PDA

View Full Version : Sunday - First Day of the Week and a Weekend?

Aquablast
10-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Well don't you think it is a bit weird Sunday is the first day of the week but it is consider the weekend.

Teddiursa of the Sky
10-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I know right? I always view Monday as the beginning on the week. xD We should be like the Hebrews and count it as a next day right at sundown. xD

Pokemon_Ron
10-10-2011, 03:35 AM
I just realized this. whoaaa, weird. But I consider Friday and Saturday my weekends.

Speed-X
10-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Sunday is considered the start of the week here; however, in several other countries Monday is. Either way makes sense, but I grew up with the first-mentioned. So yeah.

Etymology
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Sunday is the end of the week for us. :p Monday is the beginning.

scubasteveE
10-11-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't find it weird. :P For example, I always saw it like if Monday-Friday were books with Saturday and Sunday being the bookends.

Though my work week is really weird, it starts on Saturday and ends with Friday. I've never understood that, but I bet there is a reason.

Assaundrell Yumerai
10-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Well, some Japanese prefers Monday as the first day of the week than Sunday, so do I(^^)

Serebiish
10-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Here in Brazil standard is week ends on Sunday,but I believe it starts on it because Monday's literal translation would be second - day(actually second - fair but let's use day for a while) so ...

Gem N Ems
10-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Saturday and Sunday are the weekENDS. Haha. xD

Monday is the first day of the week for me. It's not like I have school on Sunday, thank god.

Teddiursa of the Sky
10-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Saturday and Sunday are the weekENDS. Haha. xD

Monday is the first day of the week for me. It's not like I have school on Sunday, thank god.

It is, however, commonly accepted that Sunday is the first day of the week. At least, on a lot of calendars anyway.

Gem N Ems
10-15-2011, 02:26 PM
It is, however, commonly accepted that Sunday is the first day of the week. At least, on a lot of calendars anyway.

I never got why that is. That's just...weird. .___.

Teddiursa of the Sky
10-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I never got why that is. That's just...weird. .___.

I should look it up and see why. It is pretty weird...

DaRkUmBrEoN
10-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Sunday is traditionally the first day of the week, due to Hebrew Calendars having the Sabbath on the last day of the week, thus Saturday. Ergo, Sunday is the first day of the new week leading up to the next Sabbath.

With the coming of modern-day secularism, and the 5 day workweek, it left us with the first day of the week falling in our free weekends. So calender makers agreed to have Mondays as the new first day.

TheEvilDookie
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Here in normal people land, Sunday is the first day of the week.

Judgmental Arceus
10-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Sunday is the beginning of my calendar week and Monday is the beginning of my school week. In any case Sunday is at the opposite END of the week from Saturday, so both being weekENDs could still make sense.

Skylands
10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
I feel like Monday should be the beginning of the week, as that is generally when most people go back to work or go to school. But whatever, it doesn't really make a difference because I dislike Sundays as much as Mondays. They're usually uneventful and slow for me.

fortomorrow
10-18-2011, 06:12 AM
It still looks good, I do think it is the cultural difference between eastern and western world.