PDA

View Full Version : Swift Boaters for Truth

JoshE
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
What do you think of this group against John Kerry's military medal's?

Alakazam
08-28-2004, 12:29 AM
I think that it really looks bad for the Bush Campaign since it's so negative...even though they have every right to do it. Personally, I think its pathetic and rediculous. I don't really care about politicians war / military records, especially when it was so long ago (for anyone, not just Kerry).

JoshE
08-28-2004, 01:39 PM
I think that it really looks bad for the Bush Campaign since it's so negative...even though they have every right to do it. Personally, I think its pathetic and rediculous. I don't really care about politicians war / military records, especially when it was so long ago (for anyone, not just Kerry).

I agree. I think anyone who willing to vote one of these men into office because of thier military record should not have the right to vote.

The Elite Ygseto
08-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Well if you think about it Kerry might have hurt himself to get a purple heart or just to leave the war. I call that being selfish and unpatriotic.

JoshE
08-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Well if you think about it Kerry might have hurt himself to get a purple heart or just to leave the war. I call that being selfish and unpatriotic.

Kerry served our country in the Vietnam War. Bush can't call out Kerry on his military record when Bush dosen't have one. Anyway, thsi should not be an issue of this election.

The Elite Ygseto
08-30-2004, 12:52 AM
I know bush didn't have one but look what he's done now with the war on terror. He's captured Saddam Husaine, the most evil guy in the world.

Alakazam
08-30-2004, 12:57 AM
I know bush didn't have one but look what he's done now with the war on terror.

Exactly...that's why he needs to leave the White House. He's done virtually NOTHING on the War on Terror.

He's captured Saddam Husaine, the most evil guy in the world.

He caught him in an invasion of another country in an effort to jumpstart the economy he's been dragging down, and to put more money in his pockets from Halliburton and other such companies that will be the contrators in Iraq.

The Elite Ygseto
08-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Well done Zammy! *claps*

But still your missing the point that Jhon Kerry, the guy you want to be president, shot himself to get out of a war and to get a lowsy medle. That just isn't what I really want in my president.

Alakazam
08-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Well done Zammy! *claps*

But still your missing the point that Jhon Kerry, the guy you want to be president, shot himself to get out of a war and to get a lowsy medle. That just isn't what I really want in my president.

First of all, that is not a fact, and is debatable. Of course, you want it to be true because you support Bush. I don't want it to be true because I support Kerry. Nothing earth-shattering there.

With that being said, I don't think that any such material from war records should be a factor in one's decision of who to vote for president. I could counter that Bush left his unit in the Texas Air National Guard, and was unaccoutned for for weeks...such a claim (as is the Kerry shot him self point, the whole Bush AWOL thing is a claim, and nothing more). I really don't like bringing that point up about Bush because it's a mootpoint.

I could say that I don't want someone who leaves on the job as president; the only reason that I don't say that is because I know that the claim against his Air National Guard record is not fully substantiated.

Is the next president going to need to lead a swift boat? Is he going to need to fly a jet fighter? I highly doubt it. I know that you think such claims shed light on one's character (especially about Kerry in Vietnam)...however, you've got to put yourself in his shoes (Kerry's). How would you like to be out on a river in charge of a boat where hidden artillery could kill you at any moment? You'd like to think that you'd fight bravely, but I think in such a situation a human's first priority is their own safety; it's perfectly natural. And, does opposing Vietnam make Kerry unpatriotic? (Not to mention the fact that he lived out the horror of Vietnam). Do you conisder me to be unpatriotic becuase of my opposition to the Iraq War?

PokemonElite2000
08-30-2004, 05:47 AM
This issue is really disturbing to me because people won't do the research and just believe what they hear (very dangerous thing to do).

And I'll give some example, just give everyone a taste what research can do and not just believe what you want to believe:

Did you know that that people that show up on the ads wasn't even on the same boat with Kerry? Well, a lot of people were shocked to learn that because they were under the impression that all of them were in the same boat. I thought those people were in the same boat with Kerry also. Not the case.

There are claims that there weren't even shots fired at the time. But Larry Thurlow (he appears in the ads), who commanded a Swift Boat that day, had a citation for the Bronze star that said "all units began receiving enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire from the river banks." But now, he says that was false and he thought he got the Bronze Star for another reason. That was all in writing and he got the Bronze Star, and now he says it's false? What's going on here? I'm sure Mr. Thurlow would know how he got his Bronze Star, espicially since it's in writing and now we even have that document. The Washington Post reported this story and requested the citation of the Bronze Star.

It's good to hear both sides of the story, but in the end, you need to do your own research. Because if you're just going with one side, that's just the only side you'll get.

Well done Zammy! *claps*

Shot himself to get out of a war and get a medal? Were you there at the Vietnam War? Please, this is another example of just believing what you want to believe. You can't say for sure and I can't say for sure, so don't say Kerry shot himself to get a medal.

You also said it's "Kerry might have hurt himself to get a purple heart" in your earlier posts. The keyword there is "might." Again, I don't know and you don't know. But surely you can't condemn a man for something you're not sure about, as well as everyone else that have recieved a Purple Heart.

