Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 Other Boards Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

View Poll Results: Twilight. Love it. Hate it.
Loved It 3 11.11%
Hate It 7 25.93%
Still Reading Yet. Can't decide right now. 0 0%
Haven't Read it. 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Operative Offline

Send a message via MSN to Operative Send a message via Skype™ to Operative
Default Twilight. Love it or Hate it.

My friend was reading Twilight and finished it today. She recommended the book to me so I borrowed it from the library and read it. And guess what! I'm one of the few people who read the whole book and HATED it!

So what are your thoughts on the Vampire book known as ' Twilight ' ?

|thedynamicduo|
Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Origami Offline

Send a message via AIM to Origami
Default Re: Twilight. Love it or Hate it.

Just couldn't get into it. Crossed too many similar vampire romance stories before, I guess.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Reading the Twilight series is like watching a ten-car pile-up on an interstate highway.

Twilight is the breeding ground of MarySues. Edward is horribly unrealistic, and although Meyer's interpretation of vampirism was interesting at first, it flopped when *spoilers* Bella became a vampire and showed no emotional difference. The fourth book (yes, I've actually kept reading them, despite how much I hate them) totally ruined one of the two things I liked about the series (aforementioned spoiler).

Alice will likely continue to be awesome, so it has at least one redeeming feature.

As a romantic story... they're really sweet, I suppose. I, personally, can't stand that form of 'relationship'--the sickly sweet kind that only encounters 'not-my-fault' angsty hitches ("We're not of the same species, so my boyfriend abandoned me for my own protection!" or "While my boyfriend was gone, I made friends with a werewolf who fell in love with me and refused to share me with my soulmate!") and strays completely from realistic emotions and exchanges.

Minus the love triangle (which I hate in all romance novels, because they're sad, and stupid, and pointless, and drag on foooorrrreeeevvvveeerrrr) the plot was... semi-decent in the first book, just plain irritating in the second, unbearable in the third, and... not amazingly bad in the fourth while Bella's baby was still eating her from inside out (IIRC? I read it awhile back and wasn't paying much attention), but died... when... she gave birth, became a vampire, et cetera, and basically ruined what little appeal the story had held for me previously.

Part of the problem was Edward being seriously cheesy (as in, he said cheesy, stupid things in that way that screams 'What I just said isn't cheesy at all!' Cheesiness, IMHO is only cute when the guy seriously means it, but realizes how utterly, adorably ridiculous he sounds) and totally not... vampire-like, 'vegetarian' or not. About 96% of my distaste stems from Bella and how it seems that Stephanie Meyer made a twisted attempt at making her interesting by... making her... uninteresting? And Sue-ish.

[/rant] While I still can.

I do understand that alot of people find it to be appealing (and respect that), but I just can't stand fake characters.

To me, Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series is a bit like the late bull-fighters (matadors) mentioned in Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises--professionals, yes, but ones who used cheap tricks to create a semblance of closeness, of danger, and of emotion that ended up feeling even more fake than a just plain bad matador performance to those who had spent alot of time among the bull-fights.

~IGC t DM+

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Operative Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaygc View Post
Reading the Twilight series is like watching a ten-car pile-up on an interstate highway.

Twilight is the breeding ground of MarySues. Edward is horribly unrealistic, and although Meyer's interpretation of vampirism was interesting at first, it flopped when *spoilers* Bella became a vampire and showed no emotional difference. The fourth book (yes, I've actually kept reading them, despite how much I hate them) totally ruined one of the two things I liked about the series (aforementioned spoiler).

Alice will likely continue to be awesome, so it has at least one redeeming feature.

As a romantic story... they're really sweet, I suppose. I, personally, can't stand that form of 'relationship'--the sickly sweet kind that only encounters 'not-my-fault' angsty hitches ("We're not of the same species, so my boyfriend abandoned me for my own protection!" or "While my boyfriend was gone, I made friends with a werewolf who fell in love with me and refused to share me with my soulmate!") and strays completely from realistic emotions and exchanges.

Minus the love triangle (which I hate in all romance novels, because they're sad, and stupid, and pointless, and drag on foooorrrreeeevvvveeerrrr) the plot was... semi-decent in the first book, just plain irritating in the second, unbearable in the third, and... not amazingly bad in the fourth while Bella's baby was still eating her from inside out (IIRC? I read it awhile back and wasn't paying much attention), but died... when... she gave birth, became a vampire, et cetera, and basically ruined what little appeal the story had held for me previously.

