plot, Action Force, Conclusion, w/Detail intertwined). Introduction isn't necessary but i recommend it highly. If you get a different Grader that might not have read your first story, he might grade you lower because you didn't describe the character and location.
-Don't argue with the Grader. They have the position for a reason. If you have a problem, IM me.
-Add pictures (banners, icons, personal drawings...), put the story in colors. Try a Smily once in a while. Presentation helps your story stand out and look its best.
-Every Pokemon is fair game to catch but NO LEGENDARIES.

-| Links |-

Last edited by Jack of Clovers; 02-11-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

-More Help-
If that wasn't enough, I decided to create some more help.

Length vs. Rarity--> The Long-winded Battle
When deciding if your story is long enough, I thought it would be a good idea to make a small list. Hopefully you know, the more rare a Pokemon is, the harder it is to catch. Think about the Game and the Anime and how rare they are to find. The following are example for unevolved Pokemon. Try to figure where your Pokemon relates.

*Easiest [very simple idea. at least 1 1/2 full posts]
Magikarp, Caterpie, Wurmple
*Simple [the absolute basic story line as mentioned in The Basics and Beyond above. at least 2 full posts]
Pidgey, Hoothoot, Spinirak, Taillow, Oddish, Clamperl, Geodude, Pichu
*Complex [more involved. more plot and longer story and battle. at least 2 full posts]
Ralts, Growlithe, Magnemite, Rhyhorn, Torkoal, Eevee
*Medium [everything improved/longer. at least 2 1/2 full posts]
Solrock, Wailmer, Abra, Staryu, Sudowoodo
*Hard [everything improved/longer. at least 3 full posts]
Any Starter Pokemon, Ditto, Tropius, Absol
*Hardest [everything improved/longer. at least 3 1/2 full posts]
Castform, Lapras, Snorlax, Any Ancient Pokemon, Dratini, Larvitar
*Insane [hardest to find in the wild. at least 4 full posts but should be more]
Porygon, Feebas
For evolved Pokemon, add at least 1 to 1 1/2 more posts to the story. For a third evolution, add 2 to 2 1/2 more posts. I recommend going for the lowest evolution. Length will also depend a lot on how well/poor the story is written.

~NOTE- 1 Full Post = 10,000 characters.

Re-writes--> Improving
You are welcome to edit your story and try again. Just follow what the grader has suggested. You can restart your whole story, edit into the story, or add onto the story. Continue editing until you get your capture. Don't give up, keep trying. Work with the Graders. Ask questions. You could be closer to that capture than you think.

Realty--> Anime Related
How close is your story to the Anime? Try to be as accurate as you can with the cities and leagues. Lavender Town is not in Johto. This also goes for the battles and their attacks. Follow how the Anime uses them. If the Anime hasn't shown that attack or if you don't watch the Anime at all, use your best guess. How would Sudowoodo look using Fire Punch?

Lastly--> And Most Imporantly
Every story will vary to some degrees but they all share one thing in common. THE POKEMON YOU WANT TO CATCH MUST BATTLE IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER. You can't happen to find an injured Pokemon, throw a Pokeball at it and expect a capture. You have to work hard to catch that Pokemon.
The only time this is acceptable is if the story is absolutely, 100% perfect in every aspect. That means you write beyond anything expected for a story {huge plot, long story, incredible scenes and action}. It's a lot easier to just battle the Pokemon.

I hope this tutorial has helped someone understand the writing process a little more. I may update this at any time, so look out.

*Added Bonus*
Please don't put in your titles that you need a grader or your story isn't finished yet.
ex. {Need Grader} {Ready for Grade} {Work in Progress}
All you need in the Subject is the Title of your story. That's it. A Grader will come around and eventually your story will be graded. Have patience. Thanks.

Jack--> Signing Out

-| Links |-

Last edited by Jack of Clovers; 02-06-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Closed Thread