Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » Third Generation

Third Generation Discuss the third generation Pokemon games: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed and LeafGreen.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:30 AM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

Default Team Help and Hello!

Hello, PE2K!

I'm SuperErinMan, and I'm new here. First post, yay!

And since I'm new, please help me around a little in case I make some big mistakes... I'll get the gist of it eventually.

NOW, moving right along:

I have most of the pokemon games, but by far my favourite is Emerald. So, guess what my first post is about? Emerald teams!

So this is my one of my teams (i specialize in lv 50s):
Oh and I don't track EV's so I'll just say what they're meant to do and good at.

Edited Movesets
Gekkoman (Sceptile male) @ something...
Meant to be special sweeper.
-Leafblade
-Thunderpunch (deal with flying types)
-something other than mega drain
-Dragonbreath

Typhlosion male @ White Herb
Another Special Sweeper
- Flamethrower
- Thunderpunch)
- Overheat
- Swift

Politoed male@ Mystic Water
Special Wall and Attacker, good HP
- Surf
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Heracross male (Yaya!)
Physical Sweeper. Good Special D. too.
- Reversal
- Endure
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

Clip-Clops (Dusclops female)@ lefties
My best wall.
- Shadow punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Mimic (Because it can)
- Curse

Imadragon (Salamence male)
I don't really know why he's here. I guess just because its a dragon.
- Dragon Claw
- Fly
- Flamethrower
- HP Grass

If someone nice could come help me with some constructive criticism, that would be great.

... Yeah I'm not the best guy out there. But who is?

Thanks in advance!

Platinum FC: 2750 9224 1685
*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Im giving up on pe2k. moving on to smogon. maybe back later, not likely.

Last edited by SuperErinMan; 11-21-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Lurking Shadow Offline
Experienced Trainer

Default Re: Team Help and Hello!

Not too sure about the rules myself, other than that apparently thumbs up on not posting on the "Strategies and Movesets" sub-forum thing - it's apparently only for non-in-game team rates, I think.

So... On the off chance nobody else responds... Bear in mind that these are suggestions, I am not exactly the best battler out there, and feel free to ignore my suggestions. On that happy note:

Your Heracross: It only knows fighting moves. I don't think you can really rely on Counter, especially if they use special attacks. Why not use Megahorn? Sure, it's accuracy is kind of low, but it is powerful and hits psychics pretty hard.

Dusclops: I think there might be prejudice against using Curse on ghosts in general, but the AI probably just isn't that bright, so...

Typhlosion: Yeah, taking out HP Fire seems like a good choice. What to replace it with? *Shrug* Thunder Punch again, I suppose, in the case your Sceptile faints...

Salamence: I think there's also prejudice against using Hyper Beam. Also Fly as far as competitive battling goes. Plus you have two Dragon moves. So... In line with Heracross' weakness against psychics, maybe throw in Crunch, Rock Slide because I said so (flying and bugs), and something else.

(Is this for the Battle Frontier? If so, may I ask how far you are, or so to speak? Since otherwise, just about anything works in-game if its level is high enough. X.x Presumably, anyway.)

I think there are other ways to modify your team, but I feel like waiting and see what you and/or others say first. XD

Click picture for personality survey, from "The Cave of Dragonflies."

Last edited by Lurking Shadow; 11-15-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:13 PM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

Alright! My first advice!

Thanks, Lurking Shadow!
I'm definitely gonna take out Counter and replace it. But doesn't Heracross learn Megahorn over level 50...? I'll think of something.

I'm also gonna get rid of Hyper Beam, Dragonbreath and Fly. I didn't really know about EV's and moveset building when I got Salamence, so that explains it. I just went with STAB moves and something to go with his high attack. I'll go with Crunch and Rock Slide if I can get it. Then something unexpected...

I think I'm gonna keep Curse on Clip-Clops (I love that name) because he can stand up to it, plus I normally fight 2 on 2 in the battle frontier so the computers can't switch.

And as for Typhlosion... I was thinking the same thing. I noticed a lot of them had Thunderpunch in the Battle Factory. I never got why. But now I do!

Now. Battle Frontier. I've only got 1 silver symbol, the luck symbol...

...(a tumbleweed blows by)....

But I can hold about 4 tourney wins in the Battle Dome (My next symbol target) before I lose horribly

And I do have a team outside of the battle frontier that I use to battle with my friends, catch other pokes, etc. but I know what I'm doing with them.

One last question: do you know where to get another tm26 (earthquake)? I wasted mine on my Armaldo...

Thanks again!

*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 PM
atucker22 Offline

I'm pretty sure you get EQ where you get groudon in the ruby
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 PM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

That's great! But I don't have ruby, or any friends who have ruby and EQ's tm.

Can't you buy it somewhere, or use battle points/tickets (in colloseum/xd) in some game to get it?

