Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
KiutEspi Offline

Default Re: [REVIVED!] Chronicles of the Shards

:0 OMG luvd yur story Darth Murkrow. Hope it doesnt kik the buket.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Next chapter is now up. I'm trying to work on foreshadowing, so I really hope I wasn't too obvious. If anyone seriously predicts what's going to happen next, I might... be a bit disappointed. Not going to lie. But hey.

I looked at the last chapter, and there are so many typos it's embarassing. I mean, "room?" Way to go Darth.

I consider this to be a darker chapter.

Chapter 25

“Are you ready, Kingler?” Swampert asked his partner in a growl, not taking his eyes off of Regice. Salty let out an affirming grunt.

“Salty, no!” I cried out, starting to run forward.

“Go away, Eevee!” Swampert barked at me, breaking from his eye contact with Regice. Regice thrust his claws into the air, glowing rocks lifting out of the snow-covered soil. He then brought his arms down, using his ancient power. Some of the rocks hit the ground right before the two water types, sending them flying, and Regice used his powers to manipulate the remainder to beat them into the ground. The Legend levitated higher than he was and darted away into the forest.

“Regice!” I shouted. The trainer swore loudly and issued a command to Swampert and Salty, both of whom charged after Regice. I galloped after them, yelling for the two to stop. There was no way I could let them catch Regice in his corrupted condition. The trainer darted toward me, grabbing my tail, but I whipped around and bit him, making sure I tasted blood before I took off running after the Pokémon.

I perked up my ears, listening for the large Pokémon, surprised that they could move as quickly as they did. As much as I hated to admit it, Swampert was trained ferociously, and his power disturbed me a little. I shuddered to think of what Salty could do if the trainer worked on him as much as he had on Swampert. Trained Pokémon are taught to fight against their morals, against their wild soul, and use only the most basic survival instincts to fight. Once a trainer owns that soul, only a fighting machine remains in the body of a Pokémon. I couldn’t let that happen!

I heard Swampert bellow loudly in pain, and I followed the sound, quickening my gallop. Swampert had no clue that the corrupted Regice was fully intent on maiming or killing anyone who stood in his way, including these two Pokémon. I heard another roar from the woods, seeing several frozen blades of grass and stones, knowing I was on the right track. I took in a deep breath and leaped onto one of the pocked rocks, peering down into a valley clearing, seeing the three Pokémon at the bottom.

“Why don’t you speak, Regice?” Swampert panted. Beads of sweat were trickling down the Pokémon as he trembled, and I could make out bruises and scrapes on the enormous creature. Regice’s claws twitched, but he said nothing and looked unfazed.

I realized that the stories were true, and that none of the Golems could speak to another Pokémon. It was said that each was created as an embodiment of Mew’s secrets when she created the earth. She created the three Golems out of her own powers and memories in order to keep her creations safe from the fabled Omega that wanted to eliminate them. The Golems were created without a face or a mouth so that their true feelings—and in turn Mew’s—would never be exposed to another being. They were destined to remain silent and isolated. Even if Regice did not have any of Mew’s memories stored in his body, I still had to protect him.

Salty lifted a claw and thrust it at Regice, who flew backwards unharmed, then circled around with his claws outstretched, ready to crack the Kingler’s shell open. Swampert thrust a fist into the ground and coated Regice in mud, startling him briefly. I skidded into the ravine and leaped into the fray, summoning hidden power and knocking all of the dueling creatures away from each other. I landed on the ground, ducking my head to hide my exhausted face.

“Eevee! What are you doing?” Swampert hollered at me. I swallowed hard and looked up at him.

“You can’t fight him! He has the soul of a restless Eon in his body! He will kill you! Trust me!” I replied, trembling and turning to the Legend, who had since recovered.

“And what gives you the power to defeat him? If I can’t and neither can Kingler, what should convince me that an Eevee can?” Swampert asked, chest heaving. This creature had taken a large beating since the chase began; I was genuinely shocked that he hadn’t fainted at this point.

“Because I’m Amethyst. I’m the one that is supposed to stop the corrupted Legends,” I explained. “You have to trust me. Forget what your trainer told you; you have to help Regice free and keep him from being captured.” Regice flew forward, and I summoned a protect shield to block his physical charge. Regice thrust his glowing claws forward, his superpower attack forcing the field to flex inward so far that it nearly broke. Swampert and I were launched backwards, the recoil sending an exhausted Regice the opposite direction.

