PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god! He tricked the scarf!

Impulsive
11-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Role Call
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa065.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa472.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa485.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa134.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa442.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa448.png

Main objective:~ Set up Lucario to sweep.
...Well what else is there?!?!?

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/alakazam.png
Alakazam @ Choice Scarf
Timid (Inner Focus)
252 Sp. A / 252 Spd / 6 Hp
~ Psychic
~ Trick
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Grass Knot

WTF! Zam with a Scarf! No it isn't a typo. Behold! The fastest thing in all of Pokemon! It serves as a nice lead, crushing both scarf Gengar and Salamence leads. Bronzong may be a little threatening, what with Gyro Ball, but I'm hoping they'll predict a switch and use SR instead, allowing me a free Trick! I need someone to run a damage calc to see if a Gyro Ball from a standard Brongzong can kill a Timid Zam in one hit. Keep in mind the Bronzong will be scarfed when attacking hee hee. Even if it doesn't get an oppurtunity to Trick, it still serves as a great revenge killer. One problem is that there are fewer things that I can trick scarf to, as Specs can be tricked to Gyarados, and such, but not Scarf. Only bulky walls and tanks can be targeted. Also, I'm worried how much firepower we'll lose with just scarf, and Pursuit Weavile kind of slaughters us (heck any pursuit user for that matter). It'll be much easier for Lucario to sweep if Celebi, Cresselia, and Slowbro all have a Choice Scarf. As for moveslots, Psychic is a must, along with Trick. Grass Knot is for common Hippowdon and Swampert leads, and Hidden Power Ice for Salamence leads, and possibly revenge killing Dragonite, and such. Shadow Ball also has its usage for getting Azelf and Starmie. I need help deciding moves.

Purpose
- Get an early surprise move, and take out one opponent.
- Serve as a revenge killer.
- Burden a wall for the rest of the match.
- Gives Lucario an easier time to sweep later on.
- Draws out physical sweepers and walls, giving us a better understanding of their team make-up.

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/gliscor.png
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Impish (Hyper Cutter)
252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 Atk
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang
~ Roost
~ Stealth Rock

Oh great, a standard Pokemon. Oh well, this is OU isn't it? It simply sets up Stealth Rock to weaken opponents for a sweep, not very different from Hippowdon. It serves as a solid physical wall, and decent offensive coverage. Something important is that it'll stop Heracross and physical Lucario, both of which give our Lucario trouble. It's not so bad really. Spiritomb walks all over these first two Pokes, and we need a reliable special wall. We also need an answer to Weezing, Hippowdon (Alakazam isn't a "counter"), Weavile, and Electivire. Gyarados and bulky waters = problem, along with Cress.

Purpose:
- Serves as a stable physical wall.
- Sets up SR, to weaken opposing Pokemon.
- Being a physical wall, it'll cause many switches among physical sweepers, and stop Heracross and physical Lucario, which give Lucario problems.

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/heatran.png
Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid (Flash Fire)
252 Spd / 232 Sp. Atk / 20 Hp
~ Taunt
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
~ Explosion

Well at least this isn't standard. Here's the plan really: Come in on a wall, preferably something that'll use Will-O-Wisp, or has no moves that will hurt Heatran, Taunt, and begin the bashing. I didn't want another Scarf Heatran, as it's too common, and we already have Zam for our speed-killing needs. I've never used a Heatran like this, but reading that it'll be able to take down Blissey and Cress just sounds so much fun! Weavile won't do much except for Brick Break, which isn't that threatening. Spiritomb will hands down die from this. Weezing, same thing with Spiritomb. I just love how Heatran can completely handicap and destroy two of Gliscor's worst enemies. It's another wall-breaker, which will be able to slow down Cress and eliminate it, making it easier for Lucario, and get rid of bulky ghosts, which Lucario also hates. Dusknoir and Spiritomb won't know what'll hit them! Bulky waters are a worry, despite Zam's Grass Knot possibility. Hippowdon, Electivire, and Gyarados also remain as threats. Infernape worries me :(
Lava Plume deserves consideration, as burning Cresselia sounds so sweet!

Purpose:
- Provides coverage for Gliscor and Zam, stopping some of their big counters.
- Eliminates bulky ghost types, allowing Lucario an easier sweep.
- Beats or at the very least whittles down Blissey and Cresselia, allowing an easier sweep.
- Provides a helpful fire immunity.
- Typing and decent defenses gives a good walling combo with Gliscor

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/vaporeon.png
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold (Water Absorb)
252 Def / 188 Hp / 68 Sp.Atk
~ Wish
~ Surf
~ Protect
~ Hidden Power ( Electric )

Gee, I don't know. Vaporeon never seemed to me like a powerful double wall. I don't think it is, but it makes a pretty good bulky water. Wish is there obviously for self recovery, but also to pass Wishes onto other teammates, the biggest one being Heatran. Surf for reliable stab, Toxic for stalling, and Protect to let Toxic and Wish do their things. This guy will be our main switch-in to Hippowdon if Zam didn't Grass Knot it, and also our answer to Infernape. Because we're lacking Hidden Power Electric, I'm afraid Gyarados will walk all over us. Electivire is also a problem. Not much to say really, except it's mostly used to take out bulky ground types, and maybe Toxic stall the bulky waters. I'm worried without a cleric, then once Vaporeon is poisoned or burned, it's pretty much gone after a few turns. Everyone else doesn't have much of a problem with passive damage, so I'll see how well we do without a cleric for now. Again, Electivire screws us over, and Gyarados is a bit frightening. Salamence is also a bit of a threat. I really hope Heatran can take a Draco Meteor.

