Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM
The Politoed Hunter Offline
Banned

Default Re: The LHC Will Destroy the World? Think Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
They already turned it on. They turned it on on September 1st, it's Spetember 6th now. We're not dead. Therefore, the LFC is not a doomsday device.
Actually, its turned on 10th. And its the (L)arge (H)adron (C)ollider, not the LFC.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Azumao Offline
That Whiscash Freak
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Azumao Send a message via MSN to Azumao

I think it's a cool thing. Everybody is curious about the creation of the universe, recreating the big bang would be amazing. xD

Sure, we might die. Think of it this way: that'd be a cool way to die. You'll see the secrets of black holes first hand!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Though, keep this in mind. If the world is not ended on Wednesday, then we are still not 'out of the woods' so to speak. On Wednesday they will only shoot the beams throughout the whole 16 some odd mile long LHC, the first collisions don't take place until late October or early November.

But, I still don't think anything is going to happen.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Interesting articles...here we're looking at the same people who invented the Internet. I'm curious to know what they will discover.

Oh, by the way lmao, they're trying to sue CERN and stop them. xD

But think of the bright side, guys. If there's a black hole or something, we don't have to worry about exams or anything ever again!

Last edited by Snow Fairy Sugar; 09-09-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
pokeman Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to pokeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Norman View Post
Interesting articles...here we're looking at the same people who invented the Internet. I'm curious to know what they will discover.

Oh, by the waylmao, they're trying to sue CERN and stop them. xD

But think of the bright side, guys. If there's a black hole or something, we don't have to worry about exams or anything ever again!
But that means I'll never reach a 1000 posts ever!

The worst thing is, if a block hole does engulf the world, it would be in a matter of second. So your just sitting thinking of what your gonna do next summer, and then suddenly BAM your gone. That's it, you won't even know what happened. Just BAM

(Credit for sprites goes to DRCD)
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeman View Post
But that means I'll never reach a 1000 posts ever!

The worst thing is, if a block hole does engulf the world, it would be in a matter of second. So your just sitting thinking of what your gonna do next summer, and then suddenly BAM your gone. That's it, you won't even know what happened. Just BAM
Actually, that would be a great thing. I'd never even know that I had died, and I wouldn't have to feel a thing.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiikari View Post
Actually, that would be a great thing. I'd never even know that I had died, and I wouldn't have to feel a thing.
Well that just begs the question, would you rather see your inevitable death coming or not? Me, I would. I would prefer to know I'm about to die, give myself at least a second of time to reflect on my life, say goodbye to my family, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Orthar Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveeking929 View Post
Well that just begs the question, would you rather see your inevitable death coming or not? Me, I would. I would prefer to know I'm about to die, give myself at least a second of time to reflect on my life, say goodbye to my family, etc.
And I have given that to you with this thread.

;)

So even if you think that it may destroy the world, which it won't, now is your time to reflect on your life and say goodbye to your family.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
CloudOfNines Offline

Send a message via AIM to CloudOfNines Send a message via MSN to CloudOfNines

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Norman View Post

Oh, by the way lmao, they're trying to sue CERN and stop them. xD

I still find this kind of funny. In the book Demons & Angels by Dan Brown, (prequel to the da vinci code) it talks about the lhc at the start and its the whole reason behind two murders. What happened in the book is that two beams of particles that were speeding at the speed of light hit each other at light speed and recreated teh big bang. Wonder if that will happen here =P. Watch out for teh anti matter bombs :D and yes I believe this to be on topic =P
Old 09-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Orthar Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameRyushin View Post
I still find this kind of funny. In the book Demons & Angels by Dan Brown, (prequel to the da vinci code) it talks about the lhc at the start and its the whole reason behind two murders. What happened in the book is that two beams of particles that were speeding at the speed of light hit each other at light speed and recreated teh big bang. Wonder if that will happen here =P. Watch out for teh anti matter bombs :D and yes I believe this to be on topic =P
Well, it's not entirely on topic. And the author of the book simply put that in there to progress the story. Though, the LHC is trying to find particles which may have existed right after The Big Bang.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4682260.ece

Pretty good article there, especially the last bit.

"The saner voice of science is shining through, however, as Valerie Jamieson, deputy features editor of New Scientist, explains on her blog.

“Scale the cosmic ray sums up to cover the 100 billion stars in the Milky Way and the 100 billion galaxies in the visible Universe and you find that nature has already made the equivalent of 1,031 LHCs. Or if you like, 10 trillion LHCs are running every second. And we’re still here.” "
Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Ooh, the Jedis are gonna feel this one!

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
pokeman Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to pokeman

Well it says on CNN that they just fired it up a few hours ago. And guess what, WE'RE ALIVE!!!
The first beam is on september 10th.

(Credit for sprites goes to DRCD)
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
George Jefferson Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to George Jefferson Send a message via MSN to George Jefferson Send a message via Yahoo to George Jefferson Send a message via Skype™ to George Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shiny hunter View Post
Actually, its turned on 10th. And its the (L)arge (H)adron (C)ollider, not the LFC.
I read that as a Large Hardon Collider.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeman View Post
Well it says on CNN that they just fired it up a few hours ago. And guess what, WE'RE ALIVE!!!
The first beam is on september 10th.
Today was a trial run of the systems. they haven't collided anything yet.

You know what occured to me? It might be unlikely that we'll kill ourselves with a black hole, but has anyone given thought to the fact that we're recreating the biggest explosion in all of creation?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:33 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Hardy View Post
I read that as a Large Hardon Collider.
You're not the first.

I'd love to see the inside of a blackhole, but somehow I doubt it'll ever happen.

~IGC t DM+

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.