Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Spartan91 Offline

Default Good Tank?

Hello All. Well the title pretty much says it. I'm looking to EV train a Tank but I'm curious as to which pokemon is a good candidate. I've heard (and seen videos) of a blissey with over 700HP at lvl 100! Wondering if that is the route to go. Anyway, if it possible to help me out that'd be great (EVs and moveset would be appreciated) Thanks -Spartan91

If you want to battle or trade i'm always up for it. Just PM me with the details.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Send a message via AIM to Dark Turtwig Send a message via MSN to Dark Turtwig
Default Re: Good Tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan91 View Post
Hello All. Well the title pretty much says it. I'm looking to EV train a Tank but I'm curious as to which pokemon is a good candidate. I've heard (and seen videos) of a blissey with over 700HP at lvl 100! Wondering if that is the route to go. Anyway, if it possible to help me out that'd be great (EVs and moveset would be appreciated) Thanks -Spartan91
Well, you want at least two tanks usually, one for Special Defense, (such as Blissey, everyone's favorite Special Wall) one for Defense, (like Steelix, or Skarmory) or, if you can find one, one for both. (Like Dusknoir.) Dusknoir can have 405 Defense, and 369 Special Defense at level 100. It has quite Pitiful HP though. Another Great Wall is Umbreon. It can have a Max of 394 Special Defense, if you are willing to sacrifice Defense a little, or pretty high Defense, and Special Defense. It has good HP as well.

{Steel Leader in the*Official* Pe2k Gyms} {Dark TurtwigxThe Politoed Hunter}
Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Limitless Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Limitless Send a message via Yahoo to Limitless Send a message via Skype™ to Limitless

In ordinance to walls, it really depends on what your team needs. Some teams don't even need walls, while other teams have a full team of walls. It honestly depends on your team.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Skottles Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Skottles

The ideas DT gave are good ideas but also Bronzong is a good tank for both Def and Sp Def.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 PM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
In ordinance to walls, it really depends on what your team needs. Some teams don't even need walls, while other teams have a full team of walls. It honestly depends on your team.
Yeah, it really depends on what kind of team you plan to build. Tanks are usually put in twos on the teams that are meant to be balanced, or rather the ones that are intended to confront all expected and some unexpected threats. But, many teams can subsist on sweepers and relatively good support Pokemon, such as Stat Boosting Baton Passers like Celebi. I've actually seen a team with several Choice Scarfed Pokemon with a great type combination that solicits the other Scarfed Pokemon to come in easily and sweep when one was in danger. Aside from those, there was simply a Gardevoir for support and a Starmie for backup offense. The team nearly beat me down, especially when Medicham would take Stone Edge and threaten my team with some unpredictable moves, with Gardevoir to help him Wish it off. It was a fallible strategy in some remote ways, but it proves that a team doesn't necessarily need tanks to function; they need them just o be balanced or to stall...

However, my favorite dual tanks are definitely Registeel and Bronzong; they both work extremely well and have so many resistances, it's ridiculous. For special tanking, I recommend Milotic (or Gyarados...it actually works to a certain extent, if you give the effort to the EVs, and Dragon Dance can make it unstoppable), and for physical, I'd say Gliscor or Forretress (Scizor works very well, too, with his only weakness being Fire, great defenses, Agility, Swords Dance, and Baton Pass to pass them off easily)/

My Battle Log
Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Lucky 1276 Offline
Elite Trainer

Tyranitar, Gyrados,snorlax and Salamence are good routes for tanks.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1276 View Post
Tyranitar, Gyrados,snorlax and Salamence are good routes for tanks.
None of those are tanks dude... Those are all Sweepers. (Except for Snorlax. He is kind of a mix.)

Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Fire Away Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Turtwig View Post
None of those are tanks dude... Those are all Sweepers. (Except for Snorlax. He is kind of a mix.)
No, they're tanks alright. A tank is something with decent defenses that can take a hit and then deal one back. Those are probably the best examples I saw so far.

Hi

Old 10-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
No, they're tanks alright. A tank is something with decent defenses that can take a hit and then deal one back. Those are probably the best examples I saw so far.
Tyranitar? A tank? Huh. Never thought. I thought tanks were really just pokemon that were mostly defensve. Like Bronzong, or Registeel, or maybe Cresselia.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Starkipraggy Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Starkipraggy

Quote:
Tyranitar? A tank? Huh. Never thought. I thought tanks were really just pokemon that were mostly defensve. Like Bronzong, or Registeel, or maybe Cresselia.
That's a wall.

Wall: Something that soaks up attacks no problem and sits there. And soaks more attacks. And then pokes you to death. Bronzong, Registeel and Cresselia are walls.

Tank: Takes hits, then fires back really hard hits in the face. Stuff like Metagross, Tyranitar, Rhyperior are tanks.

Mons are here though

私はグレダーです--I am a Grader
Old 10-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Dark Turtwig Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
That's a wall.

Wall: Something that soaks up attacks no problem and sits there. And soaks more attacks. And then pokes you to death. Bronzong, Registeel and Cresselia are walls.

Tank: Takes hits, then fires back really hard hits in the face. Stuff like Metagross, Tyranitar, Rhyperior are tanks.
Oh.. okay. I always assumed Walls and Tanks were the same thing.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 AM
-Holland- Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to -Holland- Send a message via MSN to -Holland- Send a message via Yahoo to -Holland-

Quote:
Oh.. okay. I always assumed Walls and Tanks were the same thing.
Well, it makes sense; in war, a wall is just fortification, but not necessarily a countermeasure, and a tank is relatively well-reinforced, but it carries heavy artillery to decimate its surroundings. Now, Salamence isn't exactly a prime example of this, barring some Infernape and Celebi, but Tyranitar is definitely an excellent tank, especially when he has Dragon Dance or Choice Band to obliterate things with ease. Gyarados is a more prominent example, with the ubiquity of the "Bulky Gyarados" set that goes around and comes around.

Now, I admit to having the terminology wrong, I guess...but my recommendations were walls. Great tanks are more like, as aforementioned, Gyarados, and also Porygon2. Gallade also works to some extent, but it's often a mixed blessing, as his Defense is very low. I recommend Porygon2 for a lot of things, but you should know that he's not necessarily the best at any given thing. His true gift is his versatility and his unpredictability. In a way, he's a lot like Gengar and Celebi, but he has tons of options, and his defenses will always come out looking great. If you want a tank with some insane power, though, then Metagross is usually one of the absolute best, given his sky-high Defense and massive Attack power.

My Battle Log
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Ryperior makes a good physical based tank if you ask me if something more on the physical side of things.

here is move set eves and nature
252 HP 6 Attack 252 Defence
impish
earthquake
stonedge
megahorn
stealth rock/roar
Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 AM
hsb39 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Dusknoir can be an awesome MixTank, has itself a great physical movepool.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb39 View Post
Dusknoir can be an awesome MixTank, has itself a great physical movepool.
With base 65 special attack i do not see how can be a good mix tank with out sacrificing another move for calm mind wich is not worth it, but he is a good tank never the less.
Closed Thread