Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Stardy Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Stardy
Default Re: Things You Hate in Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operative View Post

i agree and disagree. some pop songs, not necessarily only american music, have a techno-like sound in which autotune is alright. but in no way should autotune take up any more than 1/5 of a song.

but then again, when has techno ever included that many vocals. :/
For Techno including it, not a lot. At all. But it's generally the only way to go if it is ever used. Clean vocals across a sweet techno breakdown in the background? Just won't work. At all.

For the first part, eh, I guess. The Techno-pop songs (I'll just call it Club for short, for a simple term) that use it do generally benefit from it, but more times than not its because of the techno beat (see above), in which you simply can't have a clean vocal across, otherwise it just won't work, or will be out of place. Club songs do benefit from it, but really, like you said, shouldn't take up more than 1/5th of a song.

Stardy = awesome
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-

IMO, if a person can prove they can sing when they sing live without the aid of autotune, then they can use it in the studio. Not saying it's the best thing to do, but it's justified.

However, performances like this makes me start to question the artist's place in the music industry. Will.i.am's auto-tune was horrible. Admittedly, they were dancing around a lot, but Fergie didn't use autotune, so what's Will.i.am's excuse?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

I think autotuneing can be used only to make a song sound how the writer wanted it to sound in their head, but if the singer needs it to actually sound 'good', then they should simply be replaced.

Also, since I live with an Aunt who loves rap/hip-hop, she's playing some of her collection for the Super Bowl.
Rap pisses me off. When I hear it, I just want to murder something like Lois does in that one episode of Family Guy where they run out of paper towels on Christmas. I also feel like puking. Like literally, bile rises in my throat. Yeah, it's really gross.
The word 'hate' doesn't begin to describe how I feel about Rap.

EDIT:
Strangely enough, the only thing that calms me down is Thrash Metal :P

Last edited by 3m0d0ll; 02-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Rhys! Offline

Send a message via AIM to Rhys!

Songs with long intros.
I get bored easily. :/
Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 PM
miyoun Offline

Send a message via MSN to miyoun Send a message via Skype™ to miyoun

(i use kpop songs as examples because autotune is used mainly in those songs that i listen to)

Let's clear something up. OP said autotune shouldn't be used in pop songs. Since pop actually means popular, I'm just going to throw it out that it's okay for autotune to be used.

The music I listen to has a lot of autotuned songs, but all the artists CAN sing live. It's just the picture of the song, cannot always be made with clear vocals.

Take this for example. 2NE1 are known for their producer (Teddy Park) to be very autotune happy in ALL of 2NE1's songs. You can tell that there is definitely too much autotune. If you skip to 1.32 to when Bom Park (Jenny Park w/e you want to call her) sings, there is little to no autotune. Then when Dara starts to sing, there is still some autotune on her voice.
To be honest, most of the autotune works in this song despite there being a lot. They can sing, (especially Bom) and have proved it in other songs, but they absolutely suck live (especially Bom and CL) and need the aid of autotuned backing vocals.

But compare it to this. The actual song itself has very minimal autotune but does use a lot of vocal effects to set the mood of the song. It works out a lot better, and these guys are great live. Another example of good vocal effects in a song is in Gummy (거미) - 사랑은 없다. There isn't any autotune and a few vocal effects at "hoh no more drama" and stuff. works great)

Okay, I don't listen to this group but they're critized a lot for the use of autotune on their songs. I can't even listen to the whole thing it's so bad.
Clearly it does not work. I know one of them as an ex-member of a ballad group called XING and he has an amazing voice. Shame in this group there is SO much autotune. If you compare this to 2NE1, 2NE1 seems to have hardly any autotune next to this.
There is also a lot of vocal effects that don't work.

I just scoured through over 3000 songs to find one with autotune that actually sounded overly amazing, you know what. I couldn't find one that was completely autotuned that actually sounded good.

tl;dr
autotune isn't as bad as people make it out to be

don't wanna be a sing sing boy | twitter | last.fm

Last edited by miyoun; 02-06-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

I hate any music that isn't meant to be played at a retardedly loud volume. General rule of thumb, it has to sound good in a skateboarding video. Of course, there are exceptions.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch

Basically, I hate accents that people don't have, or exaggerate heavily...