“Why should I listen to you? Mew forbid I should take advice from something I could crush under my feet! If my trainer wants Regice, he’s getting Regice! I’m not going to listen to an Eevee that still believes in bedtime stories!” Swampert growled at me.

“Regice is being controlled! Please! You have to help him!” I shouted, pulling myself onto my feet again. Salty opened his mouth, summoning an orb of water, and then propelled the water pulse into Regice, then charged for Regice. Regice lifted himself up, again hovering inches from the ground, and skated around the Kingler. Salty growled and brought a claw down on Regice, and I heard a sickening crack as his claw made contact.

Regice’s hovering faltered as he backed away, and I could now see what had happened, the sight of which made me feel faint. Salty’s crabhammer attack had done significant damage to Regice; there was now a crack running across his entire torso. Regice clenched his claws together, forcing himself to stay level even as Salty continued his advances.

“Look at that! Your Kingler buddy is doing more damage than I ever did!” Swampert reminded me.

“He’s not my friend anymore. He’s your partner,” I replied coldly. I had to get in between the two, for both of their sakes. But how could I do that? Salty was driven by his new trainer’s orders, his madness, and Vapor’s last Shard. Regice was angered by his injuries and was a Legend who would die to protect the secrets Mew bestowed on him. Both of them would fight until their last breaths; there was no way that I could get in between them, save them both, and come out alive.

I then remembered what Celebi had told me; not all of the Legends could be saved. I would have to make some hard choices about which ones I would save and which ones I would allow to die. Some lives would have to be forfeited in my quest to restore the world to normality. The life of the Poliwag, Celebi’s past life as a Chikorita, and even the lives of the Eons were all given up. All Pokémon were to die eventually: some more violently, others in vain, many not by their own choice. A sob escaped from my throat, and I trembled, completely immobile. I somehow knew what was going to happen; I was not Espa, but I could feel a sense of foreboding closing in on me that prevented me from moving.

Salty continued to throw his claws at Regice, chunks of ice flying from the body of the creature and sticking into the soil around him. Regice collapsed to the ground, and even Swampert paled at the sight. Regice lifted a claw from the ground and tried to summon another ancient power attack, but it was obvious he was weakened; the glow was not as strong, and the rocks wavered in the air. He thrust a claw forward, striking Salty with some of the rocks. The ancient power attack seemed to give Regice the strength to get up, although he still swayed. Salty narrowed his eyes further, conveying his feelings in battle not through the familiar battle cries and accented speech that I so yearned to hear again, but through the intensity of his relentless attacks and his facial expressions. Even despite this sudden change in his personality, he seemed far more serious than Swampert did. Not even his trainer was aware of the motive that I knew he still had; Vapor’s Shard.

“Mew help him!” Swampert moaned, trembling. The great brute fell onto his knees, trembling; sweat was beginning to bead up on his body again, and his blue body paled at the sight of two Pokémon fighting all out, morals suspended as each went out to kill the other. I felt a pang of pity for the Swampert; it was obvious that the creature was ignorant of the reality of the situation and had never seen the death of any creature played out before his eyes. I gave him a sympathetic glance, then looked up at the fighting. I knew what had to be done; I tried to control my breathing, but I was hyperventilating at the thought of doing this.

Salty opened up his mouth, an orb of white forming just before him. Yellow and red sparks crackled off of it as it expanded in size. Regice seemed to back down a little, recognizing the beginning of a hyper beam, and tried to use an attack to counter, but he had so little strength that even icy wind seemed to be a challenge. He instead huddled up on the ground, beginning to encase himself in a layer of perpetual ice. He knew that a hyper beam at point-blank range would kill him instantly, and he appeared to have decided to change himself into permafrost. I could not let Regice do that to himself and have the Shard be trapped in permanent ice; at the same time, I knew I could not let Salty use that attack at a range that would kill both him and Regice. I trembled and cried, closing my eyes and running forward; crying was not going to help any of us, and it was obvious that Swampert was unable to do this. It was I, Amethyst, a mere Eevee, that had to play the villain and decide who lives and who dies. This was a decision that would weigh on my conscience for as long as I lived, most likely.