*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Old 11-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Lurking Shadow Offline
Experienced Trainer

Whoops, my bad, you're right, Heracross does learn Megahorn over level 50. X.x
~~~
Before I go on, have you been to Smogon? Amazing Pokemon strategy site, here's the link to the 3rd generation tips.
~~~

Ouch, too bad about using up earthquake. I don't think you can get it in-game outside of having a Pokemon in the level 91+ range with Pickup. Even then, it's extremely rare. (Using Bulbapedia as reference.) What other games do you have, and did you actually get at least 200 Pokemon in your Dex to get a Johto starter?

I like the usage of Curse in 2 on 2 (if only for its novelty, to me at least), but sadly, the Brains just go with 1v1.

Back on Heracross:
Some more questions, if you don't mind - How effective and consistent has the Endure/Reversal combo been for you? Do you have a say, Salac Berry to boost your speed (I don't really like berries, so I don't know if they're used up or "given back" after a Battle Frontier round)?

Sceptile:
Part of me wants to say get rid of Mega Drain, it's probably just not that useful in combat, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. (Sure, restoring HP's nice, but does it really help?)

Dusclops:
Mimic sounds fun to use, but just doesn't seem to cut the cake. Anyway...

Just go and check Smogon if you don't mind going to strategy sites, and go from there.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:24 PM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

Wow... smogon IS good...

I'd heard about it, but I was always too self-confident and thought my ideas were the best (doesnt everyone?)

I've owned every main pokemon game to date(RBY, GSC, RSE, FR/LG and DP)But I've lost a lot of them. My Pearl had all of my best guys!!

And as for the Jhoto starters, I beat Coloseum and then transferred them over. Hooray for Gamecube! If you want one, though, it's not any 200 pokes in the national dex, it's all 200 in the hoenn dex (excluding Jirachi and Deoxys from the count, of course)

Endure/Reversal has been pretty good; I don't use the salac berry, or any other stat-boosting berry for that matter (partially cause I dont have them) but my Heracross is normally fast enough to outrun most opponents. Unless they use quick attack. But it normally doesn't get to the point of that combo- I just keep it as a backup.

Oh, and yes, 1-time-use items (berries or otherwise) are given back in the battle frontier. I tested it with an oran berry

Mega Drain... yeah, I wanted to change that for something like Giga Drain (especially with Overgrow in effect at low Hp) but I talked to the girl you get it from and she wont give it to me. I think I already got and used it...

*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Old 11-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Lurking Shadow Offline
Experienced Trainer

Yeah, well, if it works for you in-game, why bother? Until you go knocking on the doors of the Battle Frontier or go for competitive battling with people around the world.

So yeah, Smogon can have some great tips, but some things it recommends might be too much of a bother to do - I'm not a fan of breeding for Hidden Powers or IV's, but still, the general ideas of what their movesets plan on doing should give you an idea as well.

Sweet, now I can go and test berries in the Frontier now, if it weren't for the slight thing that my team was adapted to go without berries, but still, one less reason not to.

Dusclops - Seismic Toss seems like something you may want in place of mimic. You don't really have any direct damage against normal types like Blissey. Maybe Protect, come to think of it, for leftover recovery while Curse takes a toll (assuming AI doesn't switch.)

I'm really confused now, so you may want to make edits to your original team in your original post if you feel as if the edits make your team better. Maybe put new sets in bold next to original if you want to keep the original ones out there, but whatever.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

alright, I fixed some of the definites (in bold), and left others as ??? in case I havent decided yet.

How does salamence learn crunch? I actually really want that now. If not, then what else could we get?

*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Old 11-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Lurking Shadow Offline
Experienced Trainer

... I forgot about the level 50 thing... Salamence learns Crunch above level 50, I think, and so does Shelgon (looking at Bulbapedia)... Bagon learns it at level 41, o you could always... Train up a new Salamence, just don't let it evolve until then. XD

Another option is to, if you have a heartscale, take it to the move relearner in Fallarbor Town and see if he lets you bypass the system, but I don't know about this.

Otherwise, maybe change Mimic (I think it's just too unreliable, unless it's proven helpful to you?) to Seismic Toss (do something while Curse takes a toll), Protect (Leftovers recovery), or Mean Look (requires retraining Duskull until it learns it at level 45 I think, might want to confirm.)

There's always the option of training all your folks to level 60 to go open level, but that might be a pain. X.x Oh yeah, and you might want to experiment with Hidden Power, see which type / relative strength of your Salamence's HP - it can be fun to mess around with, since you can simply buy it at Slateport City, in the marketplace.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

Dangit!

Dusclops learns mean look at level 51. FIFTY ONE!

Uugh... now that thats out of my system, I think I will go with seismic toss or protect. I'm thinking protect, since dusclops has really bad hp and i already have the tm.

Salamence should have some fun... hidden power it is, if it's a good type!

EDIT: New Pokes

Hissyface the Physical sweeper:
Poison fang
Iron Tail
Glare
Crunch (stupid psychic-types...!)

