Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Battles » Tournaments

Tournaments URPG Tournaments will be created and held here. No tournament may be started without authorization from an officer.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Fenix Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Fenix
Default Re: Dream Tournament - First Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
Just wondering, why did around 14 people get a bye? :x
I was wondering this too, it doesn't make sense at all that an even number of people would get a bye when they could have just played one another. Byes are usually reserved for when there is an odd number of people and it doesn't work out that everyone can have an opponent... :\
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Brizer Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
I was wondering this too, it doesn't make sense at all that an even number of people would get a bye when they could have just played one another. Byes are usually reserved for when there is an odd number of people and it doesn't work out that everyone can have an opponent... :\
14 people got BYEs because the bracket was a 64 person bracket, which left a certain amount of spots open. a 32 person bracket cn't be use, tand the nextlvel up is a 64 person bracket. Where would the remaining 14 people en up after battling? In a completely different bracketing? Its to complicated. This is how its done in sporting events, and the the first round often has many BYEs.

Near: Brizer, I NEED YOU ...damnit. Wow that sounded pretty gay
URPG Stats
Old 07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Psyduck Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Psyduck Send a message via Yahoo to Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizer View Post
14 people got BYEs because the bracket was a 64 person bracket, which left a certain amount of spots open. a 32 person bracket cn't be use, tand the nextlvel up is a 64 person bracket. Where would the remaining 14 people en up after battling? In a completely different bracketing? Its to complicated. This is how its done in sporting events, and the the first round often has many BYEs.
Your confusing me...there are 46 people. Not 64 and not 32...The remaning 14 people would end up battling the other people in the next round after they had finished up their battles, obviously. I don't see why we need to leave such a huge space when we could have the tournament be shorter by making all 46 people battle each other and then 23 and so on...
Giving a bye or two when needed...The battles are being done at a fast enough pace anyways...

This stuff confuses me...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

WOAH 14 byes? :ooo

46 - 14 = 32. That makes 16 winners go through to round two. However, there's the 16 and then the 14 that got byes. So it'd make 30 in the next round. Sorry Marth-san, but I think you messed up your math here.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

iamnotyou11 (00:41:35): scrotom?

ASB|URPG

Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancy View Post
WOAH 14 byes? :ooo

46 - 14 = 32. That makes 16 winners go through to round two. However, there's the 16 and then the 14 that got byes. So it'd make 30 in the next round. Sorry Marth-san, but I think you messed up your math here.
Yes 14.

Why the hell do you think we're all complaining. :/

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via MSN to Mitsuzo-kun Send a message via Skype™ to Mitsuzo-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiizu-bozu View Post
Yes 14.

Why the hell do you think we're all complaining. :/
LOUISE STOP :/ING AT ME. ;_____; It's not my fault. :|

~*~*

3v3
Revo
Helds Allowed
Normal Terrain
Stuff Clauses :3

Adrenaline VS Dragoness

Jolteon, Starmie, Infernape VS Gengar, Porygon-Z, Metagross

Adrenaline wins and gets $2,000 + Proceeds to Round Two
Dragoness loses and gets $1,000 for putting up a pretty damn good fight.
I get $2,000 :3
If you hadn't noticed, I'm inactive at the moment due to school and the like. If you need anything, drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP, I try and visit every couple of days. Activity will pick up when there's a school break, I promise. D:

ASB|URPG

Last edited by Mitsuzo-kun; 07-23-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: k apparently i get 2000 for reffing instead of 1500 :3
Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

30/2 = 14 Winners (One person doesn't battle but goes on)

14/2 = 7 Winners (But 8 people move on, adding the one person who didn't battle)

8 people move on. 8/2 = 4 winners, 4/2 = 2 winners, and that would be the semi-finals.

I dunno if this is how Marth planned to do it or not. It's just something I got if we use the 14 byes and the 16 winners. And don't laugh if it's not even right or anything, cuz my math skills phail horribly.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

That's what would happen if 46 people went against each other with no byes in the first round. You end up with a three person final. (I hand made that on Paint).

Which goes to show that to get a 2 person final, the amount of people in the first round needs to be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc... (double it every time).

