Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » Art Gallery

Art Gallery A picture is worth one thousand words. Grab your brush and catch some Pokemon!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM
gun6 Offline

Send a message via AIM to gun6
Default Breaking New Ground

Why is this section so inactive compared to Bulbagarden's anyways?

Pokemon: Sewaddle
Difficulty: Easiest 25+
A/N: He can't climb up to reach the berry because he's afraid of heights. Daww, how adorable give it to me now.

If you want proof, I have some WIP stuff.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 AM
TheProtobabe Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheProtobabe Send a message via Skype™ to TheProtobabe
Default Re: Breaking New Ground

I love the colors in this! You've made a clear, concise and crisp picture without using actual outlines, and instead using the backdrop of other colors to give us a clear view of that Sewaddle. He looks as he should--like a caterpillar in a leaf burrito--and the details are mostly right. The background is also clear and colorful, and you even took the time to add those little flowers in the background. You used the tree in the front to add a bit of depth to the picture, too. I like that. However, I noticed that you didn't use shading or texture in this. There's no clear light source and Sewaddle looks like he's made of the same stuff as his surroundings, which makes less interesting. Sewaddle himself is missing his leaf lines and some of his belly lines, making him slightly imperfect (though I am being picky; I realize that your style doesn't allow for fine lines). The background is also a bunch of parallel wavy lines that don't really give much for depth or interest; it's sort of the same boring horizon over and over.

Overall, this is adorable, colorful, and fun, and definitely worth a lot more than the easy grade you were going for. I think you should give your stuff some shading and depth, as well as putting some texture into the grass and on Sewaddle himself. The background layers need to be 'staggered' somewhat to make it look less like one of those Play-Doh cookie cutter wheels and more likes hills and bushes, etc.

Score: 45/100. You really did a lot more than you had to with this, which is wonderful. This also means that Sewaddle is caught! Congrats. :3

@gun6;

Last edited by TheProtobabe; 01-26-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Tagging.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Skitty
Difficulty: Simple 40+
A/N: Skitty broke the physics.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Oddish
A/N: I'm just experimenting with tools in Paint.NET so I can learn. :x

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Gothita
Difficulty: Medium 50+ 50+
A/N: More experimentation with tools. I never realized how nice this program is when you get to know it.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM
TheProtobabe Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheProtobabe Send a message via Skype™ to TheProtobabe

Curating Skitty

Spoiler:
Skitty looks good, you got all its details right. The tail has the prongs, the ears have fringe, and its... 'mask' thing is right. Good on you.

The colors in this are super cool! I love the texture effects you added to everything. It feels like a fun kid's show or something and i love looking at this. I notice the cast shadow on the ground that follows Skitty's shape, as well as the little ball of yarn it's playing with. The stripes of color also contrast nicely enough to sharpen Skitty's colors and make it more interesting. I noticed the colors in the window pane as well; this is adorable and very much whimsical. I would pick on the fact that Skitty itself doesn't have any shading, but with this style it doesn't really look like you need it.

There aren't lines in this, but nevertheless, you manage to create a crisp, visible outline for each individual object in this image. The outline of Skitty is very clear, as is the outline of the window, wall, the panel by the floor, the floor stripes etc. The only thing I can say is that the plaid on Skitty kind of detracts from the clarity of the image, but not too badly. It's a minor nitpick on this piece.

The fact that the room is crooked is a bit... strange for your image, but oddly, it sort of matches what you're trying to do here. This feels very "Alice in Wonderland"--whimsical, odd, weird, and adorably colorful and dynamic. I like that you made Skitty do something in a house as if it were a pet playing happily with its toy. The expression on the Pokemon is also cute and shows that you played around with your sketch, too. The floor is a bit weird, though, and makes me tilt my head sideways a lot because it's disconcerting and distracting.

Overall, this screams "WHIMSICAL", which I've said a few times now, I think. The floor and angle is a bit odd but I really like this piece. You created clean outlines, great color contrast, and a dynamic picture. In the future, I'd say that you need to study your angles a bit better just so it matches up with the Pokemon's placement and ease up on the plaid.

This is really great, so I'm giving you a 50/100, which is more than enough for a simple 'Mon. Skitty has been caught.

Curating Oddish

Spoiler:
You got Oddish's details all right here, even down to the number of leaves and the bent middle leaf. Yay.

The colors here are great. I see use of gradients and a soft, faded background that adds depth and dimension to the picture. Again, the cast shadow matches the Pokemon's shape and I even see that you used gradients on the shadow, too. The colors are accurate and vibrant, and I see some patterns being used on the hills closest to us to resemble little flowers in the grass. The highlights and cast shadow are consistent, indicating that the light source is somewhere in front of Oddish. I do think you should have shaded the hills a bit, however, and the ground looks a bit dull and flat. I imagine it's made of dirt, so a bit of a grainy pattern and shading that indicates rocks and an uneven surface would have been good here.

