Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: [REVIVED!] Chronicles of the Shards

Thanks guys.

An update on what the next few weeks look like for me:

I have a weekend event that will put me away from access to a computer this coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I will probably be doing a lot of homework the rest of this week to make up for the time spent away from home.

Final exams for me are in two weeks. I will likely be studying a lot of next week, especially towards the end. Odds are that there will be no updates during finals week.

I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause my readers.

~Darth

Murkrow
Done: 800
Old 01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Michelle8936 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle8936

NOOOOOOO!
Aw well, life's like that sometimes. My finals are coming at the end of the month.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Pfffft, don't even worry about it Darth. Chronicles is worth waiting for. It seriously isn't an issue if you have exams and stuffz coming up. I hope you do well and gets the grades you wanted!

Much luck, and a friendly hug,

Chronicles 1st fan (if I recall correctly)
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 01-19-2008, 07:41 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

I read the first chapter in the revived thread, and had to go back and find the first chapters before I could keep going. I was so into it I didn't realize how much time had passed. There's just some things that you have to read, I just couldn't go on the summary since I had never read it before. I've always been like that, I can't just jump into something part way through it unless I know the beginning.

You're really good. I like to write, but I have to be writing about something. I've never been good at just making up a story like that. Something always gets left out, or I can't make an ending.

Since I read the first chapters, I can read the new chapters in this thread. I hope they're just as good.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Thank you. I put the summary up there after I'd spent so much time offline that Chronicles was nearly a month old, but I guess it doesn't really help people who've never read it before.

Next chapter will be up soon. I promise.

Murkrow
Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Well, I'm caught up now, and I'm completely satisfied. Can't wait to read the next chapter.
I have to say it again, you are an awesome writer!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Michelle8936 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle8936

Yeah, good luck.
BTW, I like your banner Djax!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

First chapter of the new year, finals done, hopefully passed, pressed for time, blah blah blah blah excuses over.

Chapter 22

“I assure you, I’m fine,” Celebi told Salty and Odd, who had just revived her. I could only sit and look away in silence. We had since given the Poliwag a respectable burial; he was gone long before I was. I could still see the smallish mound of dirt where we had dug, adorned with the dried, wilting flowers we had chosen to mark it. Rae had not returned; it was among many things worrying me at the present.

“Not yer fault, lass,” Salty told me, gently placing one of his huge claws on my back. I pulled myself out from beneath it and resituated myself closer to the grave of the Poliwag.

“Ami should not get close,” Odd told me, tending to Celebi without looking up. “Poliwag lies in an infected grave. Ami will fall sick if Poliwag’s disease permeates the ground.” He didn’t even need to tell me why; I was away from the grave the second after his initial warning. I had learned to take him seriously.

“They’re both right,” Celebi spoke up, wincing as Odd moved on to the wound on her arm. I didn’t react; I was afraid of how I would react. “Amethyst, listen to me.” I turned further away.

“I can understand why you’re frustrated and angry. Believe me, you have been in this forest long enough for me to feel it. But no one Legend, Shard, Pokémon, or human is to blame. If Jirachi had to contact you, that was the only way to do it. The Shard’s powers traveled on her psychic awareness, but she did not send them. None of that would have happened if the corrupted Jirachi hadn’t infected you, but if Umbreon hadn’t used a foolish attack and broken the crystals in the first place…” I opened my mouth to snap at her, but I stopped. What good would defending Umbra do? There was no way that I could change this Legend’s mind. Celebi sighed, then looked over in the general direction where Rae had vanished. Why hadn’t he returned yet? I lay down on the ground, head resting on my front paws. Umbreon’s gem pressed against my chest, but I could feel no warmth or sense of familiarity from it, almost like her spirit had left me.

“Do you see why you have to do this, Amethyst?” Celebi asked me. I looked up at her. She still looked incredibly weak; perish song had caused her heart to stop longer than the few seconds that it had acted on mine. It would take her several days to fully recover. In the meantime, though, we still had to find Suicune and Rae.

“Jirachi is going to die,” I murmured, the first thing I had said since Celebi woke up.