I'll make an image to prove this when I come back on :o
Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Brizer Offline
PE2K Website Staff

It makes total sense. I guess I didn't explain it well before. Since the only 2 usable evenly spaced brackets are a 32 person and a 64 person, and because we have more than 32, we have to use the 64 person bracket. Which would leave openings. It makes sense to me, they use this format at all of the highly ranked sports competitions and stuff. A lot of people get BYEs in the first round of almost every tournament. I was at a fencing tournament in the Ukraine once, and 127 people got first round BYEs :O

Near: Brizer, I NEED YOU ...damnit. Wow that sounded pretty gay
URPG Stats
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Mitsuzo-kun Offline
teehee
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
Which goes to show that to get a 2 person final, the amount of people in the first round needs to be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc... (double it every time).
I think everyone kinda knew that. :3

And yeah, ending up with three in the final and having everyone battle everyone would work out good for the prizes, since there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. Tbh, I think Marth should just make everyone battle so we end up with a three person final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizer View Post
It makes total sense. I guess I didn't explain it well before. Since the only 2 usable evenly spaced brackets are a 32 person and a 64 person, and because we have more than 32, we have to use the 64 person bracket. Which would leave openings. It makes sense to me, they use this format at all of the highly ranked sports competitions and stuff. A lot of people get BYEs in the first round of almost every tournament. I was at a fencing tournament in the Ukraine once, and 127 people got first round BYEs :O
But then there's the 16 that win their battles, and the 14 that got byes. So it still doesn't make the numbers right for round 2.

ASB|URPG

Old 07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Psychedelic Shroomish Offline

Send a message via AIM to Psychedelic Shroomish

3v3
Revo
Helds Allowed
Normal Terrain
Stuff Clauses :3

bryceBAM VS Loyal Kingdra

Aerodactyl, Yanmega, Scizor VS Solrock, Salamence, Scizor

Choice items really screwed LK over.

Bryce wins and gets $2,000 + Proceeds to Round Two
LK loses and gets $1,000 AND IS ELIMINATED
I get $2,000 :3

btw, ask me to ref any of your tourney battles.

Last edited by Psychedelic Shroomish; 07-23-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Spiderc Offline

Send a message via AIM to Spiderc

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Adam- View Post
Marth, you forgot to add me ):
I'm not on the list on the sign up thread, so i know I didn't get a bye D:
same here... :(

i'm not on the sign up thread either
Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancy View Post
But then there's the 16 that win their battles, and the 14 that got byes. So it still doesn't make the numbers right for round 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer View Post
30/2 = 14 Winners (One person doesn't battle but goes on)

14/2 = 7 Winners (But 8 people move on, adding the one person who didn't battle)

8 people move on. 8/2 = 4 winners, 4/2 = 2 winners, and that would be the semi-finals.

I dunno if this is how Marth planned to do it or not. It's just something I got if we use the 14 byes and the 16 winners. And don't laugh if it's not even right or anything, cuz my math skills phail horribly.
Jess's math was right, that's a perfectly reasonable way it could end. And traditionally in tournaments you don't have Round Robin endings, you find third place by having the two losers of the semi-finals against each other, winner gets third. That way prevents ties.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Marth Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marth Send a message via Yahoo to Marth

People, people, there's a reason of why I'm using this software. It does all the math for you.

I wanted to do this at the BEGINNING of the tournament so we'd move in a perfect, 32 man, and also, to give a bye at the beginning of the tournament (when the opponents are supposedly weaker) than at the final match, where you are getting a bye against one of the final contestants.

However, I did miss some sign-ups, namely:
-Adam
-sammy0295's
-SpiderC.

Thus I have had to add them to the tournament, manually. So 3 people who got a bye won't get it now, heh. Fortunately, the software allows me to add late contestants. These NEW MATCHES will be:
-Adam vs. Tyranitar Trainer.
-SpiderC vs. Atarobot
-Psyduck vs. Sammy0295

I will post the new matchups in the first post. Everything left is unchanged.
Also, I'll try to post how the brackets look. It will take some time though.
BlueJelloJelly (12:00:35): What, you going to kill me with your Wynaut?
ClockKnight (12:06:07): bidoof use take down on wynaut
ClockKnight (12:06:50): wynaut use counter!
ClockKnight (12:06:58): ko
StunkyLupus (12:07:04): OWNEDDDDDDD
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Psyduck Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Psyduck Send a message via Yahoo to Psyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marth View Post
People, people, there's a reason of why I'm using this software. It does all the math for you.

I wanted to do this at the BEGINNING of the tournament so we'd move in a perfect, 32 man, and also, to give a bye at the beginning of the tournament (when the opponents are supposedly weaker) than at the final match, where you are getting a bye against one of the final contestants.

However, I did miss some sign-ups, namely:
-Adam
-sammy0295's
-SpiderC.

Thus I have had to add them to the tournament, manually. So 3 people who got a bye won't get it now, heh. Fortunately, the software allows me to add late contestants. These NEW MATCHES will be:
-Adam vs. Tyranitar Trainer.
-SpiderC vs. Atarobot
-Psyduck vs. Sammy0295

I will post the new matchups in the first post. Everything left is unchanged.
Also, I'll try to post how the brackets look. It will take some time though.
So Ataro is back in the tournament and we both have to battle again? (Not against each other...)