Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:27 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost
Default The PE2K Beta Company

Welcome, reader/writer of pokemon fanfiction, to the PE2K Beta Company.

Section I: Introduction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

A beta reader (or betareader) is a person who reads a work of fiction with critical eye with the aim to improve grammar, spelling, characterization, and general style of the story prior to release to the general public.

Section II: Notes

Admittedly, I’ve taken this from another board (two actually – Pokemon Fan Universe and BulbaGarden). But PE2K will benefit from this thing for sure.

There are some authors out there, especially newer ones, that aren’t very experienced and don’t realize they may be making simple, fixable mistakes. It is a beta reader’s job to do that for the author. They try to point out as many mistakes and flaws as possible and give the writer possibilities for fixing it.

Section III: To Apply

To be a beta reader:

Read the rules carefully and then fill out the form. E-mail or pm me the form and if I approve of it, I will pm or email you back to tell you to post it here. It will serve as your profile. Edit it when those facts change.

To get a beta reader:

Read the below rules carefully and then post your request here. If you want a specific person to beta your fic, email or pm them, do not post it here.

Beta Rules:
1. English means both American and Britain variants.

2. A beta reader MUST understand characterization (including Mary Sue make up), as well as parts of plots, action, description, and other story elements.

3. Unless pointing out grammar or spelling errors, DO NOT FORCE a write to change his or her story. You can make suggestions. You can use their story as an example for do’s and don’ts. You can repeat advice to emphasize importance. However, you cannot say anything along the lines of the following: You’re story is totally wrong. Instead of (insert plot point here), write (insert plot point here). Don’t do this.

Exception: Feel free to force an author to use spellcheck – be it Words, Works, or the E-mail one, as well as read up on all rules of grammar.

4. E-mail or pm your application to me. Do not post until I have responded stating that you are excepted.

5. Feel free to be blunt.

6. If you have read and agree with these rules, write this as the title: xXBetaFrostXx when you send your application via e-mail or pm.

Writer Rules:
1. Please apply to only one or two beta readers at a time. One will be the limit, unless the company is not busy and the second beta reader agrees to be a second one.

2. Do not harass beta readers. We understand you want your story up quickly, but quality matters. The beta readers are taking the time they see fit to make your job as the writer as easy as possible. Also recall that we beta readers have lives.

3. If you are unsatisfied with your beta reader(s), e-mail or pm me, Sceptile Frost. Please include the message or interchange that you received that made you feel thus. If your claims are found truthful, you shall get another beta reader as soon as possible and you will be refunded.

4. Do not abuse #3. I will investigate claims such as these thoroughly. If it is just because he or she told you to improve it and that it wasn’t very good, pointing out what needed to be fixed, he or she has done what he or she is required of. Should this occur you shall be terminated from beta readers and shall not be able to enter your writing to be beta’d until you have served your probation period, a length I shall decide.

Section V: Application

To be a beta reader:

(All fields with a * denote that they are totally and completely optional)

Name (username or other):
Preferred Fandoms (this shouldn’t be a problem but just in case non pokemon fanficcers want to be beta’d):
Contact Details: (E-mail address(es), IM handles, etc.)
PM?: (note if you shall receive applicants via pm)
Writing History: (A brief history of your writing. Providing a link of a good fic will help considerably)
*Member of GPS: (Doesn’t matter, but you may receive a promotion in the group…)
*Preferences: (Anything you shall make sure to beta)
*Hates: (Anything you don’t wish to beta – ratings included)
(If you don’t fill in above two fields, you shall receive anything)
Writing Sample:

To get a beta reader:

(All fields with a * denote that they are totally and completely optional)

Name (username or other):
Contact Details: (E-mail address(es), IM handles, etc.)
PM?: (Note it you shall receive sent applications via pm)
Fandom:
Warnings: (Rating wise, shipping wise, etc.)