“I know. She’s such a sweet Legend; it’s a shame to lose her,” Celebi agreed somberly.

“I can’t do anything, Celebi. She’s going to die, and I didn’t even figure out where she was!” I realized suddenly.

“Where was she when she spoke to you?” Celebi asked me. I shut my eyes, trying to visualize where Jirachi was, or somehow try to achieve contact with her. I shuddered again, remembering the sheer power that had corrupted me that instant, even though I had never actually been in contact with the Shard.

“All I saw was… darkness. But that doesn’t help!” I protested.

“Yes, it does. It means she’s safe,” Celebi assured me. Upon my apparently confused expression, Celebi clarified. “Jirachi hibernates frequently, because she needs all the power she can get to grant wishes. During that time, she wraps herself in a cocoon. No one can penetrate it but her; if she was strong enough to create a cocoon then she must be in Aspirvern still,” Celebi thought. Aspirvern was the deep, canyon valley where Jirachi lived, according to legend. The elders told a tale of a meteor that brought forth Deoxys, a creature from the stratos that brought about chaos. In order to neutralize Deoxys’s powers, a falling star came to earth and became Jirachi. Both were said to live in the pit, surrounded by the power of meteors, which fueled both the shape-shifting abilities of Deoxys and the wish-granting powers of Jirachi.

“But… Does Aspirvern exist?” I asked Celebi. She bit her lower lip and hesitated.

“No one is sure. Even we Legends have never come close to the pit. The power from Aspirvern pit definitely suggests something… alien. Anything that comes close is sucked into a black hole of power, we think. I’m not stupid enough to try it. And you shouldn’t even think about it,” she told me. I hung my head, deep in thought. What if that wasn’t the power of meteors? What if Jirachi and Deoxys were trying to keep their corrupted selves trapped?

I felt a sudden pang of empathy for the two. If only for a few minutes, I had also been corrupted by a Shard. My grip on reality was so tenuous, my self-control lacking; I had said and done things that I was regretting even now. I could only imagine the damage that I could have done if I were a Legend. The Shard had no real power to exercise, with me being a mere Eevee. But had I been Ho-Oh, Jirachi, or Suicune, the Shard would have had a powerful vessel to corrupt.

“Where is Aspirvern?” I asked Celebi, standing up, tail whipping back and forth. I wanted to help Jirachi; I had to get to her before the Shard killed her.

“It’s… supposedly not far from Desert Ariad. You don’t intend to go there, do you? You felt the Shard’s power, surely that pit contains a lot of it! Jirachi and Deoxys combined…” Celebi shook her head. “I’m not letting you, Amethyst. You don’t have a clue what you’re suggesting.”

“I do!” I shouted, fur bristling. Odd and Salty were about to leap to the Legend’s defense. I backed down just enough to let them know I was angry but not attacking, and they relaxed. “You don’t understand what’s going along with the Shards. The Eon Sisters gave themselves up to protect them, and their spirits are bound to them. I let the Legends die, I let the Eons disappear, and I let the world fall to pieces. I’m the one that supposed to prevent that from happening, and it’s what I intend to do. I’m not going to let you stop me, Celebi,” I growled at her, eyes narrowed. She took in a deep breath and advanced.

“It’s not a matter of the world falling to pieces, Amethyst; it’s about your safety. If you die now trying to save one or two Legends, then the rest will continue to exist, slowly being killed by the Shards. If they all die because you did an irresponsible thing, then the entire world is going to die even faster, and the death of each Eon will be in vain. You need to set your priorities straighter; Deoxys and Jirachi were especially vulnerable, they are not accustomed to the corruption in this world and were deeply impacted. They are beyond hope now,” she tried to explain.

“If they’re so weak against the Shards, why has Jirachi been fighting for so long? Why haven’t either of them keeled over yet? It’s obvious they’re doing a heck of a lot more fighting than the Legends outside of Apirvern! Maybe that black hole you keep hearing about is really the two of them trying to break free or keep others away from their corruption! Has it ever occurred to you that your ideas might not be reality, Celebi?” I snapped. This, I figured, was the only way to fight the stubborn Legend; fire with fire, cynicism with hard logic.

