PDA

View Full Version : Needing some help/advice about Pokemon Diamond..

diangelo
05-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Firstly Hi there :)

I have been browsing the forum for the last few days trying to work up the nerve to create a account and ask some questions about Pokemon Diamond. I am totally new to Pokemon in general and this is the first game Ive ever played (am a bit older then the average player I guess) and Im feeling rather confused and daunted by it all.

Ive been looking for good resources of info and the discussion and help thread is very daunting as I dont really understand what everyone is talking about so I thought I would create this and ask some questions. I hope that is okay, but if not sorry..

So far I have got all 8 badges and won the Pokemon Championship by beating the 4 elite guys and the champ and am now wondring what to do and if Ive messed things up and should I start over..

Firstly I see everyone talk about Legendary Pokemon.. Why are they Legendary? and how do I know what is and isnt special in Pokemon Diamond?

I used the Master ball to catch the special pokemon thats on the cover of Diamond (forget his name sorry), did I make a mistake? and can I take him out of the Master Ball and put him in another and reuse the Master one?

What are secret bases about and do they do anything in Single player?

Is there a pokemon you can put a lot of those special HM moves on? Currently i need 3 pokemon just to have all those moves availiable and its a hassle.. is there one that can take say 4 powers?

What is the ideal combination for a team? Currently I have that Emperor Penguin guy at 63 from the start, I have a Luxio that is the 3rd generation one Luxapro or something at level 66 (electricity) and I have the Dragon thingy you get from the top of the Mountain at lvl 53.. What else do I need to make a good all round party? And is there any need to make such a group.. Is there more to see in the game then what I have so far? i guess Id like to see all the pokemon and explore a bit as it all seems very deep.

Sorry this is so long (glad I got past the 4 word post thingy ;) at least), and thankyou in advance for any tips, urls or advice anyone can give a newb Pokemon trainer (even if I am a old one) :)

Thanks

diangelo
05-09-2007, 06:45 AM
I just checked my game and wanted to add I have:

Level 63 Empoleon
Level 68 Luxray

Those are the two I use the most for fights and I have a lvl 53 Time Dragon thing. His name starts with D

And I just captured a lvl 50 UXIE but I dont know what to use it for. He was really hard to capture. Took AGES!!

Pearl
05-09-2007, 07:19 AM
I just checked my game and wanted to add I have:

Level 63 Empoleon
Level 68 Luxray

Those are the two I use the most for fights and I have a lvl 53 Time Dragon thing. His name starts with D

And I just captured a lvl 50 UXIE but I dont know what to use it for. He was really hard to capture. Took AGES!!
That "Time Dragon" your reffering to is known as Dialga.
And Diangelo, you got many questions. I'll answer the one about the mining and secret bases. Making secret bases is an extra fun thing in the game, and when you have a person to link with, you can play capture the flag and steal you friends flag and bring it to you base.
And in mining, you can find Fossils, Gems, Plates, Stones, Shards, and other items.
You can obtain Spiritomb by getting the Odd keystone and talking to 32 People.
And please don't double post !!
P.s thiers a sticky thread that has questions and answers.

diangelo
05-09-2007, 07:31 AM
What is mining?

I also double posted because I wasnt sure what the rules where on edits etc. Will not do that next time.

What is SpiritTomb? (is it a pokemon?) I think I battled against one at some stage..

The problem with the sticky is its made for people who understand the basics of Pokemon, me I dont understand any of it.. I dont even know how to mine, or make bases.. I dont know if I can have them in single player or what they are used for, or what works well against what or even if a Pokemon can grow to be something else.

I dont even know the names of the pokemon I have or how breeding works (even though I just found a thread about it).

Hence why all the questions.. but thankyou for your reply, even if it opened up even more questions..

MorganKnives
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
You can get an Explorer Kit in one of the cities (I think the one with the bikes and it allows you to go underground. They have in game instructions to how it works since this is the first game it was in. For SpiritTomob, you have to talk to 32 people underground (which stinks because you have to do that by wireless with nearby people, not over the internet WiFi Connection.

And you can't reuse the master ball. Sorry.

