PDA

View Full Version : (NP) Adventure Fan Fiction Guide

Neo Emolga
06-12-2004, 02:09 PM
http://pirate.shu.edu/~rodmanjo/LESSONBANNER.jpg

Well, here it is. Whether you’ve been waiting all week to see this or just happened to stumble upon it, it doesn’t matter. Here you will find all the tools and secrets I used to create fan fiction such as The Trial of Juno trilogy and The Dawn of the Night. The great thing about these tools is they’re not just limited to Pokémon fan fiction, they can be used anywhere for a wide variety of stories.

By now, you’ve probably looked at your scroll bar and realized that, yes this is one very long guide. Some of it might seem familiar while other parts you might not have ever heard before. Regardless, it’s all here for a reason. I hope all of this proves helpful to you.

First, there is a reason why you write stories. You write because you want to, because you have an idea, thought, or experience that you want to share with the rest of the world. Or maybe it’s just with yourself, just so you can reflect on your own memories. However you do it, constant practice can make you a master. That goes with a lot of other things in life.

Well, before I say anything else, I came here to help. Every single person has the potential to become something great. And yes, every master starts off as a beginner. No one starts off knowing everything. You learn it through the actions and advice of others, as well as trying your absolute best and having that same drive to get up and keep going even when you’re knocked down. Becoming a great writer involves the same steps. The race is long, and in the end, you’ll find out it’s only with yourself. You race against no one, only your own will to constantly improve.

Well, here is where I will start getting into the concepts that you need to write a great story. Before you even start really getting into anything, you have to realize that the very hardest part of writing a story comes even before you type the story’s very first letter. You need to plan it out. You need to decide whether you want it to be first person or third person. And yes, I can help you with that. I won’t deny that there are multiple approaches to this, but this is the one I use…

Well, to start off, this is a guide to adventure fan fiction. I have never written a trainer fic and chances are very good I won’t ever be writing one. Trainer fics are of a completely different blood, limited to only Pokémon, and usually have a preset plot where one person beings the story with choosing a starter Pokémon and then embarks on their own journey into a Pokémon League. During the course of the story, their objective is to collect badges and attempt to win at the League’s final tournament. I just don’t do that.

Adventure fics are very different, and are tougher to write but the final result is worth it. Rather than having a preset plot, you design the plot yourself. Your character can be anyone, they don’t even have to be a Pokémon Trainer. They don’t even have to be human. And if you’re writing something that doesn’t even have Pokémon in it, this is the way to go. From this point on, I’m not going to even mention Pokémon, whether you want to have them or not involved with your story is completely up to you. However, your story is going to have at least some involvement with Pokémon if it is going to be placed in the Pokémon Fan Fiction board. Those are just the rules…

Before you begin, take a little time to think about the story you want to write. I know it’s hard because you want to start writing and posting your story as soon as possible, but take a good week to think about your story, and some of the events that are going to happen along the way. Create some characters that you can feel comfortable writing about and that your readers can associate with. Once that week is over with and you feel you have your ideas set straight, then start writing. If a week has passed and you think you might need some more time, then continue to plan it out until you feel you are comfortable to begin writing. I highly recommend Microsoft Word to write your story. MS Word will catch all your spelling errors and some of your grammar errors, but not all of them. And this may sound really hard but write at least 5 posts ahead of what you’re going to post on the forum. That way you’ll have a good solid foundation to build your story. Plus, allowing one post per day or every other day will allow you to keep the story updated and fresh every so often. If you can’t work on it one day, you will always have some backup material to present your awaiting readers.

During your planning week, think about these aspects about your story:

You need to decide whether you want the story to be first person or third person. Making the story first person will give the reader the illusion that you were the one who went on this adventure. The angle that the story is viewed from is in the mind and eyes of the main character. When writing in this format, you almost need to pretend you’re the main character and you are writing about an epic journey that you experienced.

When writing first person, you will find yourself using phrases similar to these:

“I only wished there was something I could do about it.” I replied to Martin, who was looking downcast besides me.

We needed to get across the river, and I had no idea how to do it. I looked to see the river was constantly raging at a furious pace, and I just shook my head in frustration, trying to think of a way the three of us could get across.

However, third person will only focus on what the main character is doing. The story will follow the main character at times, and at other times may show what another character is doing, such as an enemy. Or, the focus may be on the main character at all times and will follow them as they undertake their journey. This is how the same examples that appeared under first person would look under a third person perspective:

”I only wished there was something I could do about it.” James replied to Martin, who was looking downcast besides him.

James knew he needed to get across the river, but he had no idea how to do it. He looked to see the river was constantly raging at a furious pace, and he shook his head in frustration, trying to think of a way the three of them could get across.