The lines on Oddish are good, if a bit sketchy, but it's hardly noticeable. The lineart itself is original, I notice you didn't use an already-existing picture of him and instead went with him standing and being all happy and adorable. I like the little lines you added under his eyes like in the anime and manga. The lines for your hills are clear and sharp, as well, even though you didn't use an actual outline to mark them. I do think you should have kept the lines consistent, however, and used either no outline on Oddish or added outlines to the hills and dirt path in order to maintain a sense of continuity in this image.

There's not too much story to this, but for a simple 'Mon it hardly needs one. Oddish is out walking on a dirt path, perhaps going for his morning jog or something. There's not a lot of action or anything here; Oddish is simply posing and being his planty self. I'd say the most dynamic thing is your use of color, which is excellent.

Overall, this is a happy, sunny piece and cute in its simplicity. For something like this, you should definitely keep the lines and shading more consistent as well as add some story to the piece, even if it's super simple.

For this, I give you a 45/100, just because of the great coloring and sketch itself. This means that Oddish is caught!

Curating Gothita

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The anatomy for Gothita looks good. You got her eyes, hair, bows, stripes... we'll move on since you've gotten everything correct.

Right off, I notice that your color usage in this is... amazing. I absolutely love what you've done with the moonlight's glow and the Psychic energy surrounding Gothita itself. I notice that you used the yellow of the moonlight and the faint yellow-gray glow to emphasize the purples in Gothita's coloring and in its glow surrounding it. I also see a bit of the moon's glow hitting Gothita's face and body in highlights, and the opposite side is shaded quite well and is consistent with the lighting. I can also see tiny rays of light emanating from the moon and fading into the night sky. Gothita's eyes... it's eerie and goes with the creepy fact that this Pokemon stares and sees things others don't. You really captured Gothita's 'personality' with this image.

The lines are good and depict the slightly creepy Pokemon well, with its head tilted and staring at the viewer like it sees something we can't... I must say, though, I think this would do much better if you got rid of the cartoony lines and tried to make Gothita look more... 'realistic'. It would suit the mood of the piece better and be a much more effective creepy look. But that's my opinion, and for the purpose of this curation, the lines look great--if a bit sketchy. Your black outlines are just a tad off-putting because they aren't smooth and neat.

The 'story' in this is simple, but great. Gothita is staring at the viewer like a creeper and it makes them think exactly what it is they're looking at. The lighting is really what brings this piece to life, however.

Overall, I absolutely love this piece. For something similar, I'd suggest taking out the black outlines and going all-out with shading for outlines, since it seems you're probably fully capable of doing so. This is quite a great bit of artwork and I can't wait for you to do more!

I give you a 55/100 for brilliant shading and use of color, as well as a cool creepy effect. Expect me to request art from you at one point just because I like looking at it!

Spoiler:

Gothita's anatomy is correct, so we'll move on from there.

The colors in this are again whimsical and make the viewer think of cute and adorable things. It feels very... 'candy-like', so to speak. I love the gradients and patterns you've used as well as the color contrasts and shading, including the glow around the star that Gothita is holding. I do notice that you didn't add much highlight on Gothita for the glowing star--you probably should have had some light blue reflecting on its face, hand, front bow, and eyes for the glow to be a bit more believable. However, your coloring overall is great.

Again, your strong point seems to be with creating clear outlines without actually drawing them. The colors contrast enough to give an implied line and make your image look crisp and clean. Gothita's pose is also cute--reaching for a star and giving a wide-eyed stare. I think you should have made the 'rainbow' in the back a few different shades of blue, however, because your blue star sort of disappears into it. The orange stars are perfect against that background though, being warm colors contrasting against cool ones.

I have no idea what the 'story' behind this is or what Gothita's doing, but it sure is cute! She's standing on Earth (?) and reaching for stars in space. This could be considered abstract, but I think you were more going for adorable and colorful whimsy. The glowing star makes Gothita the center of attention as well, making for a great focus.

Overall, this is good and reminds me of Tokidoki or something along those lines. In the future I suggest contrasting some of the colors a bit better and adding reflections for things that are lit or glowing.

I give this one a 50/100 for great colors and adorableness. This means that Gothita is caught.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Tentacool
A/N: That poor Luvdisc.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Poliwag
A/N: Kind of actiony.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Cherubi
A/N: Kind of sleepy.

