PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Black City/White Forest?

Kamoosekazi
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Ugh... why would they put something so lame as Black City and White Forest!?

I understand the need to cause kids to interact, however I'm 23 and it's kinda hard for me to find people near me that will play pokemon with me on a personal level.

I play Xbox games too, which is where my of my IRL friends reside in the gaming world, Nintendo DS is a small few and, unlike in Japan, it's hard to find people into anime and pokemon that I can tolerate =/

I've never even been able to use the Union room or the Underground effectively. Pretty much all these direct link abilities within the games should be able to be used via wi-fi as the pokemon community is still rather small (this forum alone is prob the biggest I've encountered, and by word of mouth is slowly building back up again).

As much as I approve of Pokemon trying to go out there and get kids to come together in the real world instead of online, there should be more options given. I personally don't see much of this happening in the beautiful San Diego County, CA, USA

Zan Sabrefang
04-08-2011, 07:49 AM
You're in Cali?
At least you have the occasional event to do this kind of thing.
The most we get in the UK is legendary monsters from GAME.
We haven't had a Con-type event here since Gold/Silver were first released.
And by Con I mean a few tables put together in the middle of our shopping centre for unofficial battling and playing tcg while you collected Celebi.

Back on topic, however;
It's not very useful to a lot of people, but for those who can use it effectively it's not a bad feature at all.

Kamoosekazi
04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
You're in Cali?
At least you have the occasional event to do this kind of thing.
The most we get in the UK is legendary monsters from GAME.
We haven't had a Con-type event here since Gold/Silver were first released.
And by Con I mean a few tables put together in the middle of our shopping centre for unofficial battling and playing tcg while you collected Celebi.

lol, yest his is true... poor UK :(
Don't they have a few things going on in France in stuff at times? I"m not accustom to the ways in EU, however all my friends that have been have told me that inter-country travel is quite simple over there since everything is relatively close. Not so sure how things work coming from the isles of the UK though =/

the problem with our Cons is they have exploded with 'faux-nerds' (apparently being a nerd is 'cool' now, so everyone seems to be finding ways to be a nerd, Twilight and some graphic novels turned into movies have seemed to increase the numbers of 'faux-nerds') the past few years. Thus rendering us actual nerds incapable of attending -.-

I've missed last year's SD Comic-con and I'll be missing this years too due to everything selling out on day 1 of ticket sells.

I wish I lived in New York where they actually have a Pokemon Center -.-

Mr420
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
lol, yest his is true... poor UK :(
Don't they have a few things going on in France in stuff at times? I"m not accustom to the ways in EU, however all my friends that have been have told me that inter-country travel is quite simple over there since everything is relatively close. Not so sure how things work coming from the isles of the UK though =/

the problem with our Cons is they have exploded with 'faux-nerds' (apparently being a nerd is 'cool' now, so everyone seems to be finding ways to be a nerd, Twilight and some graphic novels turned into movies have seemed to increase the numbers of 'faux-nerds') the past few years. Thus rendering us actual nerds incapable of attending -.-

I've missed last year's SD Comic-con and I'll be missing this years too due to everything selling out on day 1 of ticket sells.

I wish I lived in New York where they actually have a Pokemon Center -.-

quoted for truth, i cant remember how long its been snce my last comic Con. but back to your topic. I didn't find any use for White forest until after i got caught up with my US Black and IR my games.. still I can understand where you're comming from in that yeah its a bit hard to meet someone willing and capable to meet you on your terms pkmn wise.

Skylands
04-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I can easily gain the lost trainers in Black City/White Forest because I have both versions and two accessible DSes, but it's still a huge waste of time.

Kamoosekazi
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
quoted for truth, i cant remember how long its been snce my last comic Con. but back to your topic. I didn't find any use for White forest until after i got caught up with my US Black and IR my games.. still I can understand where you're comming from in that yeah its a bit hard to meet someone willing and capable to meet you on your terms pkmn wise.

Ya, it's really a disappointment. The last time I got together with a buncha friends to play some pokemon was about 6th-7th grade.... so about, 12 years ago?
If there was more Pokemon Cons, or events nearby that would be great... the last big thing was the Celebi Event in Los Angeles, but that's 2-3 hours in traffic that I can't care to do... not to mention my car is was on the fritz

I can easily gain the lost trainers in Black City/White Forest because I have both versions and two accessible DSes, but it's still a huge waste of time.

Well I guess that really the only way to do it, but for some of us, we like to unlock everything in a given game, but don't have the money to do so =/

Altrius
04-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I dont understand it whatsoever. Partly because I havent bothered to look into it yet. Too busy filling up my dex/making competitive teams :)

Kamoosekazi
04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I dont understand it whatsoever. Partly because I havent bothered to look into it yet. Too busy filling up my dex/making competitive teams :)

Ya, I don't blame you. It just kinda bugged me that I have a giant empty city... 12 as a minimum occupancy? Try ZERO, lol... not even crickets litter the streets lol

Y2kPikachu12
04-10-2011, 02:57 AM
It's seriously not a useful feature really. I got there and there were a few stubs of buildings that had no doors and otherwise it was empty.

I don't know how I can figure out who else likes Pokemon around me without broadcasting it over my school.

Besides, there's probably not many. The one friend I do know likes Pokemon has Black anyway so meh.

