Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:36 PM
bjgamecreations Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to bjgamecreations
Default Re: Those dang Discriminating Barbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
I agree that the image Barbie portrays a negative images for teens...but discriminating? How so and against who?
They're discriminating against teen girls. Barbies are saying that teens should look perfect and have perfect boyfriends like Ken to get far in life.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco
Default Re: Those dang Discriminating Barbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgamecreations
They're discriminating against teen girls. Barbies are saying that teens should look perfect and have perfect boyfriends like Ken to get far in life.
Well that's what people think.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Samus Aran Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Samus Aran Send a message via Yahoo to Samus Aran Send a message via Skype™ to Samus Aran

I know...
But I think that they just need to get it strait. Like my grandma says:
"Beauty is only skin deep!"

Old 03-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgamecreations
IMO, not really...such images aren't really discrimination. You say that they say that girls should look perfect, yet they don't say it. It's just a common perception / inference. I'm not saying I don't agree with you as to the message, but it's not discrimination, since the message isn't expressed.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Actually, it's more of a stereotype of teenagers than discrimination. They are saying basically that the "norm" are those types of teens. Obviously this "type" tends to exist everywhere (as all teens do), but are generally the most noticeable of the types. Thus teens are "stereotyped" to be that type and became the basis for the "My Scene" dolls.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002
Actually, it's more of a stereotype of teenagers than discrimination. They are saying basically that the "norm" are those types of teens. Obviously this "type" tends to exist everywhere (as all teens do), but are generally the most noticeable of the types. Thus teens are "stereotyped" to be that type and became the basis for the "My Scene" dolls.
Not to mention that the portrayal of such teens in the media perpetuates that certain doctrine of style, thought, and action...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Barbies have one purpose: To be entertainment for LITTLE GIRLS. Why would a fourteen year old want to play with a doll? Barbies are too old too. Did you know that they are thirty-five years old?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

This post contains mature content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Luddico
Barbies have one purpose: To be entertainment for LITTLE GIRLS. Why would a fourteen year old want to play with a doll? Barbies are too old too. Did you know that they are thirty-five years old?
So you're saying you want your daughter to follow in the footsteps of the negative images protrayed with these Barbie dolls? And that without proper influence that these dolls make shape their preteen and teen stages, thus ruining their life?

Entertainment has its limits. If you're teaching a little girl about going out to dates and possibly even having sex with them, wearing make-up at an early age, etc., would you have crossed the border? Barbies are telling the girls these negative images here. I'm saying that it's no coincidence that grade 6 girls are giving the boys blowjobs as goodbye kisses (and claim they are complete virgins).