Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 AM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon
Default Re: The Metal Legion: A Heavy Metal Club

Yeah, let's just cut the crap. I think we need to just proceed without any crap wars going on in this, so let's just say we all suck and proceed.

First order of conversation;

Any new albums anyone is looking forward to?

Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

I'm really looking forward to Judas Priest's upcoming album titled 'Nostradamus'.

The two singles released so far seem top notch, it's nice to see that Priest hasn't strayed too far from their roots.

Also, the new Yngwie Malmsteen album coming out promises to be pretty decent, and I hear that Tim 'Ripper' Owens will be providing vocals on it.

On another note, is anyone going to see the 'Metal Masters Tour'?

Bands preforming:

-Judas Priest
-Heaven and Hell
-Motorhead
-Testament

I'm really looking forward to that show, bought my tickets yesterday.

And on a final note, I think that we should add Metallica to the Thrash Metal catagory, but only Pre-90's, after their album 'Metallica' they became very Alternative Rock and Blues Rock.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
Yeah, let's just cut the crap. I think we need to just proceed without any crap wars going on in this, so let's just say we all suck and proceed.

First order of conversation;

Any new albums anyone is looking forward to?
Oomph! is coming out with a new album, but judging by the single "Wach Auf", it's not going to be very heavy like the Oomph! of old. It's still good stuff though.

The Faceless just put up a new demo on their Myspace, so they might be coming out with something soon.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiikari View Post
I'm really looking forward to Judas Priest's upcoming album titled 'Nostradamus'.
I was not aware they were putting out a new album until you said that, LET ALONE A CONCEPT ALBUM.

Now you've got me all excited to hear it when it comes out.

Quote:
On another note, is anyone going to see the 'Metal Masters Tour'?
If they had any concerts closer to Tennessee, I'd be going to see it, just so I could hear Motorhead and Heaven & Hell.

Quote:
we should add Metallica to the Thrash Metal catagory, but only Pre-90's, after their album 'Metallica' they became very Alternative Rock and Blues Rock.
Don't forget their Grunge influences, too. ;P

Added.

Last edited by Sloddikus; 06-08-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
I was not aware they were putting out a new album until you said that, LET ALONE A CONCEPT ALBUM.

Now you've got me all excited to hear it when it comes out.
If you haven't already given the singles a listen, here they are. There was a torrent released recently, which sort of spoiled things a little but still:

Judas Priest - Dawn of Creation and Prophecy
Judas Priest - Pestilence and Plague
Judas Priest - Revelations
Judas Priest - The Four Horsemen and War
Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Some of those have the shorter songs before them as intros, like on the album.

But those are only 7 songs on a 23 double disc set album.

Halford is God.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Nitrous Oxide Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nitrous Oxide Send a message via MSN to Nitrous Oxide

5 Favorite bands: Iron Maiden, DragonForce, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Helloween
2 Favorite genres: Heavy, Power
Reason For Joining: Obvious?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:16 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Quote:
If you haven't already given the singles a listen, here they are. There was a torrent released recently, which sort of spoiled things a little but still:

Judas Priest - Dawn of Creation and Prophecy
Judas Priest - Pestilence and Plague
Judas Priest - Revelations
Judas Priest - The Four Horsemen and War
Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Some of those have the shorter songs before them as intros, like on the album.

But those are only 7 songs on a 23 double disc set album.

Halford is God.
They've still got it.

I look forward to hearing the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide View Post
5 Favorite bands: Iron Maiden, DragonForce, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Helloween
2 Favorite genres: Heavy, Power
Reason For Joining: Obvious?
Accepted.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
The Maple Syrup Baptist Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

As far as new releases...

The new Opeth is just incredible. They push Metal beyond it's ravaged boundaries, and their new album, "Watershed", is getting a completely non-baised and honest review from me later this week that should convince not only the Metallers here, but everyone, to buy it. It's art.

