Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Lil MuDkiP849 Offline

Default Please take a look at my team, im new here =)

Hey elite 2000 i come from pokecommunity, things got kind of dull there so i decided to come here for better battles/strategys and whatnot. Anyways, here comes the team-

Crobat@Wide Lens
Timid
252 Spd, 84 Sp. Atk, 172 HP
Hypnosis
Air Slash
U-Turn
Taunt

My lead and taunt pokemon. I like leading with this so i can have an advantage, Hypnosis, or U-turn out, so it's good to start the battle this way with good speed. It hurts TTar leads by taunt, weavile leads to U-turn or hypnosis, and so on. Very dependable.

Snorlax@Leftovers
Careful
252 Hp/ Special Defense 252/ 4 Attack
Thick Fat

Rest
Sleep Talk
Body Slam
Crunch

Special Wall. Snorlax FTW!! Crunch is so it doesn't get walled/to counter gengar and other ghost/psychic special attackers/types.

Tangrowth@Lum Berry
Impish
252def/252HP/6atk

Rest
Earthquake
Knock Off
Power Whip

I decided that this should be my defensive wall. Grass type pwns =). I dont have sleep powder on here because i already have crobat to activate sleep clause, and it isn't very accurate. Earthquake likes to hit Electivire/Infernape alot. Rest is in here is because it's tangrowths ONLY recovery move, and it has won me games...

Infernape@Expert Belt
Jolly
252 Attack/ 252 Speed/4 Hp

Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Close Combat
Swords Dance

Physical sweeper, expert belt helps me punish gyrados with stone edge and other flying types (except gliscor). Substitute is in here because i like to use it on the switch.

Swampert@Choice Band
Relaxed
252 Hp/ 232 Defense/20 Attack

Hammer Arm
Earthquake
Avalanche
Waterfall

I dont know if this is standard or not but this is my tank and i usually have him handle tyrantiar...dont know what else to say...swampert is swampert =/

Alakazam@Life Orb
Timid
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Hp

Grass Knot
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

There's so many possibilities with Alakazam im not sure what i could do, so i gave him the potentials to sweep. I prefer grass knot so i cant hit heavies like TTar and Gyrados as well as Hippowdon...

This is my team...all comments/criticism will help =)

Last edited by Lil MuDkiP849; 07-05-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:13 AM
KAMAFLARGE Offline

Default Re: Please take a look at my team, im new here =)

Not bad do you want me to tell you mine

(you can allready tell two of them)
Old 06-27-2008, 02:21 AM
KAMAFLARGE Offline

i used to have that alakazam it is sooooo good mine was modest nature but now i have one w. energy ball for those lighter opponents
Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 AM
Lil MuDkiP849 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMAFLARGE View Post
i used to have that alakazam it is sooooo good mine was modest nature but now i have one w. energy ball for those lighter opponents
yea but i want grass knot because i have other options for the opponents that are lighter...and thanks =)
Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Um, actually Gyara rapes your Zam. D: Gyara stands there and soaks up your Grass Knots like nothing, then DDs once and kills. X_x Timid is good though, most people see Zam and think Modest Zam, so the extra speed and versatility could get you the jump.

You need a hardline Gyara counter. :/ At least one electric attack somewhere.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Lil MuDkiP849 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Um, actually Gyara rapes your Zam. D: Gyara stands there and soaks up your Grass Knots like nothing, then DDs once and kills. X_x Timid is good though, most people see Zam and think Modest Zam, so the extra speed and versatility could get you the jump.

I was thinking about Replacing Zam to put in a Bulkyish like Timid Starmie....do you feel that could count as a counter?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Spongebob Number One Fan Offline
Master Trainer

Hey lilmudkip. It's Anti from PC ;) You're not all alone here :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post

Most Gyarados don't outspeed Alakazam after a DD and STAB Psychic will do more than Grass Knot to it anyways. And seriously who runs Modest Alakazam? Zam is so fragile that it has to outspeed stuff to get kills. DD Gyarados is going to take a beating switching in on Alakazam anyways (which you seem to imply in your post) and i generally an awful switch into something like Alakazam anyways.

Tangrowth counters Gyarados =/ In fact it's one of the best Gyarados counters around, if that is "hardline" enough. Even if it somehow loses Zam can usually revenge it. You know something doesn't have to have an electric attack to counter Gyarados.

As for the team, Wide Lens really doesn't help Crobat a whole lot. Just give it leftovers or something, as the extra recovery can help it a lot.

