Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Frostbitten Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Frostbitten Send a message via MSN to Frostbitten
Default Long Distance/Never Meet the Person, Relationships

.I was inspired to make this from my friend 3 years ago who was "dating" a girl in Cali over the internet.
So what do you think about how people go on chartrooms and what not and try to find a GF/BF and have serious relationship.
Do you think this is Good? Bad?
Post. xD

I personally think it is stupid to try and date someone you have never met before, physically that is. xD
I mean going on a chat room and finding a soul mate and dating them when you have no plans of ever meeting them?
I think that is a pretty stupid idea.

|Coron Graphix Warehouse|FrostxiSugar|

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce
Default Re: Long Distance/Never Meet the Person, Relationships

What do you mean?

Me and Kat are destined to be married. lol jk.

I think that it's really up to the person. If they are having trouble finding someone that they can form a relationship with that lives in their area, then they have the right to so online and interact that way.

There are PLENTY of people whose best friends / "soul mates" they met over the Internet. It's really not that uncommon these days. I just believe that if the person wants it, heck, who can deny them it? If it makes them feel happy, then they should continue doing it.

=]

BRYCExKAT
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Demon_Shiron Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Shiron

Yea, I've always thought that stuff was kinda stupid.

I Am Everything You Ever Were Afraid Of

My Friend Code: 2922-3457-5225
Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

If they want to do it, I don't really care. I think there are better ways to meet someone you love, but whatever.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Stormdancer94 Send a message via MSN to Stormdancer94

Three words; "DOES NOT WORK."

Internet relationships are rubbish and completely stupid, for all you know, the guy on the other end is a 50 yr old pedophile who is posing as a 17 year old from God knows where.

It isn't a 'relationship' if you haven't even seen the other guy face to face, it's called a FARCE. Time zones complicate things and you don't know the other person.

Unless you honestly think it would work and you're willing to buy a plane ticket to go and see the other, honestly, it's rubbish.

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormdancer94 View Post
Three words; "DOES NOT WORK."

Internet relationships are rubbish and completely stupid, for all you know, the guy on the other end is a 50 yr old pedophile who is posing as a 17 year old from God knows where.

It isn't a 'relationship' if you haven't even seen the other guy face to face, it's called a FARCE. Time zones complicate things and you don't know the other person.

Unless you honestly think it would work and you're willing to buy a plane ticket to go and see the other, honestly, it's rubbish.
Wow. You are the complete embodiment of all the exaggerated accounts of relationships over the Internet. The only thing you hear is that pedophiles go raging about, trying to ensnare children.

#1- Nobody is saying that it is an underage child trying to find a person to fall in love with. There are full-grown adults that do this on a daily basis. Are they in danger of being molested by a 50 year old man when they themselves are often that old?

#2- A relationship is defined as a specific connection between objects, entities, concepts or people. Under no circumstances do the two people have to see each other face to face in order to get to know each other. Talking is the primary way that human beings get to know one another, and that can be done through IM-ing, myspace, whatever. Just because they are not staring the person in the eyes does not mean that they do not get to know said individual.

Yeah, they certainly can work. :P

BRYCExKAT
Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 AM
RPGBoss Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to RPGBoss Send a message via MSN to RPGBoss Send a message via Yahoo to RPGBoss Send a message via Skype™ to RPGBoss

I will you straight up the internet nowadays is a like a Diamond for finding relationships...a lot of ppl just dont have time to go out and try to find dates and stuff....

In my personal experience I have met some great ppl over the internet...now that Im going back to the states...Im actually gonna meet those...and last time I was in the states I met up with a cpl...we're still friends and we're still connected online....

If your a shy person.,...Online is the best way to go at it,.NOt saying i am but i just lke to set it up online and smooth them out first and then when physicall interaction happens its a lot easier than trying to start a chat w/ a complete hottie stranger...

Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceBoy10 View Post
Wow. You are the complete embodiment of all the exaggerated accounts of relationships over the Internet. The only thing you hear is that pedophiles go raging about, trying to ensnare children.

#1- Nobody is saying that it is an underage child trying to find a person to fall in love with. There are full-grown adults that do this on a daily basis. Are they in danger of being molested by a 50 year old man when they themselves are often that old?

