Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 AM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Send a message via AIM to FireflyK
Default How to involve Newbies in Writing- A more positive suggestion for the URPG.

Okay, we've all seen them- The newbies who hang around the Pokemart, but don't think to write for Pokemon. Maybe they don't like writing, maybe they're a little intimidated, maybe the time it takes for a grade scares 'em off. Either way, lots of newbies seem to take a while to get involved in this big part of the URPG- if they ever do.

So, I was wondering if perhaps a few little mini-contests for newbies could be run, to get them interested?

Here's a rough idea I had for a newb contest to encourage them... Let me know what y'all think.

A contest for URPGers who have been here for 2 months or less.

Basically, a simple Pokemon. Each person writes for this pokemon in their entry.

The stories are graded, just like they normally would be. However, the contest graders are available for a while after the grades to discuss specific parts of the story, give advice, etc over AIM/PM with the entrants.

After that, once they stories have been given a chance to be fixed if they need to be rewritten to pass, they are entered in the competition portion. The 2-3 graders vote on their favorites. (Categories could be designed to make it fair, or we could just assume the graders know what they're doing with this, lol.)

The best story gets a small prize to encourage further writing, like a sum of money, or one TM for the Pokemon they just wrote for.

This encourages the Newbies to write (Since it shows them that they get a Pokemon without having to pay when they write for it... Encourages them to try for something EASY the first chance, giving them a better chance of capturing it.... AND with an additional prize for free, since they have no money, even the writing-shy ones might try it just for the prize, and might realize writing is actually fun or at least easier than they first thought!).

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Pikablu Pie Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Default Re: How to involve Newbies in Writing- A more positive suggestion for the URPG.

I personaly agree. I've seen so many newbies just not play the URPG. This is the reason why:

They can't battle, because most people have too many Pokemon or too strong of Pokemon for them to have a chance in.

The want to buy more Pokemon, but can't do to the fact all the Pokemon in the mart are higher then 3K.

They either skip the stories section, or look, but think that 10k and under is hard to write -when it isnt - and flee.

I'd like this idea implemented. :3 Bu maybe rather then two months, 2 weeks or 25 days. Two months is enough time to catch and evolve a lot of Pokemon.

Click here to take a stupid test.
Quote:
Help Reduce Forest Fires. Stop Flaming Now!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat
Default Re: How to involve Newbies in Writing- A more positive suggestion for the URPG.

I agree on this, as well. Some newbies might be intimidiated at first with trainers with Swamperts, Gengars, Alakazams, etc. and they are not conifident on writing a capture story for a grader who will pick it apart. Thus, even though they don't know what they can do in their writing, they will take a long time (if ever) to write for a pokemon.

With this, thye will learn to take it easy at first then as they are more confident and have a few good tips, they will try for a harder pokemon.

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Dr Scott Offline
Vanilla Bear

Send a message via AIM to Dr Scott Send a message via MSN to Dr Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Scott Send a message via Skype™ to Dr Scott

My written backing, though it should be obvious XD.

Anyways, people should grade lighter on newer folks anyways, because no one starts off a great writer. I mean, my first story wasn't so good, and I got a few pity passes (XD) and now I'm not a bad writer. No Galleon, but still ... xP.

Anyways, yeah ... read Megger's siggy, graders.

"God, my brilliance is now somewhat of a burden. Get back to me."
Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikablu Pie View Post
They can't battle, because most people have too many Pokemon or too strong of Pokemon for them to have a chance in.
That's why you battle someone else that just joined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScottMan View Post
Anyways, people should grade lighter on newer folks anyways, because no one starts off a great writer.
Agreed.

I like the idea for a sort of mini contest. If you want to run this, go ahead FireflyK.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

One more question before I start this... What if we go by number of stories, instead of number of days here? ^^: People start to write at different paces, and even an member who's been here a while might be too intimidated to start. What about we extend the rule and say anyone may enter the contest if they have 1 or fewer 'captures' from a story?

