Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Master Debation Offline
Banned

Default The End Of The World And The Bible Code

Keep in mind I am an atheist. I do not believe in what the Bible says. I just do not like dumb people. Feel free to debate any of this, of course, because that's what a debate is for. If you think that I am right, feel free to use it whenever you see someone claiming the Bible said the world will end.

Alright, I haven't seen it on here too much yet, but on other forums I'm seeing this topic more and more. People thinking that because of hidden messages in the Bible(The Bible Code) and how it basically tells us the end of days is near, because the Bible Code gives us hints to events that will foreshadow it.

However, the people who believe this stuff are only fooling themselves. They apparently haven't even read the Bible to begin with, though they have to be Christian(of some sort) to believe the Bible Code. I'm going to use the Bible to disprove the Bible Code's prediction about the end of the world, or rather people's assumption about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code

There's some information on the Bible Code if you do not already know what it is. I'm sure you can see why it's flawed, but also why it's believed. The "codes" come straight from the Bible, but keep in mind you can do the same thing in many novels, and has been done in a scientific study with the novel Moby Dick. Moby Dick had a smaller number, but you need to remember that the Bible is also much longer, being composed of several books.

Now, there is really only one argument needed against the Bible Code, used straight from the Bible itself. Specifically, Thessalonians 5:2. In which, it states, "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night." Citation

What this means, basically, is that we will not know when the word will end, when the "rapture" will happen, when we will all be judged, I think you get the picture. It's not hard to understand.

Sadly, people who think the Bible code seem to neglect that it states within itself, that we won't know when it will end. They continue to search for new combinations within the Bible in an attempt to predict(and prevent) the end of the world or other tragic events(specifically terrorist attacks).

Furthermore, if the Bible Codes WERE real, what point would there be to try and prevent what's written in the Bible from happening? Wouldn't that be going against God's will? Seems like they're not being a good Christian either way you look at it.

All in all, my point is this: The Bible Code is stupid.

More sites that I'm posting really just for laughs, some for information if anyone is interested in looking up more. Naturally, you can always just search Google for these things, or Wikipedia.

http://www.satansrapture.com/index.htm
www.bible.com
http://www.nmsr.org/biblecod.htm
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Dragon_Master Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: The End Of The World And The Bible Code

Bible Code...?
I've never heard of that.
And I've been a Christian all my life.
I do know that verse: Thessalonians 5:2
But nothing else.

\-†††-/It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool,
then to open it, and remove all doubt.\-†††-/

Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Hoshika Offline

Reminds me of that 9/11 chain letter where putting a certain 3 numbers/letters in a certain font (Wingdings something) would look like a plane headed for two bars of whatever that looked like buildings.
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

There's a codes in Moby Dick too, apparently, so this is bunk. :D
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Hoshika Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
There's a codes in Moby Dick too, apparently, so this is bunk. :D
There's also the supposed "codes" in some of the old Beatles records. :o
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Debation View Post
All in all, my point is this: The Bible Code is stupid.
I agree with you, and I'll do you one more.

All of these 'End of the World' prophecies are stupid.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Pooka Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Pooka Send a message via MSN to Pooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
Reminds me of that 9/11 chain letter where putting a certain 3 numbers/letters in a certain font (Wingdings something) would look like a plane headed for two bars of whatever that looked like buildings.
I remember that, it was if you typed in Q33NY (the flight number) but it turns out it was just a hoax and that wasn't really the flight number after all. :P

And as for all this Bible Code stuff, it's just a bunch of people with too much time on their hands looking far too deep into things.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Bryce Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Bryce

Yeah, the Bible even says that no man knows the day of reckoning. :o

By the way, Master Debation, I really only posted here to tell you that the quote in your sig is EPIC win. :D

BRYCExKAT
Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceBoy10 View Post
Yeah, the Bible even says that no man knows the day of reckoning. :o

By the way, Master Debation, I really only posted here to tell you that the quote in your sig is EPIC win. :D
I have to agree with that. Master Debation, I hope you don't mind but I'm stealing that from you. Please tell me if you weren't the one to make that up so I can correct the qouted by.

As for this whole thing, I say let people waste their lives hunting for when an event that they can do nothing about. If they're really too stupid to A) Miss that line you quoted and B) actually believe that they can interpret from the words of a God, a being supposedly above humans altogether, then they aren't really going to contribute to society anyway. Cheers :-)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Azure Offline
Master Trainer

To be honest, wikipedia isn't a reliable source. And that verse you mentioned, it could be refering towards anything, the next messiah or something.

And remember, there are several variations of the Bible and it has changed drastically over the years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in this stuff. I'm just saying that there must have been something in the older versions of the Bible that caused people to believe it. That theory could have been carried through centuries.

Oh, and that signature is epic win. Can I use it in another forum if I give credit?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Master Debation Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke Poke View Post
To be honest, wikipedia isn't a reliable source. And that verse you mentioned, it could be refering towards anything, the next messiah or something.

And remember, there are several variations of the Bible and it has changed drastically over the years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in this stuff. I'm just saying that there must have been something in the older versions of the Bible that caused people to believe it. That theory could have been carried through centuries.

