PDA

View Full Version : Umbreon

Odyssey
10-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Moonlight
Toxic
Protect
Confuse Ray

Ev, Ivs, and Nature all directed towards defense, SP defense, and HP.

Good set up? or what's better?

RonRaygunX3
10-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Here's an Umbreon set that I think works better.

Umbreon@Leftovers
Impish
252 Def, 252 Hp, 6 Sp.Def
Charm
Meanlook
BatonPass
Moonlight/Wish

Switch in on a troublesome physical sweeper, Meanlook them so they can't escape, then Charm them until they are practically useless. Once that's done you can BatonPass out and heal the pokemon you are bringing in with wish.

Aelitaluver30
12-15-2007, 07:30 AM

Umbreon@Leftovers
Impish
Charm
Meanlook
BatonPass
Moonlight/Wish

Switch in on a troublesome physical sweeper, Meanlook them so they can't escape, then Charm them until they are practically useless. Once that's done you can BatonPass out and heal the pokemon you are bringing in with wish.

those are some pretty good moves for an Umbreon. i think they work better too.

Beautiful
12-15-2007, 01:43 PM

Umbreon@Leftovers
Impish
Hidden Power - Toxic - Faint Attack
Meanlook
BatonPass
Moonlight/Wish

I Did Like Your's But No Attack, And You Would Be In Trouble If That Was Your Last Pokemon.
So You Rather Have An Attack.

Bold Was Edited :)

Prince J
12-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Umbreon @Leftovers
EVs: 252HP//252Def//6SDef
Bold Nature
~Mean Look
~Baton Pass
~Taunt/Charm
~Wish

Fire Away
12-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately, using Umbreon is like saying

'Hi Gyarados! Plz Taunt me and proceed to dominate me and my teammates! <3Umbreon! ^_^'

IMO in this metagame, putting some attack on Umbreon is almost essential. Over Charm on the mentioned set, because IMO you should be passing to something that can counter the trapped Pokemon anyways.

Ultima Boss
12-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I could not imagine an Umbreon facing a Gyarados, especially following metagame tiers, unless I missed something.

If you really want to face a Taunt user with Umbreon then be my guest, but you will be better off switching out to counter; he isn't built for offense, unfortunately.

Fire Away
12-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I could not imagine an Umbreon facing a Gyarados, especially following metagame tiers, unless I missed something.

If you really want to face a Taunt user with Umbreon then be my guest, but you will be better off switching out to counter; he isn't built for offense, unfortunately.

*shrug* It's a valid point, but I'd still like something remotely offensive. If Umbreon switches in on something it would love to trap (random Blissey and the ilk), Blissey is definitely going to switch to a Taunt-user (Hi Gyarados!). Charm is annoying, but after a Taunt, Gyarados has time to regain his attack and begin bolstering speed as well, while you do what? Obviously after a Taunt you're going to switch to a Gyarados counter, in which case, Gyarados will switch too. What has Umbreon accomplished, then? Nothing except for prolonging a match in a boring way. :x

Dark Pulse can allow him to at least do some damage that can't be healed by switching. Toxic can do that too on the switch, though, since admittedly an actual attack has little use.

Aelitaluver30
12-15-2007, 09:58 PM
*shrug* It's a valid point, but I'd still like something remotely offensive. If Umbreon switches in on something it would love to trap (random Blissey and the ilk), Blissey is definitely going to switch to a Taunt-user (Hi Gyarados!). Charm is annoying, but after a Taunt, Gyarados has time to regain his attack and begin bolstering speed as well, while you do what? Obviously after a Taunt you're going to switch to a Gyarados counter, in which case, Gyarados will switch too. What has Umbreon accomplished, then? Nothing except for prolonging a match in a boring way. :x

Dark Pulse can allow him to at least do some damage that can't be healed by switching. Toxic can do that too on the switch, though, since admittedly an actual attack has little use.
if i had an Umbreon, i would teach it Taunt. If it works on an Abra, it'll work on a Gyarados.

