Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Giratina Offline

Default Rock Megaphone {IMPORTANT NOTICE!}

RockMegaphone!!!

...otherwise known as That Fic With The Aerodactyl In It.

This story has been posted here, on PE2K, by Giratina and on fanfiction.net by... Giratina. These users are the same person - me - and are the original writers of the fics. If you see anyone posting this story elsewhere, on any site, whether it be a completely new one or on one of the sites previously mentioned under a different name, please tell me. Thanks!

StuffToNote

This fic will be updated on a rather strange schedule: I have written about ten chapters of the fic already, and those will be posted every Monday until I reach the chapter I'm currently on. After that, they will be posted as they're written. There are not going to be any combined names, like 'Skyfang' or 'Bloodeye' done straight. There will, however, be noun- or adjective-names, as well as made-up names in a few instances. Despite the rising trend, there will be no guest stars in RM, so don't ask. Fanart is appreciated and loved dearly. I went overboard on the font coloring. Got a problem with that?

WithoutAnyFurtherAdo...

Chapter One: A Megaphone of Rock

Cantre stared upwards.

It was certainly a large mountain; far too tall for him to fly over, or even get near the top. The Aerodactyl actually felt a bit intimidated by the giant mountain, but it was evident by the expression on the face of the Vaporeon next to him that she clearly didn’t. Cantre repositioned his wings uncomfortably, wondering what on Earth they were doing here. He had known Shiva long enough that when her response came, he expected it.

“Check it out, Cantre!” She squealed excitedly. “Isn’t this place big?”

“Yes, Shiva,” the purple-gray Pokemon grunted in response. “This place is big.”

“What do you think is in it?” Shiva was beaming.

“A labyrinth that makes you think you’ve gone to a different dimension,” he said calmly, not shifting his gaze from the mountain or skipping a beat.

“What?” Shiva clearly wasn’t expecting this quick response. She stared at her Aerodactyl friend, dark blue head-fins twitching slightly.

“That’s what happened to Caro, Kris, and Helio, wasn’t it?” Cantre replied in the same calm voice, twitching his spade-tipped tail slightly. “You didn’t honestly believe they got turned into humans, did you?”

“Well… yes.” Shiva scrunched her sky-blue brow slightly.

“Really? Well, I didn’t.” With that, Cantre flapped his wings a few times and was eventually able to get into the air. He then met Shiva’s confused look and said, “We’re going in, aren’t we?” Cantre wanted to tell himself that he expected Shiva to declare that they were entering the cave – not to make it seem like he wanted to go in. Cantre had no desire to go in that place, even if it was big.

“Yeah!” The Vaporeon suddenly snapped to attention, her feline body jumping slightly. “Yeah, we’re going in right now!”

Cantre made an extremely strange noise that sounded like a mix between a dubious ‘hmm’ sound and a groan. Shiva padded excitedly into the cave entrance, blue fish-tail swishing like a wrecking ball behind her. Cantre watched the Vaporeon go in, and then followed her into the opening in the rocks.

The dynamic duo weren’t in the labyrinth-cave for long before they came across a fork in the path. Cantre swooped onto a rocky ledge and perched there, suddenly strongly resembling a vulture perched on a tree branch. He acted like one, too; staying silent, watching the Pokemon he was focused on with a straight face and an unwavering gaze.

Shiva stood in the three-way intersection, staring down one path and then the other. She pondered, looked from one path to the other, trotted around sniffing the entrances, making a small ‘mew’ sound and listening to the vibrations, and a variety of other strange gestures.

Cantre didn’t see how this helped. At all.

She eventually made a decision, and padded down the corridor on the right. Cantre swooped in after the Vaporeon, finding no objection in her plan. He honestly had no idea which path to go down, or how Shiva knew which one to follow from her in-depth examination of the rocky corridors.

Evidently, she didn’t either.

A loud scream brought Cantre to a screeching halt. He felt his wings locked in the spread out position for a split second. The feeling was gone a second later as the Aerodactyl instinctively hugged his wings to his chest, and the purple-gray Pokemon fell like a stone.

As he hit the ground with a yelp of pain, Shiva’s blue face appeared out of the semidarkness. His small, dark eyes darted up to meet hers, glaring at the Vaporeon with a fierceness that suggested he was extremely irritated with her.

“What… was that for…?” Cantre groaned, slightly muffled by his mouth being parallel with the floor. He wanted to raise his voice in order to properly get the point across that he was angry, but the physical pain that had coursed through his body like a shock of electricity had sapped all his energy upon contact.

“There’s a monster in there!” the blue Pokemon whined in response, the mane-like, baby blue fin circling around her neck making her look that much more like a monster herself. Cantre rolled his eyes.

“A monster. Really.” He picked his head up off of the ground to allow a range of movement for his jaw, grunting from the effort. The Aerodactyl soon got up onto his feet again, and crouched in that position on his hind legs. “Show me where your ‘monster’ is.” He flapped his wings again, and with some added effort (due to the lack of wind that could usually catch beneath his wings and send him upward) he was soon in his proper place above Shiva’s head.

He took an opportunity to dive for a Golbat that had decided to stare at the odd duo of Pokémon. A quick Thunder Fang to the throat (as was Cantre’s custom – he really enjoyed attacking to the throat, like most members of his species) dispatched the Pokémon quickly.

A few minutes passed, silence broken only by paws on gravel and air on… everything, but Shiva halted again. Cantre kept going and made an intriguing and highly dangerous flying leap onto another ledge, where he turned around to stare at Shiva with his vulture glower, which was guaranteed to make any airheaded Pokémon cower and/or smile, fearing for their life. She was too preoccupied to notice; the Vaporeon was pointing with one small, shaking paw at the inky darkness that was looming about ten feet away. Cantre turned his horned head to follow her directions, but failed to see anything.

“I-it was shrieking!” she complained.

“I didn’t hear anything.” Cantre prepared to take another leap into the air again.

“Well, I did!”

