Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Holy Bible?
Yes, 75%-100% of it 28 41.18%
Some of it, 45%-70% of it 7 10.29%
Not really, 15%-40% of it 15 22.06%
None of it, 0% of it 18 26.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2008, 11:31 PM
DarkAmethyst Offline

Send a message via MSN to DarkAmethyst
Default Re: Do You Believe In the Holy Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
No, as I'm not religious and the book itself is incredibly sexist.
Dude, wtf?

Yes, yes I do believe the Bible as for the simple fact that I am a Christian.

"There is no hope of winning unless you fight."

Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Nirvash Offline

Send a message via AIM to Nirvash

I'm a jew. New Testimate = don't care. Old testimate = I believe the stories have morals that we should listen to, but we shouldn't interpret anything literally. I live by stuff like "don't steal" and "don't murder", and some other things too, but I try not to let religion interfere with the rest of my life.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
No, as I'm not religious and the book itself is incredibly sexist.
Yeah, because having a girl fight a war and saving all of Israel is sexist. My guess is you haven't even read it.

Last edited by MaskedJackal; 09-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
Yeah, because having a girl fight a war and saving all of Israel is sexist. My guess is you haven't even read it.
No one cares what you think anymore =P.

Meh, I believe in parts of it. That being sad, most of it sounds like a load of bull =D.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
No one cares what you think anymore =P.
And you think they care about you?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Tory vs Meaty II Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Arrow Re: Do You Believe In the Holy Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_fire View Post
Dude, wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunschkind View Post
Yeah, because having a girl fight a war and saving all of Israel is sexist.
Every user in this thread has believes, opinons. Therefore, they can say what they feel about it if they want to. I don't believe in the Bible anymore for the following reasons:

1) It doesn't talk about fossils.

2) It says that the Earth is flat right here at the following numbers:

3) It says that the Earth has pillars: Job 9:6 - He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble.

4) The light of the Universe and the flat earth's dimensions in the Bible: Job 37:33 He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth.

5) The Earth has corners?

Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

6) The Earth has ends?

Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

7) The Earth doesn't move, according to the Bible:

Psalm 104:5
He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.

Ecclesiastes 1:5
The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.

8) According to the Bible, the Earth has edges:

"that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it? (From the NIV Bible, Job 38:13)"

"He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth. (From the NIV Bible, Job 37:3)"

"for he views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens. (From the NIV Bible, Job 28:24)"

"Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea. (From the NIV Bible, Job 11:9)"

According to the often quoted Isaiah 40:22:

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. (From the NIV Bible, Isaiah 40:22)"

The word they used was 'hug' which means circle. A circle is NOT a sphere or a ball or an egg-shaped object. If they meant to say a sphere, they could've used the word 'dur,' which means 'ball.' That passage only talks about the circularity of a flat earth-disc not of a sphere.

So, the Bible not only did NOT show that the Earth was a sphere, ball, or egg-shaped, but it also claimed in several verses that the Earth was flat, that it had edges, four corners, an end, a tent-like sky, foundations, and pillars.

Conclusion:

The Bible not only failed to claim that the Earth was egg-shaped, but it also claimed in numerous verses as shown above that the Earth is flat, has Edges, has Four Corners, has Pillars, and has Foundations. As I said above, no unbiased person would deny the obvious and embarrassing quotes above. Only the desperate biased Jews and Christians would. (no offence)

9) This is my favorite one, check out these links that I found from Matt: http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/laura.htm, http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...adictions.html

~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 AM
pseudopseudo Offline
Banned

What about the people that believe 41.582% of it? Me, I don't believe any of it.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Hoshika Offline

I think the bible has been lost in transition because so many people took it literally...

There are no idiomatic mistakes in this post.
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Freddy Fro Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Yes, I believe the Bible is God's inspired Word, in which He shows Himself to us through the His Word.

Fro~

PS:@Meaty: You sure know alot about something you don't believe in
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Tory vs Meaty II Offline

Send a message via ICQ to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via AIM to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via MSN to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Yahoo to Tory vs Meaty II Send a message via Skype™ to Tory vs Meaty II
Arrow Re: Do You Believe In the Holy Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Fro View Post
PS:@Meaty: You sure know alot about something you don't believe in
Yes, also dragons, the 3 Egyptian God Monsters, and all 493 Pokemon right in my left pocket!

~ Banner & avatar by me ~
Bye PE2K, I am leaving forever.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:20 AM
H3RO Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to H3RO

Not really, just for the fact that it's been written by monks for quite some time, hard to tell what they wanted to put in and what they took out. I don't believe in any one book because there's no real evidence to exactly whose religion is right. However, I do believe there is a God and a heaven. Too many versions of the bible, so why sit there and try to figure out who's right and who's wrong.

And Meaty, some of your opinions do make sense, but then again, you can't put the exact words in modern English. For example, when it talks about the beast rising out of the sea, doesn't necessarily mean sea. Alot of things were almost written in some sort of a code, you used demons/monsters to represent bad people and at the same time they used "holy" creatures or items to represent people. So the Earth being held up by four pillars could mean anything, all depends on how you interpret it.

Kingler @ 94 posts

Last edited by H3RO; 09-04-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Freddy Fro Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaty View Post
Yes, also dragons, the 3 Egyptian God Mosters, and all 493 Pokemon right in my left pocket!
That's mature.

Oh and just to let you know, those verses you were "quoting" up there, those were either symbolic(I'd have to look into them more to know for sure) or you just think that everyone all those thousands of years ago knew all the stuff we know today, yeah sure.

Fro~
Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 AM
H3RO Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to H3RO

Quote:
That's mature.

Oh and just to let you know, those verses you were "quoting" up there, those were either symbolic(I'd have to look into them more to know for sure) or you just think that everyone all those thousands of years ago knew all the stuff we know today, yeah sure.

Fro~
Good arguement Freddy, but at the same time then, who's to say the bible isn't one giant book of dare I say, a fable? It's a book about a hero, his apostles, and it teaches morals. Pretty much the Holy Bible is a giant book of fables. Some people read and they'll think "Wow, there really was a dragon." Then you have you're people that think out of the box and say "No, the dragon stood for this, this, and that." It doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong because we'll either find out when a)we perish b)the second coming happens or to some other popular belief c)a distant life form, similar to us or not, arrives back at Earth.

Kingler @ 94 posts
Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

No -- The Bible really has no influence over me. I have read it, and I understand it about as well as any non-theologian does. It's ridiculous that anyone who doesn't believe in The Bible's teachings is immediately accused of having never read it.

Hi

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Ranma Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Ranma Send a message via MSN to Ranma Send a message via Yahoo to Ranma

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel_fire View Post
Dude, wtf?

There are plenty of sexist thing in the bibles.

I mean, women are property. How is that not sexist?

Quote:
That's mature.

Fro~
If it were really the word of god wouldn't it be true though? Since the bible is supposivly only God's words, and no one elses then God is saying the earth is flat. =P