Tsujin
04-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Ya, I don't blame you. It just kinda bugged me that I have a giant empty city... 12 as a minimum occupancy? Try ZERO, lol... not even crickets litter the streets lol

Where did you get 12? 10 is the maximum and 0 is the minimum.

The pokemaster
04-10-2011, 05:40 AM
I love how the people who are always complaining are the ones who can't access something or don't understand how they work.

Even if you can't find people to interact with, they're both handy places. White forest you can find some pokemon you might not be able to find normally, and black city you can buy things like shards, heart scales, and some other assorted goodies, and a little free money.

Etymology
04-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I love how the people who are always complaining are the ones who can't access something or don't understand how they work.

This.

Forget the connectivity and they become normal areas like anywhere else. That's like me saying the Safari Zone is lame because I can never catch anything. :rolleyes: If you can't use them, just do what you can there and keep on moving.

Randor
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I have to agree with "Bluejello" and "The Pokemaster", just because it's hard for one to interact with others on the DS doesn't mean that it's the same with others.

Jedi Knight Goen-Tog Etya
04-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I have two DS's and both games, but I'm not sure I have the time or the desire to build and maintain two cities. Animal Crossing: Wild World is challenging enough.

The pokemaster
04-11-2011, 02:28 AM
I have two DS's and both games, but I'm not sure I have the time or the desire to build and maintain two cities. Animal Crossing: Wild World is challenging enough.

Build and maintain? You don't do anything... Black City your buildings "grow" on their own, and you jut battle some people each day and buy some stuff. White Forest you just wait as your trees and grass grow and go catch Pokemon.

Jedi Knight Goen-Tog Etya
04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Build and maintain? You don't do anything... Black City your buildings "grow" on their own, and you jut battle some people each day and buy some stuff. White Forest you just wait as your trees and grass grow and go catch Pokemon.

Well that's what I mean. I have to visit the cities every day, battle, and buy stuff, and I think you have to interact with other people in order to keep your city (Cities) thriving. I don't know if I can or even want to.

Even in diamond, pearl, and platinum, I stopped palnting berries and all the soil spots are barren. The world hasn't come to an end yet - so I don't think I'm going to work too hard on Black City and White Forest.

The pokemaster
04-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Well that's what I mean. I have to visit the cities every day, battle, and buy stuff, and I think you have to interact with other people in order to keep your city (Cities) thriving. I don't know if I can or even want to.

Even in diamond, pearl, and platinum, I stopped palnting berries and all the soil spots are barren. The world hasn't come to an end yet - so I don't think I'm going to work too hard on Black City and White Forest.

I don't think you understand. You don't need to do anything, they will grow on their own, but the daily trainer battles are optional, and you get $10k every ten trainers you beat, but the town won't die or anything if you don't battle them, it's all optional. Same as buying stuff, the shop is there like any other normal shop, where you can buy rarer stuff like Heart Scales, you don't need to buy anything to keep your town alive.

Kenny_C.002
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Ugh... why would they put something so lame as Black City and White Forest!?

I understand the need to cause kids to interact, however I'm 23 and it's kinda hard for me to find people near me that will play pokemon with me on a personal level.

I play Xbox games too, which is where my of my IRL friends reside in the gaming world, Nintendo DS is a small few and, unlike in Japan, it's hard to find people into anime and pokemon that I can tolerate =/

I've never even been able to use the Union room or the Underground effectively. Pretty much all these direct link abilities within the games should be able to be used via wi-fi as the pokemon community is still rather small (this forum alone is prob the biggest I've encountered, and by word of mouth is slowly building back up again).

As much as I approve of Pokemon trying to go out there and get kids to come together in the real world instead of online, there should be more options given. I personally don't see much of this happening in the beautiful San Diego County, CA, USA
Cons really are your best bet though. I remember going to one the year HGSS was out and there were tons of people with their pokewalkers crawling all over the convention halls. Most of them are our age, interestingly enough.

PhantomGanon
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't think you understand. You don't need to do anything, they will grow on their own, but the daily trainer battles are optional, and you get $10k every ten trainers you beat, but the town won't die or anything if you don't battle them, it's all optional. Same as buying stuff, the shop is there like any other normal shop, where you can buy rarer stuff like Heart Scales, you don't need to buy anything to keep your town alive.

I don't believe you understand. If you do not make it to the City/Forest 10 days after beating the game, it becomes barren, no one there, no pokemon, no items, nothing, nada, ziltch. I believe, if I am inferring correctly, this is what happened to him. The only way to repopulate the city/forest is to connect via Entralink with someone else's City/Forest.

You have a certain amount of "points" you start of with, and as you lose these "Points" trainers and pokemon leave. You can restore them by walking into the area, fighting the trainers (City) or talking to the people there (Forest).

Day Passes -5
Enter Area +3
Talking to Someone +10
Battling Trainer +7

Source: http://serebii.net/blackwhite/blackcitywhiteforest.shtml

I am pretty sure that is what he has the problem with.

~Kaim

death_metal_lawn_gnome
04-24-2011, 09:57 PM
for me its a waste of time, i cant be bothered to do that many extra little side missions, the whole reason i play pokemon is so i can catch them all. for example i never would have got spiritomb if he wasnt so easy to get from people in wifi trade....talk to 32 people in the underground......ya right. sometimes i think the whole purpose of "side missions" like that is to just make it even harder for us to catch them all