Of course, his attempt at support-less flight failed spectacularly. The Aerodactyl was once more flung to the floor of the cave, letting out another pained grunt. When he opened his eyes, however, there was no monster lying in front of his snout. Cantre tried to focus on the object, but found he couldn’t and brought himself to a crouched position once more. He directed to Shiva with his tail to get herself over to him. Now curious, the blue cat Pokémon padded over to the grounded Rock-type.

“What is it?” she asked.

“This,” Cantre said in a bemused tone, holding up the item he had found on the floor, “is your monster.” Shiva stared at the large screw in Cantre’s clawed wing-hand, a look of disbelief on her face.

“But… it made a noise,” she whimpered at last.

Cantre groaned and flung the screw over his shoulder. “It might have come from a monster of some sort,” he growled, “but it has no life force of its own. I'll bet you five hundred Poké that that thing came from a certain Magneton who came in this place not too long ago.”

Shiva tilted her head to one side. “Do you really think that came from Helio?”

“How should I know?” Cantre growled in his gravelly voice, “Besides, it isn’t important anyway. Helio’s gone. Dead, probably. So are the other two. There’s nothing here – we should take another route.”

He turned around and took to the air for the umpteenth time that day. Shiva glanced at the piece of metal lying on the ground for a second longer, before following him. Shiva walked slowly, taking her time to enjoy the unvarying scenery of a bunch of rocks. They turned back the way they came and took another fork in the corridors.

After a few more extremely uneventful forks in the path (and equally uneventful wild Pokemon KO-fest), it was Cantre’s turn to startle his partner.

“What in the…?” the Aerodactyl said loudly. Shiva jumped and scampered forward to inspect the cause of her normally calm partner’s sudden outburst.

“What happened?” She squeaked. “What’s the problem?” She began to dart towards Cantre. A couple of seconds later, she noticed what he was doing and stopped. The Aerodactyl was staring, slack-jawed, at an opening that revealed another rocky chamber. The chamber was nothing notably interesting – just a bunch of rocks scattered around the floor of a circular cavern – but what was sitting in the center.

Shiva approached the cracked, gray pedestal in the center of the room. “What is it?” She asked, referring not to the platform but what was on it; a megaphone of some sort. She reached her paw out to touch the gray-and-red thing, but a sharp slap to the arm from Cantre soon convinced her otherwise.

“Don’t touch it!” He growled.

Shiva stared at him. “Why not?”

“Because I said so! Don’t you know what that is?”

“I-“

“No, I forgot. Of course you don’t know what that is.”

“Well… what is it?” The Vaporeon turned around to face the Aerodactyl now glaring at her.

“I’m pretty sure it’s an old thing,” he began.

Really? It’s old? Amazing! Shiva thought.

“An old thing that used to belong to my family… well, it did according to my grandfather, at least. I think he mentioned something like this in a story he had.” Cantre shrugged. Shiva stared at him, wide-eyed, so the Aerodactyl continued. “He had this old story about a bunch of items that all had an entire spectrum of amazing powers, and could also give a Pokemon who uses them absolute co…”

And then Cantre tumbled to the ground, out cold.

Shiva panicked, to put it lightly. She screamed loudly and looked around a couple of times, before approaching Cantre’s body. He was still breathing – that was good. After she shook him a few times to no avail, she stared at the thing on the pedestal.

“It can’t hurt that bad to touch it…” Half-expecting the world to crumble around her at any given moment that she wasn't running in the other direction with all speed, Shiva reached out a paw to grasp the handle of the megaphone. She closed her paw around it, and pulled.

Nothing happened. Shiva was now standing in a cave, with her best friend out cold, holding a really weird-looking megaphone with rocks on it. Shiva, now realizing that no great civilization was going to fall because she picked up a megaphone, examined her prize more closely.

It was a cone-shaped object with a handle on it, at the very basics. Of course, this cone-shaped object with a handle on it was striped two colors: one a deep crimson red, and the other gray. The colors alternated along the cone, starting and ending with the gray. The odd thing about it, though, was the accessories: there were gray rocks sticking to the sides of the cone, and a few circled the wide rim.

Shiva was about to make a remark about its odd looks when the pedestal suddenly began to sink into the ground. Petrified, she watched it sink lower and lower. After it had disappeared – melted, almost – into the floor, she was left staring at that area of the floor.

Her apparent fascination with the ground was soon destroyed when a blinding light suddenly shone from an area a few paces ahead.

A few paces forward, there was a square of light that was shining brightly, illuminating the entire cave. Shiva stared at the square as it dimmed. Eventually, Shiva was able to open her eyes again and soon realized that what made the light was, in fact, a large tile with an elaborate design on it. Shiva, realizing what that tile actually was, grabbed the still-unconscious Cantre by the tail and hauled his body and herself onto the warp panel, with the megaphone in her mouth.

Hiding in the darkness beyond view of the two Pokemon, the figure in the cave nodded silently to himself. A concentrated blast of air to sensitive points never failed him before, and they didn’t now.

Hopping deftly off of the small dent in the rock where he was previously hiding, the Scizor made his way for the exit.

-----------------------------------------------------

“So what was that all about, anyway?” Shiva asked, floating lazily in the pool that circled almost the entire interior of Cantre and Shiva’s Rescue Base.

It was the next day, and much to Shiva’s relief Cantre had woken up at his normal time. Because it was their weekly day off (yesterday was a mission to explore a new dungeon) Cantre and Shiva stayed around town all day, and took the opportunity to discuss the odd treasure. The spoil was, at this moment, lying behind Cantre’s nest of straw, dirt, grass, and twigs.

Cantre lay down in his nest, curling his tail and wings around him like a shield. “I told you already,” he said, “It’s an old family thing, Shiva.”

“What do you think it is?”

“Shut up, Shiva.”

“Maybe it summons an ancient Pokemon?”

“Shut up, Shiva.”

“And maybe there are more like it?”

“Shut up, Shiva.”

“And maybe it actually works?”

“Shut up, Shiva.”

“Why do you think it has a handle on it?”

“Shut UP, Shiva!”

Cantre removed one wing from his mini-fort to glare at Shiva. “Do you really want to know that badly?”