(My entry will follow this post)

LIST OF BETA READERS

Sceptile Frost (Director Extraordinaire!)
Deathspector
Kayden Javalaiakin
Neo Pikachu
Tyranitar_Trainer
KatieKitten
hahahabvc87

Last edited by Sceptile Frost; 11-19-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Default Re: The PE2K Beta Company

Name (username or other): Sceptile Frost
Preferred Fandoms: Pokemon
Contact Details:
E-mail: scepfrost@allcom.net
Secondary Email: ruby_the_fic_writer@yahoo.com
AIM: scepfrost201

PM?: Yes
Writing History: I began writing in third grade with a horribly done sports story. I wrote my first pokemon fic, Now and Forever, when I was eleven and posted it December of 2005 here when I first joined to discover it was crap. However, after a complete rewrite, it has really come alive.
*Member of GPS: Yes, proud founder
*Preferences: Advance/Contestshipping, Journey Fics are my specialty
*Hates: Probably Horror. Also, don't really trust me with anime characters, as I don't have Cartoon Network and virtually didn't watch much of the anime before that.
Writing Sample: Now and Forever, Volume One: The Adventure Read it and weep.

I shall do my best to help you make your fic the best as possible. However, I am quite busy. I have many fics that I'm working on and want to post and I also will have to manage this thing as well as my club, the Golden Pen Society.

Since it is summer right now, I'll be able to do it pretty quickly. But once school is up and running, it'll probably take a while longer.

Thank you, Sceptile Frost

Last edited by Sceptile Frost; 08-25-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Frost Accepted me, so I'm posting my form up for all to see.

Name: Deathspector/DS

Age: Teens ( This could be anything between thirtten and ninteen, you know...)

Prefered Fandoms: Pokémon, Harry Potter, One Piece and Duel Masters.

Contact Details: monkeydude_141@yahoo.com monkeyddue_141@hotmail.com (both are e-mail as well as messenger)

PM: Sure, I don't mind getting anything via PM. I've only got eighty-nine messages this entire year... ):

Writing History: I've always been interested in writing, right from the begining, and even in Grade One, I used to enjoy our Writing classes more than anything. When I joined I posted a story that when I look back now, am completely embarassed to admit that I wrote that. But I became better through practice and experience. My current fanfiction that I like is Betrayal. (link in my sig...)

Member of GPS: Yep, just joined.

Preferences: Journey Fics, Action/Adventure, Horror, Detective stories (meh...I don't know what else to call those Mystery story things)

Hates: ROMANCE (this includes any shipping stories...I'm bad with romance in real life as it is...).

Writing Sample: Again, in my siggy...

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^

Last edited by Deathspector; 08-13-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Kayden Javlaíakín Offline

Fweee, I'm accepted. :P Anyway...

Name: Kayden
Preferred Fandoms: Pokemon
Contact Details:
E-Mail: XTwilightShadowX@gmail.com
MSN: Shinybutterfree@hotmail.com
Yahoo: Kaydenmewtwo
AOL: scytherlady
PM?: I prefer to recieve applicants by this method.
Writing History: Everything you need, including my history, is in my Fanfictional Archive(link in siggy).
Member of Golden Pen Society: Yes, but I'm not that active.
Preferences: Anything that isn't a Trainer Fic... -.-
Hates: Trainer Fics.... T.T
Writing Sample: Once again: Fanfictional Archive link in t3h siggy

yeah yeah yeah

Last edited by Kayden Javlaíakín; 02-19-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:01 AM
Th3DazeGrace Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Th3DazeGrace

I seriously doubt i filled this out right

Name: James [Th3DazeGrace]
Contact Details:
Yahoo: th3dazegrace@yahoo.com
IM: JIShafer

PM?:sorry i have NO clue what you mean by this
Fandom: Pokemon, Sci-fi, Fantasy
Warnings: None that I know of, im on pe2k every day and check my e-mail every day also

Thanks to Alice_the_dratini for the card
Old 08-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DazeGrace View Post
I seriously doubt i filled this out right

Name: James [Th3DazeGrace]
Contact Details:
Yahoo: th3dazegrace@yahoo.com
IM: JIShafer

