PDA

View Full Version : help with set ( not noob, but just getting competitive)

heliod001
10-27-2010, 01:12 AM
ok so you guys sorta seem to know, least more than me, about pokemon just looking at a glance any changes or something im not doing with my set?

scizor- aerial ace, x-scissor, roost, secret power, swarm
magnezone- lock-on, zapcannon, mirror coat flashcannon, magnetpull
empoleon- toxic, dig, surf, drillpeck torrent
bronzong- trickroom, extrasensory, grassknot, confuse ray, heatproof
drifblim- baton pass, shadowball, stockpile, subsitute, unburden ( maybe trade shadoball for roost
alakazam- psychic, recover, reflect, lightscreen, synchronize

my usual tactic is high defense, high special attack. usually start with drifblim, sub, stock, baton to alakazam, reflect, light screen, (recover if needed) then switch back to drif then to bronzong for trick room,then ect.

pkmnrulz
10-27-2010, 01:37 AM
ok so you guys sorta seem to know, least more than me, about pokemon just looking at a glance any changes or something im not doing with my set?

scizor- aerial ace, x-scissor, roost, secret power, swarm
magnezone- lock-on, zapcannon, mirror coat flashcannon, magnetpull
empoleon- toxic, dig, surf, drillpeck torrent
bronzong- trickroom, extrasensory, grassknot, confuse ray, heatproof
drifblim- baton pass, shadowball, stockpile, subsitute, unburden ( maybe trade shadoball for roost
alakazam- psychic, recover, reflect, lightscreen, synchronize

my usual tactic is high defense, high special attack. usually start with drifblim, sub, stock, baton to alakazam, reflect, light screen, (recover if needed) then switch back to drif then to bronzong for trick room,then ect.
there are a problem.
-what are the ev's,nature,item, and what tier is this for?i can't really help you with what little information you give us.

heliod001
10-27-2010, 03:29 AM
there are a problem.
-what are the ev's,nature,item, and what tier is this for?i can't really help you with what little information you give us.

lol see, im not new to pokemon, just never have been competitive and i really want to start battling others thru wifi, but dont know what ev's are or what tiers there are or what natures mean and do, but here are the natures and the items atm.

magnezone- serious-none
scizor- rash- shellbell
empoleon- mild- razorfang
bronzong- calm- wiseglasses
drifblim- timid-spelltag
alakazam-quiet-odd incense

im playing on platinum and dont have any other game atm and i dont want to use cheats, im ok with breeding.

MoonKit
10-27-2010, 04:29 AM
You must be new to Pokemon, not knowin what Ev's are. But really, he missaid it. It's Iv's at this point.

NTT
10-27-2010, 07:55 AM
You're going to have to start again. Pokemon that have gone through an entire game playthrough are never going to work in online play. One of the most vital aspects of building a competitive team is something called EV training, which involves battling specific Pokemon so that certain stats raise higher than ones that you don't need to by gaining effort points (EVs for short). Since there's a cap on how many EVs a Pokemon can have and the fact your Pokemon are going to have battled anything and everything, the EVs are going to be distributed randomly and be largely useless in a lot of cases. Most of your natures are appalling by competitive standards too, for example Quiet nature reduces Alakazam's speed by 10% where he really needs modest or timid to boost good stats at the expense of his unneeded Attack stat.

Head to this link (http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/) to learn more about competetive battling and what's necersarry to do well in it.

heliod001
10-28-2010, 12:53 AM
to tokyokit- im not new to pokemon as stated up above, played since red and blue versions. just new to competition. so these newer pokemon games with natures and effort points are... newer to me.

to NTT- thx, youve been a help. should i start over or complete platinums national pokedex and start from there?

Coddleflop
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
You need to either;

A: Get a new team of non EV trained pokémon. That way you can EV train them successfully and have the EV's in the correct stats. As NTT said, this team's EV's are probably all over the place, and that isn't good for competitive.

OR

B: Find the berries which lower EV's and increase happiness. You'll need a lot, but that way you don't have to train your team back up to level 100, which you will need to if you choose method A.