Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy
Default Re: Villains in Pokémon Fanfiction

I would like to point out that two of the greatest anime/manga series of the current era, Death Note and Code Geass, have no defined villain, full stop. Villains can be pretty much however the hell you want them, heck, they can even be the protagonist and the antagonist is a good guy. Look at Lupin III, the main character is a thief!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
TheDarkEevee Offline

I like my villans to be dark, and have a definate past, but not reveal it until later in the story.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post

Villains who run away can actually be a lot of fun to write about, because the protagonist can never seem to catch them. But yes, they do get annoying.

Apart from all the one's you've spoken of, I like villains who aren't even in the story till quite late. If anyone has read the Sally Lockhart series, you'll know what I mean. The villain is there, causing life to be hell for the protagonist, but no one knows that he/she is even there. Then finally, after grueling tasks to find out who this villain is, and where he/she can be found, the villain is easy to kill. One bullet to the chest. One push off a building. Almost an anti-climax, but Pullman does them so well, that I've developed a liking for them.

Deathspector
That's actually a very interesting point you brought up, Deathspector, and I might have to agree with you on that. Well, some parts.

I like my villians to stay strong pretty much throughout the entire story, but it's interesting when the main protagonist doesn't know what they're doing.

@ skiboydoggy - Thieves don't have to neccessarily be bad characters. I like the idea of thieves being portrayed as a protagonist.

@ TheDrakEevee - Ditto. ^_^

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links
Old 06-07-2008, 01:49 PM
dottio716 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via Yahoo to dottio716

I was planning on making a Fan-Fic based on my RP Pokemon Adventures: Hidden Destiny. The main villian is Giratina, who wants to take over both his dimension, which is filled with darkness and evil, and our dimension.

He's the kind of person who is fair, wanting a worthy opponent, and won't fight you otherwise. He's by far the strongest character in the Fan-Fic besides possibly the protaganist.

With his near infinite strength, he even plans to overcome Arceus.

Maybe a bit too revealing....

Anyway, I like Villians that believe they are the Ultimate. They have extrordinary goals, such as taking over the Universe, the ENTIRE Universe, and will do anything to rule it with an iron fist. They want protagonist to know they are there, and they want them to know you can't win.

Last edited by dottio716; 06-07-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Kakuzu Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kakuzu Send a message via MSN to Kakuzu Send a message via Yahoo to Kakuzu

A villain can be either the protagonist or the antagonist. According to Encarda, a protagonist is the main character. An antagonist is the character conflicting with the protagonist. Therefore the protagonist can be the villain opposing the hero. As long as a character is the main character, he / she is the protagonist. As long as a character is in conflict with the protagonist, he / she is the antagonist. Take Death Note for example. Light was the protagonist yet he was a villain. L and his successors were the antagonists yet they the heroes. It's all a matter of perspective. Who the main character is doesn't change their intentions. For example, if I have two fictions. One revolves around Hero. The other revolves around Villain. In FictionA, the protagonist is Hero, and the antagonist is Villain. In FictionB, the protagonist is Villain, and the antagonist is Hero. These fictions are exactly the same but written from different perspectives. Does a switch in perspective change the fact that Hero is still good? Does that change that Villain is still good? No, it doesn't. It just gives them different roles.

Kakuzu has spoken.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakuzu View Post
A villain can be either the protagonist or the antagonist. According to Encarda, a protagonist is the main character. An antagonist is the character conflicting with the protagonist. Therefore the protagonist can be the villain opposing the hero. As long as a character is the main character, he / she is the protagonist. As long as a character is in conflict with the protagonist, he / she is the antagonist. Take Death Note for example. Light was the protagonist yet he was a villain. L and his successors were the antagonists yet they the heroes. It's all a matter of perspective. Who the main character is doesn't change their intentions. For example, if I have two fictions. One revolves around Hero. The other revolves around Villain. In FictionA, the protagonist is Hero, and the antagonist is Villain. In FictionB, the protagonist is Villain, and the antagonist is Hero. These fictions are exactly the same but written from different perspectives. Does a switch in perspective change the fact that Hero is still good? Does that change that Villain is still good? No, it doesn't. It just gives them different roles.