I sprang in between the two, and used protect just before Salty released his hyper beam. The hyper beam flew off in several directions away from Regice, and the recoil from the beam forced Salty against the sodden edge of the valley. I let down protect, hearing the formation of permafrost from behind me stop for a moment as Regice watched what would happen. Tears blurred my vision as I watched Salty’s eyes flutter closed, and he fell forward into the soil, taken out by his own attack.

Murkrow
Done: 800
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Oh wow, another winner Darth! ^.^

Putting in that kind of split second decision making, it was awesome. And I think almost the entire chapter was like that!
Keep it up. ^^
Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Wow, both chapters were amazing. This really is telling us that Amethyst, as the one who needs to get back the Shards, needs not only think about her friends but of the the Shards and the Eons' spirits.

Amazing, can't wait for more. ;)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 02-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

This chapter is probably my least favorite. A lot happens in here, so I don't blame any of you if you're confused. One subplot gets resolved, though.

Chapter 26

I approached the Kingler that used to be Salty, reaching with one paw before I forced myself to think otherwise. Salty was corrupted, but he could not be saved; Regice was also corrupted, but I could remove his Shard. There was no Shard within Salty. I turned to Regice, who seemed surprised that I had saved him.

“Damn it, Regice,” I swore at the Legend, feeling my innards squirm as soon as I had uttered these words. I had just used the language of the underlings before this Legend. This would give Regice even more reason to kill me, even if he weren’t corrupted. Regice lifted himself out of the ground.

“I said damn it, Regice!” I shouted at him, tackling him and, surprisingly to me, managed to make him fall. “You’re too weak to be fighting! Save it for the Shard! Please, so many lives are depending on you!” I told him. Regice forced himself up with shaking claws, and my fur flattened from fear and… was it sympathy? He had no clue what he was doing; there was no way that he could register what I was trying to tell him. And I could not beat this Legend around like I could Lugia, Articuno, or even Suicune; his cracked body would likely splinter if I tried. I had to convince him to try without using force against him. I had already saved him from a fatal blow, probably at the price of Salty’s life; all that was left was to save him from himself.

Regice raised some claws, blue energy crackling around them, the Shard pulsing with the same shade. I summoned a protect force field around myself and Salty’s body, deflecting his beams away from us and into the ground, which changed into permafrost almost instantly. I looked through Regice’s body to see the broken image of Swampert, still weakened with fright.

“Swampert! Try to get Regice weakened without hurting him!” I shouted at him. Swampert seemed to hear me and instantly charged for the Legend, and I threw myself in front of him.

“What are you doing?” he yelled at me, skidding to a halt. “You told me to weaken him!”

“But we can’t kill him! Trust me!” I shouted back, feeling something approaching from behind me. I leaped up into the air, Regice having thrust his claw forward in hopes of grabbing me, but instead found himself in Swampert’s grasp. Swampert swung him around and threw him against the soil, and I flinched in sympathy for the Legend. He appeared to be fine, but another few blows like that and he could easily split in half. But how had I managed to feel him?

“…Umbra?” I asked wearily, feeling myself slipping into unconsciousness, the cries of Swampert no longer meaning anything to me.

Amethyst, you cannot let yourself weaken. I brought you into a trance only enough to hear me, but you cannot let the trance keep you down. You may have already killed Salty, but he will not rest until Vapor is recovered. That is the only reason he has been alive for these many, many years. That Swampert is not going to help you; that trainer has owned him since he was a Mudkip, and he has lost all concept of fighting merely to dominate. He fights to kill, and kill he must not. Extract the Shard; I will be helping you, she explained in a way that sounded breathless.

I snapped awake, feeling a burst of energy, the warmth and weight of the gem bound to my neck returning in almost a physical blow. I had Umbreon on my side again; the Eon would know what to do if I tapped into her.

Swampert lifted a fist, ready to thrust it into the ground and create another earthquake, but I let out a cry of pain and fell onto the ground writhing. Both Pokémon stopped to glance at me, and I continued my bawling.

“Swampert, don’t!” I cried out, tears flowing down the front of my fur. It was only then that I noticed how much my eyes were stinging. Swampert approached, lifting a paw up to meet me. His touch was delicate, but I threw myself aside with a cry anyway, curling up into a ball and letting loose obnoxious whines. I rolled onto one side, making sure they saw my face before I turned away.

