PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Naruto

Alakazam
07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
After a staggering eighty episodes of the most boring, poorly animated, uninspired, and uncreative filler in the Naruto anime, I was one who was legitimately hopeful that the new series (Naruto Shippuden) would breathe new life into the show with a continuation of the original manga plot. But now its becoming clear to me that Shippuden is little more than smoke and mirrors, with a new soundtrack and some very nice looking animation.

There are two reasons why I've come to this conclusion about Shippuden:

1) They've. actually. stopped. showing. new. episodes. every. week. Am I the only one who remembers the good old days when they only skipped a week every ~15-20 episodes, AND made up for it by showing a double-episode the next week? The past FOUR CONSECUTIVE EPISODES have actually all aired with dead weeks in between them, and there are no double-eps to be seen. To make matters worse, the show is scheduled to only premiere EVERY OTHER week for at least the rest of the summer.

2) The content of the episodes themselves slowed WAY the hell down after Gaara was captured, to the point of being as painfully slow as some of the earlier Naruto material, or even...and yes, I dare say it, and I'm serious here - as slow as Dragonball Z! Did anyone see that recent episode that was completely dedicated to breaking a single barrier? I was very disappointed to have waited two weeks to see an episodes in which NOTHING important happened.

Now, I fully realize that longer anime series are bound to have their ups and downs, but I think everyone's patience with the Naruto anime is waning. I'm predicting here that it won't last - its going to begin to drop in popularity in Japan sooner or later, and it'll most likely see the same fate as Inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin - canceled to due lack of interest (but really due to the creators going way too far to milk the franchise.

It really makes me wonder if absurdly long mangas like Naruto are just not cut out to my adapted into an anime series at all...

skiboydoggy
07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
There is One Piece, which pretty much is still going strong, even if I personally don't watch it. If one takes a good look at many of the absurdly long manga and their anime adaptations, it's pretty easy to tell where each falls apart.

Naruto itself was doomed from the moment the fillers started, since it just showed a complete lack of creativity on the scriptwriters'/whoever decided to do fillers that long's part. 80 episodes of meh is just... Meh.

Dragonball Z was pretty much just the Manga's fault, as they seriously spent too much time charging up to entire Super Saiyan forms or something.

Now, Bleach, personally, I just skip the filler arcs, even if some people do like them, like the Bount arc and this Nightmare Arrancar arc. Apart from that it is good.

Inuyasha was just uninspired at best, with too many random demons along the way.

Now, if they wanted to make a long manga into anime, I say they try Negima again. The mix of action and comedy in it is just asking to be fillered without too much problem.

Alakazam
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
There is One Piece, which pretty much is still going strong, even if I personally don't watch it. If one takes a good look at many of the absurdly long manga and their anime adaptations, it's pretty easy to tell where each falls apart.

There was also Yu Yu Hakusho, which is one of my favorite shounen series. 113 eps long, but there was no filler or dull stretches of training, etc.

Naruto itself was doomed from the moment the fillers started, since it just showed a complete lack of creativity on the scriptwriters'/whoever decided to do fillers that long's part. 80 episodes of meh is just... Meh.

Agreed. I wonder how many people just gave up on the show altogether during the fillers.

Dragonball Z was pretty much just the Manga's fault, as they seriously spent too much time charging up to entire Super Saiyan forms or something.

Well, the funny thing is the DBZ actually finished (after a mind-boggling ~380 episodes, not counting the original series or GT), despite it being perhaps the most infamous sllooww shounen series. Did you realize that the Garlic Jr saga was filler? Me neither. Now's THAT's how filler should be done.

Now, Bleach, personally, I just skip the filler arcs, even if some people do like them, like the Bount arc and this Nightmare Arrancar arc. Apart from that it is good.

Yeah, I don't blame you. I did watch the Bounto arc, but I definately could've missed it - I also haven't watched been watching the nightmare arrancar crap (it really is boring).

Now, if they wanted to make a long manga into anime, I say they try Negima again. The mix of action and comedy in it is just asking to be fillered without too much problem.

Hmm...I've never heard of Negima *goes off to find out about it*

Kenny_C.002
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
There was also Yu Yu Hakusho, which is one of my favorite shounen series. 113 eps long, but there was no filler or dull stretches of training, etc.