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
The Crimson Rose Offline

Send a message via AIM to The Crimson Rose

Brilliant idea FFK. I remember when I was a newbie, writing was definitely scary, because I didn't know what the grader would say.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cress Albane View Post
Brilliant idea FFK. I remember when I was a newbie, writing was definitely scary, because I didn't know what the grader would say.
=p Same here, actually.

Luckily Meg wrote me an amazing first grade, and once I stopped going "Oh ^*(&$^, it's so long, I must have done awful!" and actually read it, I felt like the writing section was gonna be fun. ^^: But coming in here the first time and seeing the stories by Meg, DU, and other such people, was pretty intimidating. xD

Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
umbreonandespeon Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to umbreonandespeon Send a message via MSN to umbreonandespeon Send a message via Yahoo to umbreonandespeon

firefly, i'm with you.

i think at christmas, we should have a story contest which is for people who can only write at a certain rank or lower, and challenge them to write higher, and they get a prize.
Rampardos pwns (16:33:31): i r older than you :P
Volcanflame (16:33:35): ooo wat a coincidence
Rampardos pwns (16:33:35): and samrter
Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Elrond Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Elrond

I'm one of the so-called 'newbies' here, having just one capture (my only graded story, but anyway), and I think this is a great idea. I don't know if I would participate, having gotten a really good grade on my first story. For myself, writing stories is pretty much the reason I decided to join the URPG. However, I can say that my anxiety during the period between its completion and its grade *omg... I think I messed up this part... I hope there's enough detail... Is my plot original enough...? What if my grader thinks I'm an idiot...?* Yeah.

I think the opportunity to work with a grader in this type of contest setting is a great idea, and should be utilized.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbreonandespeon View Post
firefly, i'm with you.

i think at christmas, we should have a story contest which is for people who can only write at a certain rank or lower, and challenge them to write higher, and they get a prize.
Christmas is around the time of the Winter Competition, so this would make it quite hard to get a grade. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodys_Nerd View Post
I'm one of the so-called 'newbies' here, having just one capture (my only graded story, but anyway), and I think this is a great idea. I don't know if I would participate, having gotten a really good grade on my first story. For myself, writing stories is pretty much the reason I decided to join the URPG. However, I can say that my anxiety during the period between its completion and its grade *omg... I think I messed up this part... I hope there's enough detail... Is my plot original enough...? What if my grader thinks I'm an idiot...?* Yeah.

I think the opportunity to work with a grader in this type of contest setting is a great idea, and should be utilized.
=) You would be if you have only one capture written, provided the Pokemon you wrote for was Easiest, Simple, or Medium.

And as a grader, I must say... Sometimes we don't pass stories, but we very rarely think people are idiots. Just new, like we all were once. ^_^

Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyK View Post
And as a grader, I must say... Sometimes we don't pass stories, but we very rarely think people are idiots. Just new, like we all were once. ^_^
I did think someone was a total idiot... But that turned out to be TT* trying to catch a 'karp with a fork. :P

*TT, not TyT

As for the competition, everything set up. Now the contestants and the judges...

-]DU[-

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
drazzon Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN View Post
I did think someone was a total idiot... But that turned out to be TT* trying to catch a 'karp with a fork. :P

*TT, not TyT

As for the competition, everything set up. Now the contestants and the judges...

-]DU[-
Karp with a fork!! funny..................

VPP

Piplup
Hatches: 25
Evolves: 58
Evolves: 118
Level 100: 310

Credit to Drift for amazing avvie

Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Team Devastation Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Team Devastation Send a message via MSN to Team Devastation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazzon View Post
Karp with a fork!! funny..................
I'm aa newbie

Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Ataro Offline
RUSTYREFBOT

Send a message via AIM to Ataro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Devastation View Post
I'm aa newbie
Please refrain from posting pointless posts (applies to drazzon too) because it is regarded as spamming, and the contest has already been held.