Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
linsper23 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Default What do you think of this idea for Pokemon live action movie?

I've posted this on the Serebii forum and I thought I'd get my take on this board as well. Sorry it's long...

"I'm actually an aspiring film director/screenwriter but mostly director. I'm heading out to film school next year. I always wanted to make a Pokemon live action movie IF I become successful first(mighty hard to do!). This is what I would do...

-Have the movie rated PG-13. This movie's audience is kids, parents and people who used to watch it. Also, it needs to reach people who have never watched Pokemon before to gain wider attendance to assure a box office hit. It's almost guaranteed a success an audience anyway by having Pokemon in it. The rating is for jokes older people will get similar to how Shrek works and for the action.
-Have no anime characters in it. If they were in it, it would be much harder to make a movie. Seeing someone receive badges is not movie worthy. It would be the same adventure where the character tries to be a master. It gets boring after awhile. Plus, the characters would look terrible with Jame's purple hair and then Jessie's weird hairdo. Overall, you need something that will be memorable which leads to me to my next point...
-I would have a scenario where the Pokemon invade the Earth. Say "Day After Tomorrow" meets "Cloverfield" without the shaking camera(only on action scenes). It would be mature but not so mature where it would frighten kids. This is my rough draft plot...someone can give me advice...

Around the Earth, people notice sudden changes in Earth's climate. The south starts to get snow and the north is hit with abnormal amounts of wind. The first scene begins where a family watches in NYC(movie will take place) the news about the weird weather. It hasn't affected NYC....yet. Next scene, the 18-yr-old son is at high school football practice(day time, on sidelines) with his friends on the bench, one boy and one girl his age. He suddenly notices a black tunnel far away similar to a blackish tornado touching the ground. He stares with his coach yelling at him, "what are you doin'?!" He points in awe as the whole team and the coach start to look. The tunnel ends quickly and vanishes. Coach says "get back on there". The boy goes on the field. Next scene, he comes home and his family tells him about the weird weather and he says about the black tunnel. They are all confused. He goes to sleep, wakes up in the middle of the night to find a big egg on his nightshelf. He looks out to his balcony through the shades to find a mysterious looking creature. The creature leaves. It was Lugia but the character doesn't know because it was too dark to see the rest of his face outside(night time). He goes back to sleep. Wakes up to find the egg cracked. He feels a poke behind him. He turns around and sees Charmander. He later finds out his 2 friends have a Bulbasaur(girl) and Squirtle(boy).

This is where I go blank in my story...uh yeah...I know that Mewtwo will be controlling Pokemon from another planet to invade Earth since he wants revenge on the scientists who locked him up for years. He was created by scientists, disappeared with no one knowing where he went...turns out he went to that Pokemon planet and wreaked chaos. Lugia gives people eggs of Pokemon in order to help save Earth and to battle the controlled Pokemon and Mewtwo. Dialga is stopping time at other places like the Sahara Desert while Palkia is distorting space making satellites clash. Mew and Celebi are the good guys with Lugia and the hatched Pokemon with their new trainers. All in all, people have to defend the Earth from getting destroyed. Movie takes place in NYC. Lugia and Mewtwo would be able to talk English.

Tell me what you think!"
Old 07-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: What do you think of this idea for Pokemon live action movie?

For one thing, this is a KID'S show, for KIDS, and I know lots of people who wouldn't let their kids see a PG-13 movie (my parents included T-T) even if WAS a pokemon movie.
Plus, Lugia wouldn't drop off eggs like that. Arceus would, or something like that. He's the "Creator" right?

If anything, these three friends should get the starters from different regions, like chramander, mudkip, and turtwig.

Another thing, what happened to this world? Mewtwo is getting revenge on the REAL world for something that happened in an anime one? There has to be a history, like the pokemon died off or something...

I know your hearts in the right place, but pokemon isn't like that.
Good luck...

