Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via AIM to Nefarious
Default New Catching System?

Ok here is a quote from me that was posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious
Ok I just gotta say something. I found out today that not every pokemon is available to buy. So now I am stuck with writing a story. To me writing any story is like writing an essay which I dread. I want to catch a staryu but the minimum length is 2 and 1/2 posts.

I know you're not going to start a whole new system for catching pokemon just so I can catch a staryu but maybe you should at least consider another way of catching pokemon. Not everyone exactly has the time to write a story just to catch a pokemon. Plus I'm not very good at writing so I'd probably fail at catching it anyway.

I'm not sure if any of you feel the same way but I just felt that I had to say that. If there is absolutely no way you are going to consider a new way then just ignore this and I'll do the best I can to write the story.

Thanks for your time.
So you know how I feel towards using the story system for catching pokemon. I am sure at least some of you feel the same way. I am not looking to repalce teh current system just make a new one so we can have two of them. Once would work for some people and the other would work for other people.

Here are some of my ideas:

I thought maybe we can do something in post count. Make a certain amount of posts get a certain pokemon. Of course it'd be more complicated than that.

Lets say Staryu has takes 200 posts to be captured. Well you can Spam your way up but that would just be cheating so you'd obviously be banned. Similiar to VPP only different. In addition to the posting, you'd have to write a detailed paragraph on how you caught it. Nothing too fancy just a paragraph unlike an enormous story.

Or you can limit how many posts count towards the capture a day. Like if you made 50 posts that day only 30 of them count towards the capture. So it doesn't matter how many posts you make only a certain number of posts will count towards that capture. i don't exactly know how to pull this idea through but I thought it could get some of you started on an idea.

Well those are my suggestions anyway. Hopefully over time we can possibly have a new system. Just give your ideas and suggestions here and how we can run a new system.

My ideas are just suggestions. If you have a sompletely different idea go ahead and post it.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Syas Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Syas Send a message via Yahoo to Syas
Default Re: New Catching System?

I am really opposed to Post Count affecting URPG. It brings the question down to "what is a worthwhile post?". Again, I am not trying to discredit your idea, just offer you a different point of view.

Let's say John Smith wants a Chansey. Regardless of his skill with writing a story, chances are, catching a Chansey with your method will be MUCH easier. John posts that he is going for Chansey, URPG Official says "Okay, 1000 posts". John keeps "Daily Chit-Chat" thread up while he doing other stuff on the boards. He could very well have that Chansey by the end of the week. In fact he doesn't even have to be active in the URPG to make his catch, he can get his posts elsewhere!

Now Jake Smith wants a Chansey, but isn't active outside the URPG, so he decides to write a story. Well, writing for a Chansey is nowhere near easy, so he submits his story, gets critiqued, rewrites it, resubmits it, recritiqued, rewrites it, etc. Maybe, maybe, by the end of the Month he has it.

Jake Smith has to put an infinite amount more time and effort in than John Smith, yet who gets the Chansey first?

Not to mention, if we use your way, EVERYONE could just apply for Chansey, Feebas, Fossil, Porygon, Tyranitar, etc. and just leave that in there. While they are around the site, they let their post count go up normally until *DING* great pokemon, no effort.

Another way to phrase that is: I make about 20 Posts a Day. If a Complex Capture pokemon (Ralts, Growlithe, Magnemite, Rhyhorn, Torkoal, Eevee) can be gotten in 200 posts, I get a new Pokemon every 10 days, with just a Paragraph to write? Doesn't seem right.

One last point on Post Count. Those who are active outside the URPG will garner a drastic benefit from your Post Count idea, while those that are only active within the URPG will not. That, I feel is quite unfair. URPG is URPG, everyone should have the same chance to do something, without having to pad their posts by going to Forums they don't care about.

Two final thoughts for you:
What I dislike most about the idea is how quickly people would gain 10, 20, 30 Pokemon. The best thing about URPG in my mind? Nothing is really Over-Used. There aren't 100 Salamence flying around, Skarm/Bliss doesn't appear on everyone's roster, and I might see a Metagross every two months. People all use different Pokemon. Give everyone easy access to all, and this will turn into Netbattle.

My own suggestion, would be a Recruitment/Cost scenario. Say your recruit 5 (New) Trainers to the URPG, as long as they stay for X amount of time (maybe 10 fights at the least?), you are able to Purchase any Hard Difficulty or lower Pokemon not in the Pokemart for $20,000. That way you need to be active in the URPG, as do your recruits. We bolster our numbers, you recieve the ability to purchase a Hard Diff or lower Poke as a Headhunter Reward.

Anyhow, already 20 mins late for work,

~Syas

BW Friend Code: 1420 7304 0029

Last edited by Syas; 04-05-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Ok good at least this is being considered.

Anyway I totally see what your getting at. Post count is just not an option.

Quote:
My own suggestion, would be a Recruitment/Cost scenario. Say your recruit 5 (New) Trainers to the URPG, as long as they stay for X amount of time (maybe 10 fights at the least?), you are able to Purchase any Hard Difficulty or lower Pokemon not in the Pokemart for $20,000. That way you need to be active in the URPG, as do your recruits. We bolster our numbers, you recieve the ability to purchase a Hard Diff or lower Poke as a Headhunter Reward.
This can also be a good way but the whole reason I want to do this is to win battles without having to write. I want more pokemon to battle with but if I lose battles It isn't likely that I'll have a new pokemon soon.