“Yes,” Shiva said weakly.

Cantre got on his back legs again, clearly irritated. “All right,” he said with the slightest hint of a sigh in his scratchy voice, “it goes like this…”

GIRATINA'S NOTES: Did you recognize one of the conversations inthis chapter? If not, I advise you backtracked and read the end of Metal Coat again. ;D

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 09-01-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Default Re: Rock Megaphone {Chapter one, GO}

Interesting, I'll admit. Well, I checked it out, like you asked XD

Keep up the good work with your fan fic writing!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

....Where's the guitar? XD

I already think I know where this is going. Shiva has a cute personality-although it's clear she is a bit clueless too XD Cantre-poor guy. He has to put up with her ^^' Can't wait for the next chapter!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Giratina Offline

The guitar hasn't been introduced yet.

Yeah. It says in a little character profile I wrote up for Cantre (as well as the rest of the main cast), that 'Her unending giddiness drives Cantre insane, but he later on warms up to her and her incredibly odd ways… that doesn’t mean he doesn’t still think she’s annoying, however!' So yeah. They're friends, but she can be a real pain to a serious guy like Cantre. Shiva was presented as an 'airhead' and something of a ditz, with optimism to rival Lance's on a good day...

And where do you think this is going? [wants to hear it]

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Giratina Offline

Because I won't be around next Monday (camping trip, woohoo), I'll pst Chapter Two now.

Chapter Two: What Is This Thing Again?

“Alright, here’s how it went.” Cantre started. As he opened his mouth to continue, Shiva got out of the pool and lay down in front of him, smiling.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Waiting for you to finish the story.” Shiva put her head on her paws and looked up at Cantre expectantly.

“Whatever,” Cantre grunted.

“When I was a young Aerodactyl, I liked to listen to my grandfather’s stories. He had this one that he really liked to tell all the time. It was about this item, a certain Rock Megaphone, which apparently used to belong to our family a long time before he was even born. And he explained that it had magical powers of whatever sort. Nobody knew what the powers were, because nobody in the family ever bothered to inspect it closely.

“So I asked why, and he said ‘I guess we were all afraid of it’. I thought that was a fairly legit reason, and let him continue with the story. He always said it was one of a set, a bunch of other things that are kind of like it but not really.”

“Kind of like it, but not really?” Shiva asked. “How is that possible?”

“Well, I mean, they – you know, the other things in the set – had a bunch of powers too, but they weren’t really like that thing…” he pointed to the cone sitting in the corner- “…in appearance. Like they were shaped like other things. My grandpa said that his dad said that he saw one of them a long way away, in some Luxray clan. They said the other thing had a lot of powers too. Theoretically, a bunch of other Pokemon in other places far, far away had one of them in their families, goin’ down through the generations.”

“Alright…” Shiva murmured, “But I still don’t get it. What happened to that thing before it wound up in that big mountain?”

“That’s the catch,” Cantre said, a hint of smugness in his voice. “Nobody knows. It was lost in the folds of time… like it was just forgotten completely by everyone, it wasn’t mentioned again.” Cantre shrugged.

“And why did you faint when you saw it?” Shiva asked innocently.

Cantre stared at her. “Were you not just subject to an explanation of what I thought was a stupid myth?”

“Oh!” Shiva yelped. “Right! That! That… uh… what was it called?”

“People referred to it as a Rock Megaphone,” Cantre grunted.

“Megaphone? Cool! Can I try it?” Shiva dove for the Megaphone, but instead found her face connecting with Cantre’s rock-hard tail.

“No! It’s technically mine, since it came from my family, and I say you can’t touch it!”

“But why?”

“Because you’ll do something stupid,” he retorted, “like making the universe spiral in circles until it blows up or something.”

“What?” Shiva stared at him.

“Something bad, okay? Now don’t touch it!” he snapped.

Shiva rubbed her forehead and walked back into the water. “Geez, sorry.” Though she wouldn’t dare show it, Shiva was beginning to get worried. The Vaporeon slipped under the water, thinking hard. Cantre’s never lashed out at her before, and now that that Megaphone is here he’s getting really angry at her for no apparent reason!

Shiva frowned, and drifted around the circular pool that circled around the inside of their Base. She resurfaced behind the Megaphone.

That thing was flat-out trouble. Cantre had gotten all grumpy and angry and stuff when Shiva asked about the Megaphone; he’s never gotten that mad at her over something so stupid as an item (except for the time when she dropped the Orb they were supposed to deliver and it broke). That thing was trouble and therefore must be dealt with.

But as she stared at it, and then at Cantre curled up in a corner, she began to reconsider her current objective. What if… he just really wanted it? She thought. He did think it was gone for a really long time, after all, and now it was in some old cave… He’ll cool down in a few days. I know he will.

She slowly lowered her body back underwater as the gray, slumped figure of her best friend rose over her head.

A few hours later, Cantre seemed to snap out of his little mood swing of ultimate power (over 9001) and approached Shiva’s pool. He cautiously splashed the water, wincing as the blue, clear liquid touched his skin and seemed to make it burn with pain. He wiped his claw off in a nearby clump of grass as Shiva approached the surface. “What is it?” She asked.

“Do you think we should…” Cantre said slowly, hesitating for a few seconds. “Do you think we should ask Alakazam about the Rock Megaphone? I would think he knows a lot about it.”

Shiva was quite happy that her friend was still talking to her, not to mention offering to bring the Megaphone out in public. “Oh, sure!” She chirped. “That’s a good idea.” She swam over to the shallows near the door, diving down so that only her top fin stuck out from the water like a Sharpedo. “Let’s go.” She got out of the water and waved her fish-tail tauntingly. Cantre followed her out on open wings, and they had proceeded about halfway to town when he realized that Shiva was not moving.

He returned to the ground and asked, “What’s the hold-up?”

Shiva was staring at the Megaphone worriedly. “What if someone sees it? Like, besides Alakazam? I’m going to be carrying a big red megaphone in my mouth, and I don’t know how…” She was cut off by Cantre leaping into the air again, twirling back around, and snatched the Megaphone from her paw.