Snorlax is good, but Tangrowth...meh. It's a decent wall and a great counter to Gyarados, but Earthquake is not necessary at all. Vire is going to get smashed by Swampert anyways (and even without Swampert, Tangrowth beats any physical Electivire taking Ice Punch like it's nothing). It is only useful for Infernape when you can catch it switching in, which is a rather risky proposition and a rather useless moveslot if your opponent doesn't have Infernape. Sleep Powder would take care of it anyways.

For Infernape, it doesn't need Substitute at all. It's basically just if you can't predict, and anything faster switching into Infernape is probably fragile enough to get hammered by its high powered attacks, so you can just predict and kill them switching in accordingly. The good physical Infernape counters are slower than you anyways. Swords Dance is more useful, as you can boost your Nape's power quite a bit and allow it to pose a much larger sweeping threat. You could also Choice band it. The two are really quite different sets though. Your team lacks something that can really dish out punishment right away, so CB Infernape might be a good option.

That Swampert gets walled hard. Hammer Arm is pretty useless on Swampert if I'm being honest, and special moves are generally more useful for it (in other words MixPert). Ice Beam means Salamence can't Intimidate your only defense against it. Swampert is very good at setting up SR, so take advantage of that if you can. Roar is probably going to want to fuind its way onto your set seeing as Ninjask can easily pass random boosts past your team, which shouldn't happen as Ninjask isn't all that...good. I'd run Ice Beam/Earthquake/Stealth Rock/Roar.

For Alakazam, you might as well Specs that sucker. Grass Knot isn't really necessary since Tar gets pelted by Focus Blast, and Gyarados and Hippowdon are going to take a beating from Psychic anyways. Use HP Fire to beat steels like Metagross. You might as well give it Choice Specs, though that could restrict you a bit too much, and Alakazam isn't exactly the bulkiest pokemon in the world so switching in is tougher.

Looking at this team more as a whole, I think Crobat should go. I like Crobat, but it doesn't help you a whole lot and something like Gliscor would help you take on fighters that quite honestly rape this team.

You have a dragon problem too. Boosted Dragon Claws and Outrages are going to do a number. HP Ice on Tangrowth is helpful in avoiding this, perhaps over Earthquake. BTW I'd also put in Sleep Talk over Knock Off. Knock Off is really awesome, but leaving Tangrowth pretty much dead for two turns with no cleric support isn't going to do.

A steel like Bronzong or Skarmory would help, but I'm kind of hesitant to suggest them since it would be a bit of physical wall overload. Ice Fang Gliscor would also help, but bulky DDmence, which is growing in popularity from my experiences, is going to give it trouble. Luckily HP Ice Tangrowth would be more than enough to kill it, along with your Swampert.

Hope that helped :)

Anti: IN SPACE
Anti: NOBODY CAN HEAR YOU CRY
Dark Azelf: In my basement no one can hear you struggle

Last edited by Spongebob Number One Fan; 06-28-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Lil MuDkiP849 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob Number One Fan View Post
Hey lilmudkip. It's Anti from PC ;) You're not all alone here :P
DUDE!! Anti!! I literally CAN depend on you for rates where ever i go cant i? You see everyone, people like Anti are the kind of people that keep me so perked up about this game =)

Quote:
Most Gyarados don't outspeed Alakazam after a DD and STAB Psychic will do more than Grass Knot to it anyways. And seriously who runs Modest Alakazam? Zam is so fragile that it has to outspeed stuff to get kills. DD Gyarados is going to take a beating switching in on Alakazam anyways (which you seem to imply in your post) and i generally an awful switch into something like Alakazam anyways.
Highly agree with bold

Quote:
Tangrowth counters Gyarados =/ In fact it's one of the best Gyarados counters around, if that is "hardline" enough. Even if it somehow loses Zam can usually revenge it. You know something doesn't have to have an electric attack to counter Gyarados.
Tangrowth serves gyrados on a golden platter. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
As for the team, Wide Lens really doesn't help Crobat a whole lot. Just give it leftovers or something, as the extra recovery can help it a lot.
Eh, it helps for a first turn hypnosis if it's a poke my team dislikes such as salamence and others. Mence gets really tricky nowadays, there's so many versions of it it's not even funny...it's also to ensure a hit against lead SD lucario which has been working amazingly well seeing as how they cant set up. It's extremely obvious their SD if they lead so i usually either nosis or just taunt right off the bat. If it's not shoddy then i dont have to worry about it being specscario with Hp Ice. But ive never seen a lead specs one.