As for post-Nu-Metal, Disturbed's new album is really energetic. If you liked them before, you'll love them now. If you hated them before, you'll hate them less now (but still hate them). Guitarist Dan Donegan has some really good leads, and you can tell that he's pushing himself. Disturbed, like Slipknot, is a band that should of never fallen into the Nu-Metal category, because they were always capable of so much more. Both bands used to solo on all their old songs but dropped them because "it didn't feel right". I call bs everytime I hear that... They just wanted to fit into the (at the time) extremely popular "1-finger chord, detuned guitars, no solos" fad that was Nu-Metal.

And I don't think solos make a band Metal, but I do think they help a song from getting redundent, and as an example, the new Static-X CD would of aged like open cheese in the sun if Koichi didn't add solos. They're in the studio now, so I hope for more good soloing from him.

Apart from my rant, Cannibal Corpse are in the studio.

Bloodbath and working on full-length #3 and releasing a Live CD/DVD called 'Wacken Carnage" (if I remember correctly).

Fear Factory have been in the syudio forever, and now Raymond/X-tian are working with the Threat Signal vocalist on a band called Arkaea, which sounds like post-Dino FF with a more daring singer.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 07-19-2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Orthar Offline

I also forgot to mention that I'm really looking forward to Metallica's next album, set for release in September.

I desperately need some new material from them, listening to the And Justice for All album is getting stale. I've been doing that **** ever since ReLoad.

Lars Ulrich said that it sounds like albums from "the decade which starts with an eight."

I hope that we can trust Lars...
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The Maple Syrup Baptist Send a message via MSN to The Maple Syrup Baptist

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that I'm really looking forward to Metallica's next album, set for release in September.

I desperately need some new material from them, listening to the And Justice for All album is getting stale. I've been doing that **** ever since ReLoad.

Lars Ulrich said that it sounds like albums from "the decade which starts with an eight."

I'm excited for it too... Have you heard the clips? There are a few, should be on their site...

The new album has the guitar tones of St. Anger and the writing style of MoP, from what I've heard.

Then again, to me St. Anger was ok because I'm not the biggest Metallica fan to begin with. For Metallica, St. Anger sucked, but for just a Metal record in general, it wasn't too bad... Except the bloody tin-can drum sound, which was bad either way.

Also, as a guitarist, it sounded like they were using either Drop D or Drop C in one of the songs... Just by the way the chords sounded (557 on DAD, that kinda chord).

And Mastodon is doing a new CD, thank god cuz I miss them.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Quote:
OPEN UP YER GAYTES

Quote:
SPIRATES I ELAAAATE

Quote:
WATCH DA FAWLIN' SAAAANDS

Quote:
SYFTIN' THROUGH HIZ HAAAYND

If "Death Is Not The End" is any indication of what we're going to get from Metallica, every classic Metallica fan is going to get a mixed platter of happiness, muddled confusion, and disgust.

I mean, seriously. They wrote a pretty good song with "Death Is Not The End"-- good enough I actually managed to listen to the whole thing. Which is something I've not once been able to do with their newer works. It actually gave decent Thrashy solos, good riffs, and fairly okay drum work.

But, once again, it gets messed up with Hetfield's need for Alternative, clean vocals and adds some of his Alternative Rock love in it. Plus, bass work is still terrible ever since the death of Burton-- it got bad with Newsted, but got absolutely pathetic with Trujillo. The man is an absolute joke when he performs live, from what I've seen. What, with how he has his bass tuned incorrectly for classic songs, forgets to bring the right one on stage, goes into the bass lines for other songs. Hell, if there was a Bassist Hall of Shame, he'd be in first or second place. :\

Other than that, though...

Here's hoping you Metallica junkies get something decent. :P

Last edited by Sloddikus; 06-08-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: forgot to mention I'm judging Mr. Brilliance by his live performances
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Orthar Offline

Quote:
OPEN UP YER GAYTES

SPIRATES I ELAAAATE

WATCH DA FAWLIN' SAAAANDS

SYFTIN' THROUGH HIZ HAAAYND

If "Death Is Not The End" is any indication of what we're going to get from Metallica, every classic Metallica fan is going to get a mixed platter of happiness, muddled confusion, and disgust.