Kakuzu has spoken.
When did this turn into a major debate about antagonists vs. protagonists?

It was originally asking about the types of villians, and how they should act.

~LR

Links
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Kakuzu Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kakuzu Send a message via MSN to Kakuzu Send a message via Yahoo to Kakuzu

Haha, a debate? Well, I thought I was just giving some advice.

My point was that villains can have a wide range of personalities. A villain's role needs to match the personality. It needs to be realistic. For example, a tyrannical Tyranitar would generally be arrogant, cocky, and otherwise conceded. He has status and power to enforce it. That arrogancy ultimately leads to his downfall. I imagine a Gengar would be sadistic and malicious. He enjoys causing others to suffer. It amuses him. Eventually, his failure to see compassion and kindness in individuals is exploited. All characters should be torn apart and left defenseless. Exploit all possible personality flaws, but don't be melodramatic. All effective writers use villains who have been thoroughly explored. Even cliché villains can be successful if enough detail is given. One of the major flaws in writing is that many characters, including the villains, are left flat. Well-developed characters are rounded. They learn from mistakes, and if they cannot, they pay the consequences. This applies for both protagonists and antagonists. The only difference with villains is that you're not always writing about the protagonist. Like I said, any villain can be successfully pulled off. You just need to tie everything together. Give as much information as you feel is needed. Sometimes cliché can be good, and if you're a relatively new writer, I advise you to try it. Don't try to be flashy and impressive. Work with ideas, no matter how stupid they may seem. A good villain isn't always the most original. Remember that.

Well, that's at least my thoughts. I'm no professional, but I have been writing for a long time.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakuzu View Post
Haha, a debate? Well, I thought I was just giving some advice.

My point was that villains can have a wide range of personalities. A villain's role needs to match the personality. It needs to be realistic. For example, a tyrannical Tyranitar would generally be arrogant, cocky, and otherwise conceded. He has status and power to enforce it. That arrogancy ultimately leads to his downfall. I imagine a Gengar would be sadistic and malicious. He enjoys causing others to suffer. It amuses him. Eventually, his failure to see compassion and kindness in individuals is exploited. All characters should be torn apart and left defenseless. Exploit all possible personality flaws, but don't be melodramatic. All effective writers use villains who have been thoroughly explored. Even cliché villains can be successful if enough detail is given. One of the major flaws in writing is that many characters, including the villains, are left flat. Well-developed characters are rounded. They learn from mistakes, and if they cannot, they pay the consequences. This applies for both protagonists and antagonists. The only difference with villains is that you're not always writing about the protagonist. Like I said, any villain can be successfully pulled off. You just need to tie everything together. Give as much information as you feel is needed. Sometimes cliché can be good, and if you're a relatively new writer, I advise you to try it. Don't try to be flashy and impressive. Work with ideas, no matter how stupid they may seem. A good villain isn't always the most original. Remember that.

Well, that's at least my thoughts. I'm no professional, but I have been writing for a long time.
Well, I didn't mean to cause an argument/debate.

But I know what you're saying, and I agree. Characters should be like three dimensional objects. Or, more than that actually; they can't just be flat.
I guess a good villian could be anything, even a cliche, if it is done well. It would be more advisable for newer writers, like you said.
But for others, I think pushing the boundaries a bit would work nicely.

I understand. I'm a writer too, second only to graphic design of course. ^_^

Links
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Though I like to make up villians as much as the next person, for Pokemon fan fiction, the evil teams are really awesome, especially Team Rocket. Not the bumbling idiots of the anime and the games, though, they are just pansies. I like the main idea of it all. Magma getting rid of all the oceans, Aqua submerging all of the eath, Glactic using the pixies to control the titans; their plots are pretty awesome. In fan ficiton, you can create truly fightening team members, those who don't take pity on their victims. You can combine cunning intelligence and burtal motives all in one while messing with how the team works like ranks, what Pokemon they get, who's in charge, etc.