“All fixed!” He shouted from the sky, with the Megaphone in his talons like a Staraptor and a Wurmple, and continued on his way. Shiva smiled and followed him into the square.

They followed the dirt path, flanked on both sides by long stretches of grass and some trees. Shiva slowed her pace and watched the emerald-green leaves waving gently as the breeze pushed them in one direction or another. Cantre eventually noticed her lagging pace, and made a loud screeching noise that he knew Shiva hated.

The blue Eeveelution jumped visibly, and continued on her way at a swift pace.

“Sorry!” She yelled up to the Aerodactyl, who was going slower than he would do on his own so that Shiva could keep up. Cantre waved his tail in acknowledgement.

As the duo entered the main Pokemon Square, Cantre wasted no time in heading for the northernmost part of town. Shiva trotted along behind him, watching the road ahead and glancing upwards occasionally to make sure Cantre didn’t spontaneously fall out of the sky.

Eventually, Cantre dove down to land on a tree stump near the old Pokémon’s house on the northern side of town, first pausing to drop the Megaphone gently on a particularly large, springy, scarlet-petaled flower. He waited there until Shiva caught up, and then made a gesture towards Alakazam’s front door. Shiva took the Megaphone in her mouth, Cantre leaped down from the stump, and they both waddled towards the door.

Shiva placed the Megaphone on the ground and thumped the door hard with her paw.

The muffled sounds of thumping feet came from the other side of the door for a few minutes. They seemed to be coming at a much faster pace than Shiva and Cantre would expect from the old Alakazam. However, when they opened the door they discovered it wasn’t Alakazam at all.

“Hi, Sata!” Shiva chirped. The Kadabra girl smiled and waved cheerily to her.

“Hey,” Cantre grunted in his gravelly voice, “could we please cut to the chase here? We gotta ask Alakazam something.” Shiva shot him an angry glare, but Sata just laughed and nodded.

“Okay, okay. I’ll get him.” She then ran back into the house, saying ‘Daddy? Some Pokemon are here to see you!’

Cantre drummed his claws impatiently on the mud-brick wall of the giant hut. Shiva found herself relieved of the straw roofing that stuck out over the edges quite a bit; from the look of it, the sun was beating down hard, and she could have evaporated if she stayed still for too long.

Finally, the tan-armored Kadabra returned with her father. Alakazam’s skin was the same color as his daughter’s, but there was more brown-plated armor on it. The Alakazam held its spoons loosely between two of its fingers, swinging them from side to side. “What can I help you with?” He croaked in a voice that bore a strange resemblance to a Croagunk.

“We’ve got… something private to show you,” Cantre quickly whipped a wing over the Megaphone and scooted it towards him, “and we don’t really know all that much about it. I was hoping you could help.”

Sata glanced at Cantre’s wing curiously, but the Alakazam just smiled. “Oh, of course!” He said. “Come in to my library and we can talk in private.” He turned around and led the two Pokemon through the entranceway and into his mud-brick house.

As it turned out, the ‘library’ that he had mentioned wasn’t filled with books at all but was rather a quarry of stone tablets in every variety. Cantre and Shiva looked around in amazement, completely forgetting that it was impolite to gawk at someone else’s stuff. Alakazam was clearly used to this reaction, for his smile stayed on his face as he sat down on a straw mat.

“Sit down,” he beckoned to the duo, snapping them out of their trance.

“Uh, yeah. Right.” Shiva said absentmindedly. She padded over to the mat, circled one spot a few times, and lay down on her side, tail wrapped around her. Cantre put the Megaphone gently in the center of the large mat, and crouched like some sort of gargoyle on one position. They waited patiently for Alakazam to notice the Megaphone on the ground.

When he didn’t, Cantre nodded his head towards it.

“Ah!” Alakazam laughed. “I didn’t notice you put… that… there…” His voice trailed away as he examined the item sitting on the ground. He picked it up carefully, as if it were made of rice paper and could rip to shreds in an instant. He turned it in his hands slowly, his smile fading into that of deep concentration.

“Tell me…” he mumbled. “Where did you find this?”

“In that mountain to the west of town,” Cantre said quickly, giving Shiva no time to respond. “You know the place. With the whole labyrinth setup that seems to change all the time. The rumored Mystery Dungeon.”

“Ah, right, that!” Alakazam laughed. “The place where Caro, Kris and Cy-“ Alakazam stopped short as the word was halfway out of his mouth. Cantre and Shiva shared a quizzical glance, and Alakazam tried to pretend he had just got a spontaneous coughing fit. After doing this for a few seconds, he regained his composure and said, “The place where Caro, Kris, and Helio entered. Yes, there.” He nodded.

Shiva tilted her head to the side, still confused. Alakazam continued as if that error had never happened. “This item here is called a Rock Horn. However, ‘Rock horn’ is just an edited name to make it sound more scientific– the real name is the Rock Megaphone. It is an old item, as old as history itself, which holds the possibility of holding incredible powers.”

He apparently thought that Shiva and Cantre were supposed to be amazed by this, so their blank expressions were met with one of great confusion. “Didn’t you hear me? Incredible powers?”

“Well, I already knew that,” Cantre said. “I’ve heard a million and one legends about this Megaphone from my grandfather when I was a little kid. I know that there’s a bunch of other items like it, hidden in places all over the world, which evidently belong to some really old clans of Pokemon. Really old, like before he was even born old. And nobody really knew what the heck it did because we were all scared of it or something. So then some guy never bothered to write about it, or lost it, or something, and it got lost in history.

“And now it’s in an old cave.”

“Well then, seeing as you know that already…” Alakazam said slowly, “I can’t help you!”

Shiva’s mouth dropped open. Alakazam couldn’t help them? What sort of cruel insanity was this?

Cantre’s inner reaction was pretty much the same, but he skipped all of the disbelief and slack-jawing and just nodded. “Thanks for taking the time to talk with us,” he said calmly. “We appreciate it.”