I mean, seriously. They wrote a pretty good song with "Death Is Not The End"-- good enough I actually managed to listen to the whole thing. Which is something I've not once been able to do with their newer works. It actually gave decent Thrashy solos, good riffs, and fairly okay drum work.

But, once again, it gets messed up with Hetfield's need for Alternative, clean vocals and adds some of his Alternative Rock love in it. Plus, bass work is still terrible ever since the death of Burton-- it got bad with Newsted, but got absolutely pathetic with Trujillo. The man is an absolute joke, what with how he has his bass tuned incorrectly, forgets to bring the right one on stage, goes into the bass lines for other songs. Hell, if there was a Bassist Hall of Shame, he'd be in first or second place. :\

'Death Is Not The End' was written at least two years ago, who's to say that it will be on the album? I wish I could have high hopes for them, and I truly want to. I mean, with that song the instrumentals are nice, but his voice ruined it. Not really the lyrics, seeing how I couldn't understand them...but his voice has just lost everything to it. Sure, some may argue that it was worn out from a long set or something like that but I don't know. I haven't heard any recent live Hetfield. He needs to learn how to add that dark feeling back into his voice, the sound from And Justice For All.

I'll probably buy the album when it comes out, not listening to reviewers and then I'll decide for myself. If it's better than St. Anger and has at least a few songs on there that remind me of the past, I say it's half-a-step in the right direction.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
But, once again, it gets messed up with Hetfield's need for Alternative, clean vocals and adds some of his Alternative Rock love in it. Plus, bass work is still terrible ever since the death of Burton-- it got bad with Newsted, but got absolutely pathetic with Trujillo. The man is an absolute joke, what with how he has his bass tuned incorrectly, forgets to bring the right one on stage, goes into the bass lines for other songs. Hell, if there was a Bassist Hall of Shame, he'd be in first or second place. :\

One would wonder why Metallica would have him then, when even a band like KoRn, who has never been about pushing musicianship, has a better bassist (and a very underrated one too).

I thought that back in the "Kill 'Em All" days, the bass sounded awful... A few times I cracked a smile listening to "Seek And Destroy"... And Hetfields voice blows. He's okay clean, and he has a classic thrash grunt that's still being mimicked today, but as a vocalist he sucks. It sure is fun to mimick him though, especially in a game like Singstar (Britney Spears sung like Hetfield = uber win).
Old 06-08-2008, 06:32 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Quote:
'Death Is Not The End' was written at least two years ago, who's to say that it will be on the album?
I'm going to give a wild guess and say it probably will be on the album.

Quote:
I mean, with that song the instrumentals are nice, but his voice ruined it. Not really the lyrics, seeing how I couldn't understand them...but his voice has just lost everything to it.
I never really understood what the hell he was saying during his golden years.

Quote:
Sure, some may argue that it was worn out from a long set or something like that but I don't know. I haven't heard any recent live Hetfield.
I've heard a lot of people say that too, and I look at those people with a look of shame and disgust-- the kind of look a homosexual would receive after they've announced s/he's gay in a room full of young republicans. There are hundreds of other vocalists who've spent grueling years performing live almost every night, and their voices remain hardly unaffected. Bruce Dickinson is an excellent example of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
One would wonder why Metallica would have him then, when even a band like KoRn, who has never been about pushing musicianship, has a better bassist (and a very underrated one too).
I blame age and stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I thought that back in the "Kill 'Em All" days, the bass sounded awful... A few times I cracked a smile listening to "Seek And Destroy"...
Heeeeeeeeell no.

The bass from the Kill 'Em All days was excellent. It actually stuck out and had an original sound to it.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Orthar Offline

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5hKiqRMcnhg

Someone clipped together all the new riffs/song excerpts/ect together.

Once again, I think the instruments are great but the lyrics ******* ruin it.

"Suicide/I've already died/You're just the funeral I've been wating for."

"Bow down/Sell your soul to me/I will set you free."

That's some grade 'A' bull. And RD, I heard some 'Death Is Not The End' in there, so it looks like you are right.
Closed Thread