I also Pokemon as villians. Pokemon have been shown to be extremely intelligent, and with their elemtanl powers, they can be pretty scary. They can be made with every personality under the sun, just like humans. They can be just as inpredicatble as human villians, but they can also be more interesting.

Yeah, my opinions about how I see villians for Pokemon fan fiction.

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

Villains in my opinion should be hard to stop, slightly mad, and perhaps even have a connection with the hero. I'll use my fan fiction, SonicX: Dark Storm, as a example.

I've taken a different tactic, turning the hero into the villain. For one, a good past is necessary. Seeing as SEGA never really truly explained Sonic's past in detail, I took the liberty of giving him evil in his past. Eventually, a demon from his past comes back and haunts him, driving him mad. In his insane bid for freedom, he even attacks his allies. Dark Super Sonic ultimately is hard to defeat, showing little or no compassion, but still having some sort of humour, even if it is twisted. I even expanded on his powers, making him the main antagonist.

Nazo, whom never made it into SonicX, I created into a villain. Calm and level headed, he is highly sadistic. He is perfect, in the sense, that he analyzes his enemies and looks for weaknesses. Also, however, he is uber strong, thwarting even Super Sonic's attempts to injure him. He is the definiton of strength, evil, and cunning. When he enters a fight, the heroes will not win.

As you can see, you can even take official ideas and warp them to your hearts content. Having a villain that was a hero driven mad is what I especially like to write about. The unknowing that they are fighting a former ally, and the revelation, forces the hero to make a hard decision: Kill a friend, or be killed? It is that sort of conflict that makes a reader beg for more.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator

Hay, it's Larvi again!

I really like selfishly motivated villains, ones that seek only to help themselves or are willing to turn traitor for the highest bidder. That, to me, seems like one of the more realistic villains, one that just does what he does for himself and no one else. That...essentially encompasses every villain, but meh. *gets sudden idea for a hedonist hero*

Also, I like insane villains, specifically ones insane because of their past.

However, the stories I like to write the most are ones with no clearly defined hero or villain. For example, in a one-shot called Dear Tyler that I started but never finished, the story is told through a young woman named Annabelle writing letters to her boyfriend, who has, according to the letters, left, presumably to move, but it never says that specifically. She meets a Rocket member testing out a Pokemon mind control device, and a battle ensues, which she wins.

However, in an unexpected move, Anna takes the Rocket's dagger and stabs her with it through the heart. At this point, it's revealed through her thoughts that Tyler did not move away; he was killed while working his job at the bank's front desk by two Rockets robbing the bank. It also is shown that she is insane, still writing letters to Tyler even though she knows he's dead. See, in this story, there really is no villain, maybe the Rocket in the park. Perhaps you could call Anna a hero, but she would be an extreme anti-hero, whose murderous, insane revenge just happens to be targeted at a bad team.

Kind of went off-topic, but meh.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Those villians do sound good, Larvi.

But they need an extensive character too. No use having a flat personality. ^_^

Links
Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
TheDarkEevee Offline

I kinda like my stories to not have a definate villian until later in the story. Or, have several villians. At the risk of sounding self-centered, my example is coming from my fan-fic (big suprise) The Pokemon Wars.

I'm not going to go on a huge explination of the storyline, but basically the main character, Kanji (anyone figure it out yet?) is being attacked by Sinnoh strike team members. But then he is captured by an organization that he once works for that wants him to do some... research for them. And then there is all the other regions strike team's that could be the major villian.

See what I mean? If you just flat out introduce the villian, then it usually makes for an overall bland story.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Scytherwolf Offline

My villains thread...it lives! =D

@TheDarkEevee: I kinda agree with that, which is why there's lots of different villains in my story (some of them haven't appeared yet). And I think writing about villains is just really fun!

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
My villains thread...it lives! =D

@TheDarkEevee: I kinda agree with that, which is why there's lots of different villains in my story (some of them haven't appeared yet). And I think writing about villains is just really fun!
True. Writing about villians is fun. ^_^

And I have a villian that's not introduced yet either. But...it will be..hehehhe...

Links