“Stop, Swampert! Stop! You’re hurting me!” I hollered. Judging by the crystal-shaped shadow that had fallen over me, my fake tears attack was working. I rolled onto my feet and blasted Regice with a pent-up shadow ball intended to stun, causing him to go flying. I galloped over as the Legend began to squirm on the ground. I could see the Shard inside of his body worming its way free.

“Come on, Regice! Fight it!” I told the Legend, heart fluttering. Swampert still looked vastly confused, but I ignored that for the time being. The Shard jabbed out of Regice’s body, the Legend flinching until Vapor’s final shard hovered before me, free from its unwilling prison. What happened next was what shocked me.

The blue shards that I had already collected seemingly flew from the black one around my neck and spiraled around the latest one. I had never remembered them doing that before now, but I understood why. The gems fused, and a solid blue gem dropped onto the ground before me, Vapor appearing above us as a blue-tinged spirit.

Vapor glanced at Salty, then let out a soft crooning sound as she hovered beside his body, nuzzling him. I could feel Umbra’s presence in my head more readily now; she wanted to see this as much as I did. I gasped as I could see Salty’s spirit, nearly identical to his physical body, hover out of it. I couldn’t quite name what seemed different, but as soon as he hovered closer I could feel it. He seemed to be… ecstatic, to finally be reunited with Vapor, and there was definitely a younger exuberance in both of them.

Vapor. I felt alarmed as Umbreon’s presence left me, but I saw her soon enough in the form of her spirit. She paused for a moment, and as she looked around at the scenery. I could feel her heartsickness; she had gone for many years trapped inside of a gem without the freedom to move about, to be outside, to smell the fresh air again. Was she able to as a spirit?

I watched the exchange between Vapor and Umbra, Salty popping in once in a while, all of them taking turns to glance at me. I could see their mouths moving; why couldn’t I hear them talking? I watched as Umbra inclined her head at Vapor and moved her mouth in the form of a question. There was a pause, and I could feel my heart sink. Vapor turned to Salty, and then threw herself at him, visibly crying. The Kingler spirit wrapped his claws securely around her, and they embraced for several moments, Umbra observing quietly and without much visible emotion. I could feel her suppressing it, though; was she still yearning for Katana? All of the spirits turned to me, and all three looked prepared to speak.

Thank’ee, lass, Salty spoke into my head, even though his mouth moved. Genuine tears built up, but, just as I had an inability to communicate directly with Umbra, I could not speak to Salty one last time. Ye set me free, an’ I saw Vapor, an’ yer impressive fightin… tha’s all tha’ matters, in’t it? he asked me with a familiar chuckle. How I wanted to hear him say that in the flesh and not in spirit! Vapor was next to speak, and I turned to her.

You’ve set me free from a lifetime of torture, Amethyst. It’s impossible for anyone to understand what it is like to have your soul split into five. I apologize for the havoc I have caused you. I am just as bound to my crystal as my sister Umbra is; I therefore will join you to find my sisters, Vapor told me. She sounded significantly more mature than I recall her sounding when I revisited her death; perhaps the split had created a more mature, darker being?

I’m proud of you, little one, Umbra told me with a smile. I cried quietly as Umbra and Vapor nuzzled each other, and were then drawn into their respective gems. Salty sighed and saw me, hovering closer to me.

Lass, ye have ta let go, the Kingler told me.

Fine advice for you to give! You’ve been alive for probably hundreds of years and have still been holding on to Vapor! I thought to myself. Salty looked taken aback, as though he heard me. I backed down a little, not realizing that spirits could hear thoughts. Is subvocalization the way spirits communicated?

I understand ye’ll feel a bit sad after someon’ leaves ye. Howe’er, ye can’t think ‘bout ol’ Salty. I betrayed ye! I let mysel’ get caught! Salty told me.

No! You didn’t! It was my fault! Please, I want you to stay! You saw Vapor, you know she’s going to be with me! I subvocalized. Salty turned his eyes downward, and then glanced at me again.