PM?:sorry i have NO clue what you mean by this
Fandom: Pokemon, Sci-fi, Fantasy
Warnings: None that I know of, im on pe2k every day and check my e-mail every day also
Hey, Th3DazeGrace, I'll be glad to beta it for you. However, how often do you want me to beta chapters? I'll probably be able to do one every week, maybe two until school starts (only two weeks!). Yeah, I'll take this one guys. And by PM I mean private messaging (a handy dandy little forum messaging system). I bet you have Yahoo IM? I have AOL IM, so I'm pretty sure that's a no go. So, e-mail or private message your first chapter to me and I'll do it, tomorrow and the day after. Um, expect it three to six days after you send it.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Th3DazeGrace Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Th3DazeGrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
Hey, Th3DazeGrace, I'll be glad to beta it for you. However, how often do you want me to beta chapters? I'll probably be able to do one every week, maybe two until school starts (only two weeks!). Yeah, I'll take this one guys. And by PM I mean private messaging (a handy dandy little forum messaging system). I bet you have Yahoo IM? I have AOL IM, so I'm pretty sure that's a no go. So, e-mail or private message your first chapter to me and I'll do it, tomorrow and the day after. Um, expect it three to six days after you send it.
Eh, I dont have the Yahoo Im, Im wierd I know. You can do them at any pace you wish. I'll try to keep up. I assume I'll have to PM them to you. Thanx again

Thanks to Alice_the_dratini for the card
Old 08-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Chaos Power Dragon Offline
New Trainer

Eh...I suppose I'll try this.

Name: Chaos Power Dragon
Contact Details: roennesc@cox.net (I'd prefer it if you use PMs. I check them more often than my e-mail. Which is like once a week.)
PM?: Erm...Yes?
Fandom: Pokemon, occasional Yu-gi-oh!/GX, Fantasy
Warnings: 1: I'm not on that often. 2: Sometimes it takes a while for me to get Chapter 2 out. Some fics I made have sat for months in my computer still on prolouges. But then, those sucked more than some two-year-olds' scribblings. 3: I suck. There is no doubt about it. So, if you beta my stories, be ready for work. And lots of it.

*looks over form* I have serious doubts about this. And I'm rarely serious about stuff like this.

What...happened to me? Why am I like this?

What would you do if your dreams were crushed in an instant? What would you do if you had to be what you've always loved...yet never understood? What would you do...if you were a pokemon?

Book One: The Veil of Shadows

And this...is only the beginning.

Chapter Two finished, Prologue posted.

I plot to rule the world. When I do, you can have a cookie. Thank you.

Last edited by Chaos Power Dragon; 08-20-2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: just editing
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Power Dragon View Post
Eh...I suppose I'll try this.

Name: Chaos Power Dragon
Contact Details: roennesc@cox.net (I'd prefer it if you use PMs. I check them more often than my e-mail. Which is like once a week.)
PM?: Erm...Yes?
Fandom: Pokemon, occasional Yu-gi-oh!/GX, Fantasy
Warnings: 1: I'm not on that often. 2: Sometimes it takes a while for me to get Chapter 2 out. Some fics I made have sat for months in my computer still on prolouges. But then, those sucked more than some two-year-olds' scribblings. 3: I suck. There is no doubt about it. So, if you beta my stories, be ready for work. And lots of it.

*looks over form* I have serious doubts about this. And I'm rarely serious about stuff like this.
I'll beta your fanfiction happily. Just be warned that I may take time to reply to your requests, as I am busy with my own fanfiction. Bout don't worry. Within four days of your Chapter being sent, I'll reply. PM me when you're ready with the first Chapter/Prologue.

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Lotad

Preferred Fandoms: Pokemon and, if this pops up, Naruto
Contact Details
AIM: MaskedWriter06
EMail: MaskedWriter06@aim.com
PM?: Yes.
Writing History: I've been writing ever since I've been in fifth grade. My fifth grade Language Arts teacher got a haiku of mine published in the local newpaper, and in an Anthology I can't currently remember. Also, she got one of my short stories published in the Anthology of Short Stories (Edit. 2003 Vol. XXX). After that, most of my writing has been relatively centered with class assignments, though every once in a while, I hit a spur that gives me this awesome idea, but it fades after a week (I was working on a twenty one page story, but I lost on of the pages, and I trashed it all, finding the missing page the following day...
*Member of GPS: No, I haven't, but once school starts (better time for me to start writing), I will.
*Preferences: I don't really have any current Preferences, though anything Naruto would be okay.
*Hates: Nothing really.
Writing Sample: I'll see what I can find or write up.

