Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Pokemon Battling Center

Pokemon Battling Center Find an opponent to battle on Pokemon Black/White, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum or Pokemon Online. Join a clan or tournament here.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Limitless Send a message via Yahoo to Limitless Send a message via Skype™ to Limitless
Default The Official Pe2k Academy

Official Pe2k Academy

General Information:

This program is meant to help educate members who would like to brush up on their battling and team building skills. Keep in mind, competitive battling doesn't mean casual players can't join in as well. I have been casually battling more lately and the basic knowledge from competitive battling helps a lot. The bottom line is that you choose what you would like to work on in order to improve your skills. The panel of tutors were carefully selected. Each of them specializes in many different aspects of the game. The main goal of this program is to spread the knowledge of the tutors to everyone in order to make the community a better place. Everyone deserves to be on the same level.

Here's how the program will work: There will be an application form to become a student. One student will be assigned to one tutor. That's the most effective way to learn. It will be the goal of the professor to ensure that the student learns exactly what they want to learn. Please be respectful to your tutor’s way of battling. If you are not interested in learning, then this isn't the program for you. Only a few members will be able to take this program every semester. If their isn't an open semester, just wait until there is a new one. The semester length will vary; however, they should not last more than a month.

Tutor Information:

Diarago
Information: Diarago is a strategist of sorts, and believes that the apex of a battle can be foreseen, or foregone, by the time the first hit is delivered. He has battled in the OU metagame since the advent of Diamond and Pearl, and consistently reiterates the philosophy that any basely sturdy team can be as inexorable as it can be abated in triumph. Subsequently, as the metagame continues to sway to all sorts of reform, he has been remarked upon to be a risk-taker as often as he is a clever player.

Fierce Deity
Information: Fierce Deity has been competitively battling since July '07. Studying up on many battles and getting familiar with movesets and EVs, he is quite familiar with the current Metagame. He's been known to have the ability to create new sets for Pokemon by studying their movepool, common threats, and base stats. A good team builder, nice strategist, and is great at prediction.

KageryuEx
Information: KageryuEX has been battling in the overused metagame since its very beginnings and this hasn't changed as of yet. He has quite some skills at predicting/ team building and is known for using awkward movesets/ EV spreads that catch his opponent off guard. Also, Kage has gotten to a respectable 1550 on the Smogon Server. In addition to that, he has beaten many of the top battlers around the forums on wifi and shoddy. Kageryu is also a prominent breeder at Smogon.

Kevin Garrett
Information: Kevin excels in team building and prediction, especially involved with switching and attacking. He enjoys studying the tactics of other battlers and using that to his advantage in battle. He won The First Official Tournament and came in fifth place in The Second Official Tournament for PokeBeach. He was rated 1645 and was ranked in Top 60 twice on the Shoddy Battle uber ladder for the Official Server, one being in the Top 25. He has also won against a many players that are ranked in the Top 5 on both the standard and uber ladders. In addition to all of that, he is an official tutor at the prestigious site Smogon.

Pires Reach
Information: I have been with D/P since the beginning. I wasn't really around for ADV very much until the end, but I think that's helped me learn D/P even better because I didn't have to adjust from one style of play to another. I learned D/P fairly quickly and since then have continued to practice and play regularly several times a week. I've been into D/P since the very beginning, and thus have experienced all of its changes and have learned what is effective in certain styles of play, from the offensive beginning, to the stall metagame, to the current speed game. I often give advice and help people both on shoddy and IRC, and I'm pretty laid back and easy to work with. I've run several different styles of teams and can work with any of them.

RoflTacos
Information: I was originally known as Seanrocks126m, a previous members of such clans as The Spartans, The Banished Warriars, VDA, and am one of the "good" battlers here. I have been battling since the very beginning and have been doing well. I am pretty good at pointing out weaknesses in teams and can specialize in many teams depending on what the person is aiming for. I create my own sets for pokemon to test new things out and can help out with many things such as movesets, teams, etc.

Savior Sephiroth
Information: SaviorSephiroth is an awesome battler and has beaten a vast amount of good battlers in and out of Shoddy. He's awesome, knows a lot about our current and past Metagames, and his prediction skills are one to not take for granted. He has also beaten many of the top battlers on Pe2k with much ease.

