Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Default Re: Obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
I also lost all my weight, I admit it wasn't and isn't the most healthiest way to, but it was effective. I stopped eating for the most part. When I did eat I got in the ocean and just swam it off. I wasn't manorexic or behemic xD I didn't throw up or get Super skinny! x3
I have a good body now, though!
It's spelled bulimic, not behemic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffreys-Darkness View Post
Oh my God.

QFT. It's their fault if they want to be obese. My mom told me how long ago, for both McDonald's and Burger King, one of the things they sold best were fries. Families used to go in for just the fries! They were that good. Then they changed the formula, after figuring out it was too fattening. And they'll never go back. And I wanted to try them, because the kind they have now stink.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
Well, I hate to break it to you but they don't force you to eat there. Yes, I realize their advertise almost everywhere, but people could still avoid them.

Well, for my opinion on this topic, I'd like to first say: The bad metabolism thing isn't that good of a scapegoat. Sure, it might be true, but still, if you really wanted to lose the fat, then you'd really be working off the fat, or at least try to, right?

Also, I dislike it how obese people get discriminated against. Lately, I've heard of people getting told to buy 2 airplane tickets instead of one for their weight. Also, once I was watching the Tyra show on this topic(Don't ask; it was either that or the news.), and Tyra disguised herself as an obese woman, and she was shopping at a store which had generally "thin" people clothing, and she was getting stares. I personally think employees shouldn't be interfering with their clients/customers like that.

And for childhood obesity, hopefully, we'll have more games like Wii Fit, or exercising becomes way more appealing.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:47 AM
Cheesy Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Eevee View Post
It's spelled bulimic, not behemic.

Well, I hate to break it to you but they don't force you to eat there. Yes, I realize their advertise almost everywhere, but people could still avoid them.

Well, for my opinion on this topic, I'd like to first say: The bad metabolism thing isn't that good of a scapegoat. Sure, it might be true, but still, if you really wanted to lose the fat, then you'd really be working off the fat, or at least try to, right?

Also, I dislike it how obese people get discriminated against. Lately, I've heard of people getting told to buy 2 airplane tickets instead of one for their weight. Also, once I was watching the Tyra show on this topic(Don't ask; it was either that or the news.), and Tyra disguised herself as an obese woman, and she was shopping at a store which had generally "thin" people clothing, and she was getting stares. I personally think employees shouldn't be interfering with their clients/customers like that.

And for childhood obesity, hopefully, we'll have more games like Wii Fit, or exercising becomes way more appealing.
Well I spelled it bihemic and manorexic for a reason!

I heard Wii Fit called this anorexic girl fat and it really scarred her!

I heard that some airports have scales [that are public] and they charge for extra tickets for people over a certain weight.

I know that's not a good excuse, that's why I said it wasn't
Old 07-19-2008, 03:07 AM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon

I don't mind if a person wants to be plump, heavyset, or fat (hell, during my teen years, I was about sixty-seventy pounds overweight)-- but the morbidly obese get bothersome, if only for the fact I know they're bound to have some ridiculous medical problems and that it probably could have been prevented if somebody had slapped the damn sammich out of their hand and just said "NO!". Granted, I understand with some it's actually not entirely their own fault; but most of the time it is.

The only thing that REALLY bothers me about some obese people I know is they say, "I just can't loose weight! It's too hard!" That is a bs lie most of the time and they're just too damn lazy to get their asses on a treadmill and work it off. I understand at first it's hard at first-- God knows I loathed exercising when I started to lose weight --but it gets easier with time and the payoff is definitely worth it, if just for the fact an entirely new world of clothing opportunities open up, as there are no really nice clothes for the obese (less likely chance of heart attack is also a pretty good payoff).

On the matter of fast food making people fat, that's not entirely it-- we've all just become so damn lazy we hardly take the time to exercise. Typically, what does the average person do after eating? They sit down on the couch and watch television, or play games, or get on the computer-- almost never does a person wait a few minutes and get on an exercise machine, or go for a few mile run, or SOME sort of activity to try and work the carbs off. I'm aware not everyone can do that all the time, but when you can't even do it PART of the time because you'd sooner be doing "better" things, something is damn well wrong with you.

