Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Lesbian mouse gene found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Well, other perspectives should be considered as well. Normality, of course, is subjective, but the standard of "normal" is generally what is average, commonplace, etc. By and large, most sexually reproducing organisms are heterosexual; thus, heterosexuality is normal. Homosexuality is a small minority, therefore it is abnormal, or, to use a synonymous term, unusual. For the same reason, large quantities of black people in Japan is unusual, even if there is nothing inherently unusual about having dark skin. I am no expert in this matter of course, and I will defer to your understanding of what is considered normal or abnormal in biology, but the percentage of people self-identifying as homosexual is 4% in the US, and seems to be roughly around that in other Western countries. ADHD, which is considered abnormal, is diagnosed in 9% of American children between 8 to 15%, so going off commonality alone it would seem that homosexuality could conceivably qualify as abnormal (I know that this is not a far assessment as there are other factors involved in considering something abnormal, but it is one piece of the puzzle). I also would like to ask if being genetically abnormal is the same thing as being biologically abnormal, because I would think that as there are things that can be abnormal without having discernible genetic cause (i.e. a person exposed to extreme conditions in childhood could grow abnormally despite being genetically perfect), one cannot simply equate the two.
Hypertension has >50% prevalence rate and does have a significant genetic component to it (which is why we as doctors do routinely ask if your family have histories of stuff like diabetes and hypertension). You cannot define abnormal by just the commonality of the situation as in this case it's something that most of the people in the US have and is definitely abnormal by virtue of the underlying pathology. That is true, yes. ADHD is considered abnormal behaviour because there is an underlying pathology that can be corrected (to a certain extent) via pharmacology and behavioural therapy. We know there is an oversecretion of dopamine in certain parts of the brain that has a major correlation with ADHD and that correcting this oversecretion depresses the symptoms.

Genetic abnormality is in fact different in its assessment from "medical" abnormality in it that genetics tend not to care so much about the phenotypes. Something that is common (rate of >1%) is considered to be wild type whether or not it causes a pathology or not. Of course, the interaction between homosexuality and the environment is still being worked on. We simply have very little understanding of it versus something like Type II diabetes in a genetic sense. And we don't know much about that either.

In the end, I think that the end relation comes from whether or not there is a pathology involved. Homosexuality isn't a pathology as defined by DSM IV, so we cannot use pathology as a standard measurement for homosexuality to classify it as abnormal (or spoken in another way, it is normal according to DSM IV). People have done massive amounts of research on homosexuality and could not find an underlying pathology like ADHD. Everything they have found is within normal limits. It's just that they are attracted to the same gender in much the same way as we are attracted to the opposite sex. That is, the "abnormality" is driven by things like Christianity and people's opinions rather than an underlying pathology, per se.

You may ask about things like pedophilia. I don't have the authority on pedophilia research to make an educated opinion on the matter. There may or may not be a pathology underlying this. Certainly some fetishes (attraction to an inanimate object for sexual stimulation) do have some pathology underlying it due to classical and operant conditioning. It's hard to say if something like pedophilia would be in similar vain or not.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Um, there were white people in Africa a thousand years ago. Try the ancient Greeks and Romans. White people can survive in the area, stop talking.

But by your logic, we live to do nothing but reproduce, suggesting that is what we live for, am I correct? Maybe you should realize that reproduction is not as important as your own survival. And that is what your body's function is, why else would you need bones? To keep your body together. Why else do we have eyes in the front of our heads? So we can hunt. Why do we have a nose? To breathe the air. Why do we have legs? So we can move. Without any of this, we would simply not exist as a human, and we most certainty would not be where we are today.
Greeks and Romans were foreigners to the land. Several thousands years of evolution already separated them by then. White people now can survive in drastic conditions thanks to our ingenuity but when man was just starting out it wasn't really like that. A white man would've probably died out in Africa.

I would respond to the rest of you guys but I've decided to withdraw. I've come up with some counter-examples to my arguments myself and I would have to dig deep into genetics and other bio topics to understand homosexuality better. I think the best way to understand any of this is pursuing a professional career in this area of science but that isn't gonna happen in this life time (unless we can enhance our life span in my lifetime, yeah, more time to learn).
Go to the Anime section

Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
Greeks and Romans were foreigners to the land. Several thousands years of evolution already separated them by then. White people now can survive in drastic conditions thanks to our ingenuity but when man was just starting out it wasn't really like that. A white man would've probably died out in Africa.
But the point still stands, the Greeks and Romans did fine in Africa. There's no biological reason that white men couldn't survive in Africa given the same tools and upbringing. They would be more apt to sunburn, but that's about it. Black people don't have any other innate advantages over white people (small difference in physical ability as evidenced by a large percentage of high-level athletes being black, possibly? I don't think there's much evidence for it) so there's really no reason that they couldn't. The differences between human races are tiny, and many biologists would say essentially nonexistent as race is a cultural concept, not a biological one.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 05-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Race does have a biological difference. It has a lot to do with location though, rather than anything else.

African-American women are much more likely to have sarcoidosis than all other populations.
East-Asians are more likely to have EGFR receptor mutations, leading to specific cures for certain cancers.
Cystic fibrosis is almost exclusively a caucasian disease.
Sickle Cell disease is almost exclusively an African disease, of course due to malaria.
Africans also tend to have G6P mutations, also due to malaria.
Mediterranian descent and African descents have a much higher chance at thalassemias.

What I'm getting at is that race does change the way we handle people in medicine. Interestingly enough, I do consider all humans equal, as obviously despite these differences in biological identity, we still have roughly the same spread of genes, abide different mutations.

Of course, locations and habits also have a huge effect. North Americans, for example, are more prone to obesity due to both a genetic predisposition plus the sedentary culture. Same with Type II diabetes.

So yeah, in terms of medicine, I would be racist, sexist, sexual preference-ist, location-ist, family-ist, etc. because we follow silly things like statistics and biological markers. Seriously, if say you (Lus) come to me and tell me you have abdominal pain on your right, I'm going to assume appendicitis just because you're young. If you're fat, forty, fertile, and female and have abdominal pain on the right side, I'm going to assume gallstones until proven otherwise. :3

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 05-07-2011 at 05:33 AM.