Neo Emolga
08-30-2004, 06:43 AM
I really don't consider Kerry's Purple Hearts when considering my vote. It doesn't matter how many awards a canidate has won, I'm more concerned about what they plan to do for the future if and when they reach the US presidency. Sure, military and other awards can make a canidate appear to be more credible, but even good military leaders might not be fit for being the president of the United States.

Still, I don't think its fair that some group tries to discredit Kerry's medals. If he earned them, then he earned them and just leave it at that. The Bush Campaign should be more focused on the communication with the public and keeping the public clear about what Bush plans to do if he is elected for another term. They should really stop wasting their time trying to descredit Kerry and focus on promoting Bush for re-election.

PokemonElite2000
08-30-2004, 07:19 AM
I really don't consider Kerry's Purple Hearts when considering my vote. It doesn't matter how many awards a canidate has won, I'm more concerned about what they plan to do for the future if and when they reach the US presidency. Sure, military and other awards can make a canidate appear to be more credible, but even good military leaders might not be fit for being the president of the United States.

Still, I don't think its fair that some group tries to discredit Kerry's medals. If he earned them, then he earned them and just leave it at that. The Bush Campaign should be more focused on the communication with the public and keeping the public clear about what Bush plans to do if he is elected for another term. They should really stop wasting their time trying to descredit Kerry and focus on promoting Bush for re-election.
The way I look at it, Kerry served in Vietnam, and that's great. Bush served in the National Guard, that's also great. But it's not the Bush campaign that's attacking Kerry's war record. In fact, the Bush campaign have commended Kerry's war record. There's links with the Bush campaign and the Swift Boat Veterans though. An adviser and legal adviser to the Bush campaign also was working with the Swift Boat Veterans group. Doesn't mean there's a link between the two, but such a link would be illegal under the law. But the Bush campaign haven't been doing stuff like that, as Kerry puts it, Bush let's other people do the dirty work for him. Bush hasn't condemn the ads, but McCain has and has urged Bush to do so also.

Inferno
08-30-2004, 10:10 PM
The group against Kerry's medals is kinda childish to me. Some of the men who say things about him now, spoke at many of Kerry's public addresses in the past. A lot of them talked him up while they were at the podium, I've seen some of the speeches they have given comemorating him, and there wasn't a bad word said about him. Yet now that the election is nearing, it seems like some of these guys are getting paid to slander Kerry and his three purple hearts. It's almost like these men are mad or they feel like they're living in Kerry's shadow, and now they want some fame and glory also. I don't really know why they're doing it, but it just seems wrong and petty to me; they are not the honorable war veterans that I like to think of when I picture heroes in my mind.

The Elite Ygseto
08-31-2004, 12:57 AM
Ok Ryan and Zammy you got me. Your right about being on a boat and seeing what he saw. I would go crazy after all the death tha was there, so i'm changing my oppion to this.

Even though he might of shot himself to get it, that shouldn't be a factor in my vote. So i'm saying sorry to him to see allhat he saw. BTW, I'm still going for Bush. :P

JoshE
08-31-2004, 03:26 AM
Ok Ryan and Zammy you got me. Your right about being on a boat and seeing what he saw. I would go crazy after all the death tha was there, so i'm changing my oppion to this.

Even though he might of shot himself to get it, that shouldn't be a factor in my vote. So i'm saying sorry to him to see allhat he saw. BTW, I'm still going for Bush. :P

Well its good that your not judging him by his military record. I respect almost everyone who fought for our country.

The Elite Ygseto
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Yeah you got to give some people the binefet of the doubt. But i'm only doing this one time. :P

JoshE
08-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Yeah you got to give some people the binefet of the doubt. But i'm only doing this one time. :P

lol, you should every time if you don't have real evidence.

Inferno
09-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Kinda stems back to "innocent until proven guilty"

The Elite Ygseto
09-03-2004, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I guess I should, but if you found out that Bush did something simmalar. You wouldn't wait a second to blame Bush.

Alakazam
09-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I guess I should, but if you found out that Bush did something simmalar. You wouldn't wait a second to blame Bush.

Di you miss the part of this thread when I said that I liken this to Bush's supposed AWOL situation with the Air National Guard and that I don't hold it against him for the same reason? :rolleyes: Apparently not...

The Elite Ygseto
09-03-2004, 02:23 AM
I guess I did, sorry. So except you, the others would blame him in a heartbeat.

Alakazam
09-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, and you're right. One has to think about these things before pouncing upon a scapegoat.

The Elite Ygseto
09-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Yeah the scapegoat might be a landmine! *Pictures Kerry pouncing on Sacpegoat landmine.* He He He

Alakazam
09-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Yeah, people like to simply situations, using Kerry or Bush as a scapegoat...things just aren't that simple. There are innumerable factors that most people don't even recognize.

The Elite Ygseto
09-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Yup-Yup you gotta look out for that stuff.

BTW: Whats your real name?