“You’re thinking with your damn heart!” Celebi shouted at me, getting in my face and taking me aback. “You only think those things because you don’t know who or what they really are! You have only heard the stories; I have met them. You think that us Legends are like any other Pokémon, either inherently good or evil? You’re disgusting if you think that. We’re charged with such responsibilities that it kills us, Shards or no Shards. I will personally tell you that my position is inherited; I am not the first Celebi, just as the Latis are not the only Latis and the Golems are not the first Golems. I am given this position because of a Seed; it’s not something I chose, and yet, here I am, giving advice to an Eevee who seriously believes she knows what’s going on.” She sighed, eyes tearing.

“Seed?” I asked carefully. Celebi sighed and looked at me, wiping some tears from her eyes.

“Some of the Legends are mortal, Amethyst. Those like Kyogre and Groudon, embodiments of nature, are immortal, and some, like the Latis, can produce offspring normally. Those that are incapable of either, such as myself, changing as time and the forests do, are created through Seeding. That is when a Legend forces their knowledge and powers into an unborn Pokémon, which kills the Legend. The child will then grow up with two conflicting sets of memories that will only make sense when they transform into their true form as the Legend that Seeded them.” She sighed again.

“I was a Chikorita before I changed. It’s nothing but a life of trauma; I wasn’t sure what to think, unaware what these memories and the knowledge would eventually lead to,” she murmured, glancing at her hands and clenching them into fists. She unclenched them and let her hands down at her sides, and I flattened my ears against my head, feeling guilty for snapping.

“As you can clearly tell, I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned not to trust my moralities; the ones from my Chikorita life and my life as Celebi directly conflict with each other. I have learned to ignore both in order to do what is fair. I have met those, such as Mew, that are immortal and therefore the most morally disgusting creatures around. I was repulsed, but I suppressed it for the sake of the world and the forest I protect. And that is the position you must take, Amethyst; you must learn to suppress your impulses in order to get the most out of this life,” she told me.

“I’m sorry, Celebi,” I murmured. She worked her way over to me, clutching at my mane to keep her balance, and then sat beside me reassuringly.

“It’s all right. It’s not like anyone could understand,” she told me. I looked up just as Odd began to growl, backing away from a bush. I stood up and worked up the strength to launch a hidden power attack, eyes locked on whatever was in there. Some louder rustling then exposed Rae, bloodied and battered, obviously on his last few seconds of consciousness. He collapsed in front of us, trembling madly, a few small brown bulbs dropping from his paws and mouth.

“RAE!” I yelped, releasing my concentration and leaping at him, nudging his head with my muzzle. He was still breathing, but only just. I couldn’t help myself; I began to cry again, tail curled around Rae.

“Ameth…” he gasped, pointing. I looked up, seeing Suicune hover in the air over me. Odd tackled me out of the way, but Rae continued to lay on the ground defenseless.

“I found you finally,” Suicune spoke in her two-toned growl, referencing Rae.

“Leave the Pikachu be,” Celebi commanded Suicune, standing up shakily. I wasn’t sure who to worry about; the weakened Celebi, the half-dead Rae, or the corrupted Suicune that could possibly take a major beating from a really, really ticked off Celebi. Suicune smirked at her.

“And what makes you think that I’ll listen to you, Sprout?” Suicune chuckled at what she must have considered to be a brilliant remark. Celebi narrowed her eyes further.

“What has that Pikachu done to you, Suicune? I know there’s a part of you in there that can hear me still, and I would like that part to give me a reasonable answer for a damn change,” Celebi spat back at her.

“He’s in my territory. You’re in my territory. I have every right to kill all of you. Father said so,” Suicune justified herself quickly.

“Yeah, but I bet Daddy also failed to mention that I rule the freaking forest? Hello? You’re responsible for the waters, remember? Oh wait—you obviously can’t handle it, because you’re really screwing up right now!” Celebi shouted at her, flitting into the air. I began to panic, wondering what on Mew’s great earth she was trying to get at. Suicune growled and leaped, but I saw two vines wind around her hind legs and pull her to the ground, Salty springing and beating her with a crabhammer.