The final thing that bothers me is how some people who are of reasonable weight are starting to find themselves "overweight" because of the ungodly standard of health and look Hollywood has set upon us. One of my co-workers weighs 190lbs, and he only stands at 6'1"-- what does he think he should do? He thinks he needs to lose twenty god damn pounds, and he ISN'T EVEN REMOTELY OVERWEIGHT!

datz mah 2 cenc.

Last edited by Sloddikus; 07-20-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Shadow Eevee Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Well I spelled it bihemic and manorexic for a reason!

I heard Wii Fit called this anorexic girl fat and it really scarred her!

I heard that some airports have scales [that are public] and they charge for extra tickets for people over a certain weight.

I know that's not a good excuse, that's why I said it wasn't
^^;;, sorry about that.

I agree with RD that most people are too lazy to lose the weight, but in my opinion, the 'cause' can help: Fast food places can have smaller portions, and instead of offering healthier sides, what about healthier drinks too? A soda every now and then won't make you completely overweight, but I'm afraid getting rid of the sodas and putting in lemonade, water, and ice tea and other drinks might be a better solution. But one key site to this is moderation- a Big Mac every now and then won't make us too overweight, but solely relying on fast food (Supersize me anyone?) can lead to a very bad future.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Two words, ladies and gentlemen. Two words.

Corn Syrup.

That crap is in virtually everything there is to eat and drink, and for pointless reasons as well. And yeah, hate to say it, but food companies stuff it in there all the time to make things taste sweeter and delicious. That way, everyone gets fat, wants to eat more, and therefore they buy more food and companies get richer.

Unfortunately, most Americans are too busy with jobs and responsibilities to take notice of these things. We don't have the time to cook our own meals anymore, so people run off and get something quick at Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, Burger King for lunch, and so on. And time for exercising doesn't exist anymore either.

As for myself, I avoid fattening foods like a PLAGUE. I'm 6'4" and at 165 pounds, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Cheesy Offline
Amateur Trainer

@ RD, a lot of people do that, they just eat than sit down and rest, and when they do exercise, they do it in a period of time when they don't eat, if you're going to exercise, do it after you eat! It's the best time to burn off fat and stuff!

People also you the 'I eat cause I'm sad and depressed' get therapy! Also don't let a chicken mgnugget be your therapist, it might be embarassing, go online and get some tips, you're sad because you eat xD!

@ Neo, that stuff is in everything xD Almost everything I eat I check the nutrition facts, and usually a type of corn syrup is in it!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Quote:
@ RD, a lot of people do that, they just eat than sit down and rest, and when they do exercise, they do it in a period of time when they don't eat, if you're going to exercise, do it after you eat! It's the best time to burn off fat and stuff!

People also you the 'I eat cause I'm sad and depressed' get therapy! Also don't let a chicken mgnugget be your therapist, it might be embarassing, go online and get some tips, you're sad because you eat xD!

@ Neo, that stuff is in everything xD Almost everything I eat I check the nutrition facts, and usually a type of corn syrup is in it!

That's a good point, running AFTER you eat, I'm trying to make a habit of doing about 30mins of walking, or jogging a day, I do it on weekdays, for about 20mins, just a couple of blocks to walk to my brother's school... And I'm aiming to go for some kind of walk around the block a couple of times on the weekend, walk the dog, etc.

Any tips? This could also be a Tips for Exercise thread maybe?

A good way to get people off meat would to just take them to an abattoir, everyone I know who has gone to one of those or seen a "How Sausages Are Made" documentary is a vegan.

But then again, you can eat as healthily as you like, you need exercise to actually keep fit.

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
That's a good point, running AFTER you eat, I'm trying to make a habit of doing about 30mins of walking, or jogging a day, I do it on weekdays, for about 20mins, just a couple of blocks to walk to my brother's school... And I'm aiming to go for some kind of walk around the block a couple of times on the weekend, walk the dog, etc.

Any tips? This could also be a Tips for Exercise thread maybe?

A good way to get people off meat would to just take them to an abattoir, everyone I know who has gone to one of those or seen a "How Sausages Are Made" documentary is a vegan.

But then again, you can eat as healthily as you like, you need exercise to actually keep fit.
Agreed.

