Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 PM
FireflyK Offline
Five by Five

Send a message via AIM to FireflyK
Default Re: Russia is going to screw us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RO View Post
The concept of helping Georgia and helping Europe in WWII are two completely different things though. Plus, Japan attacked us, therefore it was only right to attack back. I mean, Russia really has no right invading Georgia, but how can you possibly compare that to what Hitler did? I believe that Russians aren't doing a mass genocide, taking over other countries, nor aiming for world domination. However, the move of taking over Georgia isn't exactly right either. It's not our battle though, it should be something other European countries should help, and then if Russia tried doing it for a second time, succeeded, and kept going on, we take action.
Technically, it's kind of comparable. Georgia was attacking non-Georgians, focusing on Russians. In other words, ethnic cleansing. Did they get as far/become as effective as hitler? No. But they were trying to. Russia was right to try to stop them.

Considering how few people the georgian government managed to kill, an invasion may seem like overkill... However, it's reasonable to retaliate a lot against genocidal actions to discourage the government from trying again in the future. Otherwise, next time they see an opportunity, what's to stop them from trying again?

The UN ought to be dealing with this. Seeing as that they're useful... The burden falls to everyone. The US shouldn't be alone in interfering. All countries should stand up and try to help russia and georgia come to an agreement. IMHO, that is.

My hands have yet to build a village, have yet to find water in the barren desert, have yet to plant a flower, and I have yet to find the path that leads me... I have not loved enough, but the wind and the sun are still on my face.

I have yet to sow green fields, yet to raise a city, yet to plant a grapevine on each chalky hill... There is so much to build and so much to be, and my love is just beginning.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
H3RO Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to H3RO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyK View Post
Technically, it's kind of comparable. Georgia was attacking non-Georgians, focusing on Russians. In other words, ethnic cleansing. Did they get as far/become as effective as hitler? No. But they were trying to. Russia was right to try to stop them.

Considering how few people the georgian government managed to kill, an invasion may seem like overkill... However, it's reasonable to retaliate a lot against genocidal actions to discourage the government from trying again in the future. Otherwise, next time they see an opportunity, what's to stop them from trying again?

The UN ought to be dealing with this. Seeing as that they're useful... The burden falls to everyone. The US shouldn't be alone in interfering. All countries should stand up and try to help russia and georgia come to an agreement. IMHO, that is.
Ahh, how very true that is. At the same time, I posted in one of my first posts about how the UN as a group should take care of it, not just the US. That's the point I was trying to get to.

Another point, why are we allies with a nation who has tried as you say, ethnic cleansing? IMO, it makes it seem like that perhaps the terrorists are right for attacking other people because they want everyone to be Islamic. How contradicting the political leaders are in the world.

Kingler @ 94 posts
Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Norman View Post
Russia and US will never go against each other in war. Both have common engines that won't hesitate to pull the carpet from under them, if they try something stupid.

Besides, ignore Russia's threats. Russia is pretty much isolated, besides they need help in the War on Terror...they'll just make statements, but handle the situation diplomatically.

Oh, finally- if there's a War, army needs oil. Mobil, Exxon and Standard, which have common bases refuse to sell oil. Owned.
Do you enjoy living in your fantasy world?

There is nothing keeping the US and Russia from going at it. Russia has definitely shown some hostility with their attack on Georgia, I see it as a warning towards the US to back off. We are trying to build a Missile Defense System on their turf, and they don't sit well with that. That's very understandable, we never established a true partnership with them to begin with. After the Cold War ended, thoughts where that they would join NATO. Ha. Now with Putin leading their country, a mad man, we should be taking Russia very serious. The oil crisis only adds to the tension.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiikari View Post
Do you enjoy living in your fantasy world?
Lets see now.

Quote:
There is nothing keeping the US and Russia from going at it.
Where's the money and oil going to come from?
Quote:
Russia has definitely shown some hostility with their attack on Georgia, I see it as a warning towards the US to back off. We are trying to build a Missile Defense System on their turf, and they don't sit well with that.
That's a point, but Russia has ego or whatever, who would just sit like that, without being allowed a say in the matter?

And oil tension? I don't see any sort of tension...and neither do the people at the top. When Israel said that they might take action against Iran's nuclear facilities, oil rose 10$. Now, in spite of "tension", all I see is...oil prices crashing. From 145$, it's not 105$ in less than two months. The slightest tension raises oil prices..but instead, its going further and further down. Maybe OPEC and Goldman Sachs are in the same fantasy world as I am, but one fact exists- they're not concerned, they know that nothing can happen.

The people that control Oil and Money control wars. The governments of Russia and USA control neither.

Last edited by Snow Fairy Sugar; 09-05-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RO View Post
I mean, Russia really has no right invading Georgia, but how can you possibly compare that to what Hitler did?
If a country has the power to help, then does it really matter what the magnitude of the problem is?

Quote:
Now with Putin leading their country, a mad man, we should be taking Russia very serious.
Putin is authoritarian, I'll give you that, but I wouldn't call him a madman. And the chances of Russia and the US going to war are not that high, actually. As long as the world has not discovered an alternative fuel besides oil, the US will not want to anger Russia. And with American money pouring in, who're the Russian's to complain? Yes, there is tension between the two countries and they've never really been friends; probably the closest was during the Roosevelt-Stalin era, when the two could at least look at each other's faces without building a nuclear bomb.

Now, I don't think what Russia did is right, but as FFK pointed out, they had their reasons. This wasn't some mad urge to suddenly get more territory.

While the US does have responsibility currently (though not for long the way I see it) being the world's only super power, I feel that it abuses that position a fair bit. They irk their enemies, and get what they want, simply claiming that they're policing the world and making it safer. This is a conflict between Russia and Georgia, and really, the EU should be the ones solving this problem. The UN could be called in, yes, but since when have they ever been any use when a big power invades a smaller power? Especially when Russia has Veto powers.

Deathspector

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

Meh, I don't care about Russia too much... But when Russia attacks Israel, we're all doomed. =/

[TheSorrowOfPE2K]