Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 AM
faceplant527 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to faceplant527 Send a message via Yahoo to faceplant527
Default weavile

hey i got this weavile its ev trained: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

and is the basic guy pretty much.

but i didnt know pursuit was a move so wat should i have instead of it.

moves:

ice punch
brick break
night slash
???

please help quickly

| Links | RIP Ryan |

マンチェスターユナイテッド

Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy
Default Re: weavile

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant527 View Post
hey i got this weavile its ev trained: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

and is the basic guy pretty much.

but i didnt know pursuit was a move so wat should i have instead of it.

moves:

ice punch
brick break
night slash
???

please help quickly
I recommend Swords Dance, but you'll have to put the EVs in HP into Speed for the full 252. Swords Dance Weavile is rare in the metagame, which may cause your opponent to predict wrongly and grant you an SD, which would then allow you to OHKO things CB Weavile 2HKO (Wobbuffet for one). Use it with Focus Sash as your lead.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-24-2008, 05:35 PM
faceplant527 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to faceplant527 Send a message via Yahoo to faceplant527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
I recommend Swords Dance, but you'll have to put the EVs in HP into Speed for the full 252. Swords Dance Weavile is rare in the metagame, which may cause your opponent to predict wrongly and grant you an SD, which would then allow you to OHKO things CB Weavile 2HKO (Wobbuffet for one). Use it with Focus Sash as your lead.
i cant change evs now. and his speed is good enough. so ill do sword dance

thanks!!!!

| Links | RIP Ryan |

マンチェスターユナイテッド

Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

I would say to give it a Life Orb and put Pursuit in the last spot. I only don't use SD Weavile because it's hard to predict when there are a lot of counters hanging around to beat him down, such as Vacuum Wave Lucario and Bullet Punch Metagross (and Bullet Punch Lucario...actually). I usually use Weavile as a revenge killer because it can reap a lot of the benefits of Dugtrio's revenge killing without worrying about being countered directly after. So, you know...Azelf just downed your Tyranitar with Energy Ball or something like that, and you bring out Weavile to counter. Just Pursuit the little bugger and make sure he doesn't cause you any more trouble. Really, Pursuit is such a great asset because it screws up wall strategies involving Slowbro, Slowking, and Blissey in particular. You're not OHKOing much with it, but denting the opponent when they mean to retreat unscathed is something that's simply invaluable. Besides, I don't use Swords Dance particularly because of Choice Scarf Gengar and Garchomp switch-ins...I see them too often to appreciate Weavile for sweeping value, which is entirely ironic, because these are desecrations of other purposes of other Pokemon to get around Weavile's demonic Speed in particular. Besides, if there's anything I'd elect to sweep with Swords Dance, it's probably going to be Scizor or Lucario for their defensive and predictability advantages, respectively.

My Battle Log
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarago View Post
I would say to give it a Life Orb and put Pursuit in the last spot. I only don't use SD Weavile because it's hard to predict when there are a lot of counters hanging around to beat him down, such as Vacuum Wave Lucario and Bullet Punch Metagross (and Bullet Punch Lucario...actually). I usually use Weavile as a revenge killer because it can reap a lot of the benefits of Dugtrio's revenge killing without worrying about being countered directly after. So, you know...Azelf just downed your Tyranitar with Energy Ball or something like that, and you bring out Weavile to counter. Just Pursuit the little bugger and make sure he doesn't cause you any more trouble. Really, Pursuit is such a great asset because it screws up wall strategies involving Slowbro, Slowking, and Blissey in particular. You're not OHKOing much with it, but denting the opponent when they mean to retreat unscathed is something that's simply invaluable. Besides, I don't use Swords Dance particularly because of Choice Scarf Gengar and Garchomp switch-ins...I see them too often to appreciate Weavile for sweeping value, which is entirely ironic, because these are desecrations of other purposes of other Pokemon to get around Weavile's demonic Speed in particular. Besides, if there's anything I'd elect to sweep with Swords Dance, it's probably going to be Scizor or Lucario for their defensive and predictability advantages, respectively.
Well, yes, a bit of prediction is needed, but unless you already took a hit Focus Sash should save you. :3 I would definitely switch out of Gross tho, no way Weavile can take Gross and win outside of a crit with Night Slash. D:

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Well, yes, a bit of prediction is needed, but unless you already took a hit Focus Sash should save you. :3 I would definitely switch out of Gross tho, no way Weavile can take Gross and win outside of a crit with Night Slash. D:
Well, a Focus Sash does work on Weavile, and maybe you'll live well enough to give the foe a good thwack of 678 Attack power, but I'm still siding with Pursuit, for the prime reason that if you switch-in Weavile as a counter to the Pokemon already out, you are sacrificing the benefit of eliminating that sweeper or whatever it is. Moreover, you are allowing the opponent to switch to something very capable of stopping Weavile. Hitmontop in particular will stop Weavile in a second. Fake Out, Weavile flinches, and then a 360 Base Power Mach Punch destroys Weavile for whatever it may have been worth. I'm pretty sure Ambipom can pull a similar stunt as well.

My Battle Log
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Focus Sash becomes more and more of a liability the further DP progresses, with Tyranitar being omnipotent and Stealth Rocks being as popular as ever. You are essentially giving up a major power boost (Life Orb) in order to possibly switch in and live under optimal conditions, those being Stealth Rocks safely spinned away, and Tyranitar not showing up to ruin you.

Hi

Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
Focus Sash becomes more and more of a liability the further DP progresses, with Tyranitar being omnipotent and Stealth Rocks being as popular as ever. You are essentially giving up a major power boost (Life Orb) in order to possibly switch in and live under optimal conditions, those being Stealth Rocks safely spinned away, and Tyranitar not showing up to ruin you.
I think Metagross is more of a threat honestly, and Focus Sash is just there to gurantee the SD just in case you know the guy isn't gonna run the hell away from you.. Sure Tyranitar might switch in and ruin my fun after I have 1 HP, but if I'm the lead it won't happen so much.

And you know what Weavile does to Tyranitar leads? I think you can guess.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
I think Metagross is more of a threat honestly, and Focus Sash is just there to gurantee the SD just in case you know the guy isn't gonna run the hell away from you.. Sure Tyranitar might switch in and ruin my fun after I have 1 HP, but if I'm the lead it won't happen so much.

And you know what Weavile does to Tyranitar leads? I think you can guess.
Tyranitar's presence isn't directly threatening to Focus Sash Weavile as much as it is threatening in the sense that it gives it a completely useless item.

Hi

Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Tyranitar's presence isn't directly threatening to Focus Sash Weavile as much as it is threatening in the sense that it gives it a completely useless item.
But nothing else fits barring CB, which would then make you change your set. Who needs Leftovers on something so fragile anyway? :(

The main problem I have with Pursuit is that you switch in, Pursuit the thing going out and hopefully kill it, then you're going to SD in front of something that'll smash you to 1HP, which leaves you obscenely open. Pursuiting is better left to CB Weavile IMO. Quite a few things that will beat the crap out of Weavile get OHKOed after an SD and with or without Night Slash. Cresselia is one, Blissey deserves a mention (somehow), Metagross works as well I think, and Heatran gets raped by Brick Break since it comes in expecting CB Weavile most of the time, or most people just switch it in for some odd reason.

SD Weavile can't switch in BTW. That's why I always recomend it as a lead and not some backup poke. :/

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

No other item fits? Life Orb was practically made for SD Weavile

As a lead though, it's countered by an absurd amount of things. Bronzong, the most common lead happens to be one of Weavile's best counters. Not only can it fire off STAB, super effective Gyro Balls, it can set up Stealth Rocks to limit Weavile's ability to switch in (ruining the sash) or it can put you to sleep with Hypnosis. Obviously, Bronzong can do this to all leads, but I feel like it carries a lot of weight when discussing Weavile as a lead.

Besides, I didn't even mention Pursuit on SD Weavile @_@

Hi

Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
No other item fits? Life Orb was practically made for SD Weavile

As a lead though, it's countered by an absurd amount of things. Bronzong, the most common lead happens to be one of Weavile's best counters. Not only can it fire off STAB, super effective Gyro Balls, it can set up Stealth Rocks to limit Weavile's ability to switch in (ruining the sash) or it can put you to sleep with Hypnosis. Obviously, Bronzong can do this to all leads, but I feel like it carries a lot of weight when discussing Weavile as a lead.

Besides, I didn't even mention Pursuit on SD Weavile @_@
The Pursuit essay was for the benefit of Diarago, and I was too lazy to multi-quote. :/ Sorry if that screwed you up a little.