{URPG} | {Sparkz // Mastered @ 8,693} | {Anime}
-.- I'm taking a small minor break from Pe2K, as well as chatting on AIM... I'll probably be back May 15th, though I may not be on till the 28th for some reason.
This doesn't mean I drop out of everything I'm doing though... =/
Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milos View Post
Preferred Fandoms: Pokemon and, if this pops up, Naruto
Contact Details
AIM: MaskedWriter06
EMail: MaskedWriter06@aim.com
PM?: Yes.
Writing History: I've been writing ever since I've been in fifth grade. My fifth grade Language Arts teacher got a haiku of mine published in the local newpaper, and in an Anthology I can't currently remember. Also, she got one of my short stories published in the Anthology of Short Stories (Edit. 2003 Vol. XXX). After that, most of my writing has been relatively centered with class assignments, though every once in a while, I hit a spur that gives me this awesome idea, but it fades after a week (I was working on a twenty one page story, but I lost on of the pages, and I trashed it all, finding the missing page the following day...
*Member of GPS: No, I haven't, but once school starts (better time for me to start writing), I will.
*Preferences: I don't really have any current Preferences, though anything Naruto would be okay.
*Hates: Nothing really.
Writing Sample: I'll see what I can find or write up.
Well, if you read the rules, you'll realize that you are suposed to PM OR E-MAIL the form to me so that I can except it, and then post it. That's the rule, so read them again and follow the rules if you wish to apply correctly.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Lotad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
Well, if you read the rules, you'll realize that you are suposed to PM OR E-MAIL the form to me so that I can except it, and then post it. That's the rule, so read them again and follow the rules if you wish to apply correctly.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
Oops... sorry. I'll go do that now...

{URPG} | {Sparkz // Mastered @ 8,693} | {Anime}
-.- I'm taking a small minor break from Pe2K, as well as chatting on AIM... I'll probably be back May 15th, though I may not be on till the 28th for some reason.
This doesn't mean I drop out of everything I'm doing though... =/
Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Okay, since I just got accepted:

Name: Neo Pikachu
Preferred Fandoms: Adventure/Fantasy, Comedy
Contact Details:
Email: josephr25@optonline.net
AIM: Neo Pikachu82
PM?: Yes
Writing History: Started off really getting into story writing in my Freshman year of high school, starting with a short story called “Seron,” which was honestly pretty shabby. Shortly after that came “Wings of Virtue” and “The Rainbow Halo,” back in a time I had a strange obsession with angels. “Wings of Virtue” ended up being completed, the results in my opinion were just so-so. “The Rainbow Halo” never met completion and never will. Both of them were set in a Medieval time period, but brought very little of anything new to the table. Plotline also left something to be desired.

Once high school was done, I then moved on to college and started writing “The Forgotten Five,” a short, 100-page story about the lost children of the legendary bird Phoenix. Now this, actually had a great storyline and an excellent ending, but I ruined it with a crappy sequel that I never finished. Big mistake.

Shortly after, around Sophomore year, I wrote “Twisted Fate,” which was designed to be humorous and comical story, but when all was said and done, it ended up being kind of stupid when I reread it. The story was about five friends who find themselves in the most ridiculous of situations, magically turned into flower dancers by an evil and corrupt fairy (now you can see where this got stupid). Was about 350 pages long in MS Word, the biggest story I’ve ever written, besides Trial of Juno II. I don’t consider it a waste of time as much as… a place to figure out what went wrong to improve.

After that came “The Silver Talon,” which started off fantastic and really plowed on strong and had a great storyline, one being of a war of religions rather than just lands, the religion of Arrowsaw against the Seto religion. Also, hidden among their ranks was the mysterious “Dracos,” which were actually pure-blooded dragons under a human disguise (inspired by the “Brood” in Breath of Fire) I loved writing this for the longest time and then it hit lethal hole and I found it hard to keep the story progressing, until it eventually became impossible to write.

