Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default A formulation of a new language?

I have been working with a number of artists on creating a story and expanding on the Starcraft Universe. A way, or sort of medium for fans and Blizzard (the creator of Starcraft) to connect more than they already do. Our aim is to publicize stories that fit within the Starcraft Universe, and do so in a manner that will increase interaction within the story.

One major problem I am faced with while we compile our own Starcraft bible (a series of documents ranging from 20-400 pages that note and record every fact and detail of the known Starcraft Universe) is discovering and adding words for an alien language called Khalani.

The fictional language is heavily influenced by current languages, though I would like your input on the etymology and influences of the language. Perhaps what current language primarily influences it. Here are all the translated words we have come across.

Quote:
Translated Phrases
Adun Toridas! (literally "Adun hide you", often interpreted as "May Adun give you sanctuary)
Alysaar ("Keepers of Wisdom")
Alys'aril ("Sanctuary of Wisdom")
Anht zagatir nas ("The gods watch over you")
Dae'Uhl ("great stewardship")
En Taro ("in honor of")
Ihan-rii (A name for the xel'naga during the Aeon of Strife)
Khala ("Path of Ascension")
Khas ("He Who Brings Order")
Khaydarin ("Focuser of the heart")
Khor-shakal ("Great forum")
Kwah-kai ("Little hands")
Ni Monn Adun ("Heart of Adun")
Shel'na Kryhas ("Those Who Endure")
Tal'darim ("The Forged")
Terrazine (not a Khalani word per se, but literally translates into "breath of creation" via translation)
Und lara khar ("Be at peace")
Zerashk Gulida ("Oblivion awaits")
So, I would like to ask you to help me come up with some more words for the language, and their meanings.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Default Re: A formulation of a new language?

I'm not a Stargate fan (hell, I don't even know what Stargate is), but based on this Vocabulary I could probably come up with quite a few more words:

Khalys :: Literally, Bringer of Wisdom; really, teacher ("Kha" has been used to mean Path, Bringer or Focuser, all of which have some relation to bringing something from one place to another, "Alys" has been used to mean wisdom)

Kharil :: He who gives Sanctuary (We have accepted "Kha" as Bringer, and "Alys" as wisdom; if Alys'aril means "Sanctuary of wisdom" "'aril" would mean Sanctuary. The word would be "Kha'aril", but to ease pronounciation (I think; I don't know how the apostrophe is pronounced), it has been simplified to "Kharil".)

Can't think of anything else right now.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
mintjelly Offline
Father Cat

Send a message via AIM to mintjelly Send a message via Skype™ to mintjelly

You could always throw in some Esperanto words here and there.
Not too many people know Esperanto, so incorporating a real language into it would be pretty cool.

Saluton, mia nomo estas mintjelly, kaj tiu estas ekzemplo de frazo en esperanto.

Shun the non-believer
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by narphoenix View Post
I'm not a Stargate fan (hell, I don't even know what Stargate is), but based on this Vocabulary I could probably come up with quite a few more words:
Sounds great! Thanks for your help! :D

Spoiler:
It is Starcraft, not Stargate, silly goose. xD

Though I suppose all the "Star" prefixes are kind of confusing. xD

Quote:
Khalys :: Literally, Bringer of Wisdom; really, teacher ("Kha" has been used to mean Path, Bringer or Focuser, all of which have some relation to bringing something from one place to another, "Alys" has been used to mean wisdom)
The goal of the Protoss religion called "Khala" is to ascend the path of the "light", so perhaps it is a priest or religious official or priest? Interestingly enough, the Protoss religion worships sentient beings.

Quote:
Kharil :: He who gives Sanctuary (We have accepted "Kha" as Bringer, and "Alys" as wisdom; if Alys'aril means "Sanctuary of wisdom" "'aril" would mean Sanctuary. The word would be "Kha'aril", but to ease pronounciation (I think; I don't know how the apostrophe is pronounced), it has been simplified to "Kharil".)
If you check out the voicing thread, I posted a few quotes from the game, and how they pronounced some of the words.

Quote:
Can't think of anything else right now.
It is all good, no rush.

Here is a quick 5 minute summary of the Starcraft canon story so far. It might explain a few things.

Starcraft II: The Story so Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintjelly View Post
You could always throw in some Esperanto words here and there.
Not too many people know Esperanto, so incorporating a real language into it would be pretty cool.

Saluton, mia nomo estas mintjelly, kaj tiu estas ekzemplo de frazo en esperanto.
Perhaps. Maybe if I edit the words a little.