Alakazam laughed. “Not a problem, not a problem at all!” Cantre took the Megaphone in his clawed wings again, and he and Shiva exited the house. He put the Megaphone on the ground, swooped up and around to get it in his talons, and was immediately heading homeward. Shiva watched him, smiling, and followed.

(vpp da)
Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Giratina Offline

Default Re: Rock Megaphone {Chapter two, GO}

Chapter Three Under Fire

The duo of Exploration Team members (Team Stormfront for future reference) passed the entrance to a large rock quarry. Cantre had gotten tired of flying, and felt like walking would be a bit easier; and also, he would be able to talk to Shiva, who had demanded that she carry the Megaphone.

As they were taking their merry stroll through the Square, Shiva observing the little wonders of the universe and Cantre rolling his eyes at her, the sound of a Pokemon shouting reached their ears. Shiva turned her head the other way, for that was where the sound was coming from, to find three Pokemon heading towards them. Her face paled.

These were not just any Pokemon… they were Sho, Aria, and Belenus. They were Team Overfire, Master rank Exploration Team.

Sho, the leader and Rhypherior of the team, with his powerful stride and even more powerful attacks. Aria the Tropius, with her incredible defensive prowess, persuasive skills, and quick wit. And Belenus, the designated thinker of the team. He was no Goliath (even though he was a Scizor), but his lack of strength was more than made up for by the brilliant plans that he could cook up. This was Team Overfire, Master rank Exploration team, the best in the business.

And Team Overfire, Master rank Exploration Team, the best in the business, were walking towards Cantre and Shiva, looking very excited about something.

The Aerodactyl next to her, of course, had no idea this was happening.

Cantre soon noticed Shiva had once again stopped moving, and figured she had just got distracted by the sun’s reflection on the surface of a pretty pond or something along those lines; it had happened plenty of times before.

He turned around, mouth open and everything, to snap his partner out of it, when his eyes fell on Sho the Rhypherior.

Cantre’s mouth remained open.

Sho was something of a hero to most Rock-type Pokemon. He was an imposing-looking Pokemon with brown, rocky skin, and had the power to back it up. Red plates of armor that almost resembled rocks were strewn around his body; he wore them like an Egyptian drape-hat over his head and down his front. There was also a thick band of red armor around his waist, and on both of his knees and elbows.

Sho had two horns on his head. One of them was stuck between his eyes, and the other on his nose. The nose-horn was rotating slowly. His brown, rocky tail swung slowly behind him, the giant ball on the end easily able to knock the wind out of anything even remotely smaller than him.

“Uh, hello,” Cantre said, gruff voice shakier than usual in the presence of the mighty Pokemon.

“Hello!” Sho chortled back at him, looking down slightly.

They both stood there, staring at each other, for a few long seconds. Sho then took the hint that he thought Cantre was sending: Look away. LOOK AWAY!

His attention darted to Shiva. Cantre wanted to sigh in relief.

“What’s that in your mouth?” Sho asked the Vaporeon, eyeing the Megaphone hungrily and pointing at it with one claw.

Shiva placed the Megaphone on the ground, and was about to speak when Cantre scooted it towards him with his wing. “It’s something that belongs to me,” he said in an uncharacteristic moment of defiance to the giant Pokemon, “and I was just on my way to take it home.” His voice was firm; Cantre did not want Sho touching his Megaphone. Cantre wasn’t quite sure why he didn’t want Sho touching his Megaphone, but he really just didn’t.

“It’s yours?” Sho asked.

“Yes,” Cantre replied, keeping the stony tone of voice.

“Even thought it’s an ancient object, and nobody knows who it should rightfully belong to?” The Rhypherior crossed his arms at this point, believing he had this Aerodactyl cornered.

“It’s mine.”

“May I see it?” Sho asked calmly, not skipping a beat.

“Uh, I guess so.” Cantre scooped up the Megaphone in his leathery wing and held it up to Sho, who took it about as delicately as Alakazam did. Sho tried to hide the shadow of a smile that crossed his face.

“Do you know what you have here?” asked Sho as he was admiring the Megaphone, holding it in various different positions as if examining it. Cantre could have sworn that the Rhypherior had even poked one claw in the hole on the small side of the object.

Cantre sighed loudly and began to recite, once again, what he knew about the Rock Megaphone.

“It’s technical, scientific name is the Rock Horn, but it’s actually called the Rock Megaphone by the ancient Pokemon. It’s a very old item with incredible powers that nobody bothered to examine because they were all scared out of their wits of touching it for fear that the world would explode or that it had a Ninetales Effect or something. This particular thing, the Rock Megaphone, got lost in history and was never heard from or seen at all except for old stories. However, it then turned up discarded in that unsearched Mystery Dungeon over in the west of the town, when Shiva and I were exploring it for a mission. There are different items like the Megaphone, which are apparently strewn all over the world in the hands of different descendants of many different clans of Pokemon. One of them, the wielders of the Rock Megaphone, is my own...”

Meeting Sho’s (and Shiva’s, and Aria’s, and Belenus’) dumbfounded look, Cantre concluded with: “…So yes, I do believe it rightfully belongs to me.”

Sho gawked at him for a moment before the cheery expression returned. “Ah, I see!” He laughed. “So you’ve done your research! Very good thing to do, take research. Well, as you’ve just pointed out, this does rightfully belong to you.” The Rhypherior placed the Megaphone on Cantre’s outstretched wing.

“Thank you.” With that, Cantre turned around again to leave. Shiva followed him, still amazed.

Sho watched the duo leave in silence, and turned to the Tropius next to him. “Who do you think that is, Aria?” He asked, tone getting noticeably darker as he gestured to the Aerodactyl who was now airborne a few yards away.

“I don’t know,” the Tropius said, “but he has the Megaphone. You know what this means? We no longer have to look for it…”

“We simply have to get it out of that Pokémon’s talons.” The Scizor on Sho’s other side, Belenus, concluded with a shrug. “It’s not much harder than finding it in the first place, either. ”

“Exactly.” Sho replied. “Aria, are you up for a little assisted persuasion?”