I haven't seen Yu Yu, but 113 isn't exactly "absurdly long" either. It's been proven that almost all series would suck once they pass the 100 mark though. So this does help being the exception.

Agreed. I wonder how many people just gave up on the show altogether during the fillers.

I was one of them. Shippuden managed to hold me for 3 eps before I ditched it.

Well, the funny thing is the DBZ actually finished (after a mind-boggling ~380 episodes, not counting the original series or GT), despite it being perhaps the most infamous sllooww shounen series. Did you realize that the Garlic Jr saga was filler? Me neither. Now's THAT's how filler should be done.

A lot of DBZ was filler though, if I recall correctly. The flow the manga had was never that slow. If you take the charging up as filler, that's like half the series being filler. And yeah, Garlic Jr. was pretty good. :)

Yeah, I don't blame you. I did watch the Bounto arc, but I definately could've missed it - I also haven't watched been watching the nightmare arrancar crap (it really is boring).

The Nightmare Arrincar arc just ended because people stopped watching Bleach, I guess. The Bounto arc wasn't BAD, but it wasn't GOOD either. The problem nowadays is that fillers are very well defined, which hurts credibility in the first place. Still, Bleach did a pretty good job with its fillers, and it's stellar against what Naruto pumped out.

Hmm...I've never heard of Negima *goes off to find out about it*[/quote]

Negima is done by the same guy who did Love Hina. Negima had ~30 girls with the one boy. ^^''''

As far as I know, Negima never had a PROPER anime series yet. Both the first Negima and Negima?! were...not following the manga...like at all. At least Negima?! was relatively hilarious though.

And fillers with this series should be easy though. They only need to make fillers similar to Fumoffu (even though Fumoffu wasn't filler), and it'll be good.

Alakazam
07-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I haven't seen Yu Yu, but 113 isn't exactly "absurdly long" either. It's been proven that almost all series would suck once they pass the 100 mark though. So this does help being the exception.

...and the English dub is actually good. I recommend it. ^_^

I was one of them. Shippuden managed to hold me for 3 eps before I ditched it.

I ditched it in that I didn't watch the vast majority of the filler itself, but I have been watching Shippuden...not sure how much longer that's going to last (probably at least until the end of the next two fights, since I read that part of the manga and have been pretty pumped to see them).

A lot of DBZ was filler though, if I recall correctly. The flow the manga had was never that slow. If you take the charging up as filler, that's like half the series being filler. And yeah, Garlic Jr. was pretty good. :)

Good point...half the series really is powering-up and people staring at each other (as opposed to actually fighting)

Negima is done by the same guy who did Love Hina. Negima had ~30 girls with the one boy. ^^''''

As far as I know, Negima never had a PROPER anime series yet. Both the first Negima and Negima?! were...not following the manga...like at all. At least Negima?! was relatively hilarious though.

And fillers with this series should be easy though. They only need to make fillers similar to Fumoffu (even though Fumoffu wasn't filler), and it'll be good.

Haha, I'll have to check it out then.

Jet
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Pokémon is absurdly long...

seriously though, who knows, maybe they're working on some new material... maybe... maybe the artists were sick or something, I dunno... there is also the possibility of what you said... but it would be a real shame if Naruto just ended like that. Not much of a fan on the series, but the characters are somewhat... I dunno what's the right word... "moe"?

Though yea... 80 eps of fillers is overdoing it... if they start another fight between naruto and sasuke, maybe they could kick things up a bit...

@One Piece: Is it THAT good? o_O neve bother watching it... the fact that the main character's name is Luffy turns me off already... much more the fact of teh farting and crap (so I've heard)

@DBZ: I said it b4, I'll say it again... nNever was, never will be a fan of DB.

@Negima: Yea... Negima... XD they should do more... as well as Love Hina... actually, all harem animé should be continued (like Vandread t_t).

Jack of Clovers
07-04-2007, 08:23 AM
@One Piece: Is it THAT good? o_O neve bother watching it... the fact that the main character's name is Luffy turns me off already... much more the fact of teh farting and crap (so I've heard)
I don't know where I'd be without One Piece. It has a great moral about always fighting for your dreams and your nakama (friends). The animation may scare you away at first, or even how many episodes (300+ so far), but the storyline, the characters, and most of all, the adventure should inspire you to keep watching. Great comedy for adults. It does have fillers, but they aren't terrible like I've heard other Animes, Naruto especially.

