Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Calypso
Default {Pokémon Moveset Thread}

*May contain possible spoilers for dub-only viewers*

We know the writers have been pretty generous with the distribution of new attacks this saga, with even the seldom seen Sudowoodo learning Hammer Arm in a recent episode. So, my question is, which attacks for the main cast’s Pokemon would you like to see happen, or think is the most probable in the foreseeable future?

Oh, and limit yourself to the moves they actually learn in-game, which means no suggesting anything too outrageous like Grotle with Fire Blast. :P

I’ll start off: (additions listed in italics)

Pikachu – Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Volt Tackle, Thunder, Quick Attack, Brick Break/Signal Beam, Protect
Pikachu needs a more coverage than the generic Electric and Normal type moves, and Iron Tail is pretty stale now. As much as I’d like to see a flying rat by giving it Magnet Rise, I think Brick Break, or Signal Beam seem the most plausible. Protect is also a possibility, since he may want to emulate Paul’s strategy after his embarrassing loss to him in DP130.

Buizel - Water Gun, Aqua Jet, SonicBoom, Water Pulse, Ice Fang
I find it a little strange they decided to implement “Ice Aqua Jet” into its roster, rather than just giving it a reliable Ice-type move, since the former all depends on the Pokemon Buizel’s battling. Ice Fang’s animation was pretty fun to watch in the Pastoria gym battles, despite it being a Takeda-directed episode, so it would be a welcome addition imo. Ice Punch could also work fine, I suppose.

Staraptor – Wing Attack, Whirlwind, Gust, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Close Combat, Heat Wave/Twister/Ominous Wind
Staraptor’s moveset is already fairly vast, and surpasses Swellow’s immensely. I actually think it’s sufficient as it is, but the last slot is just for some quirky move tutor option. Heat Wave would probably be a little redundant since Monferno is present, but the latter two would both be interesting to toy around with.

Grotle – Bite, Razor Leaf, Tackle, Synthesis, Energy Ball, Leaf Storm, Curse
Curse has yet to debut in the anime thus far, and seems fitting for Grotle, considering his established role as a “tank.” Leaf Storm to expand beyond the standard Razor Leaf.

Gliscor – X-Scissor, Fire Fang, Sand-Attack, Steel Wing, Screech, Earth Power
Earth Power as an alternative to Earthquake, since I’m pretty certain it’s banned from the anime following the Barboach/Whiscash episode. I don’t see it getting much else, since it’s already learned two new moves since its capture.

I'll finish the rest later.

Last edited by Calypso; 07-30-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus
Default Re: {Pokémon Moveset Thread}

Pikachu – Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Volt Tackle, Thunder, Quick Attack, Brick Break/Signal Beam, Protect
I really do not see Ash teaching Pikachu Protect because it does not fit ash's style
Also i highly doubt Ash is going to let Pikachu forget Iron Tail
Signal Beam doesnt really seem to fit the moveset and Brock's Croagunk already knows Brick Break, making another pokemon learn Brick Break seem odd
Buizel - Water Gun, Aqua Jet, SonicBoom, Water Pulse, Ice Fang/Ice PunchIce Beam
True i do believe that Buizel knowing Ice Aqua Jet instead of knowing just a plain ice attack is strange but i think that Ash might teach Buizel a special ice type move over a physical one
Staraptor – Wing Attack, Whirlwind, Gust, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Close Combat, Heat Wave/Twister/Ominous Wind
Staraptor's moveset is fine, save some questionable moves, so i think staraptor should keep most of the moveset it knows.
I agree with the suggested moveset but ill add some ideas when i edit this post in future
Gliscor – X-Scissor, Fire Fang, Sand-Attack, Steel Wing, Screech, Earth Power, Night Slash, U-Turn
Have to agree with this but strike has got to go. I have yet to see Night Slash or U-turn in the anime (at least the dub).
Until Calypso adds more, this is what i have to say so far.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Calypso Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via MSN to Calypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcemegus View Post
I really do not see Ash teaching Pikachu Protect because it does not fit ash's style
Also i highly doubt Ash is going to let Pikachu forget Iron Tail
Signal Beam doesnt really seem to fit the moveset and Brock's Croagunk already knows Brick Break, making another pokemon learn Brick Break seem odd
Buizel - Water Gun, Aqua Jet, SonicBoom, Water Pulse, Ice Fang/Ice PunchIce Beam
True i do believe that Buizel knowing Ice Aqua Jet instead of knowing just a plain ice attack is strange but i think that Ash might teach Buizel a special ice type move over a physical one
Staraptor's moveset is fine, save some questionable moves, so i think staraptor should keep most of the moveset it knows.
I agree with the suggested moveset but ill add some ideas when i edit this post in future
Gliscor – X-Scissor, Fire Fang, Sand-Attack, Steel Wing, Screech, Earth Power, Night Slash, U-Turn
Have to agree with this but strike has got to go. I have yet to see Night Slash or U-turn in the anime (at least the dub).
Until Calypso adds more, this is what i have to say so far.
Pikachu - What defines what “fits” a moveset. I think Signal Beam would actually add the range Pikachu requires. Also, you described two Pokemon having the same attack as “odd” - Buneary knows Ice Beam, but you suggested the same for Buizel. :P

Buizel - Ice Beam is the generic Ice-type move; I’d honestly prefer a little more uniqueness. Besides, all but Aqua Jet in that list are considered special, hence why I suggested Ice Fang.

Staraptor - It already knows Whirlwind and Gust; the only additions I made were the ones in italics.

Gliscor – Pokemon rarely forget moves, so I don’t see why you’ve removed Screech. And Night Slash was used in DP100: “Aiding The Enemy,” which actually has aired in the dub. :]
Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post

Pikachu - What defines what “fits” a moveset. I think Signal Beam would actually add the range Pikachu requires. Also, you described two Pokemon having the same attack as “odd” - Buneary knows Ice Beam, but you suggested the same for Buizel. :P

Buizel - Ice Beam is the generic Ice-type move; I’d honestly prefer a little more uniqueness. Besides, all but Aqua Jet in that list are considered special, hence why I suggested Ice Fang.

Staraptor - It already knows Whirlwind and Gust; the only additions I made were the ones in italics.

Gliscor – Pokemon rarely forget moves, so I don’t see why you’ve removed Screech. And Night Slash was used in DP100: “Aiding The Enemy,” which actually has aired in the dub. :]
so i did but i think that signal beam would be better for pokes that get STAB from Signal Beam and i highly doubt ash is going to suddenly find a tutor to have pikachu learn signal beam.

I say make Buizel a special sweeper. It has the moveset and some speed to follow

Still I say staraptor is fine with the moveset it knows now

And yet i watched the episode where Honchkrow used the move . I still have yet to see the move U-Turn though so adding that to Gliscor's arsenal would work fine (cant spell at 4 in the morning)

You STILL havent finished? Naughty Naughty