See the difference? You need to decide what context you want your story to be in. Any way is fine, but you have to stick with it for the entire length of the story unless it is extremely important that you need to switch. If you find yourself doing this, only do it for very critical situations where no other solution is possible or would take away from the story’s direction. Once you do it, try to keep it brief as possible, and then quickly return to the format you had before. Still, you should try to avoid doing this. Now I will go over the core components of what goes into your story.

First, before you think of any event or character or setting, choose a time. Will your story be in the everyday world that we know and have grown so familiar to, or will your story take place during the high tech future of tomorrow? Or will it all happen before the safeties and security of the modern world even existed? That, my friend, is up for you to decide. You’re probably asking, why start with the time before all else? The time period that you choose will shape everything in your story. It will shape every aspect of your story from your setting to your characters to your storyline. Choose carefully.

Second comes your setting, which is also a very difficult part to conjure up. Setting can also change many times during the course of a story. Will your story take place on the familiar world we know as Earth, or will it take place in some other fantastic world, where what wasn’t possible on our planet now becomes an everyday part of life? Will it be a world that involves the computers and machines of today or involve the secret magic of a fantasy setting? Will your story take place around the big cities or in the rural farm towns, or will your characters travel far and wide? Once you thought of some ideas, then, you have to think of the culture. What do the people of this place do as an everyday form of living? How do they live, work and play, and how does it intertwine into a part of their daily lives?

So, once you have your time period, as well as the setting, guess what? Well, congratulations, you’ve just created your own world! That’s just a part of the fun in writing a story, there can be a lot more to it than just that. Now, comes the main important part of the story. Who is going to be your main character?

First, give the main character a name. Then, make that character reflect the kind of society he or she lives in. What are their interests? What about their history and their personality? And then, what about the main character makes them different from everyone else? The main character is the person or being that must have the most development during the course of the story. You may even have multiple characters with the same role, but there has to be someone who acts as a leader for them, and your main character is perfect for that. This character can have several friends who start off with him or he can start off alone or gain the friendship of others as the story progress. Or you can have a combination of both. That’s up to you.

Neo Emolga
06-12-2004, 02:12 PM
You’ve created your own world, and you know how it functions and how its citizens live their daily lives, and you have an idea of the person or being that is going to be the main character. Now, to get a nice plot warming up, try to think of something that would be a threat to that society or to that one character. There are so many millions of possible threats, and you don’t have to be limited to just one. The people in the world you have created have to fear something.

There are two options. One, you can have a threat that involves many people at once, such as a natural disaster, war, or many other threats on a high scale. Or, you can have a personal threat that would only involve a small number of people. Maybe the main character’s sister is kidnapped, or they are fighting a personal enemy. Either way, you can have an exciting and epic story arise from either situation. And, even better, change the threat or have other threats during the course of the story that can surprise the reader.

Let’s look at some movies, and you’ll realize what I’m talking about…

High Scale Threats

Lord of the Rings – The Dark Lord Sauron and the One Ring
The Matrix – The Machines

Personal Scale Threats

Scarface – Tony’s own struggle to power
The Godfather – Michael trying to gain power in the criminal world

THE PLOT

Well, you’re probably wondering how to handle the plot. You’ve thought of some interesting ideas, but you’ve not sure how to tie them altogether. Well, here’s a model of what a plot is supposed to look like. Since Lord of the Rings is known to most people, I’ll be using it as an example.

http://pirate.shu.edu/~rodmanjo/PlotChart.jpg

1. Exposition – The exposition is shown as a straight line. That’s mainly because nothing has really happened yet. In the exposition, you reveal the world you have created, as well as the beginning characters that are going to be involved and the environment they are in. Right now, the main character is unaware of the challenges that lie ahead. The problem or threat might be revealed, but the main character should not be aware of it.

LOTR Example: In the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring, Hobbiton is a peaceful place, and nothing seems wrong. The characters Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf are introduced, and the setting is laid out. The reader (or viewer…) learns about the ring, but the problem that lies within it has not been revealed.

2. Conflict – The conflict is the area at the end of the exposition and just before the Rising Action. This is the exact point where the main character learns of the problem that is at hand. Other characters might already know about it, but the main character needs to find out that the problem exists before the conflict stage is reached. It then becomes clear that the main character now has one main objective. That objective can slightly change in nature, but it must be the main objective. It is here where the main character leaves behind the world they are familiar with to embark on the journey they must take.

