Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Galactic Spriter Offline

Default A Guide To Comic Making

Preparing The Comic

1. Comic making is mostly writing and creativity than spriting. So you need to think of Ideas. Don't make the usual, "I'm a trainer and I'm going to beat the gyms and beat the elite four and become the champion!!" unless you are going to stick with the idea and add some comedy at it. If you don't have any ideas, try looking around at some other comics such as Kanto Appeals and Destiny of Darkrai which are two great examples besides mine. If you still don't have any ideas, try starting with the usual adventure comic. Next, Think of a title that fits your comic plot. Destiny of Darkrai is called that because Its about what happened to Darkrai after he lost to the Hero and his Partner in PMD2. If you have that ready, move on to step 2.

Making an Issue

2. After you have this done, you should make an Issue. Issues are usually 4-8 panels. To start making your issue, get a background from the spriters resource. (Link) Choose your region, (Hoenn,Kanto), The shadow invention takes place in Kanto so i would go to FRLG section. Get a background And put it into your paint. Cut some of it out and make a border around it. You've finished the Background! Example:

3. You've placed the background, now to place some sprites. You can find them in the spriters resource Or you can edit them like I did with my Hero. (be sure to save your sprites so you don't lose them) Place them on panel 1.

4. It would be boring just making them stand around there, so Add some Text. Make a text bubble with the rounded rectangle tool(The last tool in paint) then choose the second option. Make sure your colors are white black then drag near the character. Then make a line pointing to the character and fill it in with white. When someone is thinking, do almost the same with the circle tool. Instead of making a line, you make a bunch of little circles leading to the character. Then, insert your text.

5. A panel is done! Or is it.. There's no reason to not download GIMP or Paint.net because they're both free! Download them to make extra effects, but this is a PAINT tutorial, so go to a graphics tutorial.

6. Make about 4-8 panels like this and your done! You can write a few notes at the bottom if you want. Now Upload it and get ready to make your thread if you have a few issues.

7. When making a thread you should include Plot,Issues and Optional Guest Star Form. Also, a banner would be nice. You should make a few reserves and your ready!

8. Guest stars are people that can enter your comic as an extra character. You need a form such as: Name: Age: Pokemon: Personality: Sprites: If you accept them you should enter them in the comic in a later issue.

9. Pokemon Battles: There are two methods of pokemon battling, Overworld and Normal. Overworld battles are when you get PMD sprites of the pokemon and show the Trainer ordering the pokemon to attack. Pokemon attack sprites can be found in the spriters resource. Normal battles are the ones like in the game. You go into a background and send in your pokemon. Their backsprites and Frontsprites can be found in the PE2K resource. Also, Health bars can be found in the FRLG section called Template.

10. Good luck making your comic! If you need any help PM me, Galactic Grunt. Also, you can check out other great comics like, The brainy and the blind, Kanto appeals and the Destiny of Darkrai. GOOD LUCK!

11. Extras from others: It never hurts to have color-coded text, for example:
When Pikachu talks its Dark Yellow text
When Squirtle talks it would be Blue and etc. -Kirbster

Tips:

-Do not include any characters from other games unless it is random, or Super Smash. If it is Pokemon, don't bring in Count Bleck. I learned from this mistake.

-Save as .png

-

Resources:

The Spriters Resource

NPCs
Interface(speech bubbles, etc.)
Battle Backgrounds
Attack Sprites(For Battle)

Dafont

Pokemon Font

Tutorials

By GG

Rain

Contributers:
Kirbster40
Galactic Grunt

Last edited by Galactic Spriter; 09-02-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda
Default Re: A Guide To Comic Making

This is a pretty good tut, I feel you should add like a ton of stuff, you know, tell people they have many options with a comic. I guess you should go through a lot of the comics and see all the ideas in there and ask the idea-maker how they did it, and put it in here, with credit of course, but anyways I think after you do all that this should be stickied xD

BTW, do you have like have a pic of all the characters [You know alphabet and stuff] In like Pokemon game style, I think you should post that

coughnotjustcauseineeditcough

Last edited by Soda; 07-09-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Galactic Spriter Offline

Alphabet? I guess i'll post some resources
Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Soda Send a message via MSN to Soda Send a message via Yahoo to Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic Grunt View Post
Alphabet? I guess i'll post some resources

That's what I meant =)
Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Galactic Spriter Offline

Thats good, but theres a font on dafont you know?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Quote:
Thats good, but theres a font on dafont you know?
No xD, what's it called?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Galactic Spriter Offline

Pokemon R/S Its in the links section
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Kirby Grunt Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kirby Grunt Send a message via MSN to Kirby Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Kirby Grunt

You should also tell everyone to stick with there comic, if they're not or they're not sure they're ready yet, then don't make one. And also, is there a certain location where I should stick the font in?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 PM
pokemole Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbster40 View Post
You should also tell everyone to stick with there comic, if they're not or they're not sure they're ready yet, then don't make one. And also, is there a certain location where I should stick the font in?
If you mean where to put the text there are many different ways. I will post my way and others with examples tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Kirby Grunt Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kirby Grunt Send a message via MSN to Kirby Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Kirby Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemole View Post
If you mean where to put the text there are many different ways. I will post my way and others with examples tomorrow.
No, I mean in C:/ not in the actual comic
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Soda Offline
Banned

Hey can someone tell me where to find the PMD attacks in the spriters recsource, I looked under PMD but all there is is Pokemon, hut, friend areas but no attacks =/
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Kirby Grunt Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sota View Post
Hey can someone tell me where to find the PMD attacks in the spriters recsource, I looked under PMD but all there is is Pokemon, hut, friend areas but no attacks =/
Make them yourself or go...
HERE for Customs
or HERE for Attacks. It doesn't hurt to lurk.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
SuperSmashBrawl Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to SuperSmashBrawl

Good Job on this GG. Hopefully people actually bother to read it before posting a comic. (Hate to have my future comic get bumped)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Galactic Spriter Offline

Thanks guys, I'll add the kirbster links up.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Kirby Grunt Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll add the kirbster links up.
Well, you added them, but you put the link wrong, you put it as
http://[url=http//www.spriters-resource.com/nintendo/pokemon/customs/display.php?file=attacks0.png]HERE%20for%20Attacks[/url]