Sorry, lass. But as all life’s got’ta end, so’s mine. I did fer ya what I could; now’s a time o’ endin’. Please don’ be sad fer me, Amethys’. I’s goin’ ter a better place, an’ I’ve seen Vapor again, pretty as ever. Jus’ please make sure Regice’ll be okay; I’d hate ter see a Legend die ‘cause of me, he told me. More tears streamed down my face as I watched Salty vanish into a cloud of mist. I stood, paralyzed for a moment, unaware of my surroundings. Salty was gone. My Kingler friend was gone. I cried, hearing my whimpering and knowing that I was out of spirit presence. I turned back to Regice, then saw a blue gem before me. It pulsed with Vapor’s life force, and I reached for it with a paw, a blue hand swooping down to grab it.

“Oh no. Don’t you dare. I’m taking this back to my master. You killed Kingler, and I’m going to make sure you die for it!” Swampert told me, holding the gem above his head.

“You’re the one that killed him, you traitor! You and your human both!” I growled at him, leaping up at the gem. Regice trembled from beside me, sitting up and lifting a claw. It crackled with blue energy, and Swampert froze. I took in a deep breath. I could let Regice kill Swampert where he stood; it would be the easiest way, not to mention that it would avenge Salty.

“Regice, don’t.” Regice let down his claw and stared at me. Swampert even turned to look. “He isn’t worth the last of your energy. He is a traitor to you and Pokémon alike. I know you are not the first Golem of Ice, and I don’t expect you’ll be the last. Save the energy for the Seeding that will need to happen. Let me take care of this Swampert, and you get to safety. I will bury the Kingler. Go and save yourself,” I instructed the Legend softly, pawing at him gently. Regice looked from Swampert to me, then lifted a claw and gripped my head in it. I struggled initially, but relaxed as soon as I felt his cold powers rushing through me.

Memories and voices flooded into my head, accompanied instructions to sort them out. I was guessing that this was Regice’s Seed. Why had he chosen me? I didn’t want to be Seeded! I squirmed against his powers, but he continued to hold on to me.

Sort these as you will. Your descendent will require this teaching, a voice spoke to me.

I don’t want to be Seeded! Let me go! I cried out, struggling against his grip. I had a job to do; I couldn’t be the next Golem of Ice!

I thrust myself free, something in my head snapping from the sudden break of contact, and I collapsed onto the ground, panting. The memories had long since faded; Regice stood off to one side, slouching as though disappointed.

“I’m the one that has to bring back the Eons. I cannot be your Seedling. I’m sorry,” I told him, panting heavily, feeling my chest rising and falling. I had never realized how much I appreciated my ability to breathe; I can’t imagine that Regice, being made purely of ice, would be able to do that. I ran a mental scan along my body to ensure that I was still an Eevee and found that I was, much to my relief.

Regice glanced up at Swampert, who continued to look frightened. He still had the gem clenched in his hands; I knew I had to get the gem in order to ensure that Vapor would not be split again. This would involve me fighting for it, with or without Regice’s powers.

“Give it back, Swampert,” I demanded, feeling Umbra’s anger course through my body as well. Neither of us were willing to let Vapor get captured so easily right after her freedom, and I could somehow sense that Swampert would stop at nothing to get Vapor’s prison to his trainer. It would just be a matter of who wanted it more.

Murkrow
Old 02-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Michelle8936 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle8936

Whoa...
Two words: totally + awesome
Even though it was darker, as you said, this is still a really good chapter without fail.
As I said, awesome work Darth, and I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:28 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Talk about a roller coaster plotline!
Yay, Regice is saved!
Nooo, Salty's dead!
Yay, Vapor's saved!
No, Swampert took it!

Wow, my head's swimming. I think I need to lie down.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

Wow, that sure did resolve some things. It wasn't that confusing and it made both sad and happy (Salty dying, Vapor's gem coming together, and Swampert taking it).

Awesome, really lmoved the plot along. ;)

- Kat

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. It's been a busy two weeks, I've had a ton of homework, my birthday was this week, I have a competition to go to in addition to celebrating... I do intend to get a chapter up by today, I just need to write it.

When I first conceived the epic and Salty's character, I honestly didn't intend for him to die as soon as he did. I had actually planned on letting the Kingler stick around for a while to develop him more. This story writes itself, really; one thing led to another, and then Salty was captured without any reasonable way to free him.