Shadow Aquatic
Information: I'm a well known battler known throughout many forums. I'm known on Smogon for making it far into tournaments. I love analyzing my opponents battling style, and then using it to my own advantadge. I'm an offensive player, sweeping teams when they think they have control of the match. My team building style is different than most, but I've found it to be effective. My first time taking ladder seriously I reached 1576 on the Smogon Server (Standard Ladder). A few weeks later I laddered with a different team I peaked at 1606 on Standard. I also play ubers, reaching top 50 on Smogon Server twice. I've also got to 1701 on official server (standard).

Trinity
Information: Trinity, also known as Limitless, specializes in dealing with shifting metagames. He is familiar with all of the tiers in the metagame including Underused. He was ranked in the Top 10 on Shoddy with a rating of above 1650. He also battles on Wi-Fi selectively. He has won against many players that were ranked in the Top 5 on Shoddy. He has had eight accounts over 1640 for Overused, and has reached 4th place on the Underused ladder. In addition to having good prediction, he is also an expert breeder.

Vincent Valentine 4
Information: I've been playing pokemon since the beginning but I only got into competitive battling when D/P came out and I've battled all of pe2ks best battlers and learned a vast amount from them. I also have read about almost every pokemon on smogon so I know exactly what to expect from any pokemon at any time and I have had the oppurtunity to be tutored by Trinity and Kevin Garrett allowing me to reach my full potential and now I'm prepared to teach others as much as I have been taught.

Orange: Inactive for the mean time.

Rules:

* All forum rules still apply, which can be found here: Forum Guide
* Use full sentences, Capitalization, punctuation, and proper grammar. This will make you look good.
* Spamming and Flamming will not be tolerated, and punishments will be handed out as necessary. Please Report posts and contact a Moderator as necessary to handle the situation.
* Posts within this thread must stay on topic. You may talk about anything in correlation with the Academy. In addition to that, you may ask questions that our tutors or any of the community members can answer. Also talk about strategies and the current metagame are highly encouraged. Anything not within these parameters are considered spam.
* A Messenger Service, like AIM, MSN, or Yahoo, will make communication a lot easier.

Last edited by Limitless; 02-16-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Limitless Send a message via Yahoo to Limitless Send a message via Skype™ to Limitless
Default Re: The Official Pe2k Academy [Now taking students]

Semester Four

Welcome to semester two of the Official Pe2k Academy. If you want to get a tutor for this semester all you have to do is post your profile in the format below. Tutors will provide their knowledge in team building and battling strategies. They are here to teach and for you to learn. Our goal is to be able to have our students be at the same or better battling level as our tutors. This in correlation will result in bettering ourselves for forum wars and flat out make this community a better place. Good luck!

For every round of this program, our aim is to pair each member of our experienced and talented tutors with a Pe2k user who wants to improve his or her skills in any area they may need help in. It should be the objective of every tutor and apprentice to help us accomplish becoming a better community by:

*Building at least one new team or substantially improving an old team of the apprentice each round.

*Meeting a minimum of two times during the round on a battling simulator or wifi. An acceptable level of time spent together is around two or so hours over the course of the round, but of course, longer and more frequent meetings are advantageous and will promote the goal of the apprentice program.

This semester will go on for one week ending February 15th.

Forum Username:
DP Friend Code:
Shoddy Battle Username:
Background Information:
Aim/way to contact you:

Those of you chosen for this semester will be assigned a tutor. If you had someone in mind that you wanted to teach you and didn't get assigned to them, then you can send me a PM. Unless you have a specific reason why you wanted that person, then just live with your tutor. All of them have the same experience and knowledge.

Semester Four Match-ups:

Fierce Deity - Dancing Mad
Diarago - Dark Turtwig
Savior Sephiroth - Ahlat
Vincent Valentine 4 - Rampaging Luvdisc
Shadow Aquatic - Nyla

Last edited by Limitless; 01-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Creating a Successful Team
By Limitless, edited by Fierce Deity

Purpose: This should be your main driving force to fulfill your objective. The whole goal of your purpose is to eliminate any and all “counters” to what your “Purpose Pokemon.” Now let’s say for example, you have an ordinary Lucario, not a special variant and a non HP Ice Lucario. Obviously your main two threats are Gliscor and Gyarados. So you will need a range of 1-2 Pokemon to successfully eliminate them from stopping your sweep. When People analyze your team in a RMT, they basically give normally a team 1 or 2 Pokemon to an individual Pokemon. So seeing more than that is very unlikely unless they are trying to pull something very different. Once you can successfully eliminate those counters, you basically have a free pass to go for a sweep, as long as you don’t make any stupid moves. Your "Purpose Pokemon" shouldn't attempt to set up in the early stages of a match.