“Of course.” Her graceful, smooth voice was practically dripping with venom.

Neither Cantre nor Shiva could fall asleep that night.

Around midnight, Shiva got up from her sleep. The Vaporeon floated belly-up in the water, sleeping calmly in a secluded area of the pool. The only entrance was deep underwater, so nobody could get her while she was asleep.

The Vaporeon stepped out of the water and shook herself off, sending small droplets of water flying in every direction. Looking around, she yawned rather loudly. When Cantre moved his head significantly to face her, it occurred to Shiva that he might be awake. She glanced over to him, catching the Aerodactyl’s gaze.

“You can’t sleep either?” She asked softly, padding a few steps closer.

“No.” His voice was as low as hers.

“Well, I’m taking a walk around. You know, outside.” Shiva turned to face the door after catching Cantre’s confused expression, and waved goodbye to him with her fish tail.

“Bye,” he grunted, and curled up into his previous position, eyes facing the wall. He watched the shadow of the Vaporeon leave the shaft of moonlight coming from the door.

Cantre tried to fall asleep, he really did. Failing that, he returned to the train of thought he had been thinking about before Shiva had interrupted him with her loud yawning.

Cantre was thinking about why he joined up with the Exploration Organization in the first place.

He always knew he wanted to be a great member of the Organization, ever since he was a little kid listening to his grandfather’s stories of incredible feats by even more incredible Pokemon.

He wasn’t exactly the most social of creatures, however, so he thought that he would be able to go it alone. To be a lone member and leader of an Exploration Team would hands-down be the absolute greatest occupation in the world. He was thrilled about it.

Well, at least he was thrilled about it until he found out that he wasn’t allowed to be a lone member in a team until he was Gold Rank.

So Cantre figured that he would take up partnership with one of the many other Pokemon in his predicament (those who lost their positions on a team, quit, or got the same idea as he did) and ditch the guy when they got to Gold rank. It was, in Cantre’s opinion, a brilliant idea; not the most considerate of plots to whichever other Pokemon he wound up with, but it got him up into the Gold ranking and that was what really mattered!

Of course, he didn’t count on actually making a friendship with his partner.

Though Cantre and Shiva were only Bronze rank, Cantre had soon after given up his idea of splitting up Team Kamikaze (so called for the terrible natural disaster that had occurred a while ago; there were terrible winds – to symbolize Cantre – and a whole lot of water – that was Shiva, obviously). Though it didn’t seem like it at first, there were quite a few occasions where Cantre would be dead meat had it not been for the cheery Vaporeon by his side.

As he thought back on how clever he thought he was back then, thinking that he could just leave the Pokemon when the two of them were high enough in rank, Cantre felt very ashamed of himself. It was so selfish of him, to think that he could do that and actually get away with it!

And, yet… Shiva’s early reaction to him being on a team with her was very strange. It seemed that the only thing she was interested in doing was proving to Cantre that she could be a good partner to him. He was surprised at this behavior; pleased that she actually cared, but surprised. Why would she try that hard? But Shiva eventually got over that (after much reassurance from Cantre), and they developed a decent friendship.

Didn’t stop him from thinking of her as really annoying, though.

Shiva padded out of the Rescue Base and into the calm night.

She walked along the road in complete silence, stopping every once in a while to watch the scenery shift and change from the winds and moonlight. It was truly beautiful, to her. She walked without knowing it, almost on impulse, to a calm lake. The dark water caught the moon’s reflection as it swished calmly in all directions.

Shiva then hopped in the water and instantly felt much better.

Much time was spent floating lazily around in this water, greatly enjoying every minute of it. She was in such a relaxed state that she didn’t notice the large, lumbering Tropius until its face was a few inches away from her own. Shiva yelped at the sudden and ghostly appearance of Aria’s face, and startled flailing around in the water. Aria took a few steps back, letting Shiva flail around while she remained out of splashing range.

Once Shiva had calmed down, she noticed that it was just Aria and not a violent Grass-type looking for a fight. Shiva drifted to the edge of the water and tried to strike up conversation with the Tropius, who happily agreed.

“What are you doing here?” Shiva asked, putting one paw on the grassy land.

“To ask you something,” Aria replied, her warm smile not fading from Shiva’s frightened splashing. “Do you know about your friend’s Horn?”

Shiva paused. Her face twisted up in confusion. “Wait. Do you mean the horns on his back, or on his head, or… where?”

Aria rolled her eyes, and the smile flickered for a second. “Ah, I’m sorry. I’m referring to the thing you call the ‘Rock Megaphone’. I’d forgotten you didn’t know its proper name, the Rock Horn.”

“Rock… Horn?” Shiva asked quizzically. “What an odd name! It doesn’t have the same ring to it as Rock Megaphone does… wait. Yeah, I know it’s called the Rock Horn. Alakazam said it was just called ‘Rock Horn’ to make it sound more important and scientific and stuff. It’s really called the Rock Megaphone by all the ancient Pokemon.”

Aria sighed. Shiva seemed to be going off-topic a lot. Her smile faltered. “Yes. Anyway, do you know where Cantre keeps it?”

“Yeah,” Shiva shrugged at the Tropius, who was lying down by the lakefront. “He keeps it in the Rescue Base but it’s all guarded and stuff.”

“Oh.” Aria’s wings fluttered slightly in the breeze.

“Anyway, was that all you wanted?” Shiva asked the Tropius, moving even more out of the water so that both of her arms were draped over the shore.

“No I wanted something else, too.” Aria shook her head. “I was going to ask you whether you could…”

“I can what?”

“…whether you could bring me the Rock Horn.”

“Why should I do that?” Shiva drifted a few inches away from shore. Aria was beginning to scare her.

“Because if you do,” Aria continued, “I’ll give you this.” She removed from a pouch around her neck a blue, mosaic thing. Shiva stared at it, mystified, as Aria placed the item down on the ground.

It looked like a musical instrument, a blue thing. It had sea-blue, wavy things that flapped and whirled along a long, yellow rectangle. Etched into the rectangle on both sides were ten hollow holes, which seemed to make a whistling noise as Aria blew gently into them with her mouth and wing-gusts.

