PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Pearl Team

Poke_Sakif
01-18-2009, 03:43 PM
This is my team I am going to use for competitive play.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Purpose: Lead
Trait: Pressure
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/Atk 252/Spd 252
~ Pursuit
~ Brick Break
~ Ice Punch
~ Night Slash

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Purpose: Mixed
Trait: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant
EVs: Atk 252/Spe 216/40 SpAtk
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Aerial Ace
~ Thunder Bolt

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Purpose: Physical Sweeper
Trait: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake
~ Crunch

Alakazam @ Expert Belt
Purpose: Special Sweeper
Trait: Synchronize
Nature: Timid
~ Calm Mind
~ Psychic
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast

Blissey @ Leftovers
Purpose: Tank
Trait: Natural Cure
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Spe
~ Stealth Rock
~ SoftBoiled
~ Seismic Toss
~ Thunder Wave

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Purpose: Spiker
Trait: Keen Eye
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/16 Spe
~ Drill Peck
~ Roost
~ Spikes
~ Whirwind

KingKipper
01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
seems like a decent team

Verystrait42
01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
I suggest you dont use this team for competitive battling, seeing as how garchomp is uber. Go to www.smogon.com for better movesets for all your pokes, because this teem needs a complete overhaul. And do you by chance know what EV's are?

xcolbs
01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
I would love to help, but could you please edit the post and list their assigned EVs so that I have a better idea of what their functions in battle are (i.e., Mixed Sweeper, Special Wall, etc.)?

Yoda55
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
when we know the EVS then we will help you.:happy:

cutter kirby
01-19-2009, 01:19 AM
for the movesets, dragonite doesnt need aerial ace or thunderbolt. If its a dragon dancer go with dragon dance,outrage,earthquake, and fire blast/stone edge. Its better to use sallamence for dragon dancing though. If you need dragonite and need it to be mixed, try surf, fire blast, superpower,outrage(I just made up the set). Your walls will get owned by the common mixape. watchout for those!

Dark Turtwig
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
for the movesets, dragonite doesnt need aerial ace or thunderbolt. If its a dragon dancer go with dragon dance,outrage,earthquake, and fire blast/stone edge. Its better to use sallamence for dragon dancing though. If you need dragonite and need it to be mixed, try surf, fire blast, superpower,outrage(I just made up the set). Your walls will get owned by the common mixape. watchout for those!

Acually, he doesn't get owned, because he has Zam. Alakazam is faster than ape, and rapes it with Psychic. But it would be nice to have another ape counter.
Anyway, your team gets absolutely destroyed by a Swords Dance Lucario. Luke can just switch in on Blissey, Swords Dance predicting a switch, and you've practically lost the game. Extremespeed KO's Weavile and Zam, and the rest of your team dies to Ice Punch/CC.

-Holland-
01-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Acually, he doesn't get owned, because he has Zam. Alakazam is faster than ape, and rapes it with Psychic. But it would be nice to have another ape counter.
Anyway, your team gets absolutely destroyed by a Swords Dance Lucario. Luke can just switch in on Blissey, Swords Dance predicting a switch, and you've practically lost the game. Extremespeed KO's Weavile and Zam, and the rest of your team dies to Ice Punch/CC.

And this is likely due to the fact that your team feels compelled to be setting up half the time, as half your team carries set-up moves. Between Dragonite and Tyranitar, you're going to have to leave one to Dragon Dancing (I'd say Tyranitar; he draws in Fighting and Ground attacks like a magnet, and makes things extremely easy for stuff like Celebi to switch in his place). Given the offensive nature of this team, you can hardly afford to be predicting much, so a U-Turn user would be a fine choice...the most efficient of which is Flygon, but Jirachi and its resistances can afford to make a wrong prediction and get out alive anyway. The U-Turn thing is up to you, but you really need to cut down on the set-up Pokemon; it takes too much of your time, and each one of the ones you have miss out on a useful fourth move because of it. Trick with Choice Specs/Scarf on Alakazam is a good place to start thinking, because even while Alakazam is so absurdly powerful, he's not exactly a relentless fighter due to the ubiquity of Choice Scarves and powerful physical moves amidst the fray. Calm Minding is better fit for something with more resistances and a Defense stat that's actually tougher than Talc...like Jirachi.

Also, personally, I never found Dragon Dance on Dragonite and Salamence very ideal, due to Donphan's physical tanking ability and a rough Ice Shard, and Mamoswine's STAB, 359 Attack Ice Shard blowing them half to hell as it is. This is why I actually like a supporting set on Dragonite, because, really, his Defenses are wholly better than Machamp's, and he has an Earthquake immunity, Fighting resistance, Water resistance, Fire resistance, as well as a Bug resistance...all of which are very useful in the metagame we play in now. His support options aren't mediocre, either; I mean, between Light Screen/Reflect, Thunder Wave, and Heal Bell, he's running with great options already, and the support set works really well if you allow Dragonite to compensate for the gaps in your team. You should also know that Spikes doesn't help your team much, since these guys aren't going to be forcing too many switches because none of them can really take too many hits (barring Skarmory and Blissey, sure, but Infernape still destroys them). This team needs Stealth Rock to injure any and all of the opposition, turning a hell of a lot of 2HKOs into OHKOs. And, so far as I'm concerned, Gliscor would do an excellent job of that; the addition of whom would award you a valuable Fighting resistance and, with 280 Speed, a reliable Lucario counter.