Quote:
Snorlax is good, but Tangrowth...meh. It's a decent wall and a great counter to Gyarados, but Earthquake is not necessary at all. Vire is going to get smashed by Swampert anyways (and even without Swampert, Tangrowth beats any physical Electivire taking Ice Punch like it's nothing). It is only useful for Infernape when you can catch it switching in, which is a rather risky proposition and a rather useless moveslot if your opponent doesn't have Infernape. Sleep Powder would take care of it anyways.
That's true...but i dont want sleep powder if im leading off with Crobat+hypnosis to activate sleep clause or otherwise they switch and when i need my powder i cant use it because i'd break sleep clause and i've caught myself in that situation ALOT. Also the accuracy sucks =/ lol. But i would use it if im not leading with batty mcgee. I was actually thinking of replacing EQ with another move...dont know what though...

Quote:
For Infernape, it doesn't need Substitute at all. It's basically just if you can't predict, and anything faster switching into Infernape is probably fragile enough to get hammered by its high powered attacks, so you can just predict and kill them switching in accordingly. The good physical Infernape counters are slower than you anyways. Swords Dance is more useful, as you can boost your Nape's power quite a bit and allow it to pose a much larger sweeping threat. You could also Choice band it. The two are really quite different sets though. Your team lacks something that can really dish out punishment right away, so CB Infernape might be a good option.
With sub., it's just filler, i wasnt sure about SD so i might try that out. Someone at PC also suggested CB, as i originally posted too. Might go for that...

Quote:
That Swampert gets walled hard. Hammer Arm is pretty useless on Swampert if I'm being honest, and special moves are generally more useful for it (in other words MixPert). Ice Beam means Salamence can't Intimidate your only defense against it. Swampert is very good at setting up SR, so take advantage of that if you can. Roar is probably going to want to fuind its way onto your set seeing as Ninjask can easily pass random boosts past your team, which shouldn't happen as Ninjask isn't all that...good. I'd run Ice Beam/Earthquake/Stealth Rock/Roar.
I put hammer arm on swampert because it's my rock resist and my switch in on ttar. I havent faced a ttar yet, but so far my swampert takes rock hits like a beast. And yea i was thinking about baton pass stuff so i decided that i'd need a phazer who is a rock resist and swampert is perfect for the job. Maybe i could run that set, i wasnt sure on how to do it between his STAB moves.

Quote:
For Alakazam, you might as well Specs that sucker. Grass Knot isn't really necessary since Tar gets pelted by Focus Blast, and Gyarados and Hippowdon are going to take a beating from Psychic anyways. Use HP Fire to beat steels like Metagross. You might as well give it Choice Specs, though that could restrict you a bit too much, and Alakazam isn't exactly the bulkiest pokemon in the world so switching in is tougher.
If i spec it, i might as well put trick on it as well seeing as how Celebi annoys the living $het out of me. And for the switching in part you have to predict right or your opponent would just go up a score. My favorite combo to bring him out is with Bat+U-turn. If i know im faster and they got a weakness, you can say *Sup Silva Spoons?*

Quote:
Looking at this team more as a whole, I think Crobat should go. I like Crobat, but it doesn't help you a whole lot and something like Gliscor would help you take on fighters that quite honestly rape this team.
So you feel as though i should just completely SCRAP crobat and put in gliscor? i dunno man...i feel im putting in alot of physical defense as is.

Quote:
You have a dragon problem too. Boosted Dragon Claws and Outrages are going to do a number. HP Ice on Tangrowth is helpful in avoiding this, perhaps over Earthquake. BTW I'd also put in Sleep Talk over Knock Off. Knock Off is really awesome, but leaving Tangrowth pretty much dead for two turns with no cleric support isn't going to do.
Hp Ice/Power Whip/Rest/Sleep Talk...damn, thats genius...the only bad part about that is that i have to Hidden power breed

Quote:
A steel like Bronzong or Skarmory would help, but I'm kind of hesitant to suggest them since it would be a bit of physical wall overload. Ice Fang Gliscor would also help, but bulky DDmence, which is growing in popularity from my experiences, is going to give it trouble. Luckily HP Ice Tangrowth would be more than enough to kill it, along with your Swampert.
Sounds about right. I tried bulky mence and honestly i didnt like it at all. Sure, switching onto scarf hera for a free DDance was cool, but it just like...FAILS for me.