0_o~All your shoelaces belong to me~o_0

\-†††-/It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.\-†††-/

Old 07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
linsper23 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master View Post
For one thing, this is a KID'S show, for KIDS, and I know lots of people who wouldn't let their kids see a PG-13 movie (my parents included T-T) even if WAS a pokemon movie.
Plus, Lugia wouldn't drop off eggs like that. Arceus would, or something like that. He's the "Creator" right?

If anything, these three friends should get the starters from different regions, like chramander, mudkip, and turtwig.

Another thing, what happened to this world? Mewtwo is getting revenge on the REAL world for something that happened in an anime one? There has to be a history, like the pokemon died off or something...

I know your hearts in the right place, but pokemon isn't like that.
Good luck...

0_o~All your shoelaces belong to me~o_0
I forgot to mention this in my last post...Lugia would be getting the eggs from an undiscovered planet where all the Pokemon live. I could have Arceus as the one who created all the Pokemon.

And yeah, different regions sounds cool. I'll keep that in mind.

I think you're confused about the Mewtwo thing. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I would show in the movie somewhere Mewtwo being created by scientists from 50-something years ago and then Mewtwo escaping after 10 years stuck in a tube thing....NOT the anime one. Just something similar to the scene showed in Pokemon 2000 movie in real life. It would give the movie some backstory and reason for coming to Earth.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Pokemon died off idea...just gotta think how I would fit that in and then making it kids-friendly. Hmm.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

I don't know...they thought of a live action Sailor Moon movie with Glenn Close as Beryl...but that never made it. Not sure if Pokemon would make it. I know they had one or two Ben 10 Live Action movies that CN has shown...but not too keen. It's hard to make animation into a good live action movie. I still think live action Speed Racer was a great movie...but not a lot of people thought it was good. Plus I think the Pokemon in a live action would be similar to the spoof on Scooby Doo's drawing in those live action flops...might not work.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
celebihunter Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to celebihunter Send a message via MSN to celebihunter
Talking Re: What do you think of this idea for Pokemon live action movie?

You do realize the amount of special effects needed to take on this challenge?

Crappy Special Effects = A Mouse with it's fur dyed yellow.

Awesome yet Expensive Special Effects = Pikachu

I just really can't see this happening.... Although, Transformers made it, but Pokemon is probably more unrealistic than Transformers. And, you'd have to bring this up to Satoshi Tajiri, unless you want to be sued. This could cost you some serious money if it tanks. And I doubt Mr. Tajiri would like that to happen.

Although, your description of the movie did put images in my head, and I think it could work. Possibly. You'll need to give it your best shot.

Oh, and, could you mention Pe2k in the credits? :P

If... You pull this off. If you can, I shall admire you.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Single smilely posts make Chuck Norris cry.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Kendo Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Kendo

Hmm...it sounds really interesting, but I think it should be more of a PG-ish movie. Maybe there should be a slight twist with who gets the pokemon; main character gets Charmander, friend gets another pokemon, maybe an enemy at school gets one, and they have to team up? I dunno. But you would need A LOT of special effects. Sounds awesome, though.
IT'S NOT VALENTINE'S DAY.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
linsper23 Offline
Amateur Trainer

As for the CGI, I would probably wait awhile until they perfect or almost perfect it to being life-like. Right now, I don't think it would work but maybe in the future...I'm saying making the movie 10-20 years from now...

And yeah, CGI does cost a lot. Maybe can use puppets for closeups and animatronics like Jurassic Park(dinosaurs) and Spiderman 3(Dr. Ock) did...I don't know if that's cheaper though.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Dark Lightning Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Lightning

Do you realize, as others have stated, how much money you'd need for this? The special effects would cost thousands of dollars. A movie like Cloverfield managed to put a 350-foot beast in, but there were experts included. I don't think experts will want to put in a Lugia in a live-Pokemon action movie.
This will probably never happen. If this was made, for reasons I can't even begin to imagine, it would completely ruin Pokemon's reputation, probably. It's a bad idea. Transformers is more realistic than Pokemon. You couldn't see the Cloverfield monster move much (Cloverfield is an actual movie, not based on a TV-show or anything), and it'll be very difficult putting Lugia into a movie and then making him move a lot.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 AM
scalec Offline

HOLD IT!
I'm sure that linsper23 has already realized how much this could cost, and I bet he/she doesn't want to hear that it couldn't happen. But nothing's impossible, and people achive by doing. Instead of giving him why he can't, help him figure out how he can.