Objective: Your objective is what you're aiming for. In order to be capable of a clean sweep, you must take out your Purpose Pokemon's "counters" - This is part of your objective. Now, without further ado, let's move onto the next part.

Once you can successfully identify a purpose and Purpose Pokemon for your team, you need to be able to counter all of those Pokemon that can seriously pose a threat to your objective. I don’t really believe that I have to state how to do that, but you should be aware of the major threats of the current metagame.

- Lucario
- Heracross
- Weavile
- Gyarados
- Tyranitar
- Mamoswine
- Gengar
- Raikou
- Infernape
- Salamence
- Dragonite
- Starmie
- Zapdos
- Heatran
- Machamp

Now that I have familiarized you with some specific Pokemon to counter, let's go into something you should always be aware of as your “counter”. You have to always have in the back of your head if a certain variant of a team is such as stealth rock, spikes, toxic spikes or whatnot would seriously put a dent in your team. Zapdos and Gyarados are in your team for example, you should seriously consider a spinner. Likewise, when/if you decide to put a spinner on your team, you should think of knocking another threat off of your list. When making a team, ALWAYS think of how you should/could be taking Pokemon off the counter list of your purpose Pokemon/team. In the next section of this thread, I will be explaining how to think of a good lead to, in a sense, lead your team to victory and not defeat.

Leads: Many people do not realize how much a “good” lead is to notching a victory line in your record. You should always be aware of the most common leads in the Metagame. A good place to find that would be on Shoddy under where it states the most common leads for each month. Obviously the Pokemon may change each month due to the fact that most of the time the Metagame is an ever changing wheel of variants. Your lead should also knock a few Pokemon off of your threat list while still maintaining a sense of balance to your team. I repeat, do NOT use your Purpose Pokemon as your lead. It would be really stupid. You don’t want to expose until you know you can sweep. Which is why I seriously recommend writing down each and every Pokemon that your opponent has on his team when they show up.

Walls/Sweepers: You should have a nice balance of walls and sweepers accordingly to Physical and Special. Sweepers such as MixLuke or MixApe are another story, so having "specific" sweepers isn't much of a problem. In regards to walls, ONLY use specific walls to counter certain things that you can’t with other Pokemon. What I'm saying is to shoot for walls that can counter and packs a punch as well. Gliscor fits nicely with that statement.

Psuedo-Hazers: Honestly, you really wouldn't need these. Only if you REALLY feel as though you'll be swept by a Pokemon setting up. This game is all about eliminating the counters to your Purpose Pokemon and sweeping from there. Your opponent should have the same goal, so keep that in mind.

Rest/Sleep Talkers: These are very important, in my opinion. If you are having problems with sleep inducers [many of them are fast], then you might want this on your team. Machamp, Heracross, Gyrardos, Heatran - the list goes on of many good Sleep Talkers.

Obviously the element of surprise is something that is very special and something that should be in the back of everyone’s mind. The simple change of a moveset, EV’s or even the held item could really win you the whole match. This also goes hand-in-hand with prediction as well. If your Purpose Pokemon had a surprising element for setting up, you would have a distinct advantage on easily 70% of your competition out there. And with that have a great time building your team, and remember to have fun!

Original Guide: Successful Team Guide

Last edited by Limitless; 01-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

You may now post.
Special thanks to KageryuEx, Teo, and Alonzo for helping me.