Heh, got a little off track there. As far as the death of Naruto, yea, I wouldn't mind. It isn't that great a series to begin with. :ermm:

~Jack~

Saremu
07-04-2007, 08:32 AM
I feel that watching the Naruto anime is a complete waste of time. If I had cable I would, but the manga is so much more exiting to me and it gets to the point with minimal slowness. The animation of television anime never mesures up to what I have in my mind after reading the manga. I think it looks awkward sometimes. Gaara and Lee's fight was pretty much the highlight of the anime for me. There a plenty of better fights in the manga, but I just don't feel like dissapointing myself by watching the anime adaptations. I watched the first episodes of Naruto Shipuuden on Youtube and I was already hating Gaara and Deidara's fight scene, so I stopped.

2wings
07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Fillers? Im not really a fan of Japanese Anime but i have watched random episodes to know whats going on, Naruto going off without Ero Sinnin and coming back in Naruto Shippuden after learning some new Jitsu. I liked the fighting scenes but the storyline wasnt so good, not a good as One Piece IMO. Going back to Fillers, arent those the episodes where Naruto Randomly fightes the ninjas with no village? What were they called? =S But i remember a long stretch of boring Episodes in which i prefered to watch the News to Naruto. The death of Naruto didnt have any affect on me since i knew it was coming, But the death of the Hokage really touched me, since the old guy was one of my favourite characters.

Alakazam
07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I'd just like to point out that the art in One Piece makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Yes, I'm sure the dub doesn't do the series justice, but it just screams silly kid's show and doesn't seem like its worth seeing.

Naruto manga: Meh. The art in some of the fight scenes are so chaotic that it sometimes tough to figure out what the hell's going on. Then again, I've never been a big fan of manga in general anyway.

Aeroglyphix
07-06-2007, 05:00 PM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8229/118289132577hz0.jpg

Alakazam
07-07-2007, 12:15 AM
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8229/118289132577hz0.jpg

...clearly you've not seen any Shippuden.

SPOILER
After the time jump, Sakura also becomes the disciple of one of the Three Sannin (Tsunade, Fifth Hokage). So not only does she become quite knowledgeable about healing arts (read - usefulness), but her taijustu, which she never seemed to use before meeting Tsunade, seems to be much stronger than Naruto's (not that Naruto ever studies Taijutsu, but still...)

Kenny_C.002
07-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Most of the kids don't even know what a sub IS, let alone watching Shippuden.

LordZangoose
07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
I canot honestly say I've ever enjoyed the Naruto anime. Too focused on the fighting for me. The storylines can be okay at times, but as a generalization, it drops off for half a season after any major conflict IMO. Wouldn't be sad to see it go.

I just wished they had more Shaman king...

Blue-
07-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I haven't been watching Naruto lately. It gets too boring watching the same fight scene go on for 14 or more episodes. And the only thing in the episode being some long speech about how Naruto won't lose to so-and-so, etc. I was never particularly interested in the characters, either. So, if the Naruto series ever dies, it won't phase me.

Draconic_Espeon
07-07-2007, 12:48 AM
To be honest, I've never been much of a fan of anime in general. Yes, I will watch it, but I've always prefered manga.

The Naruto anime I never much kept up with. I have no idea if it follows the story line or not, considering all the episodes that I've seen were outside what parts I've read of the manga. I do like the manga, despite it's tendencies to go on and on with a single fight, though One Piece is much worse about it. Shaman King I honestly lost interest in.

Charizard Michelle
07-07-2007, 01:15 AM
OH my gosh! How does Naturo keeps it fans and haven't died to see the Three Year Skip? I mean I really don't enjoy the anime that much. I mean I watch Naturo but I am not a really good fan of it. I am only keeping up with the dub and it is kind of boring me with how the fights are super long and then with the need to tell the guy you fighting your personal life story. Not something I like to hear. I mean DBZ was like that too but they didn't went on to tell their life story in a fight. That is the big thing that gets to me when it comes to Naturo. I am so not looking forwards to the fillar arcs.

Also it doesn't help that Cartoon Network is treating Naturo like the best thing ever when One Piece (Dubbed) so beats it out of the water (Yes. I do like the current ONe Piece dub).