Oh, and that signature is epic win. Can I use it in another forum if I give credit?
For the record again, I am an atheist. I admit, I could be wrong about my religious choice(or lack there of), but I am an atheist for what I find to be good reason.

Actually, wikipedia IS rather reliable on most topics. People just enjoy throwing that around when they've got nothing better to say, try not to get into the habit. I did not get most of my information from wikipedia, rather from the actual Bible itself. I first learned about the Bible Code thanks to The History Channel, which first clued me in. I worked out the arguement on my own, however.

There are other sites, including many thinking they understand the Bible code and its meanings. That's who most of my post is pointed towards, as well hopefully killing any chance someone makes a topic about it believing it is real.

Just as well, naturally the Bible has changed, but why do they still find codes? Certain people, like the www.satansrapture.com guy used the English King James version of the Bible, while the Bible Code was actually "discovered" by Isrealie scientists using a computer program and the Old Testament in Hebrew.

As I recall, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Hebrew Bible says nothing about predicting a dooms day, and in fact, nothing about a dooms day at all. Adding to that, if the Bible Code does exist in the Old Testament, Jesus wasn't the messiah at all, and christianity is a giant hoax.

But, no one seems to think about these connections, rather that it just came from the Bible(not which) so it must be true. I mean there are circumstances that I could be wrong in my original post, however they all require certain circumstances(such as Jesus being a liar or never existing in the first place, making the entire New Testament a lie). Which would still make christians who believe in this stuff wrong.

The quote is not mine, so feel free to use it. I don't know who originally said it, but it wasn't me.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:32 AM
superdude44 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Debation View Post
For the record again, I am an atheist. I admit, I could be wrong about my religious choice(or lack there of), but I am an atheist for what I find to be good reason.

Actually, wikipedia IS rather reliable on most topics. People just enjoy throwing that around when they've got nothing better to say, try not to get into the habit. I did not get most of my information from wikipedia, rather from the actual Bible itself. I first learned about the Bible Code thanks to The History Channel, which first clued me in. I worked out the arguement on my own, however.

There are other sites, including many thinking they understand the Bible code and its meanings. That's who most of my post is pointed towards, as well hopefully killing any chance someone makes a topic about it believing it is real.

Just as well, naturally the Bible has changed, but why do they still find codes? Certain people, like the www.satansrapture.com guy used the English King James version of the Bible, while the Bible Code was actually "discovered" by Isrealie scientists using a computer program and the Old Testament in Hebrew.

As I recall, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Hebrew Bible says nothing about predicting a dooms day, and in fact, nothing about a dooms day at all. Adding to that, if the Bible Code does exist in the Old Testament, Jesus wasn't the messiah at all, and christianity is a giant hoax.

But, no one seems to think about these connections, rather that it just came from the Bible(not which) so it must be true. I mean there are circumstances that I could be wrong in my original post, however they all require certain circumstances(such as Jesus being a liar or never existing in the first place, making the entire New Testament a lie). Which would still make christians who believe in this stuff wrong.

The quote is not mine, so feel free to use it. I don't know who originally said it, but it wasn't me.
I am christan but I do agree NO ONE knows when the end will come only HE dose and I used HIM as to I dont know if your allowed to say freely your opion in this forum. but all in all I mean who is going to know.. point is no one knows just please stop bringing up a new thread. Master Debation you had the right idea to post this. it may help people to stop spamming the with threads.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy777777 View Post
I am christan but I do agree NO ONE knows when the end will come only HE dose and I used HIM as to I dont know if your allowed to say freely your opion in this forum. but all in all I mean who is going to know.. point is no one knows just please stop bringing up a new thread. Master Debation you had the right idea to post this. it may help people to stop spamming the with threads.
Feel free to give your opinion. God and religion are a major part of a lot of the debates we have here. And yeah, we all know it's total bull. I don't know why people think they can predict the Apocalypse. Seriously people, you already tried with 6-6-06 (I don't even know why you did that. Just because it's the devil's number or something doesn't mean the end of the world, obviously since we're all still here). Give it up (yes, I'm throwing out my opinion from earlier. Thinking back, best not to encourage people).
Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Yeah, the 'predict the end!' theories are not backed by any thorough proof. There are a series of indications of the End listed in Revelations, but... heh... they include 'an increase of natural disasters' and 'a jump in the population of nasty people' and can be applied to all of mankind's existence.

On the subject of 666, I heard that it was a misinterpretation of the texts and the real number is 646. I've no idea if it's true or not, heh, but felt it was worth mentioning.

~IGC t DM+

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.

Last edited by Scourge of Amaranth; 08-29-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaygc View Post
Yeah, the 'predict the end!' theories are not backed by any thorough proof. There are a series of indications of the Dnd listed in Revelations, but... heh... they include 'an increase of natural disasters' and 'a jump in the population of nasty people' and can be applied to all of mankind's existence.

On the subject of 666, I heard that it was a misinterpretation of the texts and the real number is 646. I've no idea if it's true or not, heh, but felt it was worth mentioning.

~IGC t DM+
I don't think it was 646, but I am positive it wasn't 666. =P

And I don't see really why people would want to know the date of when everything they know will be destroyed... I'm a bit curious but I wouldn't bother wasting time to find out. F=