I'm going to check on the role play I'm running, turn on some music, and write the chapter. *Phew*

Murkrow
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Crystal Pikachu Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Crystal Pikachu

Hapy burfday. ^^;

Sorry I havn't been posting, I only started reading yesterday, and I had to read through all the chapters.

I must say, you're quite the writer. You're descriptions are really vivid and creative, the plot is amazingly cool, and you're grammar is great too.

Awards || VPP || URPG

Credit to Sarah for the banner. x3
Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Darth Murkrow Offline
Elite Trainer

Thank you for sticking with me, even though I didn't fulfill my promise this time around.

Seriously, I know I said I'd get this up a week ago, but I've been so sick and exhausted and busy that even though it was done I didn't have the time to post it. Ugh.

Regardless, here it is. This one's another moody chapter, but I think I went overboard on the cheesiness again this time. I honestly hate feeling like I did that.

Chapter 27

“Why should I give this back? Do you just want to evolve? It’s just a water stone, I don’t know why you were making such a big deal out of the thing,” Swampert started. Umbra grew more irritable from within me, and I feared for a moment that she would take over my body and start fighting for me.

Tell that ungrateful Pokémon to unhand my sister! Umbra shouted from within me, and I felt my fur bristling against my will. I fought her back; I couldn’t be distracted by her presence, which was stronger than ever to me. Was she this powerful only because she had been free of me for a while?

“Please, Swampert, you don’t understand! Look at Regice! He was corrupted, and now he’s free because I removed that! Give that back to me!” I commanded, approaching him, feeling Umbra tensing. Umbra, please! Stop it! You’re making this harder for me!

That Pokémon will not give in to anything! That trainer owns his very soul! That thing does not deserve negotiations! He needs to suffer! He needs to give me my sister! Umbra growled, and I involuntarily released a yowl that caused Swampert to back away, then to laugh. I backed away sheepishly, ears flattened, Umbra still stewing. How on earth was she controlling my body?

I began to panic as the larger Pokémon approached me; his hands were raised and prepared to strike me down. I leaped up, the fissure cracking the ground, and I saw Regice out of the corner of my eye. He was still in intense pain, but Umbra didn’t care; she wanted Swampert down more than she wanted the Legend saved.

Umbra! Let me go! Regice needs to be saved! Get out of my head! I cried to her, clamping my eyes shut, seeing a pair of red eyes glare back at me. I opened mine with a gasp and panted, feeling her anger coursing through my body, altering my heartbeat and leaving me feeling faint.

If that gem gets destroyed again, this whole mess will begin all over again! You need to get that gem, Amethyst! Get it! she shouted at me. I let out a cry and involuntarily sprang on Swampert, leaping up again and landing behind him. Umbra then whipped me around, and I began to panic. What was she doing? I struggled to regain control of my own body again, staggering backwards while moaning. What are you doing? Let me do this! I need to bring her back!

But we need to be careful! Let me go! I know what I’m doing! I growled internally, watching Swampert lumber toward me. Umbra wanted to spring at the gem; I wanted to dodge. Umbra forced me to spring, and I used the strength I had in my control to pull my body away from the gem, Swampert striking me out of the air.

Amethyst, you irresponsible pup! Umbra shouted. My grip over my body was becoming less pronounced; she could take me over completely if I didn’t control her. But how was I going to do that? Physically, she was frailer than I, due to being nothing but a presence; her determination and mine were nothing short of equal, on the other paw. Let me get him! I need to save my sister!

We can’t attack him, Umbreon! Not as long as he has that gem! I growled externally to accompany my internal protest. Umbra forced my body off of the ground. Growling again, I turned my head inward and down, devoting all of my energy to keeping my body standing under my control. Even as my eyes were closed, I could feel her fighting to control me, her red eyes staring through the dark void into mine.

Please! It was your attack that destroyed the gems! I need to do this without touching Vapor’s gem! I tried to plead with her. I opened my eyes to see Swampert’s mud slap attack cover me in a layer of soil, startling me enough to allow Umbra in complete control again. Not paying attention to the mud on my body, Umbra sprang at Swampert, the soil weighing me down just enough to narrowly miss the gem. My paws touched the ground, and I looked at Regice.

