View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default The Independent: Top 20 Video Game Franchises (same list from Wikipedia)

The Independent: Top 20 Video Game Franchises (same list from Wikipedia)!
-01/11/07-

The Independent published a story, which included a list of the "The bestselling games franchises." Here's the list:

- The Bestselling Game Franchises -
1. Mario: 193 million
2. Pokemon: 155 million
3. Final Fantasy: 68 million
4. Madden NFL: 56 million
5. The Sims: 54 million
6. Grand Theft Auto: 50 million
7. Donkey Kong: 48 million
8. The Legend of Zelda: 47 million
9. Sonic the Hedgehog: 44 million
10. Gran Turismo: 44 million
11. Lineage: 43 million
12. Dragon Quest: 41 million
13. Crash Bandicoot: 34 million
14. Resident Evil: 31 million
15. James Bond: 30 million
16. Tomb Raider: 30 million
17. Mega Man: 26 million
18. Command & Conquer: 25 million
19. Street Fighter: 25 million
20. Mortal Kombat: 20 million

Mario and Pokemon are the only franchises to break the 100 million mark. No surprise here, despite Mario's head start, Pokemon is catching up quickly.

The Independent
Naturally, a lot of media has picked up the story and credited back to The Independent. You can view the list here: The Independent: The bestselling games franchises. However, this same exact list was available elsewhere a week earlier, on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia
When I looked at the numbers, they looked very familiar from what I saw last month on Wikipedia, in particular the numbers for Mario and Pokemon that I remembered somewhat (I was researching statistics of best selling games). So I went back to the Wikipedia article that lists the top video game franchises, and found that the numbers from The Independent are identical to the numbers listed in the Wikipedia article. Most of the updated numbers on Wikipedia were available since November 2006 and December 2006 (so not exactly new news, per se). History logs show that Wikipedia had the same exact numbers a week earlier since January 2, 2007 (when new sale numbers of Madden NFL 07 were added). Most of the numbers data, as credited in the Wikipedia article, are from press releases, but some are tucked away in articles concerning a single game. You can view the Wikipedia list here: Wikipedia: Best-selling video game franchises

Wikipedia User Discussion
Some users on Wikipedia have also took notice. Here's the article's discussion page concerning The Independent article:

- Who is the first to notice something strange about this top 20 published, apparently, by The Independant? ;-) -- ReyBrujo 12:30, 10 January 2007 (UTC)

- Oh, Gamasutra also picked the information up :-) -- ReyBrujo 17:57, 10 January 2007 (UTC)

- Ha, basically they plagiarized the list from our article and didn't bother crediting us. Dionyseus 18:04, 10 January 2007 (UTC)

- Now Joystiq has posted "London's Independent's list". I posted a comment, I hope Joystiq notices that the list was taken from Wikipedia. Dionyseus 22:59, 10 January 2007 (UTC)

- Thanks to http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164012.html we got the link for The Independent article: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2141636.ece. I am adding a {{onlinesource}} even if they did not credit Wikipedia :-) -- ReyBrujo 02:20, 11 January 2007 (UTC)

-----

*For news complete with pictures, go to the website: http://www.pokemonelite2000.com