“You want to do the honors?” Celebi asked me, landing beside me with a smirk. I closed my eyes, trying to keep focus despite the wounded Pikachu not far from me, and I opened them and sprang, releasing all of my energy into Suicune. With a final roar, she was down, giving a few final twitches as Vapor’s fourth Shard wormed its way out of her body. Celebi trembled, then collapsed, shaking.

“Oh, Mew help me,” she gasped, hand pressed on her head, shaking and sweating. All that were able rushed to her aid. “Relax, I’ll be fine in a few moments. Mew bless, that was the most frightening thing I’ve ever had to do in my life… Oddweed, I cannot thank you enough for that,” Celebi told the Bayleef, extending a trembling hand to pat his nose, the only part she could reach. I looked over as Suicune gradually stirred, a bit pale but otherwise her older, bluer coloring. She looked over at us and gasped out loud.

“Auntie!” she gasped, brushing us aside and nuzzling Celebi. Celebi reached up and hugged Suicune’s muzzle.

“It’s ok, Suicune, it’s ok, you’re safe now,” she assured the Legend quietly, shushing her occasional whimpering. I was touched momentarily by this scene, but then looked over at Rae and snapped back to reality. I curled up beside the Pikachu and began to cry until I felt a presence standing over me.

“Thank you, Amethyst. I think I can help.”

Murkrow
Old 01-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Reading this while hearing End of All Hope by Nightwish was absolutely wonderful. =3

Aww, the more and more I read, the more and more I'm starting to like Celebi. She can be s blunt at time but she still speaks the truth. I think she's the only who knows that being blunt and harsh is theonly way to get through the stubborn Eevee.

I also liked the whole, "Yeah, but I bet Daddy also failed to mention that I rule the freaking forest? Hello?" thing it cracked me up, even in the face of danger Celebi still manages to be herself.

All in all, nice chapter and that's one Legend down. Keep up the awesome work. ;)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 01-26-2008, 07:56 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

I've been waiting for the next part.

I love how you made Celebi the voice of reason here. She is very straightforward, but still trying to make Amethyst understand.
And the whole seed thing...I feel a link to something else.

I feel bad for Amethyst. She feels like she is supposed to be saving everyone, and here's someone telling her she may not be able to save them all.

Can't wait for the next bit!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Lmfao.

Quote:
“He’s in my territory. You’re in my territory. I have every right to kill all of you. Father said so,” Suicune justified herself quickly.

“Yeah, but I bet Daddy also failed to mention that I rule the freaking forest? Hello? You’re responsible for the waters, remember? Oh wait—you obviously can’t handle it, because you’re really screwing up right now!”
Ahh, my favourite part. =^_^=

Seriously, good job Darth. Hope to speak to you soon!

Squeee

=^_^=

Nyaa
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomKat7 View Post
Reading this while hearing End of All Hope by Nightwish was absolutely wonderful. =3
Ah, I was listening to "Welcome to my life" (Simple Plan) and "Hurt" (Christina Agulera or however you spell her name) at the time when I was brainstorming what I should make Celebi say. I'm not emo, really.

I'm soooo glad that this chapter is much improved from the last. *Relieved*

I'm sorry it took a while. I ended up getting a 71 on my chemistry final, and hopefully that's the lowest score I have.

On a lighter note, I had one of my infamous "12:30 A.M. lightbulbs," where I come up with an idea worthy of writing. If it doesn't sound stupid twelve hours later, I go with it. [/explanation]

Would you read a comedy I wrote once Chronicles was done? It seems like a big change from the epic, but I'm hoping to broaden my horizons a little. I won't start writing it until Chronicles is done, though.

Murkrow
Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Murkrow View Post
Ah, I was listening to "Welcome to my life" (Simple Plan) and "Hurt" (Christina Agulera or however you spell her name) at the time when I was brainstorming what I should make Celebi say. I'm not emo, really.

I'm sorry it took a while. I ended up getting a 71 on my chemistry final, and hopefully that's the lowest score I have.

