View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: The Metal Legion v2.0

Album Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion
Band Eluveitie
Year 2009
Genre Folk/Celtic Metal

Tracklist

1) Sacrapos - At First Glance
2) Brictom
3) A Girls Oath
4) The Arcane Dominion
5) Within the Grove
6) The Cauldron of Renascence
7) Nata
8) Omnos
9) Carnutian Forest
10) Dessumiis Luge
11) Gobanno
12) Voveso
13) Memento
14) Ne Ragv Na
15) Sacrapos - The Disparaging Last Gaze

-

Oh my gosh, a new Eluveitie album. Images and sounds of 2008's Slania rush into your head and you think, wow. I can't wait to see what these guys are going to blow my mind with next.

Sadly, 2008's Slania, which is probably a 10-scoring album, has been thrown aside in place of an entirely acoustic, Gaulish-sung, Anna-on-vocals-apart-from-like-one-song folk album that doesn't give any feel of metal at all. I had longed for more songs with Anna on vocals, but I didn't expect this.

A mixture of folk instruments including the bagpipes and a hurdy-gurdy are amongst the beautifully-played on this album, yet the savagly metal electric guitars we heard in Slania are history. In songs such as Omnos you barely notice the lack of it, and as it was released as a single, why would you? However as you listen to Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion, it becomes apparent that pure, raw folk instruments are the only things that have been used. Maybe the guitarist died or something.

The introduction to Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion- Sacrapos - At First Glance- is a spoken intro that tells how a girl steals a man's sanity with a single glance. Perhaps Dani Filth has taken place of the guitarist, because it gives off a very over-the-top gothic feel. The rest of the album is sung entirely in Gaulish, and although it's a beautiful language and they have amazing voices, we need English lyrics too. Songs on Slania such as Inis Mona were growled in English whilst accompanyed by short instrumentals such as Giamonios and Gaulish-sung Slania's Song, and gave all members of the band a chance to show off their talents.

It gives the impression that this new album is some sort of personal effort. Songs such as Memento give the pure Eluveitie feel, but without the guitar. I'm aware I'm repeating this but I need to get it across. Where the hell did the guitar go. It's all very folkish and beautiful, and reminds you of skipping Satyrs and bloody battles and purple lakes and long grass and mountains and what-not, yet if there was another fifteen tracks of songs with the proper instruments, I'd give this album a ten.

Overall, it's an immensely poweful folk effort, and they have played their instruments beautifully as always- there is no denying Eluveitie are very talented. But after the epic achievement of Slania, Evocation I: The Arcane Dominion has risen valiantly, then fallen into the ashes with broken wings.

-

Quality 7.8
A good mixture of acoustic instruments, however the lack of anything vaguely electric means the whole folk thing is very overpowering.

Musicianship 9.7
If something can be said about Eluveitie it's that they are incredibly talented with their instruments. Everything is played beautifully, cleanly, and the fact that it's a whole album with Anna on vocals can't be seen as an entirely bad thing.

Writing 7.2
The introduction to his album gives off a very Cradle-of-Filth'y feel, yet songs such as Omnos are incredibly... shall I say, unusual. Other songs are the typical lyrics about long ago battles and Celtic homelands, with the slightly depressing feel to them- which is what Eluveitie should be. However, it lacks any English vocals whatsoever.

Ingenuity 9.9
Beautiful, as always. Eluveitie give off a mystical feel, and their music is incredibly unique and well played. They lead the way for folk metal of today- but let's hope bands don't follow them too closely. A whole acoustic album is a no-no.

Overall 7.0
Eluveitie are unique and lead the way for the wave of new folk metal, sure. But this album has been an immense disappointment both to myself and other fans. Hopefully the next album- probably named Evocation II: The Arcane Dominion- will have at least one electric instrument.