Well, I guess Life Orb works as well, but I'd rather the potential extra chance from Sash.

Is Focus Band banned? :O

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
The Pursuit essay was for the benefit of Diarago, and I was too lazy to multi-quote. :/ Sorry if that screwed you up a little.

Well, I guess Life Orb works as well, but I'd rather the potential extra chance from Sash.

Is Focus Band banned? :O
Focus Band is banned...it's annoying that merely a chance leaves you clinging to life all the time...It always happens in the Battle Tower whenever I try to kill certain Milotic.

The problem with what you're saying here is that Weavile's prime stat is Speed, and as a leader, he needs to take advantage of that. Besides, I think that either way, Weavile deserves a Life Orb, because the extra power makes the difference between near OHKOs and majority OHKOs. Besides, with Swords Dance Weavile, the best thing to do with it is to jump in on something that whimpers to an attack of his, like Garchomp, and when the opponent fails to call your bluff, you Swords Dance on the switch. Now, in that situation, there might be an argument for the Sash because the opponent could possibly switch to a counter that knows Mach Punch/Bullet Punch/Extremespeed/Vacuum Wave, and once you take the hit, you can sweep them effectively. But, if it's a Hitmontop or Ambipom, get out of there...>.>

Still, though, that Life Orb gives a really nice boost to all your attacks and makes Pursuit a powerful STAB move.

My Battle Log
Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarago View Post
Focus Band is banned...it's annoying that merely a chance leaves you clinging to life all the time...It always happens in the Battle Tower whenever I try to kill certain Milotic.

The problem with what you're saying here is that Weavile's prime stat is Speed, and as a leader, he needs to take advantage of that. Besides, I think that either way, Weavile deserves a Life Orb, because the extra power makes the difference between near OHKOs and majority OHKOs. Besides, with Swords Dance Weavile, the best thing to do with it is to jump in on something that whimpers to an attack of his, like Garchomp, and when the opponent fails to call your bluff, you Swords Dance on the switch. Now, in that situation, there might be an argument for the Sash because the opponent could possibly switch to a counter that knows Mach Punch/Bullet Punch/Extremespeed/Vacuum Wave, and once you take the hit, you can sweep them effectively. But, if it's a Hitmontop or Ambipom, get out of there...>.>

Still, though, that Life Orb gives a really nice boost to all your attacks and makes Pursuit a powerful STAB move.
I luuurrrrve making people think "CB WEAVILE!!!!" and do the wrong thing while I SD tho. :O That's the entire premise I'm working on, and I'll lose Weavile if the guy calls my bluff. For me it's a one-shot kinda thing. Plus I'm not too good with telling what the opponent will do next unless it's super obvious (Starmie vs Gyara... um, switch to Ground. Duh.).

Switching in SD Weavile safely needs to have you lose a poke or have it be your lead, so I'd rather the lead option. :/ Even if Bronzong shows up, I'll just put on a status absorber. XD

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
I luuurrrrve making people think "CB WEAVILE!!!!" and do the wrong thing while I SD tho. :O That's the entire premise I'm working on, and I'll lose Weavile if the guy calls my bluff. For me it's a one-shot kinda thing. Plus I'm not too good with telling what the opponent will do next unless it's super obvious (Starmie vs Gyara... um, switch to Ground. Duh.).

Switching in SD Weavile safely needs to have you lose a poke or have it be your lead, so I'd rather the lead option. :/ Even if Bronzong shows up, I'll just put on a status absorber. XD
Does it really matter, though? Even if the person knows that, you never know when a Mach Punch will come flying at you. Besides, like I said, if you want this as a leader, it has to be a surefire thing, like Zapdos, who can take most hits and live with nearly or over half his HP, Agility/Substitute, and then Pass if necessary, or just perform some good special sweeping.

Also, I find that Weavile is a good switch-in on Gengar if he's going to use Shadow Ball. Weavile's Special Defense is usually over 200, which is good enough to take Gengar's Shadow Ball very well, and the beauty of it is that if Gengar has a Choice Scarf, he'll either have to hit you with a weak hit or suffer one of Weavile's hits if he doesn't have one, which will almost guarantees the switch. Then again, like I said before, they could just switch to his Mach Punch, a factor which resonates my point that SD Weavile is very hard to use. Sure, it is horrendously powerful, but anything with a super-effective priority move will down it pretty badly.

My Battle Log