BONUS ROUND

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Venipede
A/N: POMF =3

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Oddish
A/N: I need another one. (1+ hour)

Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Joltik
Difficulty: Medium 50+ 50+
A/N: (2 hr) (1hr) Decided to go for another pretty picture and then relax with a more fun, stylized one.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM
TheProtobabe Offline

Curating Tentacool

Spoiler:
Overall
Overall, this is a dark, moody piece and I absolutely love it. The setting and shading is perfect in this picture.

Dynamics
You went lineless with this, which, like I've mentioned before, is a difficult task to accomplish when trying to make your focal points visible. You've managed to do this with subtle shading and color differences, anyway, which I love. I notice the background's gradual change from dark to light, giving the illusion that Tentacool is dragging the Luvdisc into deeper waters to kill and eat it (ooh, creepy). I also like that you have a silhouetted Tentacruel in the background, watching over with unknown intent. Is it going to steal the Tentacool's food? Is it a parent watching its offspring makes its first successful kill? Is it initiation into the Tentacruel gang? Who knows!? It's wonderful how you keep me so curious. I love the somewhat sad and scary story behind this. It also adds depth and dimension to the picture--'Cool seems closer to us while 'Cruel looms in the background. It's not often we see Pokemon do 'bad' things in the wild to survive, and here is a glimpse of what wild Pokemon have to do to eat and get by. One thing I noticed is that Tentacool's tentacle is above Luvdisc's eye, making the little fish look like it's making a sad expression. I'm not sure if you did that on purpose but it looks cool and makes for a nice touch. I also like the slight glow you put on the red gem thingies that adorn Tentacool/cruel's heads. I think the only thing I can pick on is the fact that there's no real texture or substance to the water. Perhaps some floating plankton particles? Seaweed? Background Pokemon? A few more details and texture and you'd have an even more brilliant piece.

Colors/Shading
The colors are great in this, and I love the shading job. I see a few different levels of shading, all sharply contrasted against the light source. Great job there; the lighting here really sets the mood extremely well. The only thing I can say is that the right side is super dark and almost obscures Tentacool, but it looks like it's done on purpose so I can't pick too hard.

Pokemon Accuracy
Yup, Tentacool looks good, as well as Luvdisc and 'Cruel's silhouette. I can even see the probiscus beak thingy on Tentacruel.

Advice
1. Uh... I'd say maybe, um. More texture to the water? And add some more Pokemon in the background. Perhaps Luvdisc came from a school of fish from somewhere back behind! That's really all I can pick on.

SCORE
This deserves way beyond what it needs. I give this a solid 60/100 for mood, shading, colors, accuracy, and backstory. This is excellent work, my friend. Tentacool is caught.

Curating Poliwag

Spoiler:
Overall
Very nice break from what you've done before with the cutesy, as well as the previous picture. I like to see artists expanding their horizons and trying something new.

Dynamics
You have a Poliwag attacking something just to the left of the viewer, making for a very dynamic and actiony piece that comes 'right at your face'. The bubbles are getting progressively larger as they come forward and right off the page. I also noticed that you shaded each one and varied the transparency as they overlapped, much like Venn diagrams. I like that attention to detail! I like Poliwag's expression, as well. A few things that I think you could work on in this image; Poliwag's eyes are a bit off. If you look, the space under the iris on the left isn't the same amount as on the right, making him look a bit derp but not by too much. His feet also look a bit awkward for some reason. I think maybe it's because Poliwag doesn't have that bit of leg before his foot-it's literally just an oval stuck to his little tadpole body. He sort of looks like he's standing on something rather than swimming, as well. Again, here you could have added a bit of texture to the ocean water to make it more realistic. And perhaps add some background elements that put Poliwag somewhere other than floating in an unknown space. Other than that, though, you have very clear lines again and it's a strong image.

Colors/Shading
The colors are nice and crisp, though I do wish you'd had some opposing color wheel choices for a more actiony picture. That makes for a bit of energy and 'pop. The shading is perfectly done again, though; you seem to have a knack for that.

Pokemon Accuracy
Poliwag is totally accurate. Except maybe the foot-leg-stalks, but I'm not gonna pick on that.

Advice
1. More background and more depth/dimension. Make the perspective really count with some background elements to make it look like Poliwag is closer than he appears.
2. Texture. Give the water some texture; add those wave light thingies, put some particles in, make a few lines to show water current and direction, add bubbles around the body parts of Poliwag that are moving around.
3. Make sure to make the eyes even and to check the pose before coloring for less awkwardness.

SCORE
I give this one a 50/100, since it lacked a lot of background elements and had a few minor hiccups here and there. This means that Poliwag is caught!

Curating Cherubi

Spoiler:
Overall
Awwww.