Sasuke_Uchiha_12
12-19-2007, 02:31 AM
if i had an Umbreon, i would teach it Taunt. If it works on an Abra, it'll work on a Gyarados.
Well,i dont know about you but mines good with attacks

Umbreon
Level 100
Bite
Hyper Beam (Last Resort)
Moonlight
Quick Attack (Surprisingly Strong)

Ultima Boss
12-19-2007, 03:27 AM
With that arsenal, you must be facing your friends in real life, because Offensive Umbreons do not get one very far Competitively. Next time, experiment with Netbattle/Shoddybattle and/or do some research before giving us such empty suggestions.

seamyo
12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
dude it aint cool to just put ppl's suggestions down....i no it aint the "golden standard" but element of supries is nice.....even if it doesnt work. i no i wudnt hav minded a quick attack on my fredns focus sashed 1hp ninjask the other day

hey man my umbreon is
(eeeep sorry cant remember the nature :s i know it raises one of the def's but lowers one of the attacks)
EV: 252 HP/the rest evenly divided beteen both def's
Toxic
confuse ray
mean look
baton pass(after mean looks sets up my magnezone/mismagius nicely :D)

Ultima Boss
12-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I wasn't putting anyone down, I was giving a suggestion regarding a different approach in looking at people's teams. I could say the same for you, especially.

In regards to Quick Attack, I suppose that could be a filler move if you know that your opponent loves to abuse Focus Sash.

Itachi_2007
12-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EV's: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SATK
Bold Nature (+DEF, -ATK)
- Baton Pass
- Mean Look
- Wish
- Dark Pulse.

Spongebob Number One Fan
12-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EV's: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SATK
Bold Nature (+DEF, -ATK)
- Baton Pass
- Mean Look
- Wish
- Dark Pulse.

Dark Pulse is no on umbreon. Seriously, if it's your last pokemon, you're way better off trying to wear the foe down with toxic than attack with umbreon who has a lousy 60 base Special attack stat.

Fire Away
12-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Dark Pulse is no on umbreon. Seriously, if it's your last pokemon, you're way better off trying to wear the foe down with toxic than attack with umbreon who has a lousy 60 base Special attack stat.

Dark Pulse can do some pretty nasty things to Gengar/Azelf/Starmies and co. It 2HKOs them, barring random sets that are extremely bulky.

Itachi_2007
12-22-2007, 11:41 AM

Toxic is lol. I wouldn't really use it on anything. Dark Pulse, like said by Fire Away, is pretty needed this Gen.

Spongebob Number One Fan
12-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Toxic is lol. I wouldn't really use it on anything. Dark Pulse, like said by Fire Away, is pretty needed this Gen.

How is toxic "lol"? what's "lol" is putting a special attack on something with no SAtk EVs and 60 base SAtk. THAT is what's lol here.

Seriously, dark pulse hits what...3 pokemon? What about all the others? Steels and other dark types can just absorb that like cnady. Besides, umbreon can't switch in on gengar to save its life. Focus blast is going to really hurt, especially from a specs variant. Same with alakazam. Granted, they can't take these attacks well from umbreon, but umbreon gets 2HKOed by most of this stuff anyways and even if it doesn't, I don't think an umbreon with 20 HP left is going to last long.

Toxic is good for umbreon because it can trap and wear the foe down with toxic. No clerics, no status absorbers, but old fashoned stalling to the bone. Seriously, anything with a recovery move can pretty much outstall dark pulse umbreon.

Fire Away
12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
IMO 2HKOing some of the most threatening special sweepers in the game makes Dark Pulse a worthy investment. Strictly speaking I'd still normally go to Toxic, but don't pretend it doesn't have its uses if you're really Azelf/Gengar weak or something.