“Regice, go!” I shouted, head bowing as Umbra tried to keep me from resisting. I looked up just enough to see Regice still on the ground, crippled. “Regice!”

Let me go! Swampert is getting away! Umbra shouted at me. I let out a cry as Umbra took control of my body again, and I struggled even as my eyesight was beginning to fade. I didn’t want to give up, but I felt terrible about it; Umbra was without a body for years. Was this another way of fulfilling her desire to feel again, or did she really want the gem badly enough to fight for it herself?

Her struggle was literally killing me; if she didn’t stop, we would probably switch places, she as the retriever of the gems and I trapped in a crystal prison. I felt terrible about struggling against her, but I knew the Eons; if she reacted like Jolteon or even Espeon did in the face of adversity, there would be no hope. I knew I had to keep fighting, but my mental strength was running low. If I didn’t survive the fighting, I would never be able to keep up my quest, I would never give Salty a burial, I would never see Suicune, listen to and wonder about Celebi and Odd, I would never see Rae again…

I growled and forced my eyes open, my vision still fading on me. I could feel nothing on my body except a numb, tingling sensation. Even as I saw the ground shift when Swampert struck me, I had no other senses to tell me that I was on the ground. In order for both of us to survive, I would have to surrender to her and allow her to control me. It was the only way to get Vapor’s gem, the only way for Umbra to stop hurting me… I let my head fall to the ground, and my eyelids fluttered closed.

“Amethyst!” I looked up to see Umbreon glaring at me. I narrowed my eyes at her in return. She leaped down in front of me, not once blinking her red eyes or breaking direct eye contact. I stood my ground, refusing to give in to her pressure. I tried to communicate with her using my thoughts, but I couldn’t hear them. I backed away in shock. There was no way for anyone other than Umbra to talk when she was within this gem!

“You realize what you’re doing, don’t you?” Umbra told me coldly. I bit my lower lip and braced myself. She approached me, eyes narrowing further. “You’re dying. If you hadn’t struggled against me, this might have been over by now. But no. You had to remind me that it’s my fault the entire Shard business happened! Well, fine! It was! I’m the one that broke the gems. I’m the one that gets blamed for the corrupted Legends mess in every version of the story. I don’t want to hear anything about you sympathizing. I want to prove that I can help. I’ve been thinking about this for many, many years, Amethyst. There is nothing better to do than to think about your mistakes when you’re an immortal spirit trapped in a crystal, is there?

“I’m keeping you in my gem until someone comes. It’s the only way I can prevent you from dying. You realize that if you die, you’ve failed, correct? If you’re not going to let me help you, then I will have to keep you under my watch until your Pikachu mate comes,” Umbra told me cynically. She stared up into the black void that was the gem around us, and I panicked a little. Umbreon had the power to keep me in here for centuries if she wanted; how was I to know whether that time had already passed? I whipped around and tried to find a way out, but Umbra leaped on me and pinned me down. She was more experienced with being a spirit than I was; I still had to adjust to the differences in my physics. I kicked her off of me and backed off, fur bristling. I had to break free of her control, despite my worries; what had gotten into her?

Umbra and I stared each other down, until she collapsed with convulsive sobs.

“I just wanted to help!” she whimpered. I felt a pang of empathy for her, hanging my head in shame. How could I have been so cruel to someone that just needed to see her sister safe?

“Amethyst?” I woke up with a start upon hearing the familiar voice, looking into the orange-tinged face of my favorite Shining Pikachu.

“Rae…” I started, rolling over and trying to stand up, but collapsing into Rae’s arms and forcing him to fall. My body felt so heavy now that I wasn’t a spirit, and I was still tired from the fight. “Rae, Salty’s dead. I tried to save him, really I did! He was caught, and that Swampert has Vapor’s gem, and I—I’m sorry,” I murmured, hanging my head.

“We know,” Rae spoke softly, embracing me as much as he could from his awkward position on the ground. It was only when he sat up that I realized I was no longer outside; I was within a sort of cave, and I only just now began to acknowledge the cold.

“Where are we?” I asked.

“Regice’s cavern. Celebi managed to swipe the gem from Swampert, and Regice has sealed the cavern until the trainer leaves,” Rae explained. I began to panic.

“But Regice is nearly dead! If he dies, we’re trapped in here!” I blurted out, my voice echoing.