Purpose:
- Wish-pass to other teammembers.
- Weaken things through Toxic-stalling.
- Take out or weaken bulky ground and water types.
- Stops Infernape

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/spiritomb.png
Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Calm (Pressure)
252 Hp / 152 Def / 106 Sp.Def
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Shadow Ball
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Hooray! We have a status absorber! It's also going to be (not the best, but decent) Electivire counter. Switch in, rest if necessary, and hope to god Will-O-Wisp hits. Because it's going to be facing off against Electivire, Shadow Ball would be a better option, as we don't want to voluntarily activate motor drive. Then again, HP electric strikes Gyarados hard, and even if Electivire gets the boost, a burn will render it useless. But SleepTalk could easily backfire, so Shadow Ball is a safer option. Spiritomb also makes a great Gengar and Azelf counter, which is very useful. It's not our primary concern, but it can block rapid spin so SR stays. Donphan gets burned, and Starmie is hit hard no matter which path we take. I think Spiritomb will make me proud. It also completes a sturdy Spiritomb/Vaporeon/Heatran/Gliscor combo, lol.

Purpose:
- Absorb status
- Counter Electivire, and to a lesser extent Gyarados
- Blocks Rapid Spin
- Counters common threats

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/lucario.png
Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant (Inner Focus)
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp
~ Close Combat
~ Extremespeed
~ Swords Dance
~ Stone Edge

Saving our best for last. Once the field is full of dying Pokemon, either statused, whittled down, and ready to be wiped, Lucario comes out and dances. Then he sweeps! The main strategy here is have Heatran out. Hopefully they'll bring in some sort of wall, Blissey, Bronzong, etc. Heatran Taunts, and hopefully they will stay in, while I switch in Lucario. They can't status from the Taunt, they switch, and I SD on the same turn. And the destruction begins! I chose Bullet Punch mainly for Gengar and Aerodactyl, but I'm worried Infernape will outspeed and kill us. Close Combat for stab, Stone Edge for Gyarados, Salamence, and any other flying type. Extremespeed remains as a viable option. As for our remaining threats, Gyarados may be running rampant, but with Stone Edge it shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. Electivire is an easy close combat target. Specsmence worries me.

Well, that's the team :)

Problems:
- No reliable special wall (unless Vaporeon counts as one)
- Weakness to trapping strategies (Pursuit>Alakazam, Arena Trap>Heatran)
- No reliable answer to Gyarados
- No answer to Subseeders
- Specsmence may give us trouble
If there are any more, tell me, and if they seem reasonable I'll post them here!

Pros:
- Unexpected lead
- Wish-passing
- SR support
- RS blocking
- Status absorber
- Revenge killer
- Diverse typing
- A few unexpected movesets

Rate away! Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

P.S. NO Platinum movesets/moves, please. Diamond/Pearl only

ChrisDPG
11-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I think you do have a counter to gyarados. If it doesn't have a berry or two DD's, then vaporeon would be able to kill it with HP Electric, I believe.

The Jr Trainer
11-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I may not be an expert team rater but, Lucario likes a Jolly Nature; that way he outspeeds 252 speed EV Adamant Natured Salamence which you'll destroy with Stone Edge. The drop is power won't affect it very much.

crystalvelox
11-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Wow. A clone team of Kid Icarus's from smogon made back in july, even down to the descriptions lol.

Good Team not really much to change. Lacks power. Specs Heatran I think could solve some power issues.

Suggestion perhaps crunch over stone edge to hit celebi, cresslia and dusknoir. Cresslia and Celebi can annoy a good portion of this team.

I may not be an expert team rater but, Lucario likes a Jolly Nature; that way he outspeeds 252 speed EV Adamant Natured Salamence which you'll destroy with Stone Edge. The drop is power won't affect it very much.

Lucario benefits more from adamant. Jolly does not outrun many more pokemon that would make it more benefical than adamant, but it is a nice surprise. Adamant with swords dance gives crunch and close combat good chances to OHKO or get 7/8 damage done on pokemon like skarmory, so with stealth rock support they get OHKOed for sure.

-Holland-
11-07-2008, 05:58 AM
Wow. A clone team of Kid Icarus's from smogon made back in july, even down to the descriptions lol.

Good Team not really much to change. Lacks power. Specs Heatran I think could solve some power issues.

Suggestion perhaps crunch over stone edge to hit celebi, cresslia and dusknoir. Cresslia and Celebi can annoy a good portion of this team.

Lucario benefits more from adamant. Jolly does not outrun many more pokemon that would make it more benefical than adamant, but it is a nice surprise. Adamant with swords dance gives crunch and close combat good chances to OHKO or get 7/8 damage done on pokemon like skarmory, so with stealth rock support they get OHKOed for sure.

Lucario's going to 2HKO Skarmory after a Swords Dance either way. Maybe Stealth Rock damage helps get it done in one turn, but Skarmory usually knows now to not dwell in the wake of a Lucario with Swords Dance. Seriously, passing 299 is a monumental thing in the OU metagame, even if it's just a narrow margin.

As for Lucario, actually, you may need Crunch to get rid of Cresselia and Celebi if Heatran happens to die, but I think Stone Edge could prove to be vital coverage in the end, especially if you opt for Jolly to outspeed Salamence; if you can't kill the thing, then there's no need to be outrunning it.

I never really understood the concept of Ice Fang being so crucial on Gliscor, especially since Garchomp is now gone, and Flygon, Dragonite, and Salamence can all thwart him with special attacks (although Flygon may be at risk). If he's your Heracross counter, you might as well give him Aerial Ace so he can get the job done and be over with it.

As a last criticism, I would personally use Yawn over Protect on Vaporeon, since it provokes many, many switches, and screws with the other team if you bring it out mid- or late-game, after you have evaluated the playing ground. I do see the use in Protect, but it's typically easy to tell when an attack is coming at Vaporeon. This is just my personal opinion, however.

Overall, however, pretty good team.