Quote:
Hope that helped :)
Anti man, youve been helpin' me for years now, what makes you think you *hope* you helped?? You always help man =)
Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Most people don't switch out against Tangrowth until one or two turns later when they figure out everything they're doing isn't working. I think. @_@ I don't run into BL mons much, so honestly I just point out stuff I find fairly obvious and leave the more fine-tuning parts to others like you, Sponge. I also prefer a more offensive approach, so I'd rather have an electric move somewhere to rip the living daylights out of Gyara rather than take Tangrowth and smash with Power Whip. Sure it's powerful, but my luck usually sucks. :(

I always thought people ran Modest Zam since Timid Zam didn't have enough powerz. It's probably because of Specs that the transition happens. :/ I prefer Life Orb though. Sucks to get pwned by Weavile when you tie speed and have about a 35% chance of killing the Weavile as opposed to 100% losing. Zam is so fragile anyway, it's probably dying to the first hit it eats.

Nothing else comes to mind at the moment, I'll check back and see if there's anything else to comment on.

To be honest, I am sh*t at team building. XD

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Master Trainer

Well it doesn't really matter if they switch out on Tangrowth or not since Tangrowth will win the confrontation, which is exactly why it is a Gyarados counter. :P

Zam can only hit Weavile switching in anyways. Honestly Weavile isn't that good and its usage is declining. Weavile Didn't seem to affect Gengar much either seeing as it is number 2 in usage.

It might seem like you're going heavy on the physical defensive side, but you can mess around with that. Your Swampert is more on the attacking side, so you could CB that sucker and Earthquake will be OHKOing Tyranitar anyways. It gives you more offense without really sacrificing much defense.

Honestly I've had team builder's block for like a month now (literally 0_o) so I'm not going to be too helpful with suggestions.

Just play around with the current lineup you have (while adding in and testing Gliscor) and see what does and doesn't work. Crobat is a good lead, but it just doesn't do anything for this team besides giving Infernape a free switch-in, and a Swords Dancer like that won't be sweeping in the early game anyways.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Lil MuDkiP849 Offline

Quote:
Well it doesn't really matter if they switch out on Tangrowth or not since Tangrowth will win the confrontation, which is exactly why it is a Gyarados counter. :P

Zam can only hit Weavile switching in anyways. Honestly Weavile isn't that good and its usage is declining. Weavile Didn't seem to affect Gengar much either seeing as it is number 2 in usage.

It might seem like you're going heavy on the physical defensive side, but you can mess around with that. Your Swampert is more on the attacking side, so you could CB that sucker and Earthquake will be OHKOing Tyranitar anyways. It gives you more offense without really sacrificing much defense.

Honestly I've had team builder's block for like a month now (literally 0_o) so I'm not going to be too helpful with suggestions.

Just play around with the current lineup you have (while adding in and testing Gliscor) and see what does and doesn't work. Crobat is a good lead, but it just doesn't do anything for this team besides giving Infernape a free switch-in, and a Swords Dancer like that won't be sweeping in the early game anyways.

So far crobat works as a lead for me and anti-meta taunter, but when it comes to dealing damage he just cant get the job done. Also sometimes when i need hypnosis to win me the game...it just...misses =/ It happened to me twice today. I feel as though i want another pokemon that's fast, and can make sure to give support to my team-mates without giving my team too many weaknesses...but what?? Can gliscor baton pass or something?? =/ To be honest i used him before he was *in* and *meta* and to be honest i REALLLLY didn't like the ice weakness...it just brought problems and with the rise of ice/dynamic punch machamp (which im seeing about 1 in every 2 battles i have now...) i dont think it would be such a good idea...i WANT and feel as though i NEED support nowadays...and i'd like to lead off with it because i want the support ASAP.

CB swampert?? Dude that sounds so cool! Though i'd have to get rid of the ENTIRE SR/Roar set and replace his moveset with all attacks. Also, i kind of need the physical support...swamperts typing is JUST PERFECT for this team...and his STAB moves provide my entire team with more support.

And infernape's good, most people usully think it's mixape immediatly and switch...depending on what's out that is...so at the same time infernape gives me an edge on prediction which is what i like about him. Infernape swept me 3 teams today, 2 of them without Swords Dance. Though sometimes i feel as though he's like...outclassed by other pokes...

Oh and about weavile, Tangy sayz Yo. I dont even see weavile anymore and to be honest whenever i do tangrowth usually kills it in 1-2 hits and rests or they switch and i can set up knock off or some other stuff. It's really not that big of a problem for me...swampert even laughs at it. Though i can see how a CB pursuit would hurt...