Shiva was impressed, mesmerized… almost possessed by the beautiful thing.

“What is it?” she asked softly, still staring in awe at the item.

“It’s called the Aquamonica,” Aria said calmly, “and I’ll trade it to you for the Rock Horn. Bring the Horn whenever you can, and I’ll give you this in return. Don’t worry; it will be in this pouch the entire time.” Aria pointed at the blue silk pouch around her neck as she put the Aquamonica back in.

“Wow…” Shiva said. “Okay.”

It was at this point she noticed the sun was peeking ever so slightly over the treeline. “I’d better get going,” she said to Aria, “or Cantre might wake up without me.”

Aria got up and let her pass on the trail back to their Rescue Base. "Please do make it quick, darling..."

(vpp da)

Last edited by Giratina; 08-26-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Default Re: Rock Megaphone {Oh, great. Now we're UNDER FIRE - Ch3 up}

Mwahaha...I sense deception arrising, meheh.

Good chapter. IZ LONG. Good chapter is good.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Great chapters! I see what you're going with-all the elemental "instruments" (like the Fiery Drum) from the games. Nice.

Cannot wait for the next chapter >;3
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Giratina Offline

Yeah, nobody loves the extra ancient items. D: Spoons of Destiny, anyone?

(vpp da)
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Giratina Offline

Note: I've changed the Team's name from 'Kamikaze' to 'Stormfront', mostly because the latter makes more sense when compared to the more common modern description of 'kamikaze', save for the one in Japanese folklore (a big ol' typhoon).

Chapter Four The Scizor's Son

A few days had passed rather uneventfully.

Cantre got up from his rather comfortable sleeping position, stirred by the ridiculously loud Pelipper delivering their mail.

Did Cantre and Shiva need some silly ‘Guild’ to support them? No, certainly not! They were doing just fine on their own. To the Aerodactyl and Vaporeon, the whole Wigglytuff Guild was just yet another way for the Exploration Organization to bait what they hoped to be rising stars. This strategy was proved to be quite ineffective - the Guild was shut down shortly after Shiva and Cantre became a team.

The Aerodactyl shook his head to rid himself of any leftover drowsiness and plodded out the door to the mailbox. He opened the handle of the box-on-a-stick with one claw, and then reached in to retrieve the missions inside. He flipped through them, much as a regular person would flip through their morning mail, as he slowly made his way back into the Rescue Base with his tail swaying slowly behind.

Shiva was conscious by now, and was sitting in her bed waiting for Cantre to come back with today’s missions.

Cantre entered. He then placed the clump of paper on a more-or-less flat rock and beckoned Shiva over to look at it with him. He had apparently found something in the weekly copy of the Explorer newspaper that he thought Shiva should read, judging by the fact that he pushed all of the other mail over to the side so that the view of the paper was undisturbed by such trivial things as Caterpies in mortal danger.

“Check this out,” he said as he pointed at one of the larger articles with one claw. Cantre tapped the gray claw on the paper as Shiva’s head materialized over his shoulder to see, curious as to what Cantre was talking about. It wasn't often that he had Shiva look at something without explaining thoroughly beforehand. “Belenus - that Scizor - got the boot from Team Overfire, replaced by a Froslass named Jupiter. Apparently he went on a mission and didn’t come back.”

“Jupiter… I don’t know her. Belenus never did seem to do much for the team, though, did he?” Shiva pondered. “I mean, he said himself a while ago that he was more of the... uh... tactician kind of guy and that he wasn’t much use fighting. I guess Team Overfire didn’t see his smartness as quite as useful as a powerful Pokemon…”

“Probably not,” Cantre agreed. “They’ve always been about power, haven’t they?”
Shiva nodded in response. “Yeah, I guess they kind of have been focused more on powerful Pokémon. We should check out the other mail, huh?”

Silently, Cantre set down the Explorer and picked up another piece of mail. He scanned through it, and started a pile on the other side of the rock face. He repeated the process with the other letters, putting some into yet another pile. Shiva read over his shoulder as he sorted through the rescue requests.

“Exploring a new dungeon… we could do this,” he would say sometimes. Or, “That Caterpie got himself lost again?” and the occasional “Nice pay for this one. Check it out, Shiva, they’re offering a Reviver Seed.”

But when he got to the last letter, the steady flow of comments stopped and he was still as a statue, save for the shaking claws holding the letter.

“Look at this, Shiva,” he croaked.

Shiva peered at the letter from over her teammate’s shoulder, and her small jaw dropped.
“B-Belenus…” she mumbled, pawing the letter. “Jag sent out a request to find him? How does he know Belenus is on Blizzard Island?”

Jag, you see, was Belenus’ son and apprentice. He was a Scyther who apparently hadn’t inherited his father’s brilliant mind, and didn’t seem to think ahead all that often. Despite this, he was pretty strong for a Scyther of his age and level and was also extremely loyal. Somehow, Jag knew that his father was trapped somewhere in Blizzard Island and was requesting someone go with him to save Belenus!

“We’d better take this one,” Shiva noted weakly.

“Right.” Cantre read the letter again, and then put it in a pouch around his neck that he used to carry assignments when they were on a mission. “We’d better go find Jag and tell him to prepare.” With that, the duo exited the Rescue Base once more and moved back into Pokemon Square.

It wasn’t a difficult task to find Jag; he was skulking around Pokemon Square where he always was, in a tree - always the same tree, the one sitting on the south end near the Dojo - working on a giant maze that his father had carved out of stone. Despite his participation, his eyes frequently wandered from the admittedly boring mind puzzle in favor of staring at whatever everyone else was doing.

Shiva waited at the base of the tree, while Cantre leaped into the air and landed on the tree branch where the Scyther was perched. This was made slightly less effective in the long run, however, as Jag got so startled that he fell out of the leafy cover and onto the ground.

Shiva broke his fall.

“What was that for?” Jag shouted at Cantre. “I’m in the middle of something important here!”