And Metang, the Overall decent guy:
Metal Claw (Will be replaced with Meteor Mash)
Psychic
Sludge Bomb
Take Down (wondering what to replace with specifically)

*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Last edited by SuperErinMan; 11-15-2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fixing other post
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Lurking Shadow Offline
Experienced Trainer

Hmm... I think it might be a good idea to tailor these specifically to the Brains' Pokemon one at a time... For example, Battle Arena Dome Ace Tucker - as I recall from Bulbapedia, he has a Charizard, Swampert, and Salamence. I'm assuming you don't mind my saying this, since you would have probably found out, anyway. X.x You can look up their movesets as well, if interested.

So, Metagross and Seviper are both down and out against Swampert. XD I don't really like Seviper, not sure if you really need it, and I think it's out sped by plenty of psychics anyway, like Grumpig.

Politoed should be able to take out Salamence and Charizard, and Sceptile should be able to thrash Swampert like no tomorrow. Now, how to cover for their weaknesses? Maybe throw in Dusclops, just because. Well thought out, I know.

Also, I recommend that you give Battle Palace a shot, if you haven't already - you might be pleasantly surprised. I think the Brain has a Slaking, Crobat, and a Lapras. So you could use your own Heracross (Slaking and Lapras), Politoed (for Crobat), and maybe Metagross as well. How can Metagross help in the Palace? Well, if your Metagross chooses wisely, Meteor Mash takes out Lapras and Psychic against Crobat. However, maybe have Metagross learn Rock Slide, which increases the likelihood it chooses a a super-effective move to lash out at them. Of course, you should check with the girl to see how aggressive your Pokemon are. You know who I'm talking about, right?

Again, use this advice at your own discretion, while I increase my post count and slack off from school. X.x

Last edited by Lurking Shadow; 11-15-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Assaundrell Yumerai Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Assaundrell Yumerai

Well there's nothing wrong with that Dusclops.. But I think the Curse attack would be useful especially before your Dusclops faint.

Well, it's just what I think...

Regarding at the Battle Palace, be sure that your selected Pokemon holds an important item.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:20 PM
SuperErinMan Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking Shadow View Post
So, Metagross and Seviper are both down and out against Swampert. XD I don't really like Seviper, not sure if you really need it, and I think it's out sped by plenty of psychics anyway, like Grumpig.
Yeah.... I sort of just picked seviper because it looks cool... and Metagross because I'm also a Steel-type fan

Quote:
Politoed should be able to take out Salamence and Charizard, and Sceptile should be able to thrash Swampert like no tomorrow. Now, how to cover for their weaknesses? Maybe throw in Dusclops, just because. Well thought out, I know.
See I've noticed that Politoed is one of my best guys. Kinda weird, since I was planning on Sceptile or Typhlosion. But whatever

Quote:
I think the Brain has a Slaking, Crobat, and a Lapras. So you could use your own Heracross (Slaking and Lapras), Politoed (for Crobat), and maybe Metagross as well. How can Metagross help in the Palace? Well, if your Metagross chooses wisely, Meteor Mash takes out Lapras and Psychic against Crobat. However, maybe have Metagross learn Rock Slide, which increases the likelihood it chooses a a super-effective move to lash out at them.
GAAAAAASP!??!?!?!!!? HERACROSS-FAVOURING BATTLE??!?!? FOR BP?!

Quote:
Of course, you should check with the girl to see how aggressive your Pokemon are. You know who I'm talking about, right?
I know exactly who you're talking about, don't worry

And as for Assaundrel, thank you very much for your advice. I was planning on keeping curse anyways, to deal with any chanseys/blisseys that I may run into. I lost a 3-win streak at the battle dome yesterday because of it!

*PA-SHWING*
-SuperErinMan

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Lurking Shadow Offline
Experienced Trainer

Well, yes, if your Heracross is a fighter at heart, I think it should fare well against the Palace Brain. (I'm assuming you're in all caps due to excitement rather than dripping sarcasm.) Battle story: When I sent out my Heracross against his Slaking, his Slaking used Swagger, my Heracross hurt itself once, Slaking used Swagger again, then Heracross snapped out of confusion and proceeded to destroy both Slaking and Lapras. Got a bit lucky there.

Assaundrell: Holding a good item is rather useful in every part of the Frontier. Though yeah, I neglected to say just about anything about hold items... Not that I really know what I'm doing with them, anyway. X.x

I have had issues with Double-Teaming Blisseys with Toxic in the past. Not very pleasant. Curse should take care of them nicely, assuming no switching out, of course.

Some other random things you may want to consider: Explosion on Metagross (I think there's a move tutor out there - however, it's one-time use, I think) and Rock Slide on Heracross. Also, Mystic Water = only 10% boost on water type moves in generation III according to Bulbapedia, so maybe get rid of that in exchange for lefties when Dusclops isn't using it/Shell Bell/any random hax item.

Which 3 do you plan on using for each Frontier Brain that you plan on going for, may I ask?