LOTR Example: Frodo learns from Gandalf about the power of the One Ring that Bilbo had for so many years. Fordo also realizes that the evil influence of the ring has been rubbing off on Bilbo, who has become very possessive of the ring. Gandalf tells Frodo that the ring holds the spirit of Sauron, and it needs to be destroyed. Frodo then leaves behind Hobbiton with Sam by his side and embarks on the journey to destroy the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom.

3. Rising Action – The Rising Action is undoubtedly the longest part of the story, usually taking up at least 85% of the story’s length. The rising action includes all the trials and obstacles that the main character and his or her companions must overcome in order to complete their objectives, as well as the actual journey they undertake. Anything between the Conflict point and the Climax is all Rising Action. The line moves upward to show that the intensity of the story is rising as well as the change in the main character.

LOTR Example: The Rising Action begins when Frodo and Sam leave The Shire and the Rising Action ends when they finally reach the last platform before the fires of Mount Doom. Yes, the Rising Action is that big. All the conflicts and battles that the members of the Fellowship of the Ring encounter are all Rising Action. The story changes and grows in intensity when the rest of Middle Earth realizes that the fight against Sauron and his dark army grows to a fever pitch. Frodo also changes in the story, after slowly falling under the influence of the ring, as well as the exhaustion he suffers from the long journey.

4. Climax: This is where the whole situation changes. The Climax is the one critical moment in the story that will determine if the main character will succeed or fail. It is here where the main character finally finds a way to destroy the threats that forced him to depart on the journey, or the forces find a way to defeat the main character.

LOTR Example: The Climax in LOTR is when Frodo, Sam, and Gollum struggle and fight over the ring on the platform above the fires of Mount Doom. This is the last critical moment of the story because the ring is on the verge of being destroyed or saved. The quest will succeed if the ring falls into the fire, but the quest will fail if Gollum escapes with the ring.

5. Falling Action: This is where the story beings to close. The final conflict has been resolved, and either the main character has proven to be victorious or he or she has failed. The line moves downward because the intensity is beginning to fade away. The problems that the threat presented are disappearing, but the line NEVER falls back to where it began. The presence of the threat will not be forgotten, and some of the problems that it presented may have left scars on the main character or the force that defeated the main character.

LOTR Example: The Falling Action in LOTR begins the very moment the ring sinks into the fire, and Sauron is destroyed forever, along with his orc armies. The threat of the orcs and the evil power of Sauron is gone, but his actions have still scarred the lands. Many humans, elves and dwarves had died in the struggle against the dark armies. Fordo too, is also scarred and will never forget the experience. The wound he received from the Witch King will never completely heal, and he still has signs of exhaustion even after the ring is destroyed. He even mentions that while they did save the Shire, it wasn’t saved for him. He can never return to the way things used to be.

6. Conclusion: This is very last part of the story, where the plot beings to close. The reader (or viewer) is shown the world after the situation described in the story has taken place.

LOTR Example: Frodo leaves on the ship that will be leaving Middle Earth, and Sam finally settles down with his family and carries on the story that Frodo left behind.

Well, I hope you got a better idea of how a plot works after reading that. Use it as an example the next time you plan your story, I’m sure it will make things a lot easier to sort out and organize.

Neo Emolga
06-12-2004, 02:13 PM
DESCRIPTION

Description is the vital element that makes your story come to life. It is the very lifeblood and the flesh of the story. Without it, the story is just skin and bone. It is a critical need to have good description in a story in order for the reader to get an idea of what is happening.

Since you are the author of the story you are writing, you can already grab a picture of what is happening and the environment that you have created. However, the reader has no idea of what you have been imagining this whole time. The clever use of description will illustrate to your reader what you have been thinking of, and will be able to give the reader a feel for what is happening. If your reader can accurately picture and imagine what is going on for themselves, then congratulations, you’ve done your job.

Here is one few example of what a story looks like with barely any description or development and a story rich with description and development.

Ken looked toward the sea.

“I guess I will have to leave soon.” Ken said, “I will have to leave upon the ship.”
“Yes, I guess you’re right Ken.” Sarah said, “I will miss you.”

Then, Ken left her behind and headed toward the ship.

Bored? I wouldn’t be surprised if you were from reading that. Imagine reading fifty pages of a story just as boring. Guess what? You won’t be. After ten you probably won’t even feel like looking at it anymore.

Well, on the other hand, here is the same situation with lots of description and development. Hopefully this will be a lot more exciting to read.

Ken’s lowly, brown eyes gazed toward the setting sun that was slowly sinking behind an ocean with the colors of the horizon painted all over it. A small gust of wind had blown past him, moving through his brown hair and covering his body with a cool breeze. He stared at the rippling ocean for some time, and then he slowly turned toward Sarah, who was standing only a small distance away from him.