On a lighter note, I had one of my infamous "12:30 A.M. lightbulbs," where I come up with an idea worthy of writing. If it doesn't sound stupid twelve hours later, I go with it. [/explanation]

Would you read a comedy I wrote once Chronicles was done? It seems like a big change from the epic, but I'm hoping to broaden my horizons a little. I won't start writing it until Chronicles is done, though.
Hehe, music just gets writers in the mood. ^^

Hehe, I know those ideas, they also come to me late at night. I would certainly read a comedy fic from you, it will be fun to read something different from the same author. Plus, I'm sure it will be brilliant and reading good fan fictions stories is my hobby. =p

And yeah, I'm doing that, too, broadening my horizons. Right now, I'm going for a more serious fic.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 01-27-2008, 03:33 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Murkrow View Post

You shouldn't worry about how long it takes. I think this chapter is totally worth the wait.
I know how it feels to be freaking out over finals. And I HATE Chemistry. Never liked it, never will.

And no one can make me like it! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

Anyway, with as good as this is, I'd definately like to read something new. But then I just like to read.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

I prefer writing and drama to algebra and chemistry. Regardless, the next chapter reveals some more about Celebi, Suicune, and our beloved Oddweed. I tried to portray Suicune in a different light; legendary Pokemon are always seen as big, imposing, powerful, and even arrogant, but I tried to veer away from that.

Chapter 23

The newly purified Suicune picked up the wounded Rae in her jaws, Celebi mounting her back, and the rest of us following behind. What had Suicune done to Rae for him to end up so bloody? It shouldn’t have mattered: Everyone was alive and well, and I had another Shard, but something didn’t seem remotely normal about Rae’s condition.

Suicune’s eyes watered when she saw the bubbling sludge that had formerly been Mirror Lake. She sniveled and whimpered, turning her head away as she placed Rae on the ground gently.

“Suicune, sweetie, it’s not your fault! It was that Shard! It’s ok!” Celebi told the blue Legend, flitting beside her head and wrapping her arms around her neck.

“Auntie, I’ve ruined everything!” Suicune whimpered. The behavior of the Legend was shocking me beyond all belief; she had been among the most brutal of the corrupted Legends I had to battle, and yet her lack of emotional control now suggested a young pup, which I knew she was by legend.

According to a story commonly told by the elders, a fire sparked by a lightning storm swept through the region, killing both humans and Pokémon alike. Ho-Oh looked down in shame, unable to help even three creatures that perished before his very eyes. His tears of grief fell to earth and revived three Legends: Raikou, the beast of the lightning that sparked the fire; Entei, the embodiment of the fire itself; and lastly, Suicune, the rain that finally quelled the fire. Suicune was the youngest, and therefore still a pup emotionally.

I hesitantly stepped forward and nudged Suicune, reaching only her leg. She looked down at me, snuffled once, and looked up at Celebi.

“Have you let it out, Suicune?” Celebi asked her, patting the top of her head. Suicune nodded, then turned away and let out a huff. She leaped into the air in a surprisingly high bound, then struck the surface of the liquid after charging up what looked initially to be a hidden power attack.

The sludge crackled in protest to her presence, receding to expose clear water underneath. She leaped up again, landing in a different place, sending the pollutants further away. I could tell after a while that the process was putting enormous stress on her; as thick as the sludge was, provided that my memories were real, it would have drained the strength of any being.

“There’s too much, Auntie,” Suicune hung her head, panting as she approached the Forest Guardian. Celebi patted Suicune’s head, smiling at her.

“It’s all right, dear, you did a fantastic job,” Celebi told her. I saw more tears brimming at the edges of Suicune’s eyes, and I looked up at Celebi in alarm. She caught my facial expression and guided Suicune’s face up to eye level. “Child, what’s the matter?”

“Do you hate me, Auntie?” Suicune asked between the breaks in her voice. I felt a pang for her, remembering what Celebi had shouted down at her when they were battling.

“No! No, Suicune, why would I hate you?” Celebi asked, seeming genuinely surprised. Suicune hung her head again.

“You told me I was screwing up. You told me that I don’t give reasonable answers. I know this, Auntie Celebi, I know! I remember you saying that, even though the Shard was still there! You hate me, Auntie!” Suicune cried out, shaking.