“Not if Regice’s Seed can help us,” Rae told me.

“But I’m not Regice’s Seedling. I rejected it. …Rae, are you saying…?” I started. Rae bowed his head.

“If this is the only way to get us out of here… Regice needs to Seed one of us, or else die to let us escape. I figure, you have your quest, Oddweed’s already gone through enough, and Celebi and Suicune are Legends already…” Rae started.

“Rae, you can’t do that to yourself! You can’t become the next Ice Golem! You’re too important to me to do that!” I told him.

“If Regice picks me as his successor, then I am to assume his role. It’s the only way we’re going to get out of here, provided he hasn’t already picked Oddweed,” Rae told me. I could feel his muscles tensing, and he gripped my fur more tightly. He was genuinely scared as to what could happen to us, and I closed my eyes and leaned into his body further. I would fight Regice if I had to; there was no way I would let Rae be taken away from me.

“Lovebirds!” I looked up as Celebi fluttered over, shivering, her breath freezing on the air more readily than both of ours. The Forest Guardian seemed to be incapable of managing a cold spell without being half-frozen.

“How’s it looking, Celebi?” Rae asked.

“Not great. Regice needs to find a new body to give his seed to. I have already ensured that Suicune, Amethyst, Oddweed and myself are out of the question. It is a matter, Rae, if you really want to risk dying along with the Golem,” Celebi told him, voice trembling as she did. Rae tensed up again, and I stood up shakily.

“Why doesn’t anyone ask me what I have to say about this? I say that Rae is not a Seedling!” I told her angrily.

“You’re thinking with your heart again, Amethyst. If you can’t get over your feelings, then this will hurt you as much as it does Rae,” Celebi told me.

“But I don’t—Celebi, please! Rae’s been with me this entire time! Why is he the only one not exempt in your bargain? Why did you pick him to sacrifice? Why can’t all of us be saved? Did you pick Odd over Rae because you loved him back when you were still a Chikorita?” I found myself screaming. Rae looked at me in shock, and Celebi’s jaw fell, followed shortly by the rest of her head.

“You…” she began. I felt myself tearing up and started to apologize, but she held up a single hand to stop me. “You… are the most selfish… creature I have ever laid eyes on. You can’t pick who lives and who dies all the time; when you were unconscious, I had to make that choice for you. Suicune’s too young to understand, Oddweed’s been through so much, we honestly thought you were done for, and Rae… Rae volunteered to give himself up. If you really have these feelings, you will let him give up his past forever,” Celebi told me.

“But he’s been through a lot, too,” I protested meekly. “I don’t want anyone to be the Seed. I just want things to be the way they were. I don’t want anyone to die,” I murmured, more to myself. Regardless, I still hoped that Celebi and Rae would hear me. There was silence for a moment, then Celebi fluttered down and muttered something in Otnak, and I felt another weight around my neck.

“We retrieved Vapor’s gem while you were possessed. It is yours to keep. Come, Rae,” Celebi commanded, flitting off. Rae looked over at me, and then hugged me so tightly I nearly choked.

“I only did this because I love you so much,” he whispered softly to me. He then released me and turned away, leaving me only to gasp in wonder. If Rae loved me, then…

“Rae, wait!” I shouted, starting to gallop after him, but he had already disappeared into total cave blackness. “RAE!” I shouted again, collapsing onto my stomach in convulsive sobs. “You can’t… you can’t leave…” I started between gasps. I buried my head in my paws and made a confession I would never have dared to speak out loud.

“I love you too.”

Murkrow
Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Stinky Offline
Garbage Can

Send a message via AIM to Stinky

Darth, great chapter, as always. =P

Great twist you threw in there. I love seeing your character's personalities and relationships grow; it's like watching a tree over time.

Oh, and happy belated birthday. =D
Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Michelle8936 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Michelle8936

Yep, another awesome chapter.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
¡Con ganas!

But, I like your moody chapters. xP

This was really sweet. I love how Umbra wants to rescue her sister so badly and how Rae is sacrifing himself for Amethyst. It jsut brings all the emotion of the past chapters to the surface; it makes me want to squeal.

Awesome job. =3

- Kat

Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 AM
k_pop Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Been off for over a week. Good to come back to a good chapter!

It was awesome Darth! Just keep on going. ^^