“Sarah, I’m sorry but I have no choice,” Ken told her with a feeling of regret, “I was the one who volunteered to be in the Navy. This is what I have to do. It won’t be long now before I have to board the battleship and head off to sea.”
“Ken, I’m sorry that it has come down to this, I know this isn’t what you wanted.” Sarah responded with the look of desperation in her eyes, “Please keep in mind that I will never forget you. Never.”

Ken had heeded Sarah’s words as he put his arm on her shoulder to comfort her. Sarah then quickly hugged Ken as firm as she could, grabbing onto Ken’s blue uniform tightly before she decided to release her grasp. Then, Ken had kissed Sarah on the cheek softly before he looked at her one last time. He took a deep breath and said goodbye to her.

Soon after, he walked down the old, wooden pier and then headed toward a long and black metal platform that lead into the awaiting battleship that was docked in the harbor. He had joined many other Navy officers dressed in the same uniform he was wearing as they walked down the long metal plank that lead to the inside of the enormous vessel. Just before Ken had disappeared into the dark, black hull of the massive battleship, he turned around and waved Sarah goodbye one last time.

Did you have a better idea of what was going on? This is just one example of how description can make a dull story come to life. Yes, I will not deny that packing a story with description will make it longer and will take you more time to write it. But guess what? That really isn’t such a bad thing and it will be worth it in the end. You just need to be patient with it. Don’t rush through your story just to get to the one event that you want to have happen. Don’t blaze through a scene that will describe to the reader about what exactly is going on just to get the main character in another gunfight. Every single part of the story is important. People want a lot of variance in a story as well. They don’t want to be exposed to the same situations over and over again.

The second part of using outstanding description is to visualize yourself what is happening. Imagine what the scene that you’re thinking of would look like in real life. What would people be doing and how would they act considering the situation they are placed in? What would be around them, and what would those things look like? Then, you need to use the right words to describe those actions and surroundings. What words will create the same image that you created in your mind upon being read for the first time? Once you think you’ve found the right descriptive words, use them in union with the surroundings and people you have created. Then, read it over one more time. Can you get an idea of what you were thinking about? If not, then try adding more words to each aspect. Maybe take more pieces of the world around your character and bring them to light.

Keeping these aspects in mind when writing will definitely give you a better idea of what it takes to provide your readers with the rich and colorful world that you have created. Making a reader see exactly what you had in mind will make the experience of reading your story far more enjoyable than before. They will remember your story with much more clarity.

With that said, I will be closing this lesson with some last tips to keep in mind when writing.

Keep Writing – You can only get better if you keep writing and developing your ideas. If something goes wrong, don’t give up. If fact, knowing how something went wrong will only make your writing stronger since you will be able to pinpoint how it happened and will now be able to avoid the situation next time.
Listen to Others – A forum is an outstanding place to post your story, since there will be plenty of people to read it. If you have a problem where people aren’t reading your story, maybe try reading the works of other people and give your feedback on their story. Usually, those same authors will return the favor.
Use Microsoft Word – Microsoft Word is an outstanding program. It will catch all of your spelling errors and some of your grammar errors. Plus it will give you a place to save your story and look it over even when not online. MS Word will also provide you with a similar format as to how the story will appear upon being posted at the forum. Meanwhile, simply writing in the tiny message box will appear to make you work cramped in one little spot. If you don’t know how to bring your story from MS Word to the post, just highlight the selection you want to have posted in MS Word and press the CTRL key along with the “C” key to copy it. Then, go back to the message box of the forum and make sure your cursor is flashing in the box. Now, press the CTRL key along with the “V” key to paste the selection you highlighted into the box. All you need to do now is post.
Put Your Code in the Story – Sometimes you will find yourself wanting to make a word italicized in order to put more emphasis into it. By now, you should know how most forum code works in order to make your text bold or italicized. It’s better off to put that code in your story already so you don’t forget to put it in later. This is the same for any text you want to have centered or something similar to that such as bullets or color.
Avoid using the same word over again – Try to stop yourself from using the same word to describe everything. Don’t say everything was “old” or “shiny.” It’s very rare of all the aspects of one setting to have the exact same features as everything else around it. Even so, in most cases there are plenty of words that can have the same meaning. Find them and use them.
Check your work – The best way to make sure you’ve checked the story and have avoided all possible mistakes is to read the story to yourself and listen to the way it sounds. Don’t read it from the preview screen on the forum, read it from your word processor so if you find any mistakes, you can edit them immediately without having to go back to the story you typed out and search around for the mistakes you had to change.

