Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Manjoume Jun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Manjoume Jun Send a message via MSN to Manjoume Jun
Default Taking Liberties

Now, I may be going out on a limb here, but a certain member who has been around for a few months now is starting to tick me off a little. Not in a personal way, it's more his attitude around the forum, and I can safely say that I doubt it has been left unnoticed by others.

This member is Pokemaster Lan.

He's been around for about 4 months now, and he has made even more posts than I have, and in general things seem fine.

But if you just look over his last 50 or so posts, he's really starting to bash the newer members, as he doesn't seem to have much acclaim for the difference between a curious newbie, and an idiotic n00b.

More rather, he appears to be verbally seeing anyone new to the forum as a low-life n00b, which I don't think is the right way to go about it.

A thread was a made by a newbie a while back, who was curious about using sprites in his/her sig, and Lan's response to this was definitely not what you would like to hear if you were new to a forum and wishing to fit in.

Another thread appeared in Other Chat a while back by Lan, commenting on the amount of new members, and he was trying to sort out some sort of "n00b month", which again, is highly irregular, and I really didn't like this idea coming from him at all.

Perhaps I'm just jumping to conclusions here, but perheps he should be more aware of what he is saying, before he steps over the line.

Anyone else wish to leave any comments?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing
Default Re: Taking Liberties

I, personally, am sick of him trying to *Unofficaly Lock* threads, like he's some lower-powered Mod or something. He really has no right to act like a Mod. He wants to become one, I think, but the way he's acting will ensure he never gets that position.

Also, I too have noticed him pouncing newbs as of late. Just because he is an older member does not give him the right to bash newer ones.

I'm not trying to go on a Lan-bashing spree, but I really do think a Mod needs to talk to him and help him straighten out his attitude.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 04-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I honestly think you’re exaggerating Lan’s behavior a little bit. For the most part, he’s been an extremely good member for the past few months and I have checked his last posts and almost all of them were perfectly fine. Also, I’m sure that the post you pointed out was in sarcasm, but I can’t say that in definite. It’s just one bad post out of many, and I think all of us jump the edge a little bit at one time or another.

To say the least, it’s not just him who has been complaining about the occurrence of noobs lately. There have been many, many new members that simply don’t read the rules even after they’ve been showed the link to them time and time again. Either that, or they really don’t care for them. And secondly, it just seems like anyone who has a name that starts with a lowercase letter is automatically considered a noob since they couldn’t even be bothered to make the first letter capital to indicate a proper noun and/or it has abysmal spelling. Really, take two pretend member names of “Dreamcatcher” and “tehbestestmaser1095.” Which one sounds more like it belongs to a noob? Hate to say it, but its just way too easy to make that assumption.

Whenever anyone signs up for a forum, the very first thing they should do is look at the rules and look at the posts made by senior members, and adjust their posts according to that kind of context and behavior that they see. Honestly, maybe its time we have a big link on the forum index that links straight to the rules, somewhat like Serebii has on their forum. That way, no one can accuse anyone that PE2K doesn’t have rules. Plus really now, how many times has the “How do I get an image in my sig” question been asked by now? To say the least, people are getting sick of answering that and very similar questions when the question is already answered perfectly in another thread. And I honestly think that’s how Lan feels about all this. Yes, it is annoying.

On other forums, they don’t even tolerate it, and they expect everyone to act accordingly even before they start posting. I’m not saying we should do that and be dictators about this, but new members have got to listen to what they hear from other members who are far more knowledgeable about the forum than they are. You don’t just do whatever the hell you want when you get a new job or you go to a new school, you adjust yourself and your actions to affiliate with other people better. Again, I stress that people who don’t do that aren’t going to be looked upon favorably, its only human nature.

For one thing, I think we need to make the rules far more evident than just tucking them away in a board that looks like its questions to Ryan only. That way, every new member that comes here will be exposed to them right away, and hopefully that will answer questions that they have immediately, so everyone else doesn’t need to answer them again in a seperate thread.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 04-30-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:57 PM
JohtoTrainer Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to JohtoTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to JohtoTrainer

I know exactly what you're saying about the username with a lowercase letter. For some reason I've always thought that. But yea, Dan, Lan isn't even as close as how bad Raik was, and he didn't even get banned till not to long ago.