Another way to solve this is to just put all the pokemon up for the mart with high prices. Or maybe you should have a certain amount of battles to buy a certain pokemon. I don't know.

Anymore ideas?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Magare Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Magare

Not every mon can be gained easily like that. Some of us (mostly refs, but some trainers as well) gain a lot of money and it would be very easy to get any mon we'd like.

For now, stay with stories, and once Bron finishes his "Park" you'll have a new way of catching pokemon....
Old 04-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

You mean there is already a new way in progress?

And I know the way I've already suggested is much too wasy but we can still find another way that is as hard as the stories only without the writing.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

Have you asked someone else to catch you a staryu, then trade it for pokémon you can buy?
Ever tried the (forgotten though) auction?
Rare or good pokémon are supposed to be hard to catch, or at least expensive. Don't take writting stories as something that you dread, you should have fun when writting a story.
If you don't have time to write a story, try writting pieces of it during free time, during school in a notebook, once you get to home just write it to the PC. In a few days, you'll have a story long enough for staryu.
Marth.
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Well this isn't ALL about staryu. There are many other pokemon I'd like to obtain also.

And for soem reason I just don't like writing. I wouldn't say I hate it but I really don't like it, which is the whole reason I brought up this topic.

Trading would be nice but I'd rather not waste money seeing as I only have 3000 at the moment and can't buy one right now anyway.

I learned only yesterday that the auction was a long shot.

I am not trying to make this easier for myself, I am just trying to make it more fun for me, and any other member who doesn't like writing. I know it takes a lot of effort into writing stories, which some people don't mind doing, but I am trying to redirect that effort towards something I actually would like to do.

Anyway that's my opinion. If you don't want to go through with all of this then guess I'm stuck doing something I don't really want to do.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

NF, that idea makes it kinda easy to get Pkmn for people that post in DCC.

Listen to Magare. I'm making a Cathing Park and that will likely be very well organized an run, so you won't have to worry about the Mart not having everything or Stories being too hard. BUT, at the same time, my Park will not be a walk in the....well.....Park.

Just give me a chance to sort out my life and move to a new apartment and I'll continue writing it and tweaking it.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84
NF, that idea makes it kinda easy to get Pkmn for people that post in DCC.

Listen to Magare. I'm making a Cathing Park and that will likely be very well organized an run, so you won't have to worry about the Mart not having everything or Stories being too hard. BUT, at the same time, my Park will not be a walk in the....well.....Park.

Just give me a chance to sort out my life and move to a new apartment and I'll continue writing it and tweaking it.
Well I already said that my first plan wasn't going to work.

Anyway I had no idea you were working on that. How exaclty is it going to work. And will I be able to catch pokemon like staryu? If there's already a thread just go ahead and direct me to it.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Dig through the URPG General Section. There is an old thread that will be used as the HQ of the Park when it's done. Please be aware that the thread hasn't been updated and that anything in it is subject to changes.

Nonetheless, it will give you a good expalanation of what the Park will be.

Man, you really should get a Messenger. That way you can ask questions more easily. Why not get Trillian?
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:37 AM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Ok thanks. And I have YIM but I hate using it since sometimes I am pulled off the computer without any note of absence and I might leave a person wondering where I went. So yeah. Anyway the last thing I want is to sound like a newb. So I'll just stop and go look for that thread.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

before ya start downing on writing stories, try it out. write, write, write. see what happens. maybe it's easier than you think. besides, graders are here to help ya anytime.

other ways to get Pokemon-
the Park: in long progress
auction
pokemart
winning tournaments
winning contests
trading with others
other special events

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 PM
King Zark Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to King Zark Send a message via MSN to King Zark Send a message via Yahoo to King Zark

I know I can't post here but this is VERY important so it you are a mod and delete if you wish.

I say have one of those bug catching conest but it is different type every so often and the person in charge (someone who is active) would give a pokemon numbers on a dice like caterpie and weedles are 1-25 and sycthers are 100 so you request a pokemon so the person incharge will roll a dice then whatever the number is that is he pokemon he/she get but they have to write a story or ask a ref to ref a such battle so you can get the pokemon. Next, the pokemon can't faint or they can't be 100% HP and be captured.

Finally the Conest graders will grade it and give a grade 1-100 and top two winners will get something (First-the pokemon second-(money amount)).

Here's my idea.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaTamer2k5
I know I can't post here but this is VERY important so it you are a mod and delete if you wish.

I say have one of those bug catching conest but it is different type every so often and the person in charge (someone who is active) would give a pokemon numbers on a dice like caterpie and weedles are 1-25 and sycthers are 100 so you request a pokemon so the person incharge will roll a dice then whatever the number is that is he pokemon he/she get but they have to write a story or ask a ref to ref a such battle so you can get the pokemon. Next, the pokemon can't faint or they can't be 100% HP and be captured.

Finally the Conest graders will grade it and give a grade 1-100 and top two winners will get something (First-the pokemon second-(money amount)).

Here's my idea.
Yup, you can't post here. Try not doing it again.
And about your idea, it's almost the same as writting a story forcatching a pokémon. And I think the contest is too complicated to be realized. There are a lot of alternatives.
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 04-14-2005, 11:27 AM
hannah potter Offline
Experienced Trainer

what is this ?
help
Closed Thread