As for ideal combinations, that up to you but try to get a balance of Pokemon types (eg, you don't want all electric types).

Btw, a pokemon is legendary if there is only ONE in the whole game. You usually battle them by seeing them and 'talking' to them but two of them you do this t and then have to chase over the whole map.

mootixguy
05-09-2007, 01:22 PM
and can I take him out of the Master Ball and put him in another and reuse the Master one?

Welcome!

And it would be quite funny if you could take him out of the Masterball... cos that would give you infinite Masterballs! Right?

But on the other hand, you don't need Masterballs to catch legends. I'm impressed that you even managed to catch Uxie. If you can, you can catch the others, since they're about the same difficulty. Just use the different balls, like Quick Ball, Dusk Ball, Timer Ball, to your advantage!

Skyler Kuhn
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
i find out who is legendary and who isn't, go to wikipedia.org and type in "Ledgendary pokemon" that has all the ledgendaryies of generation 1-3 the 4th generation legendaries are as follows
Uxie • Mesprit • Azelf • Dialga • Palkia • Heatran • Regigigas • Giratina • Cresselia • Manaphy • Darkrai • Shaymin • Arceus
(4th generration means Diamond or pearl games) type in the name of each pokemon into Wikipedia and you'll get tips on how to catch them! :happy: hope this helps!

diangelo
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the great help so far everyone. One more question I have is about the Tech Move things people keep giving me and that I find everywhere. What do I do with them? It says they only work once so I have this HUGE collection of them and I am scared to use them incase I waste them. So far I havent used one all through the game just because if I put the move on the wrong guy I wont be able to get it back.

Anyone offer me some tips on this.. Can they be replaced if I mess it up? Like can I buy them somewhere?

Also someone ingame said to me about how some trainers stop there pokemon from evolving so they can get certain moves. How do you stop a pokemon evolving? I am a bit lost on that as no matter what I do my pokemon always seem to change over time.

Whats the point of the Magikarp? Does it actually do anything of use later?

Can someone tell me what types work against what... ie Grass v Water? (I have a rough idea) but I cant seem to work out what works v Ghosts and Dragons and Dark and all those things.

Thanks again for those helping me with this.. Im kind of getting addicted to the game :redface: and I want to know about it all so I can eventually try multiplayer as I imagine it would be quite fun. :happy:

Garchomp9
05-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the great help so far everyone. One more question I have is about the Tech Move things people keep giving me and that I find everywhere. What do I do with them? It says they only work once so I have this HUGE collection of them and I am scared to use them incase I waste them. So far I havent used one all through the game just because if I put the move on the wrong guy I wont be able to get it back.

Anyone offer me some tips on this.. Can they be replaced if I mess it up? Like can I buy them somewhere?

Also someone ingame said to me about how some trainers stop there pokemon from evolving so they can get certain moves. How do you stop a pokemon evolving? I am a bit lost on that as no matter what I do my pokemon always seem to change over time.

Whats the point of the Magikarp? Does it actually do anything of use later?

Can someone tell me what types work against what... ie Grass v Water? (I have a rough idea) but I cant seem to work out what works v Ghosts and Dragons and Dark and all those things.

Thanks again for those helping me with this.. Im kind of getting addicted to the game :redface: and I want to know about it all so I can eventually try multiplayer as I imagine it would be quite fun. :happy:

http://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml

There is a link that I thought you might find interesting. It explains pretty much everything you have a question about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_types#Table_of_Pok.C3.A9mon_types

There is a link on the Pokemon types advantages and disadvantages. Go to section 8. There is a chart on it.

ACE91
05-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Most of the TMs can be bought somewhere else after you use them, but some of the stronger ones, including the ones that you get from Gym Leaders, are one-of-a-kind. This page (http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/tmhm.shtml) on Serebii.net lists every TM and where it can be found.

Speaking of which, if you're new to Pokémon, you should seriously take a look around Serebii.net (http://www.serebii.net/) and read up on the game. Serebii.net is one of the biggest Pokémon sites out there, and their D/P page (http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl) has just about everything that you need to know about the game.

naturalgenius
05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah, you can't change from a Master ball to something else.