Overall, though, I really can't say it's a good team. The sets are fine, but all this team seems to do is stir up a bar fight, with Blissey and Skarmory acting as buffers for moderate threats that are essentially covered anyway. A Metagross could take all of them, actually, barring Skarmory, so if he were backed by the aforementioned Infernape, then this just may not work out for you.

Trust me, you're definitely on the right track here, but you need to think of what your team can do for itself rather than monopolize the offense of each one just because they happen to be out. A layer(s) of Stealth Rock/Spikes sort of touches on it, but when your only defense is switching out to the right resistance - even if you hypothetically only took 3%-4% in doing so -, the other person is going to know what your whole team is, and thus you'll just force yourself into a prediction war that you'll lose about 95% of the time, with the approximated 5% remainder accounting for luck and ballsy counteraction. You need more creative defense and less of some faulty GSC logic.

Poke_Sakif
01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
And this is likely due to the fact that your team feels compelled to be setting up half the time, as half your team carries set-up moves. Between Dragonite and Tyranitar, you're going to have to leave one to Dragon Dancing (I'd say Tyranitar; he draws in Fighting and Ground attacks like a magnet, and makes things extremely easy for stuff like Celebi to switch in his place). Given the offensive nature of this team, you can hardly afford to be predicting much, so a U-Turn user would be a fine choice...the most efficient of which is Flygon, but Jirachi and its resistances can afford to make a wrong prediction and get out alive anyway. The U-Turn thing is up to you, but you really need to cut down on the set-up Pokemon; it takes too much of your time, and each one of the ones you have miss out on a useful fourth move because of it. Trick with Choice Specs/Scarf on Alakazam is a good place to start thinking, because even while Alakazam is so absurdly powerful, he's not exactly a relentless fighter due to the ubiquity of Choice Scarves and powerful physical moves amidst the fray. Calm Minding is better fit for something with more resistances and a Defense stat that's actually tougher than Talc...like Jirachi.

Also, personally, I never found Dragon Dance on Dragonite and Salamence very ideal, due to Donphan's physical tanking ability and a rough Ice Shard, and Mamoswine's STAB, 359 Attack Ice Shard blowing them half to hell as it is. This is why I actually like a supporting set on Dragonite, because, really, his Defenses are wholly better than Machamp's, and he has an Earthquake immunity, Fighting resistance, Water resistance, Fire resistance, as well as a Bug resistance...all of which are very useful in the metagame we play in now. His support options aren't mediocre, either; I mean, between Light Screen/Reflect, Thunder Wave, and Heal Bell, he's running with great options already, and the support set works really well if you allow Dragonite to compensate for the gaps in your team. You should also know that Spikes doesn't help your team much, since these guys aren't going to be forcing too many switches because none of them can really take too many hits (barring Skarmory and Blissey, sure, but Infernape still destroys them). This team needs Stealth Rock to injure any and all of the opposition, turning a hell of a lot of 2HKOs into OHKOs. My Blissey has Stealth Rock.And, so far as I'm concerned, Gliscor would do an excellent job of that; the addition of whom would award you a valuable Fighting resistance and, with 280 Speed, a reliable Lucario counter.

Overall, though, I really can't say it's a good team. The sets are fine, but all this team seems to do is stir up a bar fight, with Blissey and Skarmory acting as buffers for moderate threats that are essentially covered anyway. A Metagross could take all of them, actually, barring Skarmory, so if he were backed by the aforementioned Infernape, then this just may not work out for you.

Trust me, you're definitely on the right track here, but you need to think of what your team can do for itself rather than monopolize the offense of each one just because they happen to be out. A layer(s) of Stealth Rock/Spikes sort of touches on it, but when your only defense is switching out to the right resistance - even if you hypothetically only took 3%-4% in doing so -, the other person is going to know what your whole team is, and thus you'll just force yourself into a prediction war that you'll lose about 95% of the time, with the approximated 5% remainder accounting for luck and ballsy counteraction. You need more creative defense and less of some faulty GSC logic.

Comments in bold.
So what you mean is...

Dragonite @ Light Clay
Purpose: Support
Trait: Inner Focus
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/216 SpD/44 Spe
~ Light Screen
~ Reflect
~ Thunder Wave
~ Heal Bell

Alakazam @ Choice Specs
Purpose: Special Sweeper
Trait: Synchronize
Nature: Timid
~ Trick
~ Psychic
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast

-Holland-
01-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Oh, wow, I didn't see Stealth Rock on Blissey there. My mistake...although, that really makes quite a case for ditching Skarmory for a better wall that doesn't simper like a lost child in Infernape's wake, to be honest.

As for what you put up, that's pretty much what I'm talking about, although you really need to choose which screen you want on Dragonite and replace the other one with Dragon Claw (or Fire Punch/Flamethrower, as Steels give this team some serious problems). I wouldn't bug you about a Skarmory replacement again, but at least I strongly urge you to consider something that compensates for the fallibility of the walls on this team.

Poke_Sakif
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
How about...

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spe
~ Earthquake
~ U-turn
~ Roost
~ Aerial Ace

-Holland-
01-21-2009, 03:27 AM
How about...

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spe
~ Earthquake
~ U-turn
~ Roost
~ Aerial Ace

As a resistance, that could work very well, and can scout counters if you think you're about to be in trouble. I'm not so sure about the Yache Berry, because it only works once, and you may not always have time to Roost off damage. Yache Berry is typically more preferable on a powerful offensive version, but if you're planning on making a surprise revenge kill, then go ahead and try it and see if it works for you.