“Suicune, that’s not true!”

“Why would you yell at me if you didn’t hate me?”

“I was yelling at the Shard, not at you! The Shard is what was screwing up, that wasn’t giving reasonable answers! You were there, but that doesn’t mean I was yelling at you!” Celebi tried to persuade the Legend, approaching her. Suicune backed away with a whimper, leaping across the water, before Odd trotted to the edge and released a guttural moan, interjecting with a few clicks. Suicune stopped, turning to Odd, genuinely listening to what he said. She glanced at Celebi, who nodded—agreeing, maybe? I wasn’t sure; they were communicating in Otnak, apparently, and it was definitely real enough to take place right here and now.

Suicune trotted across the water again, sending ripples of power through it but not sending a drop into the air. She alighted onto land with a small bound, then picked up Rae and lowered him into the water, nudging him into an upright position. Rae’s eyes fluttered open, and I immediately bounded to the shore behind him and nuzzled him.

“Rae! Thank Mew you’re alive!” I told him. Rae’s cheek spots seemed to turn even redder, which wasn’t saying much, considering how pale he was.

“I’m sorry, Amethyst. I… didn’t get there in time. I had the bulbs, really, but something hit me… I don’t even remember, all I can remember is running, and knowing that I had to get there before the Poliwag died, and that I had to keep the seeds in the bulbs. I heard you shouting my name, and then you started screaming and stuff, a-a-and…” Rae quieted towards the end, raking the water in front of him with his paws. I lay down behind him and rested my head beside his, looking up as Celebi flitted over to us.

“A dip in Mirror Lake can’t be bad once it’s pure. I can honestly say I’ve never tried this before,” Celebi confessed, lowering herself in gently. She immediately shuddered, but not because it was a bad feeling; I had assumed the effect of Mirror Lake on the body to be similar to the hot springs of Articuno’s native mountain range, and it seemed to be proven right before me. Salty slid in after Celebi, recovering from the bought of desperate dehydration he tried so desperately to hide from us. Suicune, Odd and I observed, waiting for the three to recover fully.

Salty was the first out; he didn’t want to admit that he was enjoying it. He was followed shortly by Celebi, who knew that Mirror Lake did not have enough healing powers to make her heartbeat completely normal after perish song; she would have to let her body recover from the attack on its own. Rae left despite our insistence for him to stay, mumbling that he did not want to keep us waiting.

“My big brothers didn’t like the forests a lot,” Suicune started, leading us to where we would find shelter for the evening. “Raikou always liked really tall mountains and cliffs; he enjoyed being close to the sky, close to lightning. Entei likes deserts and the savannah; he liked the heat, and he liked watching things burn. Ho-Oh lived really high up; big trees, big mountains, anything big that he could watch us from. That could be why Raikou liked mountains, too; the big jerk was always sucking up to Daddy…” The last few moments of her ranting were more to herself and strangely reminded me of Elonur, the pup I had to watch before I left.

“Oh, Suicune,” Celebi patted Suicune’s head with a smirk, keeping her balance on the Legend’s back. “You know you shouldn’t talk about Raikou like that.”

“Sorry Auntie,” Suicune murmured, hanging her head. She seemed to forget about Celebi’s chiding and lifted her head again, trotting a bit more quickly once shelter was in sight. “Here!” she yipped excitedly, referencing the vine-covered cave before us.

“Suicune, sweetie, how long have you been living here? You could have been attacked!” Celebi gasped.

“When I had the Shard in me, no one attacked. Everyone stayed away,” Suicune said, sighing. She then lifted her head up. “But no one’s found my little spot yet! I always pulled the plants over it so that no one would find me here!” she piped up, bowing forward to allow Celebi off of her back and into the hole, which was a tight fit for Suicune, and suddenly dropped into a steep incline to a small underground pocket, which obviously took Celebi by surprise.

“Auntie!” Suicune yelped, squeezing her way into the hole. The rest of us followed, Salty and Odd first, being the largest, followed by Rae, and I went last. No wonder Celebi was surprised; the incline made everyone (Odd excluded) yelp from surprise. We tumbled into a large underground room, and I gasped out loud, standing up slowly.