This suit is black not.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

I have to admit, I have seen others bashing on newbs as well. We've had quite the flood of them lately (newbs I mean) ^_^. But that's actually a good thing.

I wish people would quite confusing newb and n00b as well. There is a difference between the two, and the second is quite offensive to us older members who know what it means. A NEWB is a person new to something, a N00B is someone who is extremely annoying, usually on purpose (though not always). Examples: "You must be a newb, because you don't seem to have very much knowledge." "You stupid n00b! Quite annoying everyone and go away." I admit, sometimes n00bs can be newbs and vice versa, but that doesn't make them the same.

Also, I don't think anyone should judge a member, newer or older, just because of how their username is spelled. I certainly don't ^_^.

And I know we all get tired of repeating ourselves, but there are right ways and wrong ways to tell newbs where to go. Sure, if they get a link to the rules but ignore them, that's one thing. But if they only do it once or twice, is it really THAT bad? Newbs are new, after all. But yeah, maybe there SHOULD be a link to the rules stuck on the forums home page. That way newbs would know what to read afore posting and all, and we older members wouldn't have to keep repeating ourselves and snapping at people who don't know better.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Matt Offline
<- Khold's Butt
Elite Trainer (Level 7)

Send a message via AIM to Matt

I agree with Tyranitar_Trainer (can I call you TT?). I'm probably going to get a lot of that junk for a little while, it happens to everyone. A lot of the time, people are labeled n00bs because they're new to forums in general. If you haven't been to them before, you will be speaking like you are on AIM. You may not know there are rules at all. You may post things that you would believe are accepted until you are told otherwise.

And while we are talking about getting a link to the rules, can someone give me one. (heh.) Sorry, I couldn't find them.
------
FrozenChaos703: I have a kitty named Peaches.
FrozenChaos703: She can stand on my boobs.
FrozenChaos703: Without falling.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

*Nods.* Sure, everyone else calls me TT ^_^.

And as you asked:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...hread.php?t=28

There's a link to the forum rules for ya ^_^.

Hope you have fun here. O_o wow that sounded....really stupid lol.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 05-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

TT, actual definitions are:

Newbie (Newb): One who is new to something, usually with a small knowledge on certain topics, yet is willing to learn and improve.

Noob (n00b): One who is new to something, usually with a small knowledge on certain (most) topics, and seeming ignores any help/advice given to them, thinking they already know.

"Newbie" is usually for people new to forums in General, though since there's no word for someone new to a forum yet not new to forums altogether, new members are usually referred to as "newbies" too.

Anyway, on the topic of certain members actions towards new members... Well, we all know that respect must be earned. New members who fit into the "n00b" catagory sometimes deserve how members treat them, since they rarely earn true respect until they become general "newbs", so some peoples reactions are understandable.

And of course, I don't want to go into big detail about it, but I don't think Raik was anywhere near as harsh as most people believe. He's a good friend who gave respect to those he thought deserved it; I don't think it's right to consider him bad towards newbies. I mean, our respect is earned by others in different ways; who were we to tell him to respect others if he believed very few deserved it?

Anyway, away from that, usually going out into the open and publicly talking about a member isn't the best way to deal with people you think may be unfair, as it might cause trouble between members (Namely Lan and anyone else who might agree), but I suppose there's no way around it.

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 05-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Heh, yeah, good definitions of the whole newb/n00b thing. ^_^ I was close lol.

Also, yes, n00bs who keep on being n00b-ish DO deserve to get snapped at. I agree with you all the way on that, and the whole earned-respect thing.

But not all newbs act n00b-ish. It's them who I feel shouldn't be yelled at, when they make a mistake or two. I myself do it sometimes, yet I don't get told off (most of the time anyways >_>) as the newbs do. Is it because I'm an older member who knows better? If it's because I'm older and know better, then shouldn't I get yelled at MORE than the newb who does the same thing? I really don't think that's fair. Just my opinion though. ^_^ Please don't flame me for it o_o.

^Rock Musical Bleach^