Part of the problem was Edward being seriously cheesy (as in, he said cheesy, stupid things in that way that screams 'What I just said isn't cheesy at all!' Cheesiness, IMHO is only cute when the guy seriously means it, but realizes how utterly, adorably ridiculous he sounds) and totally not... vampire-like, 'vegetarian' or not. About 96% of my distaste stems from Bella and how it seems that Stephanie Meyer made a twisted attempt at making her interesting by... making her... uninteresting? And Sue-ish.

[/rant] While I still can.

I do understand that alot of people find it to be appealing (and respect that), but I just can't stand fake characters.

To me, Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series is a bit like the late bull-fighters (matadors) mentioned in Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises--professionals, yes, but ones who used cheap tricks to create a semblance of closeness, of danger, and of emotion that ended up feeling even more fake than a just plain bad matador performance to those who had spent alot of time among the bull-fights.

~IGC t DM+
Finally someone who understands me about the story!

I should make my friend read this all and make her realize it...

|thedynamicduo|
Old 09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Skottles Online
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Skottles

I have not read the book but I have heard mixed reviews from people I know who have read it. My mom seems to like the series though.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Hoshika Offline

It seems that the extreme fangirl friends I have read the book... which is not me, of course.
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Operative Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
It seems that the extreme fangirl friends I have read the book... which is not me, of course.
The typical extreme fangirl friends...

I have fanboy friends. xD

Most of them don't know what Twilight is. [ *_* ]

|thedynamicduo|
Old 09-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Scourge of Amaranth Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scourge of Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by operative123 View Post
The typical extreme fangirl friends...

I have fanboy friends. xD

Most of them don't know what Twilight is. [ *_* ]
Fanboy friends are funny~ I have one; the rest are too feminine to be fanboys. Puzzle that one out.

One addition: the coverart is amazing. I'd totally just buy the coverjackets and hang them on my wall.... But Alice and the coverart are the only good parts. ^^ ;

~IGC t DM+

EmBreon is the maple syrup to my slightly undercooked crepe
{URPG Stats}--{ASB Stats}--{Fanfiction}
khajmer = biffle
yoface = broham

thegalleonman: (8:37:28 PM) How sad.
thegalleonman: (8:37:37 PM) I'm amused.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Operative Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaygc View Post
Fanboy friends are funny~ I have one; the rest are too feminine to be fanboys. Puzzle that one out.

One addition: the coverart is amazing. I'd totally just buy the coverjackets and hang them on my wall.... But Alice and the coverart are the only good parts. ^^ ;

~IGC t DM+
Feminine Fanboys..... xDD

Yeah, the coverart is really good. I want to stick the cover onto my face walking around and calling people fruits... ^_^

|thedynamicduo|
Old 09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
-Zodeon Offline

I voted havent read it, although i googled about it and it looked pretty intresting, might read it when i get the time.

0989 7772 7033
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Neon_Espeon Offline
Elite Trainer

^What she said. I've been pondering about reading It for quite some time, and seeing how It's getting mixed reviews and such I'll most likely enjoy It. I just know It, It happens every time.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Mr M Offline

Send a message via AIM to Mr M Send a message via MSN to Mr M Send a message via Yahoo to Mr M

Some people that I know says that this book is good.
But I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

~Marcus~
"Oh so..Peachy!"
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Between the terrible writing, the impossibly perfect Mary Sue characters, the ridiculous story and the fact that the series has one of the scariest fanbases I have ever seen (see here), you could say that I dislike these books.

In fact, I despise them. They're a mockery of good literature.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
Between the terrible writing, the impossibly perfect Mary Sue characters, the ridiculous story and the fact that the series has one of the scariest fanbases I have ever seen (see here), you could say that I dislike these books.

In fact, I despise them. They're a mockery of good literature.

I LOVE THESE BOOKS!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig

I've heard they are good, amazing acually, but every single review was by a sixth-seventh grade girl. What do you expect. I'm a guy, so I would never read this book anyway, and want to read it even less after reading these posts. It's not that I am against feminine books, the plot just seems too Lovey-duvey for me.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}