I, for one, am fully backing up this idea. It would be so cool! Everyone who loves Pokemon has always imagined at least once what Pokemon would look like in the real world.
Its expensive, yes, but don't movies get a sum of cash from the producer to help make it? Do you really think The Lord of the rings was made from the money from the directors pocket?
If something as weird as Transformers can make it on the big screen, so can Pokemon.
And how would it be difficult to make the Pokemon move? Animationcan do amazing stuff.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
linsper23 Offline
Amateur Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalec View Post
HOLD IT!
I'm sure that linsper23 has already realized how much this could cost, and I bet he/she doesn't want to hear that it couldn't happen. But nothing's impossible, and people achive by doing. Instead of giving him why he can't, help him figure out how he can.

I, for one, am fully backing up this idea. It would be so cool! Everyone who loves Pokemon has always imagined at least once what Pokemon would look like in the real world.
Its expensive, yes, but don't movies get a sum of cash from the producer to help make it? Do you really think The Lord of the rings was made from the money from the directors pocket?
If something as weird as Transformers can make it on the big screen, so can Pokemon.
And how would it be difficult to make the Pokemon move? Animationcan do amazing stuff.
Yes, the producer takes care of all the financing and budget. He gets the right amount to use for the film. If the crew is low on money, the director might give some of his salary into the movie. They have definitely done it in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Thunder View Post
Do you realize, as others have stated, how much money you'd need for this? The special effects would cost thousands of dollars. A movie like Cloverfield managed to put a 350-foot beast in, but there were experts included. I don't think experts will want to put in a Lugia in a live-Pokemon action movie.
This will probably never happen. If this was made, for reasons I can't even begin to imagine, it would completely ruin Pokemon's reputation, probably. It's a bad idea. Transformers is more realistic than Pokemon. You couldn't see the Cloverfield monster move much (Cloverfield is an actual movie, not based on a TV-show or anything), and it'll be very difficult putting Lugia into a movie and then making him move a lot.
And to Dark Thunder, it wouldn't exactly be like Cloverfield....just beasts attacking NYC is the similarity between the two. It would be expensive, yes...but wouldn't animatronics and puppets along with CGI be cheaper than just CGI? I think in different terms than you..instead of destroying the rep of Pokemon, I think it would help it by showing that it can still attract teenagers not making it look so childish and yet keep its core audience. But if you still feel it's a bad idea, that's fine with me.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:49 AM
delsin2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsper23 View Post
Yes, the producer takes care of all the financing and budget. He gets the right amount to use for the film. If the crew is low on money, the director might give some of his salary into the movie. They have definitely done it in the past.

And to Dark Thunder, it wouldn't exactly be like Cloverfield....just beasts attacking NYC is the similarity between the two. It would be expensive, yes...but wouldn't animatronics and puppets along with CGI be cheaper than just CGI? I think in different terms than you..instead of destroying the rep of Pokemon, I think it would help it by showing that it can still attract teenagers not making it look so childish and yet keep its core audience. But if you still feel it's a bad idea, that's fine with me.
Sounds really cool, i would love to watch that.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Wandering Mew Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Oh god no. The CGI would be horrible. D: I can already remember the horrible CGI from the live action Ben 10 movie.

~Paired with the ever awesome Blaziken Knight!~
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

It would be completely horrible.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
inyi Offline

Thumbs down Re: What do you think of this idea for Pokemon live action movie?

Pokemon Live action to release and produce in japan has 80-90% possiblity since pokemon there is still on top.. while in USA, duh... 50% posibility since many american thought Pokemon is Gay!

Huh.. I hate when they refer Pokemon as Gay! LOL
Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Moonlit Umbreon Offline
Master Trainer

It more than likely would not work out... considering what people said about recieving the creator's permission. And, it wouldn't be that great. Actually, I think it would be hilarious, but that's another story.