Dynamics
The lines on this are great! I also like that Cherubi is in tall grass like in the anime. The sleepy pose is also pretty sweet and adorable. I also notice that you approached the shading a bit differently than from before here. The background is lacking a bit, though--it's sort of simple and a bit boring compared to some other stuff I've seen you do. Adding more layers of grass, some foreground grass stalks in front of Cherubi, and putting some other green shades in the grasses would probably make this piece a bit better. I do like the clean, crisp lines and colors here, though.

Colors/Shading
The colors are vibrant, though again I wish you had a bit more contrast and differences in color since it seems a bit monochromatic besides Cherubi itself. The shading is kinda neat; it's like it's being lit from directly up above by the sun. You followed the roundness of Cherubi nicely and gave the illusion of three dimensions. The background needed the same treatment, though, as it seems you didn't really touch on that much besides the gradience from top to bottom with that grass.

Pokemon Accuracy
Cherubi is accurate, even down to the leaf shape! Great job eyeing up the detail there.

Advice
1. Add some new colors and shading to your backgrounds so they don't seem quite so monochromatic.
2. Give the picture depth and dimension by adding foreground objects as well as background objects, and variate the 'natural' bits of drawings (i.e., grass and trees) by making them go every which way, variating colors, and making everything different heights and angles.

SCORE
I give this one a 50/100 for neatness and shading, though the elements above detracted from the score. This means that Cherubi is caught.

Curating Venipede

Spoiler:
Overall
I am seeing some serious improvement in digital art here and I absolutely love it. And can I just say, you have a great talent with drawing cute things? I want to hug this Venipede so badly!

Dynamics
As you mentioned before, finding an image of the underside of Venipede is very difficult, though you managed to put the pieces together enough to illustrate a wiggling, belly-up baby bug just fine. I love the thin lineart here, as well; it's very appealing to the eyes and makes your details look fine and delicate. I can tell how much time you've spent on this because of the level of detail put into the bug. I love its pose; it looks like an infant holding its arms out for someone to come and pick it up! This is seriously probably one of my favorite images of yours on here so far. The only thing I could pick on is that you don't really have much of a background, but the fact that it's on a pillow or a sheet makes this okay. I like the lines you put as a 'dent' for its light weight pushing down on the fabric.

Colors/Shading
The colors are vibrant and pretty, but the shading... oh man, the shading in this is amazing. Layers upon layers of shading and highlights make this Venipede look so 3-D it's unreal. I can really tell that it has a hard outer shell and a softer belly because of the hard light you put on its shinier face. The dents in the fabric under it are accentuated by a light layer of shading as well, which just completes the look of an infant wiggling around on its bed.

Pokemon Accuracy
This is completely accurate, in spite of the difficulty you had in finding an underside-image for our poor little bug here. Great job!

Advice
1. Try adding a bit more of a dynamic background for these things. Try challenging yourself just a teensy bit at a time to add an element or two to the background and you'll get better and better. I believe in you! Look how good you got with digital art so fast!

SCORE
I give this a 65/100 for the sheer amount of work you put into shading this thing and making the lines so neat and thin. This is reminiscent of the actual cartoon and Sugimori's work; perhaps even more detailed. Venipede is caught.

Curating Oddish

Spoiler:
Overall
Oddish in the snow? Wat? But it loves it, aww lookit it's little adorable face.

Dynamics
There are several things I notice about this piece, especially when compared to your old Oddish. The lines are neater, the shading is better, and the background has a better angle to it, and matches up with your focus better. I also notice that you faded some of the lineart to make the snow appear more heavily before it. The fact that it's jumping around in the snow is great, too, and makes this piece more interesting than Oddish walking down a pathway. He's hopping around and quite obviously enjoying himself! The cuteness of this is just, oh my god I want to hug it. I guess I could sort of pick on the fact that your snowy hills don't have lineart marking them out, but I think it works this way, too. You could probably give the background a bit more depth, though, perhaps with a hill that's farther away, some different colored snow with darker shading, etc.

Colors/Shading
The shading in this is great! I see consistent lighting, some different layers of shading, and blending, as well as highlights on Oddish's eyeballs and tongue. The shadow in the snow fits because snow isn't really that solid, so the shadow would fall and be a bit blobby as well.

Pokemon Accuracy
Oddish is accurate, though I'm not sure if I should mention that you're missing those little lines under his eyes that seem to be in the anime and show. I have no idea if they're consistently there all the time, though, and it seems minor enough to ignore.

Advice
1. More depth to the background, and perhaps give it some lines to match the focus Pokemon, as well.

SCORE
50/100, which means that Oddish is caught.

Last edited by TheProtobabe; 04-02-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Hoothoot
A/N: I drew this on request of a friend, but I might as well double up on my rewards. (2 hours)

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
gun6 Offline

Pokemon: Lotad
A/N: (1 1/2 hours)