Last edited by Limitless; 01-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Shadow Aquatic Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
You may now post.
Special thanks to KageryuEx, Teo, and Alonzo for helping me.
Teach me I'm a noob

Forum Username: shadow aquatic
Time Zone: east
DP Friend Code: i forgot
Shoddy Battle Username: kankuro
Background Information: uh I beat jabbathegriffin and fabbles and max and i forgot who else lol
Aim/way to contact you:hoopstar695
Old 09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Aquatic View Post
Teach me I'm a noob

Forum Username: shadow aquatic
Time Zone: east
DP Friend Code: i forgot
Shoddy Battle Username: kankuro
Background Information: uh I beat jabbathegriffin and fabbles and max and i forgot who else lol
Aim/way to contact you:hoopstar695
Accepted. I'll take you as an apprentice.

Only 4 spots remaining.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Lelouch vi Britannia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Lelouch vi Britannia

Forum Username: Lelouch Vi Britannia
Time Zone: US Central
DP Friend Code: 3351 0648 5810
Shoddy Battle Username: KDH
Background Information: Um. I've done wi fi battles for over a year now...I think....
Aim/way to contact you: MSN (Points up)

Pokemon Diamond FC: 3351 0648 5810 (Main)
Pokemon Pearl FC: 1333 4469 2058 (Trading/Storage)
Pokemon Platinum FC: 5371 1168 6580
Pokemon HeartGold FC: 0732 7052 2726
Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch vi Britannia View Post
Forum Username: Lelouch Vi Britannia
Time Zone: US Central
DP Friend Code: 3351 0648 5810
Shoddy Battle Username: KDH
Background Information: Um. I've done wi fi battles for over a year now...I think....
Aim/way to contact you: MSN (Points up)
Accepted. Savior will be your tutor. Since I'm not sure if Savior has MSN, the best way for you guys to talk would most likely be on shoddy.

The deadline for this round will be October 4th.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Lelouch vi Britannia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Lelouch vi Britannia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
Accepted. Savior will be your tutor. Since I'm not sure if Savior has MSN, the best way for you guys to talk would most likely be on shoddy.

The deadline for this round will be October 4th.
Ok Then. I haven't been on shoddy for like...Forever.
Thanks.

Yeah, he has msn.

Pokemon Diamond FC: 3351 0648 5810 (Main)
Pokemon Pearl FC: 1333 4469 2058 (Trading/Storage)
Pokemon Platinum FC: 5371 1168 6580
Pokemon HeartGold FC: 0732 7052 2726
Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch vi Britannia View Post
Ok Then. I haven't been on shoddy for like...Forever.
Thanks.

Yeah, he has msn.
That will work out great then. Only 3 more spots are open for the tutoring program round!
Old 09-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Pires Reach Offline
Banned

Forum Username: Captain Chaos
Time Zone:
DP Friend Code: 3781 1619 6300
Shoddy Battle Username: Imperial Sword
Background Information: New to competitive battling. I usually just play against my friends.
Aim/way to contact you: AIM, and pming me on Smogon, or PE2K

Last edited by Pires Reach; 09-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:36 AM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
Forum Username: Captain Chaos
Time Zone:
DP Friend Code: 3781 1619 6300
Shoddy Battle Username: Imperial Sword
Background Information: New to competitive battling. I usually just play against my friend.
Aim/way to contact you: AIM, and pming me on Smogon, or PE2K
Accepted. Kevin Garrett is your tutor. His AIM is kggaim.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Fierce Deity Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to Fierce Deity Send a message via MSN to Fierce Deity Send a message via Skype™ to Fierce Deity

This seems to be running smoothly. Kagey and I are still accepting, so sign up fast.

WAR XI Team: .
Old 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Ahlat Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Ahlat

Forum Username:Ahlat
Time Zone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
DP Friend Code:Xelgen 5327 3343 4466
Shoddy Battle Username:Ahlat
Background Information: Had only 5 battles Shoddy and Wi-fi, only won 1. I also only battled my friends hunderds of time and i usally won.
Aim/way to contact you:MSN, Shoddy chat and forum pming
Old 09-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Jose Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jose Send a message via MSN to Jose Send a message via Yahoo to Jose

Forum Username:Joangaes
Time Zone:Center
DP Friend Code:1375-9023-8397
Shoddy Battle Username:Joangaes
Background Information:I really like battling I have some experience but I really want to get better as you limitless I know I need some help with my teams since I'm always making changes so thanks and you know the rest.
Aim/way to contact you:AIM:jage153 MSN:joangaes@hotmail.com