Spongebob Number One Fan
12-22-2007, 07:34 PM
IMO 2HKOing some of the most threatening special sweepers in the game makes Dark Pulse a worthy investment. Strictly speaking I'd still normally go to Toxic, but don't pretend it doesn't have its uses if you're really Azelf/Gengar weak or something.

Yeah, but in general, what do you think will come in handy more? Umbreon is my 2nd favorite pokemon ever, I've exausted all option on it, lol

Itachi_2007
12-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah, but in general, what do you think will come in handy more? Umbreon is my 2nd favorite pokemon ever, I've exausted all option on it, lol

Dark Pulse. Because seriously, we gave all our opinions and facts on it too. :/It pretty much needs Dark Pulse. Because, think, what if It's Heracross? They switch him in, and all hope for Umbreon is lost.

Heracross: Hi, Umbreon. Close Combat!
Umbreon: I am your father, but I have no moves.
Heracross. Right.. *Destroys Umbreon.*

Fire Away
12-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Dark Pulse. Because seriously, we gave all our opinions and facts on it too. :/It pretty much needs Dark Pulse. Because, think, what if It's Heracross? They switch him in, and all hope for Umbreon is lost.

Uh, why is Umbreon staying in on Heracross anyways when he has two 120 BP STAB moves that hit Umbreon for SE damage? :/

Ultima Boss
12-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, we have given our opinions, but no proven facts. Damage calculations really help those who insist on giving facts.

I could see Dark Pulse being used as a filler if you know your opponent loves to use Sweepers weak to Dark that have mediocre Special Defense, as provided, and have no means to counteract. However, against a Heracross, how effective is Umbreon's offense against Heracross' Close Combat when you can switch to a Counter? I all ready provided my reason for the use of Quick Attack, so we have reached a consensus of:

http://pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/sugimori/sugimori197.png
-Item: Leftovers
-Nature: Bold
-Ability: Synchronize
-EVs: 212 HP / 252 DEF / 40 SpD
-Moveset:
Wish
Baton Pass
Mean Look / Taunt
Toxic / Quick Attack / Dark Pulse

Leftovers is a given on him, so no arguments there. You can play around with Calm, but maximizing Defense is preferred in today's metagame. 212 HP EVs is optimal for Leftovers recovery and allows more Special Defense EVs to be passed. Wish and Baton Pass are self-explanatory, for recovery purposes. You can pass Mean Look and Taunt via Baton Pass, and we have discussed the last slot. If you decide to use Dark Pulse then you may need to modify Special Attack EVs necessary for carrying out his purposes.

Play around with this, if you so-desire.

Spongebob Number One Fan
12-23-2007, 12:35 AM

I know we all have our opinions, but your logic makes no sense at all. Dark Pulse is RESISTED by heracross, which let's not forget has 95 base SDef anyways. what is that, a 7HKO? Yeah, good luck surviving that many megahorns or close combats.

And what kind of idiot leaves umbreon in against heracross?

ParadoxiticO
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I know this thread is old but umbreon is one of my favorite pokemon and seeing him shift from from an OU to a BL/UU pokemon troubling. I have been working on a Umbreon that might work out nicely especially on a trick room team.

Umbreon (trick room team)
Relaxed Nature/Leftovers
EV Spread 252 HP / 72 Atk / 182 SpD
Curse
Faint Attack
Wish
Baton Pass/Taunt

Alright so with a max IV in defense and no ev points Umbreon's defense reaches 281. Umbreon's neutral max IV attack is 182, with the 72 ev points bring it to 200.
So if I'm correct that bringing your stat up a level increases your attack by 1.5 during battle this brings your attack up to 300 and Defense up to 421 (rounding down of course).
This is not too shabby at all.
After trick room is in place all you need to do is bring in umbreon against a special attacker (that doesn't have Focus Blast) or a wall and curse. And there you have it invincible umbreon. You can then baton pass to a physical sweeper or if you are running taunt stop some one from trying to set up on you.
Non trick room umbreon would work similarly but with payback instead and Protect to activate Wish or Yawn to force a switch.