Also on another note...what does everyone think about me replacing crunch with pursuit on snorlax?? Everytime i get snorlax out on a gengar or something else...they switch and i hit a steel or dark resist with crunch...and i feel as though i would do better hurting them while predicting them at the same time...
Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Master Trainer

Pursuit is not viable on Snorlax. If Azelf or Gengar stays in, you're not going to make it.

Resttalk Machamp is pretty easy to counter. It doesn't hit all that hard and Ice Punch isn't going to be hurting Tangrowth anyways. IMO the ice weakness isn't a good reason to sideline Gliscor. Just keep it out of the way of ice attacks...it really isn't all that hard.

Leads last 3 turns at best usually and then they switch out, die, or whatever. Crobat just doesn't help this team at all...I can see why you like it, but it isn't doing anything to help this team achieve victory which is why it needs to go. It's just dead weight.

BTW Tangrowth can have fun taking ~70% from a SD LO Ice Punch from Weavile or Chocie Band Ice Punches and Ice Shards. It's not reliable Weavile coverage at all. You'll be able to skate by against the choice bander, but the Swords Dancer is going to just steamroll it (though it isn't that common and for a good reason).

I love Crobat leads (one of my favorite DP leads actually), but Gliscor takes the team slot so much better. I mean, Garchomp has an ice weakness and it's being considered for ubers, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 AM
Lil MuDkiP849 Offline

Quote:
Pursuit is not viable on Snorlax. If Azelf or Gengar stays in, you're not going to make it.

Resttalk Machamp is pretty easy to counter. It doesn't hit all that hard and Ice Punch isn't going to be hurting Tangrowth anyways. IMO the ice weakness isn't a good reason to sideline Gliscor. Just keep it out of the way of ice attacks...it really isn't all that hard.

Leads last 3 turns at best usually and then they switch out, die, or whatever. Crobat just doesn't help this team at all...I can see why you like it, but it isn't doing anything to help this team achieve victory which is why it needs to go. It's just dead weight.

BTW Tangrowth can have fun taking ~70% from a SD LO Ice Punch from Weavile or Chocie Band Ice Punches and Ice Shards. It's not reliable Weavile coverage at all. You'll be able to skate by against the choice bander, but the Swords Dancer is going to just steamroll it (though it isn't that common and for a good reason).

I love Crobat leads (one of my favorite DP leads actually), but Gliscor takes the team slot so much better. I mean, Garchomp has an ice weakness and it's being considered for ubers, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Either way for weavile, i never really see it and i usually just kill it with swampert anyway It does damage sure, but it never really does anything too bad. Ive seen it...once out of my 13 battles today.

And resttlak machamp really is easy to counter. The turn it uses rest i go crobat and taunt. Machamp cant do a thing.

Alright, so you feel gliscor will be good in here...what kind of set should i use for it? when i used it before i used it as a stealth rocker...if i remember correctly...
Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 AM
Master Trainer

Yeah I was agreeing you'd be able to beat resttalk machamp since you were talking about it being on the rise in your last post :P

Since Crobat doesn't do anyhting after the first three turns, I'd just replace that so you can put Gliscor in. Gliscor's set is pretty simple:

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -Satk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Ice Fang / Aerial Ace
- Taunt / Stealth Rock / Swords Dance / Knock Off / Aerial Ace / Ice Fang

The last slot is really funky. Anything works really. Knock Off is cool but isn't all that useful IMO. Swords Dance is cool because it makes it less of set-up bait for some other sweepers, just don't expect it to sweep teams (and btw different EVs are usually good if you use that). Taunt lets it annoy the crap out of things that literally try to set up on it and you can also stop those annoying Bronzong SR/Hypnosis leads. Stealth Rock is obviously a useful tool.

AA makes it a more reliable counter to Heracross while Ice Fang allows it to take on Garchomp okay. If you want to hit both you can forgo the support slot for the one you didn't put in the third slot.

Some people run speed EVs to outrun certain things like some Tyranitar. I'm not familiar with those spreads though so I can't provide them. I'd just check Smogon's EVs section on the Gliscor page and you can decide for yourself.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:43 AM
aeroblasted Offline
New Trainer

I also think the glisor would well in that team. I think thats really quite a good team, except for the crobat ( to many weak points). By the way, could someone tell me about this power whip move because I have never heard of it.