Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:26 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default FactCheck

Both Bush and Kerry has made attacks on one another, that's politics. But are they telling the truth? Or making false/misleading accusations? Well, for both sides, I generally took their word for it, I'm sure the last thing they want to hear about is a news story about them lying. I found a website that is pretty good tool for checking what's misleading: www.factcheck.org

If you want your facts right, use that website. They do extensive research, and include all their sources to come down with the facts. I sure learned a lot that was thought to be true, but turned out to be false.

Bush Accuses Kerry of "Higher Taxes." Higher Than What?
Bush accuses Kerry of 350 votes for "higher taxes". The problem with this "350 votes" is it's misleading. You are lead to think that Kerry voted a whopping 350 times for increasing taxes. But wait, that's not what Bush said, he said "higher," not "increase". What's the difference you ask? That's what I wondered. You see, those 350 votes, also includes when Kerry voted against lowering taxes AND leaving taxes unchanged. So, to the Bush team, when you don't lower taxes and leave taxes the same, that's "higher taxes." Which begs the question, higher than what? This 350 votes thing I have always thought Kerry voted for higher taxes (well, increase taxes), which was not the case. They're not actually "lying" either, they didn't say "increase", just "higher." Which again, higher than what? Higher than zero taxes? Full report here: http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=159

DNC Accuses Bush of Cutting Education
Another one, the Democratic National Committee internet ad accuses Bush of cutting funding for education, which is false. The average student would probably fall for this one pretty easily, as public schools aren't exactly in the best of shape with not enough money coming in. However, under Bush's plan, there's actually been more funding to education compared to the years of Clinton. So basically, the DNC say the program is underfunded (not enough money to education), but there's no cut in educational funding, but actually an increase of money to education. Full report here: http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=162