I have to agree with Jack all the way about One PIece. Really I like the animation for One Piece. It is colorful and not so plain compare to other animes. That is one of the things that turns me on to it next to the storyline and characters. Also One Piece does a better job with fillars compare to Naturo since they don't last that long (I think the longest fillar arc is only eleven episodes) and they place them in good parts to. ONe Piece to me is so much a better anime compare to Naturo.

To me I can live without Naturo as you can see.

Finch
07-07-2007, 01:45 AM
I know pretty much nothing about anime... I have Naruto season 1 on DVD... I like it... that's my side of the story. I'm not surprised that it's going downhill though, Pokemon did right after Johto (I thought).

Kenny_C.002
07-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Naruto had the problem of having not enough material. The manga can only move so fast, causing the anime to catch up. Once the anime is caught up, they have 2 choices: either make it seasoned like the American shows such as House, Prison Break, etc., or make random fillers. The Japanese market works differently than the US market, and they decided that fillers is the better option. Thus fillers were born. And they sucked.

Aeroglyphix
07-07-2007, 04:07 AM
...clearly you've not seen any Shippuden.

SPOILER
After the time jump, Sakura also becomes the disciple of one of the Three Sannin (Tsunade, Fifth Hokage). So not only does she become quite knowledgeable about healing arts (read - usefulness), but her taijustu, which she never seemed to use before meeting Tsunade, seems to be much stronger than Naruto's (not that Naruto ever studies Taijutsu, but still...)

Actually I have 1-18

Naruto is the center of attention.

skiboydoggy
07-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Naruto had the problem of having not enough material. The manga can only move so fast, causing the anime to catch up. Once the anime is caught up, they have 2 choices: either make it seasoned like the American shows such as House, Prison Break, etc., or make random fillers. The Japanese market works differently than the US market, and they decided that fillers is the better option. Thus fillers were born. And they sucked.
That is true, but I always figured they would have enough brains to jump to a second season rather than have EIGHTY freakin' episodes of bloody fillers. Unless the Japanese like fillers, because if that's the case, I just lost all respect for them.

Leoblaze
07-07-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't know where I'd be without One Piece. It has a great moral about always fighting for your dreams and your nakama (friends). The animation may scare you away at first, or even how many episodes (300+ so far), but the storyline, the characters, and most of all, the adventure should inspire you to keep watching. Great comedy for adults. It does have fillers, but they aren't terrible like I've heard other Animes, Naruto especially.

think your right althought I watch the dub for some odd reason I prefer it to the actuall anime I mean, its not that bad and your right on the inspiration, although it could do for a tad shed of blood here, I mean come on cartoon network you show blood on Naruto and you wont on one piece even though it has a ton of blood edited out...

I just wished they had more Shaman king...

Same here I thought the anime was worthless but then I caught up afterwards and I just wish there was more to it they cut it off so abruptly.

Think whats going to happen on cartoonetwork when Sasuke leaves, man how long will they play out the fillers even thought thats what the fillers did. Dub Naruto is just going to fall into a deeper grave with bleach following shortly after when they get to the bount arcs...

Kenny_C.002
07-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Well most kids won't even know that Naruto's doing fillers, so there should be no problems on this side. Bleach's Bount arc isn't bad, per se. To the very least it's an arc that did something.

Knightblazer
07-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Well most kids won't even know that Naruto's doing fillers, so there should be no problems on this side. Bleach's Bount arc isn't bad, per se. To the very least it's an arc that did something.

Agreed about the Bleach fillers. The very first time I watched Bleach was during those Bount Arc episodes. And that was enough to pique my interest. xD Shows that Bleach fillers had something in there, at least.

And about Naruto... meh, what's really keeping me there is simply to kill my boredom time. =P I totally ditched the fillers after a few of the arcs, and now that Shippuden's up, I only watch it by sneaking into my brother's computer. ><; Seriously, I think a little (scratch that, a lot) of bucking up is needed if they want Naruto to be number one again.

Knightblazer

skiboydoggy
07-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Like working on the animation, or being at least a tad more inspired in what they do. I know they need to insert extra scenes to fill up the thirty minute slot if they don't intend to catch up to the manga in ten weeks, but honestly. Naruto didn't give THAT many long-winded speeches in the manga.