And then, around senior year or so, I started writing “The Black Sands,” (I’m not 100% sure on the name, I haven’t looked at that one in a long time) which started off about a group of gun-loving raiders called the Blackblades that get overthrown by a country that loves nothing more than being locked in it’s Medieval time period state, and uses the all-seeing Equinox (A being without any physical form) to tear apart their enemies. Shortly after, the Blackblades are forced to join one of the last military organizations alive, simply because of a mystical being called “Lesalas,” a creature very similar to Lugia who has the power to block out Equinox’s powers. A good and original idea, but never finished. To me, I had a quick and easy way to end the story but it would have been pretty abruptly. Also… I made the painful mistake of making way too many characters.

When that was said and done, I found PE2K and started writing Pokémon fan fiction instead. A few fics popped up here and there but none of them compared to what Trial of Juno I and II had become. “Road to Palantria” came close but never finished, something from the story screwed up the plotline. I then tried to rewrite Road to Palantria as “Legacy of Darzaras,” just without the Pokémon this time. It’s doing okay, a little stuck in the mud at the moment but it can get back into gear again.

And now, I’m writing “Black Rescue Team: Genesis Beyond” as the new story I’m working on, based on the upcoming Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. And the point of this writing, it’s about 29 pages and still going on strong.

Member of GPS: No, and I really should be…
Preferences: My preference on Beta writing would be to read Adventure/Fantasy fan fictions, since… as you can see above, I’ve worked on them for so long, even if some of them never got done. Many of them required me to discover the hard way how important it is to keep plotline in mind when writing a story, and Trial of Juno I and II really told me “Yep, you’ve got it now.” Since it’s the genre I love and that I have plenty of experience writing, I’d rather Beta read those kinds of stories.
Hates: Trainer/Journey Fan Fictions. To me, I’m so used to reading and writing stories of Adventure/Fantasy nature, and the big thing I dislike about Trainer/Journey fan fictions is they all seem to be the same, and seem to be far too common.
Writing Sample:Trial of Juno I, Trial of Juno II, Black Rescue Team: Genesis Beyond

Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Well, I have been accepted, so here it is:

Name: Tyranitar_Trainer

Preferred Fandoms (this shouldn’t be a problem but just in case non pokemon fanficcers want to be beta’d): Heh, mostly anime, but I can beta all sorts of things

Contact Details: (E-mail address(es), IM handles, etc.) arunei_shade@yahoo.com, TTar Trainer (AIM chat), sayorian_arunei (Yahoo chat)

PM?: (note if you shall receive applicants via pm) Yes

Writing History: (A brief history of your writing. Providing a link of a good fic will help considerably) Heh, well, I've been writing things ever since I was in second or third grade. I always got high marks in Reading and Langauge Arts classes, and writing is one of the things I do most in my spare time.

I didn't start actually working on fanfics, though, until sometime around a year or so after Pokemon came out. Before that, I didn't watch much anime, and didn't even know what fanfiction was. But I slowly got into it, and now fanfictions are my preferred style of writing. However, I do a lot of original things as well, though I don't post them for various reasons.

*Member of GPS: (Doesn’t matter, but you may receive a promotion in the group…) Yes, and I REALLY need to get my results in for the last contest ...

*Preferences: (Anything you shall make sure to beta) One Piece fics, anything related to Vampires/Zombies/Werewolves, horror and comedy fics

*Hates: (Anything you don’t wish to beta – ratings included) Romance...really, I'm finding I like Romance less and less. Also, please, no Trainer fics unless they are somehow original

(If you don’t fill in above two fields, you shall receive anything)

Writing Sample: Can be found in my post for the Story Archive, though direct links can be asked for. For the best examples, read False Appearances and Keepers of the Legends. Also, on Fanfiction.net, if you want you can search for Keepers of the Light. It's in the Vampire Hunter D fanfic section (under Anime).

Heh, whoo. Just out of curiosity, can we more experienced writers use this too? I hope so, because I might start have people beta my updates for Keepers of the Legends before I post them up ^^.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar_Trainer View Post

Heh, whoo. Just out of curiosity, can we more experienced writers use this too? I hope so, because I might start have people beta my updates for Keepers of the Legends before I post them up ^^.
I don't see why not, TT. Actually, that would be a good idea...