Examples:
Lily Allen
Kate Nash
Arctic Monkeys
Wombats

OK so it's all britshit. But you get the drift, aye?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3m0d0ll View Post
Strangely enough, the only thing that calms me down is Thrash Metal :P
Very odd. Thrash is meant to feckin' stir you up man, make you crazy. My mate went to see Sodom last night and his bullet belt literally came off, and he ended up crowdsurfing with ammunition in his fist. \m/

Tell me, which thrash bands calm you down? :P

Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombi View Post

Very odd. Thrash is meant to feckin' stir you up man, make you crazy. My mate went to see Sodom last night and his bullet belt literally came off, and he ended up crowdsurfing with ammunition in his fist. \m/

Nothing else matters is a calming song by a thrash ba- owait metallica lol
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:

Personally, I think metal calms me down because it overpowers the Rap. Not just because it's epicer, but because it's simply louder ^.^
It's also familiar territory. Like, you know how when you get a hamster and they don't eat for a couple hours after you put him in his new home because he's uncomfortable so you have to play a reggae CD and then he starts running on his little wheel, then he eats food and passes out? Same thing.
Well... that's the worst comparison ever, but you probably get my point xD
Anyway, to answer your question:

Sworn Amongst, Dimension Zero, 44 Caliber Killer, Dishammer, doesmaidencountasthrash?

EDIT:
It's not REAL ammunition, is it? xD
Idk about where you live, but in America, that's illegal :P

Last edited by 3m0d0ll; 02-07-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
I can't stand most metal and screaming.

Other than that nothing really bugs me (except willow smith but that's a different story)
This summed it up pretty nicely.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Quote:
doesmaidencountasthrash?

EDIT:
1. No because it's not :P
2. It's spent ammo, not live. Perfectly legal
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi

Quote:
Personally, I think metal calms me down because it overpowers the Rap. Not just because it's epicer, but because it's simply louder ^.^
It's also familiar territory. Like, you know how when you get a hamster and they don't eat for a couple hours after you put him in his new home because he's uncomfortable so you have to play a reggae CD and then he starts running on his little wheel, then he eats food and passes out? Same thing.
Well... that's the worst comparison ever, but you probably get my point xD
Anyway, to answer your question:

Sworn Amongst, Dimension Zero, 44 Caliber Killer, Dishammer, doesmaidencountasthrash?

EDIT:
There's plenty of metal that chills me out, but thrash? If it calms you down, it's not doing its job right. I mean, when this starts playing at BOA this year, I doubt the crowd's gonna be sitting on the grass!

Have you experienced any live? I reckon if I went up to a thrash band after they played a gig and said 'thanks man, that chilled me out', they'd probably be insulted! Last time I saw a thrash band I was privileged enough to have the frontman kneel in front of me and let me share the mic for the best bit of the song. 1:38-1:52! When he came to give me a high five afterwards, I certainly wasn't calm, I was shaking like a shitting dog and all I could say was 'thanks man, that was ******* AWESOME'

I dunno, I just find it very strange indeed. Go to a gig!

And aye, what Dan said. Though I've been stopped at train stations, airports and gig venues.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Quote:

There's plenty of metal that chills me out, but thrash? If it calms you down, it's not doing its job right. I mean, when this starts playing at BOA this year, I doubt the crowd's gonna be sitting on the grass!

Have you experienced any live? I reckon if I went up to a thrash band after they played a gig and said 'thanks man, that chilled me out', they'd probably be insulted! Last time I saw a thrash band I was privileged enough to have the frontman kneel in front of me and let me share the mic for the best bit of the song. 1:38-1:52! When he came to give me a high five afterwards, I certainly wasn't calm, I was shaking like a shitting dog and all I could say was 'thanks man, that was ******* AWESOME'

I dunno, I just find it very strange indeed. Go to a gig!

And aye, what Dan said. Though I've been stopped at train stations, airports and gig venues.
:O
I think I need to clarify what I said. xD
Thrash calm me down when I'm being forced to listen to Rap. In any other scenario... well, let's just say that I've sprained my neck quite a few times ^_^;

And I've only been to three concerts - other than when my dad was the front man for Taking Fire - during my life.
First: Iron Maiden. \m/ But my dad literally duct taped my wrists to my chair xD
Second: nevershoutnever .__. I have no comment to this other than Chris looked at me and smiled and I nearly pissed my pants. But in my defense, I was wearing my Guns N' Roses shirt c: ♥
Third: BVB :P Yeah, all in all it was a sick-ass show.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 AM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon

Quote:
Very odd. Thrash is meant to feckin' stir you up man, make you crazy.
Quote:
There's plenty of metal that chills me out, but thrash? If it calms you down, it's not doing its job right.
You're saying this as if you're doing it wrong by listening to Thrash Metal in an orthodox manner, which means most people are listening to it in the wrong way. Any band can relax you so long as you enjoy the music, Thrash being no exception.

The best way to describe this is the fact that most people are relaxing when listening to almost any form of music. When you're listening to almost any form of music, what are you typically doing? You're sitting in your home, in your car, on the bus, on the train-- you're sitting or lounging, listening to music. This is enjoyment, isolation: relaxation. We do this with every form of music. If people were supposed to always get pumped and crazy from listening to an aggressive form of music (Hardcore, Grindcore, Thrash, Death, Black), then a majority of the population which enjoyed that music would have permanent brain damage and spinal injury due to headbanging and thrashing.

There is no wrong way to enjoy any form of music.