“Well, excuse us for offering to help you find your father,” Cantre remarked irritably. He wasn’t in the greatest of moods that he had messed up the landing like that, and Jag’s rather pessimistic attitude wasn’t helping.

“What?” Jag squeaked, his voice getting considerably higher in pitch. “You got the letter? You?”

“Yes…” Shiva moaned from under the Scyther. “We got the letter…”

Jag suddenly noticed that he was on top of the Vaporeon and hopped to his feet immediately. “I’m sorry!” he trilled.

Shiva took a few gasps of air and responded, “It’s fine. I’m fine, really.”

Cantre hop-soared out of the tree; he made a better landing on the ground this time. “Yes, we’re here to respond to your request about finding Belenus.”

“You are?” Jag smiled, his spirits lightened considerably. “Thank you!”

Cantre nodded. “You’re welcome. But… how did you know he’s on Blizzard Island?”

“I asked Sho,” Jag explained. “See, Belenus had volunteered to go on a mission to Blizzard Island alone, and Sho let him after some attempts to keep him safe by staying home. Dad insisted on going alone to rescue the Pokemon – Sho didn’t tell me which one it was - and he didn’t actually come back after that. I asked Sho where he was a few days ago, he said that Dad was off somewhere in Blizzard Island. So I sent out a rescue request for someone to go find him… obviously, someone did.”

“When did he offer to go?” Shiva asked.

“Few days ago,” Jag replied. He was beginning to get misty-eyed at the thought of talking about his father. “Look, can we please just go and find him now?”

“Yeah.” Shiva nodded. “You probably don’t want to talk about it. Well, sunlight’s burning…” Shiva looked over to the edge of Treasure Town, where a road snaked behind some trees and disappeared.

Cantre led Shiva and Jag out of Treasure Town and to the Crossroads.

The Crossroads was almost exactly what its name implied; a big road snaking out of Treasure Town, which split into countless forks leading in all sorts of different directions (some even went underground!). To the north was the infamous Wigglytuff’s Guild; it had been shut down a while ago due to a majority of the Exploration Federation voting that each team should have their own base.

Passing the old shell of a building, Cantre led Shiva and Jag up a path that wound up the mountain…

Shiva was absolutely wiped out.

Even though Jag and Cantre could fly over and across the ocean, Shiva's option of swimming across the giant water puddle herself wasn’t quite as simple as the Flying Pokémon’s available alternatives. Jag had to stop every once in a while, as his wings weren’t quite as developed as Cantre’s were, but quickly got back into the air again. The Scyther would usually just rest on a conveniently-located rock.

Or a conveniently-located Vaporeon. Whichever one was more readily available (usually the Vaporeon).

Finally, Shiva was onto dry (and also very cold) land. I’d never have thought I would have been this happy to get out of the water, she couldn’t help but think. They were quickly whisked away into the forest, and many Max Elixirs (and repeats of the question ‘You’re sure Belenus is here?’) later the trio of Pokemon had reached the fourteenth floor of the Crevice Cave.

“There’s only one floor past this one,” Jag said, peering down the staircase to the dark nothingness below it. “He has to be down there, or else Dad just left Blizzard… Island…” His voice slowly got softer until it wasn’t much more than a weak whisper in the rocky labyrinth.

“Do you hear anything?” Cantre asked Shiva, knowing that her sense of hearing was far better than his own.

The Vaporeon closed her eyes and focused hard on hearing anything moving down in the floor below them. “The snow makes it hard to tell, but I think I hear… wind,” she said at last. “Yes, I think it’s wind. I can faintly hear wind swirling around down there.”

“No idea what that could be…” Cantre murmured honestly, directing a few Fire Fangs (assisted from menacing-sounding hisses courtesy of Shiva) at a pesky Glaceon who had wandered over to see if it could hurt the travelers for kicks. The Glaceon screeched and ran away as Cantre continued his musing.

“But we’d better look anyway, because there’s still a chance he’s down in there.” He returned to the ground with a soft thump. He glanced around at Shiva and Jag, who’s expressions were flicking from the hole in the ground to his face.

“Who’s going first?” Cantre asked after a short pause.

“Not me!” Shiva and Jag chimed in unison.

Grimacing, Cantre plodded over to the hole in the ground and began to descent the staircase that was leading downwards. Shiva and Jag followed his lead, all of them trying their hardest not to slip on the icy floor and send the entire team to the ground in a grumbling heap. This didn’t happen, thankfully. Finally, they successfully maneuvered to the ground.

Jag was the first one to scream.

(vpp da)
Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Another great chapter, Giratina! Keep up the good work, me pallo!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Giratina Offline

Default Re: Rock Megaphone {The Attitude Issues of THE SCIZOR'S SON - Ch4 up}

83 Thanks, MS~

Actually, I'm considering putting Rockphone on hiatus. I've got about... hmm... six chapters saved on my computer, and they're running out fast. I just can't bring myself to write PMD fic lately... or PMD fic at all, actually. Rock Megaphone was really just an attempt to get into PMD fanfiction, and I'm trying, but... the muse is gone and very hard to find at this point in time. I am, however, feeling very up to some good old-fashioned Trainerfic and actually have one in the works right now.

So, I'm asking your opinions... should I continue with 'Rockphone or put it in a state of temporary hiatus?

(vpp da)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Dr Robotnik Offline

I personaly say you should continue it. My suggestion for getting over writers block; get themes for the characters, find a dark room, get relaxed, and listen to that music for however long is needed. That's what I do.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Quote:
I’d never have thought I would have been this happy to get out of the water, she couldn’t help but think.
You might want to italicize that so others know Shiva is thinking to herself. It makes it more pleasing to look at, and also flows smoother.

As for the hiatus...It's up to you. I mean, if you don't have inspiration right now, you could...But leaving everyone on a cliffhanger for weeks isn't really fair XP
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Giratina Offline

I'm not going to leave you guys on a cliffhanger, I assure you. I'll wait until I post a chapter that isn't a cliffhanger to make my decision.

(vpp da)