#2- A relationship is defined as a specific connection between objects, entities, concepts or people. Under no circumstances do the two people have to see each other face to face in order to get to know each other. Talking is the primary way that human beings get to know one another, and that can be done through IM-ing, myspace, whatever. Just because they are not staring the person in the eyes does not mean that they do not get to know said individual.

Yeah, they certainly can work. :P

Sorry, but yeah, if it's random people playing games, eg. Maplestory, and they meet this person and 'fall in love' then it's exactly what I'm saying.

We're talking Love type relationships, not friends, etc.

Even with those dating sites, you meet the person later on, I'm kinda focusing on those 'in game' 'love' relationships that never work and so forth, true, sometimes they do, but only if you meet face to face, I've never met a person who is in a comfortable loving relationship with a random internet person, whom she/he has never seen person to person. Humans just don't work that way.

EDIT: Sorry, a relationship with neither party seeing themselves, that LASTED.

The Brood is growing!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM
zuddy Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to zuddy Send a message via MSN to zuddy

Well, yeah, a relationship won't last if it's conducted entirely through IM, email, or MMORPG. However, people can meet through these mediums, get to know each other, and feelings can develop. Regardless of whether or not they've met at that point, feelings are genuine.

So, my view is that the internet can be very useful for starting (dating sites, meeting on a forum, whatever) or supplementing (talking through IM or Skype while away at uni, etc) a relationship. With a committed couple, they may even be able to go months at a time without seeing each other - but without the tête à tête offline contact, it can't really go anywhere. However, I don't think anybody who conducts a strictly online relationship actually expects it to blossom without being able to meet physically.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Personally, I think if you never intend to meet the person, then it's stupid. But, if you're really trying to form a relationship and you're like me, i.e. incapable of meeting someone irl, then it's perfect. You meet the person, really get to know them without having to actually meet them face to face where it's very easy to screw it up, and then once you do know them, then you can meet them in person and it'll be a lot easier than if you were just meeting them for the first time.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Stormdancer94 Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
Personally, I think if you never intend to meet the person, then it's stupid. But, if you're really trying to form a relationship and you're like me, i.e. incapable of meeting someone irl, then it's perfect. You meet the person, really get to know them without having to actually meet them face to face where it's very easy to screw it up, and then once you do know them, then you can meet them in person and it'll be a lot easier than if you were just meeting them for the first time.

But if you're honestly looking for a loving relationship, probably not the best idea, but if you're just in for the flirting around experience thing with no consequences, best thing around I guess. As long as no-one gets hurt.

The Brood is growing!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:07 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think it only natural for people to do that, hence the fact that some can't actually get a girlfriend/boyfriend in offline life.

I mean, it isn't stupid, just a different experience. I expect one day for there to be online marriages, where two people never have to meet offline, yet are intertwined in an official way. That, on the other hand, IS stupid, in my opinion.

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]
Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 AM
spartan117 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to spartan117

Ive had one online relationship but it OBVIOUSLY didnt work out. I think online relationships are kinda pointless unless you can actually meet the person. Otherwise all you can do is talk...and well thats it.
My URPG Stats
MyBio

If you want a free http://www.lockerz.com/ please PM me with your email.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Pokol DaErran Offline

I've got plenty of people I would consider my friends I would talk to over the Internet, and I don't see why you couldn't keep up a relationship over the Internet. The only benefit of face-to-face discussion is getting a chance to make kids... which most people seem to think is the only worthy aspect of relationship, and I thourougly disapprove of. Babies are notorious tail-pullers...*rubs aching tail*

Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokol DaErran View Post
I've got plenty of people I would consider my friends I would talk to over the Internet, and I don't see why you couldn't keep up a relationship over the Internet. The only benefit of face-to-face discussion is getting a chance to make kids... which most people seem to think is the only worthy aspect of relationship, and I thourougly disapprove of. Babies are notorious tail-pullers...*rubs aching tail*
Also, in real life, you get physical attraction. Plus, it is quite hard to sound romantic over the internet...

Also, the thing a lot of adults like to do can't be done over the internet...