Just as I had seen in Vapor’s past, Suicune’s chamber was also filled with shimmering, glittering trinkets. Some of these served as artificial lighting; the rest were merely decorative. I almost shot a glance at Salty, but stopped myself. I could not have him suspecting that I knew something about his past.

“Suicune, where did you get these from?” Celebi asked her, pointing at a small collection of crystal Pokémon, one of which appeared to be a Lugia figurine, the rest broken beyond recognition.

“Humans throw away such pretty stuff!” Suicune explained, trotting beside Celebi. “Look, Auntie, see this? Humans are so wasteful! Just because this little Mudkip doesn’t have part of his tail, they threw him away like any other piece of trash!” Suicune smiled at the crystal Mudkip, nudging it back into position beside Lugia.

“But you weren’t rooting around in human trash,” Celebi told her.

“Only once it was out of the human town! There are so many poor Wingull that live in that dumping site! They live only by the garbage that others throw away! And then I became corrupted and became just as dirty a-a-and wasteful a-a-and…” Celebi hushed Suicune, stroking her head. Suicune loosed a large yawn, looking around the room. She finally decided on some choice bedding that I assume she also picked from the dump. There were bits of cloth, large leaves from plants in the forest, and a stuffed toy replica of what appeared to be a Wailmer. She picked up the Wailmer in her mouth, walked in a short circle on her bedding, dropped the plush, and lowered herself onto her bed, resting her head on the imitation Wailmer.

“Good night, Suicune,” Celebi told the blue Legend, flitting beside her.

“Are you staying tonight, Auntie?” Suicune asked, moving her head only just enough to see the Forest Guardian.

“Yes, Suicune, I’m staying. Get some rest, you need it after today,” Celebi told her.

“Night-night Auntie,” Suicune yawned, closing her eyes and adjusting her body further into her bedding.

“Good night, Suicune,” Celebi repeated. Suicune sighed heavily, her breathing slowed, and then I knew she was out cold. Celebi smiled at the Legend. “What a good girl she is.”

“Well, Salty’s’a stayin’ close ter tha entrance, in case ye’ be needin’ me,” the Kingler announced, dropping his bulk close to the entrance. Rae chose a spot not too far from Suicune, but enough of a distance to not frighten her. I trotted up beside him and wound my tail around his body, hoping to keep him warm and comfortable. By this point in time I had no real objections to any of my companions using my fur as bedding.

I could feel sleep overtake me, but I stayed awake long enough to hear a soft exchange between Celebi and Odd. They appeared to be speaking in Otnak, and Celebi looked directly at us to ensure that we were not listening. I feigned sleep, and, judging by his breathing, Rae really was sleeping. Celebi turned back to Odd, and from what I could see through half-closed eyes, they were still talking.

“I never thought I’d see you again, Oddweed,” she confessed softly in a language I could understand. Odd spoke in Otnak to her, and she bowed her head. “It’s been a while, I know. But that life is over. I have my duties now to take care of. I have Suicune, the Hounds, and the forest… I cannot look back on the life that will never happen again. I thank you for saving my life when we were younger, Oddweed, and I will never forget what that did to you. But we need to part ways as soon as my job is complete; I need to help Amethyst collect the Shards from the remaining Hounds and from Ho-Oh, and then I can go no further with you. You, of all Pokémon, understand when it’s time to let go.” Celebi turned away from us, and Odd nudged her gently with his nose.

“Odd understands,” he confirmed. Celebi looked up at him, then lifted up off of the ground and threw her arms around his neck, Odd leaning into the hug a little.

“Good night, Oddweed,” Celebi told him, wiping tears from her eyes and flitting to Suicune’s side.

“Good night, Sakurasama,” Odd told her, bowing his head and making his way over to us. He flopped down on the ground beside me, not within touching distance, but within a distance where I could hear his breathing. Sakurasama? Was that Celebi’s name before the Seed took effect? How had Odd saved her life? What other secrets was this Bayleef keeping from me?

Murkrow