Well, with those last points said, I hope this guide gave you a better idea on how to make your story far more outstanding than before. And if it does, I’m glad I could help

~Neo Pikachu

Scorch Ry
06-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Question: So, Neo. When you are starting an adventurous Fan-Fiction THAT deals with pokemon, would this be a good way to set things up for it?

Exposition: The peaceful Jutip Region has gained the power of the blue twisted stones that will attract any wild pokemon to their possession. They had hidden the two twisted stones in Charvalle Valley. However, a teen named Matthew Kings, discovers about the origin of the stones and learns that if one person possesses them, then all of the wild pokemon will be in his or her posession. Through confidence, Matthew decides to stop any force from getting them.

Conflict: King Aleykale and his Suicune, from Kingsdele Kingdom, have discovered the two twisted blue stones and have stolen them from Charvalle Valley. However, Matthew learns that in order to get the two twisted stones back, they must be united with the two scarlet scales. Matthew must compete and win in the Jutip Orbit Conference in order to win the two scalet scales that don't seem to what they are to millions of people.

Rising Action: The rising action begins when Matthew leaves his home to start his crucial journey and the rising action ends when Matthew obtains the two scarlet scales. He battles many, many times to gain new pokemon, new evolutions and much more confidence.

Climax: The situation changes when Matthew finds out that King Aleykale used Suicune's mystical powers to clone another set of the blue twisted stones, allowing him to have a total of four. As Matthew and King Aleykale fight, Suicune's possession suddenly takes over and it begins such a terrifying battle with Matthew. With this happening, Matthew notices that Aleykale has went to the top of his castle to summon all of the wild pokemon to his chamber.

Falling Action: The Falling Action is when Matthew finds the hidden cloned sets of the two twisted blue stones and unites them with the two scarlet scales. Suddenly, the mystical power of the real stones vanish, making all wild pokemon have no control over Aleykale. Instead, the two real stones have summoned such a mystical beast known as Kyogre, which takes Aleykale to the Origin Dungeon, where Aleykale will suffer day by day.

Conclusion: Matthew returns to his hometown, Venis Island, and decides to travel around and compete in more competitions. But, Matthew has gained such powerful power that the Jutip Region awards him a special gift. As he leaves away, he notices that the gift is a Master Ball, with a small note inside...

*Would this be a good plot to have in my story?*

Neo Emolga
06-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Sounds great, Aleyquala, the only thing is just develop Matthew King's character in the exposition, and leave the moment where he finds out about the origin of the stones until the conflict. During the exposition, just develop the setting, such as what does the Jutip region look like, and how do the people live in this region? Descripe Matthew's character as well as any other of his close friends or family. How does Matthew live, and what does he usually do during the day? Remember, this is the world your main character is about to leave behind. Even if he sees this place again after his journey, it won't be the same.

It sounds like an exciting story, Aleyquala! Good luck with it and I hope you have fun writing it.

Scorch Ry
06-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Reply: I see what you are saying. In the beginning chapter, I should explain the origin of the blue twisted stones, along with describing the settings of the Jutip Region. Must I include the family's personality and his closest friends' personalities as well?

Neo Emolga
06-13-2004, 05:23 PM
You don't have to, though if they are involved even just a small amount in the story, it would be a good idea to have some background on them.

Scorch Ry
06-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Manager Aleyquala: Neo Pikachu, please log in into AOL. We need to have a small conference concerning your Lesson. Thanks. It's nothing bad, but I have to ask a couple of questions, including your authorlets and small lessons. Thanks once more.

Phoenix004
06-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the lesson NP, it was very enlightening. I will definietly make use of this information in my stories. You're a great teacher NP!

Khashoggi
06-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Manager Aleyquala: Neo Pikachu, please log in into AOL. We need to have a small conference concerning your Lesson. Thanks. It's nothing bad, but I have to ask a couple of questions, including your authorlets and small lessons. Thanks once more.
O.o What's wrong with PMs? Can't you figure out how to send them or something?

NP, that was incredible. It highlighted many aspects of storywriting that either I'd never considered or had totally slipped my mind before now. ^^

Neo Emolga
06-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Well, I'm glad so many of you found this guide to be helpful. I'd like to thank you all for reading it, and I would have to thank Aleyquala for coming up with this great idea in the first place. Without him, this guide would not have been possible.

Raddstealth316
08-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Wow. I have only got round to reading this now and I'm glad I did. Neo you have made me just think of this great new idea for a story, thankyou it was truely amazing.

Neo Emolga
01-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Well, I'm going to be closing this, since everyone has read this already, and I've written a completely new guide called Taking Your Writing to the Next Level (http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5640), which covers everything this guide covers and a lot more.

*Locked and Unstickied