Running is a pretty bad exercise for overweight people though. Walking the same distance burns about the same calories and puts less stress on your feet and is also less tortuous on the person. Fat people tend to be pretty lazy in the first place (I'm lazy :p) and thus want to avoid as much pain as possible. I'd rather trade time for pain. :3

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Loveydovey Offline

Send a message via MSN to Loveydovey

Oi, I just want to express a point that's really crucial for me.

When some really skinny idiots accuse obese people of eating too much, they don't realize that they eat the same amount. Only difference is their metabolism. Let's face it, there's always the friend of yours that eats like a pig and never gains a pound, well, if he didn't have that metabolism, he'd be severely obese.

I get sick every time people do that. :S I don't know if I explained myself. xD
Old 07-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Agreed.

Running is a pretty bad exercise for overweight people though. Walking the same distance burns about the same calories and puts less stress on your feet and is also less tortuous on the person. Fat people tend to be pretty lazy in the first place (I'm lazy :p) and thus want to avoid as much pain as possible. I'd rather trade time for pain. :3

Yeah, apparently jogging isn't all that good either, in the long term effects, jolting of the bone structure and all... I dunno, just heard it somewhere.

Long walks are great.

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post

When some really skinny idiots accuse obese people of eating too much, they don't realize that they eat the same amount. Only difference is their metabolism. Let's face it, there's always the friend of yours that eats like a pig and never gains a pound, well, if he didn't have that metabolism, he'd be severely obese.

That, and they probably jump around a lot more than you do. :S

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 AM
EmBreon Offline
Killjoy

Send a message via AIM to EmBreon Send a message via MSN to EmBreon

Well, there's really no legitimate excuse. Sure, slow metabolisms, chemo, hypothyroidism, the list goes on...all can add on weight and make you pleasantly plump, or perhaps slightly overweight. But, obesity is simply the lack of taking care of yourself. And it's really sad to see the situation only getting worse.

People get torn two ways: our society helps them do nothing and gain weight, but tells them it's 'beautiful' to be ridiculously thin. And honestly, it's a pretty depressing world to live in.

Mixed messages?

Anyways, healthy ways to take off a few pounds:
- Stop drinking pop
- Cut down on fast food
- Walk as much as you can
- EAT. Having no food forces your body into starvation mode, which slows down your metabolism and guarantees that the next thing you ingest will be stored as fat cells. Several small meals a day is much better than one large meal or nothing at all. It boosts your metabolism and increases your energy levels. It also curbs your hunger so you don't binge on junk.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Cheesy Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveydovey View Post

That is true sometimes but a lot of the time it isn't, people control what they do, and they choose to eat, what kind of food is the main decision =/ I mean if you like chocolate milk as much as I do, and I do, I will go to town on a glass! Then there are other healthier things, Yoohoos xD, they are healthier, but I just drink milk now.

@Embreon, xD, I so hoped that was photo shopped, but I came to terms that it wasn't, lol, I mean come on, they could at least put it somewhere far off, and that part about food stamps is bad too. They're trying to get you to spend them at Mcdonalds? wtf?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:52 AM
celebihunter Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to celebihunter Send a message via MSN to celebihunter

Yeah, I'm a little overweight, but not by much.

....My friend on the other hand.

He's 12 years old, 280 pounds, 6'0 tall.

I worry about him a lot :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Single smilely posts make Chuck Norris cry.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffreys-Darkness View Post
Oh my God.

QFT. It's their fault if they want to be obese. My mom told me how long ago, for both McDonald's and Burger King, one of the things they sold best were fries. Families used to go in for just the fries! They were that good. Then they changed the formula, after figuring out it was too fattening. And they'll never go back. And I wanted to try them, because the kind they have now stink.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
Dude, you've got some serious issues o_O. No one want to be be "obese", it just happens. Most people don't look at the back fo the box of food they are about to eat and say "Oh, this has 9000 calories [sp?], I shouldn't eat it,". They just stuff there faces. Have you also ever thought that some people don't have time to exercise. They have families and jobs most of the times =/.

I have a high matabalisim [sp?], but I am a bit chubby, with my man boobs that touch the floor =).